Anyone else go tubeless on their allant?

fooferdoggie

I like the comfort of those 2.35" tires but they really slow the bike down. My bulls with the older bosch motor and 1.5" tires would accelerate far better and I tended to go about 3mph faster. I went tubeless on out tandem and it really improved the ride.
The problem with tubeless is the cost. Two new tires (75.00 each) for Schwalbe G-One Speed 2" tires. Then you need rim tape I sued the best rated dt-swiss its 27.00 a roll and will do three rims with two layers. Then valve stems I used muc-off they are 30.00 for 2. Then you need a sealant. I will use the new flat-out for small tires. Thats what I used in my tandem wheels and they have not lost air in 3 weeks. https://shop.flatouttire.com/collec...s/products/1-pack-quickstrike-small-tire-16oz
Then you need either a compressor or co2 to get the bead set.
Also a good idea is a plug kit in case the flat out does not work I bought the best rated one they have a lot but I got the lower end version they have a cool one that will pump your tire up and then seal it. http://www.dynaplug.com/bike.html
Hope to have it all Tuesday. No one had the tires locally or the tape in the right width.

Cost? A few hundred invested into a bike that cost several thousand? And it's not as if you're spending that amount every few months...

Personally, I find the stock setup is fine. I get plenty of speed, except going up 20% hills. In fact, I'd often like less speed going down the many long downhills on our winding local roads...so a change it setup wouldn't do much for me.

I find I actually work harder on my bulls but it does not feel like it. I really miss the acceleration. the 8 is a pig compared to my bulls. but onceI change over and I can now use my cafe lock on the back. uphill the tires don't matter. even using the neon to make full power at lower speeds to help acceleration it still wont do as well. with al little work Ioculd mount my wheels from the bulls onto the trek and have 700's on there. but I would have to deal with the sped sensor on the disc since trek uses bolt on discs and not quick lock I have on the other wheels.

I don't own an Allant (Giant Explore, same class of bike) but am a tubeless convert too.

In my case it offered similar puncture protection to my Marathon+Tannus combo with a far, far superior ride quality. That combo offered fantastic protection but felt heavy and flat. My current setup, tubeless Specialized Pathfinder Pros, feels peppy, nible, supple. Night and day. I've got a couple of thousand km on the setup now without issue. I commute through glass and road debris daily.

Maintenance involves a reminder to top up sealant every 3 months, and a weekly tyre pressure check which I'd do anyway with tubes. I carry a spare tube, small tubeless repair kit, mini pump and co2 canister in my pannier.

Had a stick through my tubeless mtb tyre the other month. It gushed a small fountain of sealant then sealed up fine. Topped the air up with the hand pump and on my way. Happy days

I don't own an Allant (Giant Explore, same class of bike) but am a tubeless convert too.

In my case it offered similar puncture protection to my Marathon+Tannus combo with a far, far superior ride quality. That combo offered fantastic protection but felt heavy and flat. My current setup, tubeless Specialized Pathfinder Pros, feels peppy, nible, supple. Night and day. I've got a couple of thousands km on the setup now without issue. I commute through glass and road debris daily.

Maintenance involves a reminder to top up sealant every 3 months, and a weekly tyre pressure check which I'd do anyway with tubes. I carry a spare tube, small tubeless repair kit, mini pump and co2 canister in my pannier.

Had a stick through my tubeless mtb tyre the other month. It gushed a small fountain of sealant then sealed up fine. Topped the air up with my hand pump and on my way.
so far using the thinner flat-out I have not had to add air to my tandem tires in 3 weeks. so it does not evaporate like most seals that'd why I went with it. but I wonder if it will get used up? maybe not till I have some punctures? We got so tired of the harsh marathon + ride on the 8 those fat tires really eat up the energy.

all up and running
just got my new tubeless tires onto my allent 8. a huge difference in ride quality over the stock 2.35" tires. at 60 psi they are as smooth but they are so much faster. acceleration is much better closer to my older bosch power bike with smaller tires.
trek new tires.jpg

@fooferdoggie did the shop say anything about compatibility between the 35mm inner rim width and the 2.0” tire? I just ordered the same ones to try it out but am now seeing that 2.0” is on the edge of compatibility for a rim that wide.

@fooferdoggie did the shop say anything about compatibility between the 35mm inner rim width and the 2.0” tire? I just ordered the same ones to try it out but am now seeing that 2.0” is on the edge of compatibility for a rim that wide.
no but it seems to work. it is tubes so the side walls are stiffer on the tire. all I can find is for mountain bikes because its a rim for such bikes. hell it seems even the 2.35" tire the bike came with is not bug enough. but since this is not a off road tire it maybe fine. its nice and round as you see. my mechanic did mt say anything and he loved the ride.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear what you think of them long term. 60 PSI though - that seems lofty for a tubeless setup. Also seems like it would be a harsh ride.

I went on a 30 mile ride at 60 pis they may be the same or a tiny bit stiffer than the stock tires. at 50 they are a little more cushy. I wanted to see how they felt so much more silly and I tended to be about 2mph faster on them. but I think I may go back down to 50 psi. I was so fast I knocked over this tree. they max out at 65 psi.
IMG_1353.jpeg

ok my first full comm ute on the new tires. I usually have 50 to 60% of the battery left and thats usually closer to 50 and 12 to 16 mile range left. today I had 61% left and 24 mile range left. thats a good difference.

Nice! I saw a 10% bump in range after going tubeless. That was from the heavy Marathon/Tannus combo to lighter Pathfinders. Unexpected but appreciated. I thought it was my imagination at first. Let's me squeeze an extra commute trip into a charging cycle.

man marathons are bad enough by themselves. gad we got rid of them on the tandem. the best part is O dent need as large of tires to get the same smoothness.

whoa. please check the max pressure for those rims at that tire size. 60 psi tubeless on a 2” tire seems insanely high. the rim is often the limiting factor for tubeless, not the tire.

whoa. please check the max pressure for those rims at that tire size. 60 psi tubeless on a 2” tire seems insanely high. the rim is often the limiting factor for tubeless, not the tire.
I totally agree. Two 2" (tubed) tyres I use (Electrak 2.0 and Marathon Winter Plus) allow to be ridden from 36 psi, still with tubes! I typically ride them at some 40 psi. With tubeless, lower pressures are allowed for the tyre size of 2".

Back