Brand new tire blew off the rim

Now that makes sense.

This is exactly my point. It is totally fine to go tubeless because you want specific tire or just don't like tubes, but it has nothing to do with getting to the next level in weight, RR or range just because you throw the tubes away. Some tubeless people here try to make an impression switching tubeless made a great impact. Comparing to your old tire - may be. Comparing to same tire in tubed setup - no way.

just throwing the tubes away isn’t the point. like most things it’s a system, wheel, tape, sealant, tire. tubeless allows a softer, smoother, more supple tire at a lower pressure.

many, many high end e-bikes are marketed as tubeless ready. that they are sold with a tube and a particular type of tire has more to do with distribution and variation of preferences than disinterest in tubeless amount a wide range of cyclists. most high end bikes are also sold without pedals. does that mean people have no interest in pedaling them 😂

many, many high end e-bikes are marketed as tubeless ready. that they are sold with a tube and a particular type of tire has more to do with distribution and variation of preferences than disinterest in tubeless amount a wide range of cyclists. most high end bikes are also sold without pedals. does that mean people have no interest in pedaling them 😂
The fact they are tubeless ready doesn't mean owners will convert them. So you are projecting your own experience to the general audience and I am doing same. Let's see what people are actually using! I opened new thread with vote about ebike tire setup - please join and vote here.
ride quality on a heavy bike with the associated high pressures required to avoid pinch flats is crappy.
I calculate pressure in my tires based on tire size/width, surface and weight - nothing like
avoid pinch flats
is taken into account. Tires pressure calculators doesn't even separate tubeless and tube setup:
1691709420632.png

In my particular case the suggested pressure is 10psi higher than the lowest my tires allow. So the limit is not due to the tubes, but due to the weight.

Last edited:
the tires I am getting say 10 psi lower for running them tubeless. my DT-swiss rims are 80 psi for tubed tires 59 for tubeless.

"tubeless ready" doesn't mean that it will always be easy and straightforward to put tubeless tires on the rims, either.

I'd argue that from my own experience tubeless has more advantages than disadvantages.
right the rims most likely tubeless. but not the tires and you would still need rim tape and a valve and maybe a tire.

right the rims most likely tubeless. but not the tires and you would still need rim tape and a valve and maybe a tire.
My own experience has been that the rims and tires have to work together, and they don't necessarily always do.

Gotta admit, i've had variable results tubeless - admittedly this is 4/5 peoples bikes over a 6 year period .

The first was a nightmare - initial installation by lbs, at least 3 hours trying to get a reliable result myself overthe following month, then another 2 hours at the shop where I learnt HEAPS but still had a leak - I eventually spotted the microscopic split along the rim tape allowing air and sealant to run into the rim cavity! Once fixed, that tyre lasted one ride before the sidewall was sliced by a sharp rock!

I've had 2/3 tyres burp off the rim in use - usually under extreme conditions eg high speed landings sideways into berms , the first 1/2 landings seem to allow pressure drops because the tyre starts feeling squirmy, if I'm silly enough to continue if can then pop off.

The other week, a freshly fitted tyre dropped pressure overnight. I was certain it was correctly seated, but on closer inspection there was a flat spot on the inside lip of the rim ( not visible with the tyre on and no detectable buckle) . No idea what I hit, but thanks for the reminder to go visit the lbs....
Wow this sounds like a nightmare!
This is not my jam at all, im not an aggressive rider like PDoz, im just curious about the benefits of running tubeless, they would have to be substantial to offset this much hassle?
I did a search and it said tubeless allow you to ride at a lower PSI, there has to be more to it than that?

Wow this sounds like a nightmare!
This is not my jam at all, im not an aggressive rider like PDoz, im just curious about the benefits of running tubeless, they would have to be substantial to offset this much hassle?
I did a search and it said tubeless allow you to ride at a lower PSI, there has to be more to it than that?

I couldn't care less about the alleged lower pressure on tubeless - in fact, I'd argue that tannus armor + tubes can be run at lower pressure than tubeless - at least with the sort of riding I do ( rocky mtb )

The reason I prefer tubeless is the quality of the ride -I've used same tyre, same bike, run tubeless, tubed, and tube with tannus and I believe I can feel the difference. I also swap wheels between bikes, and have started a ride and thought " yuck, that's the wheel with tannus" , or " better be careful, that's the wheel with a tube" .

Tubeless at the right pressure feels lively - the tyre reacts to rocks quicker, rebounds more consistently, and feels more consistent as it slides.

Slip a tube in, and there is friction between the sidewall and tube +/- about 100 gms more unsprung weight - yes, you CAN feel that ( at least, on my carbon levo sl with upgraded suspension dialed in well ) . It's more than just unsprung weight, though - I recently dropped 200 gms off the back with a lighter cassette , it felt more lively but not as much difference as I get by ditching the tubes.

Now, slip in tannus plus tubes and the ride is dead. It's like having 2/3 clicks too high on both compression and rebound, plus dragging the kids through sand. Still the best puncture protection I've experienced, but HORRIBLE ride quality. Perfect for the kids bike .....no fixing flats and a chance to keep up with them.....unfortunately they have learnt to fit their own tyres so I can forget about that.

BTW , I carry plugs, patches, and an ultralight spare tube. I don't carry sealant. Anything serious enough to need sealant replaced is going to need the tube- eg sliced sidewall . Or a big burp with the bead / seal breaking - it's easier to slip a tube in than trying to get the bead to seal using a hand pump!

Oh, as for fixing flats the easy way -My wife has an internal gear hub, she just carries a sausage tube ( can't remember the brand, but it's a cylinder rather than loop so can be easilly fitted without removing the wheel.)

Slip a tube in, and there is friction between the sidewall and tube +/- about 100 gms more unsprung weight - yes, you CAN feel that ( at least, on my carbon levo sl with upgraded suspension dialed in well ) . It's more than just unsprung weight, though - I recently dropped 200 gms off the back with a lighter cassette , it felt more lively but not as much difference as I get by ditching the tubes.
I totally see the point, especially for weight-optimize carbon-frame ebike. For me and many users here weight optimization is not in priority at all, since I use it not just for fun rides, but for commute and errands. I have 2 quite heavy metal motorcycle mirrors, dashcam, set of tools and lock, fenders, couple of cages attached to rack and 2nd battery. These all are essentials for my rides and they are adding many kilos/pounds to bike weight. And I am not alone with this approach for ebike equipment. For us, 100/200 grams seams like nothing at all.

This happened many years ago when I was about 16 years old. I lived in farm country and our neighbor had four of us neighbor boys over to help him putting up hay. As a reward he took us to the movies and on the way he stopped to put air in a tire while we sat in the car. We got back on the road and he says. "Wow, the car sure rides and handles a lot better now doesn't it. Well you guessed it. we all agreed at which point he informed us he put the air in the spare tire.
I think we can all agree that when we do some things like change the oil in our car it seems to run and feel better. But does it really, No. Kind of like a placebo. Hey, if it feels good do it.
Anyway it is tubes in my bike and tubeless for my auto. When they make tubeless for bikes minus the slimy slime I will change. I hate the mess!

For me and many users here weight optimization is not in priority at all,..

And I am not alone with this approach for ebike equipment. For us, 100/200 grams seams like nothing at all.

I feel the same way.
I don't care what what my ebike weighs, it's still less than half of what my dirt bike weighed and less than 20% of what my street biked weighed.

I took my front wheel off and weighed it,..

20230811_123433.jpg

20230811_130021.jpg

It came in at 11.5 pounds. (measured on a bathroom scale which isn't 100% accurate.)

I've got the tire and tube, Tannus inserts, Mr Tuffy tire liners, and half a quart of Flat Out.

I spent over $350 CAD for the inserts, liners, and the slimy stuff.

I really don't want a flat tire, but I'm prepared for that too, except for a cut in the sidewall.
That's when I'll have to call a tow truck,.. if I've got cellphone service?

This happened many years ago when I was about 16 years old.
"Wow, the car sure rides and handles a lot better now doesn't it. Well you guessed it. we all agreed at which point he informed us he put the air in the spare tire.

I had a friend that rotated his tires on his Honda Civic. (directional tires, so just front to back swap.)
Then he backed his car 20 feet out of the driveway and parked it on the road.
He said that he could feel the difference in the ride on his 20 foot trip in reverse.
I just bit my tongue.
I felt like telling him that I let 3 pounds of pressure out of one of his tires, "which tire was it?" but I just let it go.

I will admit though, that I'm sure both @PDoz and I could both feel the difference between our ebikes.
That difference is night and day.

I will admit though, that I'm sure both @PDoz and I could both feel the difference between our ebikes.
That difference is night and day.

AND our step through has tubes , comfortable seat, high bars - just like yours.

I'm pretty sure you'd also notice the difference between my giant fugly and the special SL - in fact, I suspect you'd really like fugly - she's a comfortable ego free ride. I checked - tannus with tube both ends on her - she needs to be trustworthy.

. When they make tubeless for bikes minus the slimy slime I will change. I hate the mess!

You CAN run tubeless without sealant - if done properly, it's as reliable as the average tubed set up - everything is fine until something sharp comes along.

BUT , you need a precise installation , in which case there wouldn't be any mess with sealant.

I couldn't care less about the alleged lower pressure on tubeless - in fact, I'd argue that tannus armor + tubes can be run at lower pressure than tubeless - at least with the sort of riding I do ( rocky mtb )

The reason I prefer tubeless is the quality of the ride -I've used same tyre, same bike, run tubeless, tubed, and tube with tannus and I believe I can feel the difference. I also swap wheels between bikes, and have started a ride and thought " yuck, that's the wheel with tannus" , or " better be careful, that's the wheel with a tube" .

Tubeless at the right pressure feels lively - the tyre reacts to rocks quicker, rebounds more consistently, and feels more consistent as it slides.

Now, slip in tannus plus tubes and the ride is dead. It's like having 2/3 clicks too high on both compression and rebound, plus dragging the kids through sand. Still the best puncture protection I've experienced, but HORRIBLE ride quality. Perfect for the kids bike .....no fixing flats and a chance to keep up with them.....unfortunately they have learnt to fit their own tyres so I can forget about that.

BTW , I carry plugs, patches, and an ultralight spare tube. I don't carry sealant. Anything serious enough to need sealant replaced is going to need the tube- eg sliced sidewall . Or a big burp with the bead / seal breaking - it's easier to slip a tube in than trying to get the bead to seal using a hand pump!

Oh, as for fixing flats the easy way -My wife has an internal gear hub, she just carries a sausage tube ( can't remember the brand, but it's a cylinder rather than loop so can be easilly fitted without removing the wheel.)
I knew there was more to it! Thanks man, getting propper info like this is one of the reasons i dig this place!

Back