Is that new electric bicycle your looking at legal?

Nomad

The question is just that as it pertains to public use not can I get away with it. Also to help people looking to get in to electric bicycles to narrow there search down if there wanting to keep it legal. 1st let me say bikes that go faster then the limit assisted aren't bad they have there place but, salesman and companies should make it clear to the buyer and not skate around the issue. Of course there are other thing that define it's legality. While it does very from place at this point it doesn't very as much as people would like you to think.

To further complicate the issue, e-bike laws vary by state, county and even individual towns. Keeping current with these laws can be a daunting task. Fortunately, enforcement is lax and often non existent in many jurisdictions.

Keeping these laws from getting out of hand is the responsibility of every rider. Those who ride recklessly will only cause more laws to be enacted and enforced.

To further complicate the issue, e-bike laws vary by state, county and even individual towns. Keeping current with these laws can be a daunting task. Fortunately, enforcement is lax and often non existent in many jurisdictions.

Keeping these laws from getting out of hand is the responsibility of every rider. Those who ride recklessly will only cause more laws to be enacted and enforced.
Agree keeping these laws from getting out of hand but more states are in line with each other then people think to a degree. Like what state aren't on board with the 20mph or 28mph assist limmit? I'm not talking about trails but roads.

You Americans and Canadians have it good with your limits. We're stuck with 25 km/h here in Australia, which I believe is too low given our commute and density similarities to the aforementioned countries, and our relative lack of quality dedicated cycling infrastructure.

I've written to our state transport minister laying out an argument for a review of the existing regs. In response I got the most generic form letter back defining existing Ebike regulations. State government at its finest.

It's also legal to sell electronic bikes and scooters here for 'private land use' - escooters are prohibited outright in our state - but from what I've seen around the derestricted ebikes are pretty niche. Blast past a police officer in the wrong mood on one and you're liable for thousands in fines as well.

Id like to see a lot more pressure put on government to change the regulations. They're adopted from the UK virtually wholesale, which themselves I read were foistered on the emerging Ebike community by the unpowered cycling advocacy body. My commute is near parity with travelling by car: 30 min by Ebike vs 25 min by car. Even a small bump up to 32 km/h would see this cut down by up to 20%. Anyway, rant over.

We're stuck with 25 km/h here in Australia
It is the European, not the British law. In theory, Australia should get a better access to Euro e-bikes (that are made in Taiwan anyway) but it is not so (you certainly know what I mean).

We at least have the option to buy an S-Pedelec (45 km/h) in Europe, register it, insure, and ride legally. S-Pedelecs are rare (e.g. Vado 6.0, Allant+ S, R&M HS...) and the most expensive in the segment. The police told me they only found two registered S-Pedelecs for Poland, one of them being mine. You Australians even don't get such a chance, I guess. The New Zealand e-bike law model should be embraced by Australia! (Only a limit on the nominal motor power).
but from what I've seen around the derestricted ebikes are pretty niche.
I don't think the law-abiding German people derestrict their e-bikes. France has defined draconian penalties for riding illegal e-bikes. Meanwhile, any Pole tries to derestrict their e-bike. Take my Vado SL as an example. The bike is made the way a weak cyclist typically rides it within 25 km/h even derestricted. Adding more assistance and pedalling harder, the e-bike actually would not ride faster than 34 km/h on the flat and with no wind. I had to derestrict my SL because I would be eliminated from group rides with traditional cyclists otherwise!

And the future looks really bad. Big market players must have got a clear signal from European authorities to put an end to e-bike derestriction. Any time I fancy buying yet another Specialized e-bike, I get sober with this thought: "Why should I buy a 25 km/h road e-bike I wouldn't be able to derestrict?"

Agree keeping these laws from getting out of hand but more states are in line with each other then people think to a degree. Like what state aren't on board with the 20mph or 28mph assist limmit? I'm not talking about trails but roads.
I know Florida doesn't care, and I believe there's one more state that has it right as well. Utah maybe? Anyway, Florida made a single clean broad stroke when they passed a law (last summer?) that states an e-bike can be ridden anywhere an analog bike can be ridden (regardless of class). Hopefully some clown won't mess that up for us....

Further, they have a very progressive outlook regarding bikes. Perhaps they realize nice trails draw riders, potentially riders that have come a LONG way that are very likely to stay a day or 2? This past weekend the wife and I just rode a brand new multi million dollar connector connecting an existing 46 mile state trail to a more local county trail in a popular tourist area. This project involved a tunnel going under a really busy state highway. SUPER nice! Notable was that the local staging area (there's a bunch of those as well) had cars with plates from several other states....

Last edited:
I know Florida doesn't care, and I believe there's one more state that has it right as well. Utah maybe? Anyway, Florida made a single clean broad stroke when they passed a law (last summer?) that states an e-bike can be ridden anywhere an analog bike can be ridden (regardless of class). Hopefully some clown won't mess that up for us....

Further, they have a very progressive outlook regarding bikes. Perhaps they realize nice trails draw riders, potentially riders that have come a LONG way that are very likely to stay a day or 2? This past weekend the wife and I just rode a brand new multi million dollar connector connecting an existing 46 mile state trail to a more local county trail in a popular tourist area. This project involved a tunnel going under a really busy state highway. SUPER nice! Notable was that the local staging area (there's a bunch of those as well) had cars with plates from several other states....
Just as long as the tunnels remain uninhabited, the only thing we have here are a couple of abandoned RR track right of ways( actually no ebikes allowed, Horses are allowed though that doesnt make sense, we can ride on the motorized permitted forest service roads( some of which should be a second class MTB trail) Horses are pretty dangerous animals that really destroy a trail.

I'm just thinking out loud, where I bike I rarely see other people on the trail let alone enforcement. I know the law is the law etc.
But I wonder how many tickets are handed out for this stuff. When the cops have their morning meeting do they discuss cracking down on ebikes?
How many cops actually know what a class 1, 2, or 3 bike is and do they know how to tell in the field?
I have a class 3 bike and there is NO indicator of it's wattage, class, etc. no throttle no nothing. If I'm stopped I'm not sure the cop would have the expertise to figure it out.

I'm just thinking out loud, where I bike I rarely see other people on the trail let alone enforcement. I know the law is the law etc.
But I wonder how many tickets are handed out for this stuff. When the cops have their morning meeting do they discuss cracking down on ebikes?
How many cops actually know what a class 1, 2, or 3 bike is and do they know how to tell in the field?
I have a class 3 bike and there is NO indicator of it's wattage, class, etc. no throttle no nothing. If I'm stopped I'm not sure the cop would have the expertise to figure it out.
I have had similar experiences where I ride and I sincerely hope it continues to be so.

However, if enough idiot riders aggravate enough people to generate enough complaints, this will quickly change. No one knows what "enough" is right now but when we get there, rest assured, law enforcement will figure out a way to deal with it.

I have had similar experiences where I ride and I sincerely hope it continues to be so.

However, if enough idiot riders aggravate enough people to generate enough complaints, this will quickly change. No one knows what "enough" is right now but when we get there, rest assured, law enforcement will figure out a way to deal with it.
Oh no doubt, it will only take a couple reckless riders to bring out the LEO's.
I'm guessing someone will hit a loose puppy on the trail and all hell is gonna break loose.

You Americans and Canadians have it good with your limits. We're stuck with 25 km/h here in Australia, which I believe is too low given our commute and density similarities to the aforementioned countries, and our relative lack of quality dedicated cycling infrastructure.

I've written to our state transport minister laying out an argument for a review of the existing regs. In response I got the most generic form letter back defining existing Ebike regulations. State government at its finest.

It's also legal to sell electronic bikes and scooters here for 'private land use' - escooters are prohibited outright in our state - but from what I've seen around the derestricted ebikes are pretty niche. Blast past a police officer in the wrong mood on one and you're liable for thousands in fines as well.

Id like to see a lot more pressure put on government to change the regulations. They're adopted from the UK virtually wholesale, which themselves I read were foistered on the emerging Ebike community by the unpowered cycling advocacy body. My commute is near parity with travelling by car: 30 min by Ebike vs 25 min by car. Even a small bump up to 32 km/h would see this cut down by up to 20%. Anyway, rant over.
There it is in some places it's just to restrictive but on the other hand there is a point when it's not bicycle anymore and should be treated as such. Emb network just did a thing about this. The numbers here in the states are pretty good thou I like to see just a tiny bit higher but can't honesty justify much higher before it should be considered something else.

Last edited:
There it is in some places it's just to restrictive but on the other hand there is a point when it's not bicycle anymore and should be treated as such. Emb network just did a thing about this. The numbers here in the states are pretty good thou I like to see just a tiny bit higher but can't honesty justify much higher before should be considered something else.
True enough. If it looks like a motorcycle & runs like a motorcycle, it´s probly a motorcycle

yah but parts of Florida only make get car inspected once for as long as you own your car😁😄:eek:.

yah but parts of Florida only make get car inspected once for as long as you own your car😁😄:eek:.
That's not true. Like many states, there are no inspections required in Florida (not that I'm familiar with?). Further, from where I'm sitting I see that as a good thing.....

And last, what in the world does that have to do with riding a bike?

That's not true. Like many states, there are no inspections required in Florida (not that I'm familiar with?). Further, from where I'm sitting I see that as a good thing.....

And last, what in the world does that have to do with riding a bike?
It's about the mentality that's what it has do with. Inspections are a pain and some of the things that make a vehicle fail them are stupid but being able to drive a unsafe vehicle on the road think about it.

That's were at in a lot of places today but tomorrow is another day and depends on where you live but as i stated I wasn't talking about weather one could get away with it. Indeed as many have said acting responsible will go a long way to keeping it loosely regulated.

Here is a red road bike that I fixed up over the weekend. This sucker does not need a motor to do 40K. It is 8,7 Kg. And here is a green non-restricted commuter ebike for an elected County Official. And a 750W unrestricted cargo bike for an elected City Council Member.
1644962200311.jpeg

1644962344911.jpeg

1644962605722.jpeg

Back