Are all Bosch mid-drive systems Class 1 only and... is that good or bad?

A throttle sure is handy. I went out on a ride with a friend. She was riding her brand new Trek, and she got stuck a few times and had to dismount and walk. Now, it wasn't the bike's fault, it's just that she didn't downshift before she needed her low gears. A throttle could have given her a chance to keep rolling. Not everyone has decades and tens of thousand miles on a derailleur equipped bike.

I do use my throttle to get on the bike, and to flee from danger when needed.
if she did not shift it would be very hard on the drivetrain to use a throttle in that situation. leaning to shift fixes it. worse case on our tandem put it in walk and shift till its in the right gear.

I used to want a throttle, and a huge battery, and tons of power. Those were all key to me when I joined the forum.
I build my own ebikes, so I have a lot of choice in the capabilities of my bikes. With my first build I was so drunk on the power and speed I rode at maximum power with a lot of throttle. Burnt through battery capacity very quickly, but after about a year I now ride at the lowest assist level and pedal. My watts per mile plummeted. I was amazed at how many miles I could travel on a charge.
I love riding motorcycles, but I also love riding bicycles. I now plod around, thinking 15 mph is fast. But I will use the throttle and go 30 mph to run with/between/away from cars, trucks and buses.

Last edited:
A throttle sure is handy. I went out on a ride with a friend. She was riding her brand new Trek, and she got stuck a few times and had to dismount and walk. Now, it wasn't the bike's fault, it's just that she didn't downshift before she needed her low gears. A throttle could have given her a chance to keep rolling. Not everyone has decades and tens of thousand miles on a derailleur equipped bike.

I do use my throttle to get on the bike, and to flee from danger when needed.
An internally geared hub would also have solved her problem. I am done with derailleurs.

Back