I am in a lot of pain while riding......and getting worse.

Nvreloader

Region
USA
Guys & Gals
I have to change my handlebar setup, (the pain in the wrists/shoulder joints is almost to much too bear,)
as close as I can tell my HB looks like a Salsa Salt in shape/design,
and is about 765mm across bar end to bar end, and with no rise up height.

See design here:
https://whatbars.com/ (look up the HB here),
You can leave a bar choice selected and then choose another design/shape and it will superimpose over the first HB shape, so you can see the angles etc.

I also have adjustable 0-90*degree HB stem in 75-80mm height. I have these handlebars raised to the max height by having the adjustable stem turned around for the max height. (Can be pivoted towards me).
I am still hunched/leaned over (seat lowered as much as possible) and have to reach forward approximately 12-13" from a comfortable slightly straight up riding position to reach the end of the bars.
I would like to have about a 10-12" reach back and have approximately a Velo Orange Granola swept back shape of 55-60*degrees and approx 650mm in width and 2-3" rise height.

I have found one, but it is the smaller standard bike 25.4mm size, not the 31.8mm size I need,
for the clamp ring.

Your thoughts and suggestions..........
Tia,
Don

From an upright sitting position, I can just touch the handlebar grips with my fingers, but need to lean forward just a bit to get a good grip on them. After trying quite a few setups, this is where I ended up-

Using the tallest adjustable stem I could find, in the straight up position:

Handlebars have an additional 3" rise, and are swept back into a pretty comfortable (for me) angle.

WARNING: with the above stem and these handlebars installed, my front brake line isn't stretched, but it's effective length is darn sure maxed out....

Handlebar grips that are easy to hang on to and big enough to spread the weight out a bit:

Thanks Al
I have all those parts except the HB, here is another HB riser I got coming,
I think the extra adjustments may help, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082DSKDTX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ARQXX7OR43HI&th=1&psc=1
and here is the HB I am thinking about,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F7MVDW3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A5AYY6PMM52U9&psc=1,
These are swept back at 38*degrees. I just wish that all the HB makers would include the distance from the HB ends to the hold down clamp, as this would make figuring out the back reach of the ends easy.

I have plenty of cable slack on everything, but I am still watching it all very close.
Still researching..................
Tia,
Don

Don, details matter. The stem I showed you is 110mm (10mm longer), and able to go to 90 degrees (straight up).
The handlebars I showed have a 3.5" rise (92mm height =3.6"), where the ones you have coming are 1.5" (38mm height = 1.5 inches). This difference alone can make a big difference in your riding position.

Maybe I missed what bike you have? Is the bike size and configuration more of the problem? My Trek Verve+3 is pretty upright but there is still some pressure on my hands but not bad.

Maybe I missed what bike you have? Is the bike size and configuration more of the problem? My Trek Verve+3 is pretty upright but there is still some pressure on my hands but not bad.
Don's been working on his bike for a while now, so I recognize him and remember what he's riding as his bike is pretty similar to one I bought. He shows a link to a picture of his bike here, post#10

Guys & Gals
I have to change my handlebar setup, (the pain in the wrists/shoulder joints is almost to much too bear,)
as close as I can tell my HB looks like a Salsa Salt in shape/design,
and is about 765mm across bar end to bar end, and with no rise up height.

See design here:
https://whatbars.com/ (look up the HB here),
You can leave a bar choice selected and then choose another design/shape and it will superimpose over the first HB shape, so you can see the angles etc.

I also have adjustable 0-90*degree HB stem in 75-80mm height. I have these handlebars raised to the max height by having the adjustable stem turned around for the max height. (Can be pivoted towards me).
I am still hunched/leaned over (seat lowered as much as possible) and have to reach forward approximately 12-13" from a comfortable slightly straight up riding position to reach the end of the bars.
I would like to have about a 10-12" reach back and have approximately a Velo Orange Granola swept back shape of 55-60*degrees and approx 650mm in width and 2-3" rise height.

I have found one, but it is the smaller standard bike 25.4mm size, not the 31.8mm size I need,
for the clamp ring.

Your thoughts and suggestions..........
Tia,
Don
@Nvreloader, thank you for the link to the very useful whatbars.com interactive chart. If you compare the Jones Loop Bar (aluminum, 710mm) to the Velo Orange Granola, they have similar sweep backs. The Jones is 45 degrees while the Velo Orange is about 55 degrees, as you noted. The Jones does have the standard 31.8mm clamp size you need.

I use the Jones H-Bar (Loop) with 2.5-inch rise in both my ebikes. I like the bars very much. They provide multiple hand positions for relief during long rides, and also have a lot of room for accersories such as lights, bell, iPhone mount, GoPro camera mount, etc. The 2.5-inch rise also helps if you want a more upright position.

You probably already know that you can raise the handlebars further with a stem riser or stem spacers, provided your brake and shifter cables are long enough.

Good luck and I hope you find the handlebars that are comfortable!

Bicyclista

Thank you, I am taking it one step at a time, it is hard to find all the spec's of the different H bars, it seems that no one provides that center measurement, which helps with the setback length etc.

The adjustable stems can also be turned 180*degrees (pivot to the back) and adds lots of more choices too.

If I can ask a question,
Can you take a straight edge and place it across/on the ends of the J-Bar, then measure 90*degrees (from the center distance) to the the stem clamp area?

I need to find out this distance, so I can compare to the HB I am using now.
Thank you for your time and trouble.
Don

For me crank forward AKA flat foot frames like the Townie and KHS Smoothie solved my pain issues. Sitting upright without pressure on my hands and not having to bend over like conventional frames.

Last edited:
Al
Can I ask you a question,
Can you take a straight edge and place it across/on the ends of your H bars,
then measure 90*degrees (from the center distance) to the the stem clamp area?

Don
Handlebars have an additional 3" rise, and are swept back into a pretty comfortable (for me) angle.

Bicyclista

Thank you, I am taking it one step at a time, it is hard to find all the spec's of the different H bars, it seems that no one provides that center measurement, which helps with the setback length etc.

The adjustable stems can also be turned 180*degrees (pivot to the back) and adds lots of more choices too.

If I can ask a question,
Can you take a straight edge and place it across/on the ends of the J-Bar, then measure 90*degrees (from the center distance) to the the stem clamp area?

Don
Don, the distance is 4¾ inches or 12 cm., as best as I can measure. I have Ergon grips installed with a mirror on the left and handlebar cap on the right, so I cannot really see the ends of the 710mm Jones H-bar.

Note that the whatbars.com chart shows the handlebars on a square grid. The bold lines appear to be 10 cm. apart, and the faint lines seem to be 1 cm. apart. If you go by that grid, the distance is about 13 cm., which is close to what I measured.

I would like a photo of the frame. That is the heart of a bike. If that is not right, parts and accessories are window dressing. How lax is the seat tube? What is the kick and length of the head tube and fork? Imagine a Dutch bar on a frame like this.
1655824316048.jpeg

1655824620530.jpeg
1655824692371.jpeg

1655824824470.jpeg
1655824881169.jpeg

Attachments

• 1655825014481.jpeg
    1655825014481.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 145
Al
Can I ask you a question,
Can you take a straight edge and place it across/on the ends of your H bars,
then measure 90*degrees (from the center distance) to the the stem clamp area?

Don
As viewed from above, the distance is pretty close to 6".

@Bicyclista & AL​

Thank you guys for that info.
Bic,
Are you sure that the measurement of those grid squares is cm?
If you look at the center line then go to the left or right the measurement for the HB end shows 600 mm, which matches the Dimension Urban Crusier 70 HB,
I have been looking at also? I am not sure about the metric measurements...........
as I can barely see the squares. Blind in 1 eye and can't see outa the other one.....LoL

Tia,
Don

Last edited:
I had same issue with hands going numb and shoulder pain from having to lean too far forward while riding on one of my ebikes. I purchased some swept back HB's as well as an adjustable stem. The adjustable stem took care of the issues pretty much and I was able to use the original HB that came on the bike. I replaced the grips with Ergon GP-1 grips and everything is fine now. I was able to to adjust the stem angle back and up to get the HB farther back and a bit higher than stock. This is the adjustable stem I used:

D6636BC7-B21F-4C9F-B154-F5186E0084F1.jpeg

Rickman1
Thanks.
I have done the hand grips and adjustable stem 90mm @ 90*degrees trick,
I am now looking for the HB with a back sweep from 55*Degrees to 75*degrees
and around 710mm reach back, and a rise around 3-4",
if they are too long I can always shorten them to fit what I need etc.

I have already done the adjustable seat stem and a good soft seat (Cloud 9).
If a when I can find a good HB, that I don't have to take a loan out on,
I think I may have finally cured the problem, I hope.

I am NOT going to quit riding..............regardless of the pain.
Tia,
Don

Last edited:
Don, it sounds like you have the right attitude, or at least one similar to my own. The plan is to ride. The only question is how far, and how comfortable. The "how far" and "how comfortable" are not easily defined, so it's just something you work on..... -Al

I've done everything I can to sort riding comfort. Some days are just bad. I decided to try physical therapy. Some days are still difficult but I am seeing improvement. Little by little my riding time gets better. But there are some riding positions and frame geometries that will never be comfortable for me.

One small trick that helps me at times is to shift my butt placement in the saddle just slightly back or forward.
It's not going to double your ride time but it does extend it and bring some relief. Same goes for your hands on the grips, slight placement change helps. I also extend my fingers straight and rest them flat on the brake lever when can be done safely.
Obviously lifting off the saddle for bumbs is a big help too... But my legs get lazy by the middle - end of a ride.

Back