I would love some suggestions for the right e-bike for me

You may find that once you have an ebike that it is much more than just an alternative form of transportation. You may find yourself looking forward to getting out and riding without a destination.

If you hope to improve your fitness, then a relatively lightweight Class 1 or Class 3 bike will probably work well for you, (all things being equal, lighter bikes are easier to handle). If you plan to stay on reasonably smooth surfaces, I would suggest avoiding suspension, (you wouldn’t need the increased weight, maintainable and cost).

Don’t scrimp on components, especially brakes, (not all hydraulic brakes are created equally).

Most ebikes can be equipped with a rear rack or panniers, so I would not get too bogged down in what comes stock on the bike.

As others have said, you may want to buy from a dealer that will service the bike, (knowing how to perform roadside repairs like flat tires and carrying a few essential tools is still important).

I see quite a few recommending a step through frame, but if you don’t need one, I wouldn’t get one. A traditional diamond frame is a better structure that requires less additional bracing. Technique, (leaning the bike toward you), makes throwing a leg over much easier). Of course if you feel that a step through is better for you then that is the one to get.

The search and test riding is part of the fun.

Last edited:
You may find that once you have an ebike that it is much more than just an alternative form of transportation. You may find yourself looking forward to getting out and riding without a destination.

If you hope to improve your fitness, then a relatively lightweight Class 1 or Class 3 bike will probably work well for you, (all things being equal, lighter bikes are easier to handle). If you plan to stay on reasonably smooth surfaces, I would suggest avoiding suspension, (you wouldn’t need the increased weight, maintainable and cost).

Don’t scrimp on components, especially brakes, (not all hydraulic brakes are created equally).

Most ebikes can be equipped with a rear rack or panniers, so I would not get too bogged down in what comes stock on the bike.

As others have said, you may want to buy from a dealer that will service the bike, (knowing how to perform roadside repairs like flat tires and carrying a few essential tools is still important).

I see quite a few recommending a step through frame, but if you don’t need one, I wouldn’t get one. A traditional diamond frame is a better structure that requires less additional bracing. Technique, (leaning the bike toward you), makes throwing a leg over much easier). Of course if you feel that a step through is better for you then that is the one to get.

The search and test riding is part of the fun.
Well put. Agree with all of it except the exclusion of Class 2 ebikes. I have a Class 2, and I get a good workout on every ride.

Throttles aren't just to get out of pedaling, and having one available doesn't force you to throttle around without pedaling.

I always pedal with exertion. But my throttle gets used on every ride for instant bursts of speed, 1-2 seconds at a time, usually in traffic. Wouldn't part with it.

Well put. Agree with all of it except the exclusion of Class 2 ebikes. I have a Class 2, and I get a good workout on every ride.

Throttles aren't just to get out of pedaling, and having one available doesn't force you to throttle around without pedaling.

I always pedal with exertion. But my throttle gets used on every ride for instant bursts of speed, 1-2 seconds at a time, usually in traffic. Wouldn't part with it.
Good point. The only reason for leaving out the Class 2 was that many production Class 2 ebikes tend to be on the heavy side, (that may be a misconception on my part).

By all means go with a step-through. I am 86 (and NOT a retired school teacher, not that there’s any wrong with them!). Have been cycling for 75 years without serious incident, and still get a leg over the saddle. When that becomes difficult a step through will be required. My wife has problems negotiating narrow gateways on trails and will turn off PAS to avoid sudden power application. Whatever bike you decide on, keep moving!
Yeah, I'm with her on the narrow gateways at trail heads. I always tense up, feeling that I'm going to run into one of those posts. Seems to work best to focus on area beyond the gate posts, rather than looking right at them. One of the first principles you are taught in the motorcycle safety classes is "look where you want to go, not at what you don't want to run into." (If you stare at it, you are more likely to run into it).

Your wife's problem with surging under PAS puzzles me, as I never get a power surge with my torque sensing setup. I have a throttle, but never use it, as it only functions if PAS is set to zero. I'll need to try it someday, I guess.

Your wife's problem with surging under PAS puzzles me, as I never get a power surge with my torque sensing setup. I have a throttle, but never use it, as it only functions if PAS is set to zero. I'll need to try it someday, I guess.
Functionally, that's a pretty odd way to implement a throttle.

Together, torque-sensing assist and a progressive throttle make for a very versatile power delivery system — provided the throttle just augments whatever you and the PAS happen to be doing at the moment. And without delay.

Mine's like that. It's disabled in PAS 0 and over 20 mph. Otherwise, it instantly adds progressive power up to max motor power in every PAS level. That setup makes the throttle a VERY useful riding tool in many different situations having nothing to do with getting out of pedaling.

Only one quibble with my throttle implementation: Pressing the lever above 20 mph while pedaling with assist somehow turns the throttle into an electric brake. (Yes, I reprogrammed my assist to cut out above 20 mph.) Not a strong braking action, but definitely noticeable.

Would prefer a throttle that simply does nothing above 20 mph, but still very happy with the one I have.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm with her on the narrow gateways at trail heads. I always tense up, feeling that I'm going to run into one of those posts. Seems to work best to focus on area beyond the gate posts, rather than looking right at them. One of the first principles you are taught in the motorcycle safety classes is "look where you want to go, not at what you don't want to run into." (If you stare at it, you are more likely to run into it).

Sounds like ebike uses cheaper cadence sensing. Torque sensing especially on middrives give lot better control in lower power levels. High power levels are still issue in low speed tight situations.
The issue with cadence sensing is power levels are typically speed limits eg 10, 15,20kmhr. No matter setting will deliver max power until speed is reach.

Last edited:
Regarding earlier comments about Enviolo automatic, I have a brose with enviolo automatiq and have gone through troubleshooting on my own for pedal vibrations (I posted in specialized forum for "vado 5.0 IGH pedal vibrations").

Final verdict here -- 1) make sure you have the 22T rear cog (2023 model or manually replace ) and 2) make sure belt tension is on the low end, ~35lbs for me.

Too high of belt tension restricted enviolo gear range for me, which limited max gear causing higher max cadences (suspect hub was binding and automatiq couldn't drive it through full range). 22T seemed to keep belt out of resonance/vibrating and also improved cadence by a similar amount as tension reduction (in total I shifted cadence down by 10-15rpm for each setting if I recall).

The bike has been fantastic after making these changes, so suspect many reported issues are solvable and not as mysterious as they once were. But I think specialized dropped the ball shipping with a 24T rear cog...

Anyway, highly recommend an automatic with the above caveats in mind. It lets you focus on riding, which is always good thing if safety oriented. And while I do enjoy manual gear shifting more than I probably should...I do not miss it at all on this bike. Lots of options though, and I know automatic isn't for everyone.

Regarding earlier comments about Enviolo automatic, I have a brose with enviolo automatiq and have gone through troubleshooting on my own for pedal vibrations (I posted in specialized forum for "vado 5.0 IGH pedal vibrations").

Final verdict here -- 1) make sure you have the 22T rear cog (2023 model or manually replace ) and 2) make sure belt tension is on the low end, ~35lbs for me.

Too high of belt tension restricted enviolo gear range for me, which limited max gear causing higher max cadences (suspect hub was binding and automatiq couldn't drive it through full range). 22T seemed to keep belt out of resonance/vibrating and also improved cadence by a similar amount as tension reduction (in total I shifted cadence down by 10-15rpm for each setting if I recall).

The bike has been fantastic after making these changes, so suspect many reported issues are solvable and not as mysterious as they once were. But I think specialized dropped the ball shipping with a 24T rear cog...

Anyway, highly recommend an automatic with the above caveats in mind. It lets you focus on riding, which is always good thing if safety oriented. And while I do enjoy manual gear shifting more than I probably should...I do not miss it at all on this bike. Lots of options though, and I know automatic isn't for everyone.
Too much belt tension caused our manual shifters to be too stiff as well, perhaps for the same reason. It took me months to figure out, and of course the LBS was clueless. The belts shouldn’t be overly tight, instead having some play.

get a "lectric" trike strength is not the issue,balance is,there are many advantages just get a little tutoring on how to be safe on these things,top speed around 14 mph( a mile in under 5 minutes) enjoy the ride,

Reactions: PSm
I make a lot of short trips around town. Most are less than 5 miles and all but a very few are less than 10 miles. I feel guilty driving our gasoline car such short distances, but we are not quite ready to get an EV. An e-bike seems like an excellent option. But which one to get? I am 80 years old, but in pretty good shape. I play tennis 2-4 times each week for 2+ hours each time.

My neighbor is a serious biker. He has a high-end touring bike that he rides all over the Bay Area (San Francisco). He also has an e-bike. It's a Faraday that he says is 6-7 years old. He loaned it to me for the month of October while he is away. I have been riding it for several weeks. I really like it. It's a pedal-assist bike with 3 power settings (Off, Half, and Full). I started out riding it around the neighborhood to get used to it. I can ride it easily on level roads with no power assist (Off setting). If I run into a slight incline, I use the Half setting. I only use the Full setting for moderately steep inclines and to get a quick start from a full stop at a crossing.

The last week, I have ridden it to play tennis, which is about 5 miles away. The bike doesn't have much in the way of saddlebags. I put my tennis racket in the bag with the handle sticking up. I had a little spill in the driveway one day after returning from tennis when I tried to swing my leg off. It got caught on the racket and I tipped over. After that, I tied the racket down so that it pointed backwards. But that showed me that I want a bike that does not have a high bar from the front to the back so that I can step through rather then over.

All in all, I have ridden the bike about a dozen times for between 1-2 miles and 10-12 miles. Most of the streets around here have bike lanes, especially within several blocks of schools where kids ride their bikes. And Google Maps has great biking paths. For the most part, I have not encountered any problems. There are two exceptions. One the way to tennis, there is a fairly narrow "tunnel" under some train tracks. I have managed to make it through several times, but came close to the walls, especially when going very slowly. Then today, I went to another part of town and had to cross a narrow bridge. I had no problem going, but there were no other vehicles on the bridge. But on the way back, there were several cars crossing in the opposite direction. I slowed down and tried to move as far over as possible, but the bike became a little wobbly, the handlebars touched the wall, and I lost control and tipped over. I got a minor scrape on one knee and one arm. I had the power on Off. I think if I had had it on Half, I would have maintained control better.

I include this information because one of the questions I have is whether I should be considering a three-wheeler, rather than a bicycle. I feel that despite these two falls, I am more than capable of handling a bicycle. But I will lose some strength and coordination every year from now on.

I have visited 6 bike shops and will visit two more this weekend. I looked at about a dozen models, but have not yet test ridden any. The one I like the best in the Gazelle C380. My understanding is that it does not have any manual gears -- just one sprocket in front and one in back. The "gearing" is like that for an EV. It is handled by the Bosch motor, which I have read is the best. And it is a step-through frame.

Whew. For those who have had the patience to read all the way down here, I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

Thanks
You’ve gotten a lot of useful advice, but for many your comment below may have gotten lost in the discussion:

“But I will lose some strength and coordination every year from now on.”

Planning for the future, a three wheeler might make a lot of sense. Even you are currently capable and have good balance, having had two falls may be an indication that a heavy two wheeled e-bike might not be the best choice for the future.

As long as you keep the speed down, I would think that a three wheeler would be fine, and a great option to account for any balance or strength issues going forward.

If I were you, and acknowledging that I’m not, I wouldn’t want to be “one of those people” that refuse to acknowledge their limitations now or in the future. But you are asking the right questions, and seem to be thinking realistically about the situation :)

I make a lot of short trips around town....

But on the way back, there were several cars crossing in the opposite direction. I slowed down and tried to move as far over as possible, but the bike became a little wobbly, the handlebars touched the wall, and I lost control and tipped over...

I include this information because one of the questions I have is whether I should be considering a three-wheeler, rather than a bicycle. I feel that despite these two falls, I am more than capable of handling a bicycle. But I will lose some strength and coordination every year from now on.
Just 2 observations:

1. Your low-speed balance will improve with practice.

Mine was lousy when I returned to cycling at age 74 after 20+ years away. Now it's much better, but I still get off the bike sometimes in close-quarters where a handlebar strike is a possibility. Which brings me to...

2. On a true step-thru with a throttle, very little penalty for walking the bike through dicey situations, as the effort needed to get going again is nil. Once I'm up to balacing speed, I'm off the throttle and back to lowest assist.

I have 2,000 mi on my step-thru. If the frame flexes too much, I have yet to feel it. But I appreciate the convenience every time I get on and off.

Last edited:
If you're looking for an affordable yet powerful e-bike, you might want to consider our Zen Photon. It's designed to offer a balance of speed, durability, and cost-effectiveness. The Photon features a top speed of 28 Mph, a robust 1040 Wh battery for up to 85 miles of range, and a 500W motor with 120Nm torque, making it ideal for both urban commuting and leisure rides.
We currently have an exclusive offer: in the USA, the Photon is available for $2999, down from the original price of $3799. In Canada, it's priced at $CAD 3999, reduced from $CAD 4899. This offer includes free shipping in both countries.
The Zen Photon combines speed and efficiency at a price point that's hard to beat, especially considering its features. Feel free to check it out for an e-bike that delivers both performance and value.
Ads like this have no place in our discussion threads. And no other bike manufacturer jumps in with ads the way Zen has been doing lately.

Zen enjoys a lot of good will on EBR and rightly so. Don't squander that with these blatant commercials. @Ravi Kempaiah , are you aware that this is going on?

Ads like this have no place in our discussion threads. And no other bike manufacturer jumps in with ads the way Zen has been doing lately.

Zen enjoys a lot of good will on EBR and rightly so. Don't squander that with these blatant commercials. @Ravi Kempaiah , are you aware that this is going on?
well said. the OP was looking for input from riders, not an ad. every shill like this turns off many times more potential customers than it attracts.

I agree. The thing about the whole industry is virtually all reviews are biased, many are just undisclosed ads. While it shouldn’t be here, at least we know this is the manufacturer speaking and not a reviewer with monetary ties.

Just 2 observations:

1. Your low-speed balance will improve with practice.

Mine was lousy when I returned to cycling at age 74 after 20+ years away. Now it's much better, but I still get off the bike sometimes in close-quarters where a handlebar strike is a possibility. Which brings me to...

2. On a true step-thru with a throttle, very little penalty for walking the bike through dicey situations, as the effort needed to get going again is nil.

I have 2,000 mi on my step-thru. If the frame flexes too much, I have yet to feel it. But I appreciate the convenience every time I get on and off.
Many on this forum will say you need a throttle. Well, I have one, and never use it (it's set up to work only on Pedal-Assist 0, whereas I almost always ride in PA 1 or 2). FYI, I am 86 years old, and ride a step through (Ariel Rider C class). I like the bike a lot, except for the seat tube being too high, which prevents me from using a dropper post, so I pedal with something less than ideal leg extension. I also have a little over 2000 miles on mine. The only time I crashed was when I T-boned a passing car at an intersection--my fault, not the driver's. I did have no-speed falls 2 or 3 times, but nothing harmed but my dignity, which at my age is a joke anyhow.

I like the looks of the Gazelle, and it is at the top of my list when it comes time to upgrade. Even more tempting as the local Gazelle dealer is within walking distance from my place.

Many on this forum will say you need a throttle. Well, I have one, and never use it (it's set up to work only on Pedal-Assist 0, whereas I almost always ride in PA 1 or 2).
A throttle's just a riding tool. I find mine very handy in many situations having nothing to do with getting out of pedaling — usually just a second at a time. Otherwise, I ride at lowest possible assist like you.

But my throttle's implemented very differently than yours. Below 20 mph, mine's fully enabled at all non-zero PAS levels. It's also progressive. If it were only enabled at PAS 0, I wouldn't have much use for mine, either.

Based on what I read on EBR, throttles are implemented in a variety of ways. Makes it hard to extrapolate our throttle experiences to other bikes and riders.

Last edited:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I did not realize this had happened. I spoke with our support team to avoid such intrusion in other threads and contribute useful information when specifically asked for.
It is never our intention to butt into some conversation and this will not be repeated again. We have built a strong reputation over 11 years by maintaining integrity and walking the talk. Thanks again for your gentle reminder.

I agree. The thing about the whole industry is virtually all reviews are biased, many are just undisclosed ads. While it shouldn’t be here, at least we know this is the manufacturer speaking and not a reviewer with monetary ties.
nobody has ever offered me anything free and my opinions are unbiased and practical,around here is a ripe market unlike those areas where the bike collectors get free top of the line bikes for their opinions

Many on this forum will say you need a throttle. Well, I have one, and never use it (it's set up to work only on Pedal-Assist 0, whereas I almost always ride in PA 1 or 2). FYI, I am 86 years old, and ride a step through (Ariel Rider C class). I like the bike a lot, except for the seat tube being too high, which prevents me from using a dropper post, so I pedal with something less than ideal leg extension. I also have a little over 2000 miles on mine. The only time I crashed was when I T-boned a passing car at an intersection--my fault, not the driver's. I did have no-speed falls 2 or 3 times, but nothing harmed but my dignity, which at my age is a joke anyhow.

I like the looks of the Gazelle, and it is at the top of my list when it comes time to upgrade. Even more tempting as the local Gazelle dealer is within walking distance from my place.
ah,low speed falls,last one i had splintered a tarsal in my right foot( it happened on the "cursed" step thru) and that sucker was so sore and sensitive it would light up on the pain scale about an 8-9 and of course( couldn't sleep either) the grandson(toddler) had a way of finding the afflicted area-so these days much more careful,the swelling and inflammation was so bad the skin peeled off,not planning on letting that happen again. oth the "sprawl" falls on the fattire 20" bike never hurt me. the last fattire mtb I had I crashed it three times on the same run,got rid of it to a gorgeous red haired young lady who loved it,so it goes.

Back