I would love some suggestions for the right e-bike for me

A throttle's just a riding tool. I find mine very handy in many situations having nothing to do with getting out of pedaling — usually just a second at a time. Otherwise, I ride at lowest possible assist like you.

But my throttle's implemented very differently than yours. Below 20 mph, mine's fully enabled at all non-zero PAS levels. It's also progressive. If it were only enabled at PAS 0, I wouldn't have much use for mine, either.

Based on what I read on EBR, throttles are implemented in a variety of ways. Makes it hard to extrapolate our throttle experiences to other bikes and riders.
I don’t have a throttle on my current e-bike, BUT when I did have one on my prior e-bike it turned out to be very useful in dealing with traffic and stoplights/stop signs to easily get up to speed smoothly and quickly.

I’d go as far to say that it improves safety and maneuverability, much more than you’d imagine. But really just talking about those that have to deal with commuting around cars and frequent stops.

I’ll rec on the other side of the spectrum, get a budget folding step-through like the Ride1Up Portola.

By all means go with a step-through. I am 86 (and NOT a retired school teacher, not that there’s any wrong with them!). Have been cycling for 75 years without serious incident, and still get a leg over the saddle. When that becomes difficult a step through will be required. My wife has problems negotiating narrow gateways on trails and will turn off PAS to avoid sudden power application. Whatever bike you decide on, keep moving!
have to use a step thru these days my gimpy left leg( back injury) just will not get very high

well said. the OP was looking for input from riders, not an ad. every shill like this turns off many times more potential customers than it attracts.
the dumbass jeep and saturn commercials used to turn me off later on the boastful chevy pu commercials and the the stupid ebike commercials with a guy walking around in biking gear while rambling and the ebike(surrogate emotorcycle) commercials,zip and zoom without peddling( madison ave the great,why has thou fallen?)

I bought a Lectric XPTrike for my 86 y-o father-in-law.
JfJigua.jpg

Prior to the pandemic, he was riding a step-thru ebike with fat tires, 4-5 mi. to his favorite fishing spot, local grocery store in Queen NY.
Since then, he's been less active; pandemic has really scared him, since the trailer full of dead bodies were parked just few blocks away.
FIL enjoyed his XPTrike in the summer/fall season, riding the trike was easy for him, sometimes even have MIL on the trike for a spin.
So far, the XPTrike is just something to keep them active, go outside to get some fresh air, but I can see them using it for grocery runs.

If you're commuting, need compact ebike that can be taken onto public transportation, have less than 15-20 miles per trip,
or limited space to store the ebike in the house, folding compact ebikes can be very useful, too.
Smaller wheels on folding ebikes provide better torque for the hills, I take mine in public transport in NYC sometimes.
Smaller size, smaller target for cars to hit, less attracted to theft.
As long as you're not in a hurry to get to places, folding ebikes are great for their smaller size.
6iTBT0j.jpg

DkvGu8W.jpg

Used , quality ebikes can be found cheap, if you know what you're looking for.
If you have the storage room & not much worry about theft, full size ebikes are the way to go for distance shorter than 20-25 miles.
Full sized ebikes are more comfortable, more efficient to ride, able to cruise for longer distance and most of the time have higher top speed.
Higher off the ground make them easier to control over bumpy pavement.

I just picked up a Ride1Up 700 series ST ebike from FB Marketplace for $650.
I haven't ride it much since it's been below 40F and we have had snow for the last few day, first snow for over 700 days.
nvYJfHh.jpg

I look forward to trying is out and compare it to the Ride1Up 500-series that I bought last year, also on FB Marketplace for $600.
m4EUB9m.jpg

I bought a Lectric XPTrike for my 86 y-o father-in-law.
JfJigua.jpg

Prior to the pandemic, he was riding a step-thru ebike with fat tires, 4-5 mi. to his favorite fishing spot, local grocery store in Queen NY.
Since then, he's been less active; pandemic has really scared him, since the trailer full of dead bodies were parked just few blocks away.
FIL enjoyed his XPTrike in the summer/fall season, riding the trike was easy for him, sometimes even have MIL on the trike for a spin.
So far, the XPTrike is just something to keep them active, go outside to get some fresh air, but I can see them using it for grocery runs.

If you're commuting, need compact ebike that can be taken onto public transportation, have less than 15-20 miles per trip,
or limited space to store the ebike in the house, folding compact ebikes can be very useful, too.
Smaller wheels on folding ebikes provide better torque for the hills, I take mine in public transport in NYC sometimes.
Smaller size, smaller target for cars to hit, less attracted to theft.
As long as you're not in a hurry to get to places, folding ebikes are great for their smaller size.
6iTBT0j.jpg

DkvGu8W.jpg

Used , quality ebikes can be found cheap, if you know what you're looking for.
If you have the storage room & not much worry about theft, full size ebikes are the way to go for distance shorter than 20-25 miles.
Full sized ebikes are more comfortable, more efficient to ride, able to cruise for longer distance and most of the time have higher top speed.
Higher off the ground make them easier to control over bumpy pavement.

I just picked up a Ride1Up 700 series ST ebike from FB Marketplace for $650.
I haven't ride it much since it's been below 40F and we have had snow for the last few day, first snow for over 700 days.
nvYJfHh.jpg

I look forward to trying is out and compare it to the Ride1Up 500-series that I bought last year, also on FB Marketplace for $600.
m4EUB9m.jpg
good buy,fwiw you can now buy a fwd trike conversion that will slide in the forks,was going to make a leaning fwd conversion,my lack of welding skills caused me to abandon it,one of my friends basically inherited all the parts( will he do it? doubtful)

Depends on what fork you plan on using for the front motor to be installed.
26", 20" front motor wheels are pretty common and readily available, 24", 16" & 14" front motor wheels are less common but available.
I have a 20" & 24" front motor wheel, both are for 100-110mm fork spacing with disc brake rotor mount.
You would need to figure out where to mount the battery & controller, along with mounting the display & throttle locations.
Nowadays, DYI conversions are more hassle than need be, when complete and good quality ebikes or etrikes are available under $2k.

Back