I would love some suggestions for the right e-bike for me

Wes Turner

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley, CA
I make a lot of short trips around town. Most are less than 5 miles and all but a very few are less than 10 miles. I feel guilty driving our gasoline car such short distances, but we are not quite ready to get an EV. An e-bike seems like an excellent option. But which one to get? I am 80 years old, but in pretty good shape. I play tennis 2-4 times each week for 2+ hours each time.

My neighbor is a serious biker. He has a high-end touring bike that he rides all over the Bay Area (San Francisco). He also has an e-bike. It's a Faraday that he says is 6-7 years old. He loaned it to me for the month of October while he is away. I have been riding it for several weeks. I really like it. It's a pedal-assist bike with 3 power settings (Off, Half, and Full). I started out riding it around the neighborhood to get used to it. I can ride it easily on level roads with no power assist (Off setting). If I run into a slight incline, I use the Half setting. I only use the Full setting for moderately steep inclines and to get a quick start from a full stop at a crossing.

The last week, I have ridden it to play tennis, which is about 5 miles away. The bike doesn't have much in the way of saddlebags. I put my tennis racket in the bag with the handle sticking up. I had a little spill in the driveway one day after returning from tennis when I tried to swing my leg off. It got caught on the racket and I tipped over. After that, I tied the racket down so that it pointed backwards. But that showed me that I want a bike that does not have a high bar from the front to the back so that I can step through rather then over.

All in all, I have ridden the bike about a dozen times for between 1-2 miles and 10-12 miles. Most of the streets around here have bike lanes, especially within several blocks of schools where kids ride their bikes. And Google Maps has great biking paths. For the most part, I have not encountered any problems. There are two exceptions. One the way to tennis, there is a fairly narrow "tunnel" under some train tracks. I have managed to make it through several times, but came close to the walls, especially when going very slowly. Then today, I went to another part of town and had to cross a narrow bridge. I had no problem going, but there were no other vehicles on the bridge. But on the way back, there were several cars crossing in the opposite direction. I slowed down and tried to move as far over as possible, but the bike became a little wobbly, the handlebars touched the wall, and I lost control and tipped over. I got a minor scrape on one knee and one arm. I had the power on Off. I think if I had had it on Half, I would have maintained control better.

I include this information because one of the questions I have is whether I should be considering a three-wheeler, rather than a bicycle. I feel that despite these two falls, I am more than capable of handling a bicycle. But I will lose some strength and coordination every year from now on.

I have visited 6 bike shops and will visit two more this weekend. I looked at about a dozen models, but have not yet test ridden any. The one I like the best in the Gazelle C380. My understanding is that it does not have any manual gears -- just one sprocket in front and one in back. The "gearing" is like that for an EV. It is handled by the Bosch motor, which I have read is the best. And it is a step-through frame.

Whew. For those who have had the patience to read all the way down here, I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
I include this information because one of the questions I have is whether I should be considering a three-wheeler, rather than a bicycle. I feel that despite these two falls, I am more than capable of handling a bicycle. But I will lose some strength and coordination every year from now on.
3 wheelers can tip over if you corner too fast. I would avoid as much as possible.
Losing strength is a choice, not a requirement. Bbcnews reported UK medical service study, people in their 80's can gain muscle if they exercise properly. I'm 73, have a whole pilates routine I do to maintain my strength especially heart health. I lost a lot of wind capability in 192 days of covid, but I am slowly inching back. I ride my bike as much as possible without the power, something you cannot do on a bosch bike. Bosch bottom 3 levels you drag the motor with your feet unpowered. I use the power mostly to even out the wind. Over 12 mph in my face, 30 miles is more exercise than I need. My commute does not shorten just because the wind is up & blowing towards me. I have 2 homes and bicycle back & forth between once a week until winter sets in. One positive note, aerobic health is associated with less incidence of dementia & alzheimer's. (bbcnews.com again). One friend from church kept himself in shape by walking & exercise, died in his sleep 84. Would not go see the doctor about his skipped heartbeats. Another friend swam 3 times a week at the Y, died at 99 after moving to a care home. Best thing to do about inevitable falls is wear a bike helmet.
If you want to shop off the bike, check out a yuba combi (shimano steps drive) or Blix Packa (geared hub motor) or giant momentum stretch frame bike. I do all my shopping off the bike unless ice covers the roads & sidewalks. So I get exercise 2 or 3 days a week even in the dead of winter. I wear clothes in bad weather. Stretch frame cargo bikes are more stable than MTB's or cruisers, there is more of your weight on the front wheel. Just don't brush the curbs, railings, or obstructions. Walk if you are pressed into a tight space. I avoided riding to my summer camp 8 weeks this year bacause the state restricted the lanes to 108" for paving and trucks pass me in construction zones without enough room. Avoid 20" wheel models, they are vile through potholes and you can't always see them, like in the rain. I would buy some gears, sometimes rain takes out the throttle & I have to get home under my own power & use a hair dryer on it.
Other brands to check out, aventon & surface604. Aventon has dealers and also a stretch frame cargo model. Torque sense is nice for riding with power, makes you feel more powerful than you are.
Definitely, buy a drop frame bike. I have had trouble getting my leg over the bar since my early 60's. Make sure the bike frame fits you. You should be able to get your leg almost straight pedaling, while also being able to reach the ground with your toes stretched at stopsigns and traffic lights.
One thing geared hub motors will not do is climb 1000' in an hour. They will overheat. There are mountains around SF, don't climb long grades with a geared hub motor. Mid drive only. If you buy one of the bosch shimano or other bikes with a patented battery, you are out >$1000 if it gets stolen. Look for generic dolphin battery like the blix for lowest replacement cost. I cable my bike to power poles, electrical conduits, gas meters, cart racks, 3 or 4 times a week. I carry a 6' long 1/2" diameter StainlessSteel cable with a 2 lb Abus lock in a pannier (bag), and nobody has tried to steal my bike. I have had attempts at the battery while shopping, but my battery is bolted on and has 24 screws, so up to now only the wrong screws have been unscrewed. I've had a taillight & headlight stolen, <$50 each to replace. I now keep the headlight in a peanut butter jar in the bag now until dark, I lost one headlight (niterider) to rain on the button.
Other mid drive bikes that don't drag the motor with your feet unpowered shimano steps, yamaha drive (giant & momentum), brose.
Happy shopping & later riding.

Last edited:
I ride a Riese and Muller Nevo3 GT Vario GX.

This has a step through frame and is very stable. It uses a Bosch Performance CX motor along with the Enviolo (CVH) rear hub, which makes it very easy and comfortable to ride.
IMG_2636.jpeg

It is ready fitted with a rack to which you can fit a wide range of bags. We use Ortlieb bags as they are excellent quality and have a huge range of styles.

DG…

I have visited 6 bike shops and will visit two more this weekend. I looked at about a dozen models, but have not yet test ridden any. The one I like the best in the Gazelle C380. My understanding is that it does not have any manual gears -- just one sprocket in front and one in back. The "gearing" is like that for an EV. It is handled by the Bosch motor, which I have read is the best. And it is a step-through frame.
Yes, it does have manual gears, only the gearing is moved to the Internally Geared Hub (IGH) driven by a carbon belt. You switch the gears with a shifter in the handlebar grip.
The Gazelle C380 is liked by many, so it is a good choice if you like that e-bike. Please demo ride it though to make sure.

@AvalancheRun: Would you recommend the C380 to Wes?

1698222014078.png

No slightest idea about tennis but I happened to carry a guitar on my e-bike :D

Last edited:
3 wheelers can tip over if you corner too fast. I would avoid as much as possible.
Losing strength is a choice, not a requirement. Bbcnews reported UK medical service study, people in their 80's can gain muscle if they exercise properly. I'm 73, have a whole pilates routine I do to maintain my strength especially heart health. I lost a lot of wind capability in 192 days of covid, but I am slowly inching back. I ride my bike as much as possible without the power, something you cannot do on a bosch bike. Bosch bottom 3 levels you drag the motor with your feet unpowered. I use the power mostly to even out the wind. Over 12 mph in my face, 30 miles is more exercise than I need. My commute does not shorten just because the wind is up & blowing towards me. I have 2 homes and bicycle back & forth between once a week until winter sets in. One positive note, aerobic health is associated with less incidence of dementia & alzheimer's. (bbcnews.com again). One friend from church kept himself in shape by walking & exercise, died in his sleep 84. Would not go see the doctor about his skipped heartbeats. Another friend swam 3 times a week at the Y, died at 99 after moving to a care home. Best thing to do about inevitable falls is wear a bike helmet.
If you want to shop off the bike, check out a yuba combi (shimano steps drive) or Blix Packa (geared hub motor) or giant momentum stretch frame bike. I do all my shopping off the bike unless ice covers the roads & sidewalks. So I get exercise 2 or 3 days a week even in the dead of winter. I wear clothes in bad weather. Stretch frame cargo bikes are more stable than MTB's or cruisers, there is more of your weight on the front wheel. Just don't brush the curbs, railings, or obstructions. Walk if you are pressed into a tight space. I avoided riding to my summer camp 8 weeks this year bacause the state restricted the lanes to 108" for paving and trucks pass me in construction zones without enough room. Avoid 20" wheel models, they are vile through potholes and you can't always see them, like in the rain. I would buy some gears, sometimes rain takes out the throttle & I have to get home under my own power & use a hair dryer on it.
Other brands to check out, aventon & surface604. Aventon has dealers and also a stretch frame cargo model. Torque sense is nice for riding with power, makes you feel more powerful than you are.
Definitely, buy a drop frame bike. I have had trouble getting my leg over the bar since my early 60's. Make sure the bike frame fits you. You should be able to get your leg almost straight pedaling, while also being able to reach the ground with your toes stretched at stopsigns and traffic lights.
One thing geared hub motors will not do is climb 1000' in an hour. They will overheat. There are mountains around SF, don't climb long grades with a geared hub motor. Mid drive only. If you buy one of the bosch shimano or other bikes with a patented battery, you are out >$1000 if it gets stolen. Look for generic dolphin battery like the blix for lowest replacement cost. I cable my bike to power poles, electrical conduits, gas meters, cart racks, 3 or 4 times a week. I carry a 6' long 1/2" diameter StainlessSteel cable with a 2 lb Abus lock in a pannier (bag), and nobody has tried to steal my bike. I have had attempts at the battery while shopping, but my battery is bolted on and has 24 screws, so up to now only the wrong screws have been unscrewed. I've had a taillight & headlight stolen, <$50 each to replace. I now keep the headlight in a peanut butter jar in the bag now until dark, I lost one headlight (niterider) to rain on the button.
Other mid drive bikes that don't drag the motor with your feet unpowered shimano steps, yamaha drive (giant & momentum), brose.
Happy shopping & later riding.

You'll get many good recommendations but keep in mind, the best bike is the one that fits your particular physique and riding style. One size does not fit all.

The advice I give to any potential buyer is to TEST RIDE as many bikes as you can! Travel if you must and visit many LBS locations. Talk to the salesmen and other customers you meet. The more you like your bike, the more you'll enjoy the sport.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum!

@AvalancheRun: Would you recommend the C380 to Wes?
I should say that it's not the bike for me, and I'm replacing it. My wrist does not like the manual twist shifter for how much I ride.

In Wes's case it makes sense. I would strongly recommend at least looking at the Riese and Muller Nevo4 Automatic. It's about $2k more, but I think really worth it.
The primary benefit is the automatic shifting, which is truly a marvel. Set your cadence and it will shift for you effortlessly. It's essentially an add-on to the Enviolo transmission that adjusts the gearing for you. Had this fit on the C380, I would have kept the bike.

Other benefits to the Nevo:

Wider tires for more comfort
Seatpost suspension included (common add-on to any bike, drastically increases seat comfort)
Better suspension fork
More stable frame
Better brakes
MUCH better headlight with high beams
85 nm torque CX motor (+10 over the C380, but also noisier)

Whatever you choose, I think you're going to really love ebiking! Our cars hardly move from the driveway nowadays.

Only the R&M Delite and Homage. I've spent time looking at the Nevo in store.
If I was buying now, I would certainly consider the Enviolo Automatic. Would really make cycling effortless.

DG…
Guys, the Enviolo AutomatiQ looks great on paper but I would not recommend it without trying that out first. Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH and Como 5.0 IGH have the AutomatiQ. These e-bikes were met with mixed opinions. Just saying.

Last edited:
Guys, the Enviolo AutomatiQ looks great on the paper but I would not recommend it without trying that out. Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH and Como 5.0 IGH have the AutomatiQ. These e-bikes were met with mixed opinions. Just saying.
Isn't that the Brose motor/software and Automatiq not getting along? I've seen that come up, but haven't seen similar reports from Bosch bikes.

Isn't that the Brose motor/software and Automatiq not getting along? I've seen that come up, but haven't seen similar reports from Bosch bikes.
I could read several stories. Some were from sensitive Forum members but at least one report was from a person who I consider a sensible man.
First of all, owners were complaining on not being able to get at high speed without crazy cadence. Incompatibility between the Specialized electronic and the Enviolo app. The drive belt sliding on the rear cog. I would say the LBS handling those issues might have not be trained well enough but if Specialized with its big LBS network reportedly has some issues with the AutomatiQ (which I cannot confirm myself as I have never ridden an AutomatiQ e-bike myself!) then think of potential issues with an R&M that you might have no qualified LBS around to solve the issues.

That's why all I am saying is "Demo-ride the AutomatiQ e-bike first".

What are the AutomatiQ Bosch e-bikes you could read reports about?

I could read several stories. Some were from sensitive Forum members but at least one report was from a person who I consider a sensible man.
First of all, owners were complaining on not being able to get at high speed without crazy cadence. Incompatibility between the Specialized electronic and the Enviolo app. The drive belt sliding on the rear cog. I would say the LBS handling those issues might have not be trained well enough but if Specialized with its big LBS network reportedly has some issues with the AutomatiQ (which I cannot confirm myself as I have never ridden an AutomatiQ e-bike myself!) then think of potential issues with an R&M that you might have no qualified LBS around to solve the issues.

That's why all I am saying is "Demo-ride the AutomatiQ e-bike first".

What are the AutomatiQ Bosch e-bikes you could read reports about?
Definitely demo ride it. I did and really loved it. It's just a better way to interact with the hub in my opinion.
I can't speak for everyone, but we've found the manual shifting to a major problem area for our two C380s.

I make a lot of short trips around town. Most are less than 5 miles and all but a very few are less than 10 miles. I feel guilty driving our gasoline car such short distances, but we are not quite ready to get an EV. An e-bike seems like an excellent option. But which one to get? I am 80 years old, but in pretty good shape. I play tennis 2-4 times each week for 2+ hours each time.

My neighbor is a serious biker. He has a high-end touring bike that he rides all over the Bay Area (San Francisco). He also has an e-bike. It's a Faraday that he says is 6-7 years old. He loaned it to me for the month of October while he is away. I have been riding it for several weeks. I really like it. It's a pedal-assist bike with 3 power settings (Off, Half, and Full). I started out riding it around the neighborhood to get used to it. I can ride it easily on level roads with no power assist (Off setting). If I run into a slight incline, I use the Half setting. I only use the Full setting for moderately steep inclines and to get a quick start from a full stop at a crossing.

The last week, I have ridden it to play tennis, which is about 5 miles away. The bike doesn't have much in the way of saddlebags. I put my tennis racket in the bag with the handle sticking up. I had a little spill in the driveway one day after returning from tennis when I tried to swing my leg off. It got caught on the racket and I tipped over. After that, I tied the racket down so that it pointed backwards. But that showed me that I want a bike that does not have a high bar from the front to the back so that I can step through rather then over.

All in all, I have ridden the bike about a dozen times for between 1-2 miles and 10-12 miles. Most of the streets around here have bike lanes, especially within several blocks of schools where kids ride their bikes. And Google Maps has great biking paths. For the most part, I have not encountered any problems. There are two exceptions. One the way to tennis, there is a fairly narrow "tunnel" under some train tracks. I have managed to make it through several times, but came close to the walls, especially when going very slowly. Then today, I went to another part of town and had to cross a narrow bridge. I had no problem going, but there were no other vehicles on the bridge. But on the way back, there were several cars crossing in the opposite direction. I slowed down and tried to move as far over as possible, but the bike became a little wobbly, the handlebars touched the wall, and I lost control and tipped over. I got a minor scrape on one knee and one arm. I had the power on Off. I think if I had had it on Half, I would have maintained control better.

Whew. For those who have had the patience to read all the way down here, I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

Thanks
I ride a step-thru, and will arm-wrestle any 86 yo retired high school English teacher for my right to continue to do so. I sympathize with your riding incident. We (Bellingham) have a narrow ped bridge that crosses the freeway, and it always makes me feel nervous and wobbly. If someone on foot is coming toward me, I stop and hang onto the fencing until they have passed. Another point is that riding really slowly is the hardest. Anything less than about 6 mph feels dicey to me. It's one reason I rarely use PAS 1 (out of 5) nor a gear lower than 2nd (out of 7).

A lot of guys are riding step-throughs now. Even little kids have stopped asking, "Hey boomer, how come ya riding a girl's bike." Besides, I'm too old to be a boomer.

EDIT: Misspoke above. I do ride in PAS 1 most of the time; it's 1st gear (out of 7) that I rarely use. I usually launch in 2nd gear, then quickly shift up to 3rd and 4th. 4th is my gear for riding on the level, unless I'm in a hurry, or have a tail wind, or a slight downhill stretch.

Last edited:
By all means go with a step-through. I am 86 (and NOT a retired school teacher, not that there’s any wrong with them!). Have been cycling for 75 years without serious incident, and still get a leg over the saddle. When that becomes difficult a step through will be required. My wife has problems negotiating narrow gateways on trails and will turn off PAS to avoid sudden power application. Whatever bike you decide on, keep moving!

Back