The journey to a comfortable ride

DiggyGun

Region
United Kingdom
City
Buckinghamshire
Story so far, my R&M Nevo3 GT Vario GX came fitted with a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST, along with a Selle Royal Lookin 3D Moderate saddle. This worked fine for a while, but the side saddle clamp kept getting loose and the nose of the saddle kept rising up make it uncomfortable. Nothing I could do seemed to stop this.

My solution was to change the seat post to sort the issue out.

Went for another Cane Creek product as the diameter is 31.6mm. Initially looked at the Thudbuster LT as it had a top clamp for the saddle, but couldn’t find one. Chose the eeSilk+ as it appeared to have a better top seat clamp.

Fitted this and used for quite some time, but when I fitted it, I kept the original Medium elastomer that came with it.

This weight range for this was below my actual weight, as I really needed a Firm one. But I couldn’t find anywhere in the UK selling replacement elastomers. So used this one for many months and the main improvement was that the saddle never moved. You still felt some bumps, but it was a compromise.

I chose an Ergon SC Prime Core Men M/L to try as this did have some good reviews. Was comfortable initially, so was pleased with that. But swapped the saddles back over to further test. And, found that the original Lookin 3D was, in fact, more comfortable, so then rode with that.

I also tried a Brooks Cambium C19 Carved saddle as they are supposed to be one of the best makes of saddle. But just couldn’t get my man bits comfortable. Back to the Lookin3D.

I’d forgotten about the weight range on the eeSilk+ elastomer and one day, when cleaning the bike, noticed some crazing on the elastomer. So got Mrs DG to inspect the Seatpost whilst I was sitting on it. She noticed that is was bottoming out, so essentially there was no re-bound.

Finally tracked down a Firm elastomer in Germany, so got that and fitted it. Immediately, it was noticeable that the rides were more comfortable, so a good call.

However, I recall at the time when I got the eeSilk+, I also fancied the Kinekt, but it was a lot more expensive at the time. So this was always in the back of my mind.

Recently, I have upped the frequency and distance of my rides, as I’m trying to lose a bit more weight and increase my overall fitness. As a result of this, my backside was beginning to get uncomfortable on the rides now, so started to do some further investigation into saddles / seatposts.

I then decided to bite the bullet and get the Kinekt XR seatpost as I found that this also comes at 31.6mm, so would be a straight swap.

This arrived and I fitted this. Changed the springs over as I was really near the top end of the fitted springs, but in the middle of the range of the additional springs.

One of the things I like about the Kinekt XR is the settings are clearly marked for the preload tension and saddle position. This makes changing positions very easy.

Mrs DG helped me to get the preload initially set, so now to test time with the Lookin 3D saddle.

Initially, I didn’t like the feeling of this, so something was not set quite right. Increased the preload tension and the angle of the saddle. Things seemed a bit better, but it wasn’t significantly better than the eeSilk+.

So one afternoon, I spent some time doing some further testing. Fixed my iPhone to the rear of the bike so that I could video the seat post in action.

I had selected a quick route around the block as the test route, for repeatability. I then rode this a number of times at all the settings from 1 to 6, recoding each one adding the setting reference to each video. I was quite surprised by how much movement there was was, so you can see that it is really doing its job.

After doing this, I found, on tarmac at least, the most comfortable setting, which for me, was No. 3. Albeit, lower than the recommended preload setting for my weight, it felt good.

Now to try this setting on mixed terrain to test it out further.

The next we went for a 30 mile ride, which had a mixed terrain of tarmac and cycle tracks.

Good news, there were no issues at all. There was no feeling of bumps, apart from the bigger ones. Overall, the ride was much smoother and my backside felt fine all day;
  • No having to change position to get comfortable.
  • No pain or pressure on the sit bones.
  • Felt as good at the end of the ride as I did at the start of the ride
The Kinekt really does appear to iron out the bumps making the ride that much smoother and more comfortable. And, no more arse pain. It’s interesting, you know that you are going over bumps, as you feel it through the handlebars and the front fork suspension. But the Kinekt just seems to smooth them out.

I ordered another saddle to try, the Selle Royal Respiro Relaxed, as they have 30 day trial period. This is a bit bigger and looks to be a bit more padded. The write up states that it is for more of an upright riding position, common on an eBike.

The Selle Royal Respiro saddle arrived and was fitted to the bike. Gave it a quick, short ride to test it. However, didn’t like it. It was comfy to start with, but even after 13 miles, it wasn’t that comfortable as you began to notice it. Possibly, because it had its own elastomers, so it may have created some conflict with the Kinekt.

Put the Ergon saddle back on the Kinekt as hadn’t tried that combination yet.

Done some 30 mile plus rides with the Ergon / Kinekt combination and this seems to be comfortable.

Did investigate a different Ergon saddle, the ST Evo Core Men as this is stated as being suitable for touring. Emailed Ergon for some more information, who advised that the SC is for more an upright stance and the ST is for more a sporty stance.

Selle Royal have a good way of describing the riding position;
  • Relaxed (around 90 degrees)
  • Moderate (around 60 degrees)
  • Athletic (around 45 degrees)
Looking at my position, it is between 90 degrees and 60 degrees, so I’ll keep with the SC Core Prime saddle.

There are couple of things that I’ve changed with the Kinekt / Ergon combination;
  • Changed the pre load to setting No. 2
  • Instead of having the saddle horizontal, it’s now slightly nose up.
For me, these are just personal tweaks to try and make it as comfortable as possible.

Some more rides with the Kinekt seat post and Ergon saddle have confirmed that this seems to be the optimum combination. My backside is now far more comfortable and you do not notice the seat post or saddle, it just appears to blend in.

Don’t get me wrong, after about 25 miles plus, you know you’ve been sitting on a saddle. However, it is much more comfortable, no more painful sit bones, less discomfort.

I am now one comfortable and happy cyclist.
DG…

Update:

Having used the Kinekt XR seat post and the Ergon SC Core Prime Men’s saddle has turned out to be a winning combination.

I’ve done a number of 25 miles plus rides, including a 37 mile one and, it is now really comfortable. No pain, discomfort or painful sit bones.

Initially, you knew that you had been in the saddle for a while, but this seems to have now passed.

I am now feeling as comfortable at the end of the ride as I am at the start of the ride.

All in all, worth the money and an excellent outcome.

DG…

Last edited:
You really don’t feel any bumps, unless they are really big.
I'm so used to my both e-bikes... Just recently, I was riding my Vado 6.0 on an adventure trip. As I demanded the navigation took me through a village by a funny name (translated, it was Petri(fied)-Goats), I was directed to ride raw cobblestones for a couple of kilometres :D I gritted my teeth and was just riding. There is a good spring suspension fork in my Vado accompanied by Kinekt 2.1 seatpost and a sporty Specialized saddle. I loosened the grip on the Innerbarends so the e-bike front was working almost freely, and I enjoyed the smooth ride totally damped in the rear by the suspension post :)

I have two identical bikes. One with a Kinekt post - my original - and a more recent build where I decided to spend less and put on a Thudbuster LT (I have Thuds just like it on several other bikes, so I'm familiar with it.

Interestingly, I have also been using the Ergon ST Core Prime on both bikes, a similar saddle to what @DiggyGun is using.

The new bike with the Thud is the one I am riding full time, so I decided to swap in the much more expensive Kinekt to see if there is an improvement. I was frankly shocked at the result. Thuds are a premium suspension post, but the Kinekt is dramatically better, and I can say that having now been able to directly compare the two. If you are trying to decide, and can afford the Kinekt, pick that one over the Thudbuster LT.

Most recently I have also replaced two of my ST Core Prime saddles. These are very expensive little buggers, being the top dog on the Ergon saddle product line. But I bought them in Sml/Medium under the assumption that the narrower width better suited my high-cadence riding style. It did, but the narrower width also put too much pressure on my perineum and I would up causing myself an injury as a result of some long rides. So off to EBay they go.

I decided to spring the bucks on an SQLab saddle, which is BIG into medically-thought-through saddle design. In particular I looked at the M-D line, commonly referred to as their 'medical' saddles, even if M-D stands unglamorously for 'Maximum Dip'. These saddles are claimed to offer an 82% reduction in perineal area pressure.

I first tried the 610 Infinergy M-D Active 2.1, which is the absolute top of the line. My size using their fitment method is a rather wide 16mm (I used a regular piece of cardboard and followed their instructions from their site), and after some time getting-used-to the different support it provides, I found it to be comfortable and pain free with the softest white active insert. Noticeably more comfortable and pain-free after a 30-mile ride than a LARGE ST Core Prime that fits me right (I had the larger size on bikes I didn't pedal as hard).

For a second bike (my Vitus road bike that is mounted on a resistance trainer), to replace my 1990 Selle Titanium Flite - that there is no way I can sit on in my 60's - I bought a 610 M-D Active, to see if I could save sixty bucks. I think its livable for a short ride on a trainer while I watch TV for an hour, but as soon as I'm ready to buy a 3rd one for a bike I ride in the world, I'll spend the bigger bucks in the latest, greatest 610 Infinergy version. Oddly, the Infinergy is a firmer saddle, but is more comfortable than the softer earlier-generation model.

I'll probably wait until I sell off the saddles I have replaced. I hate to sell that Flite but I'll never be able to ride it again, and I bet the rare titanium rail model in perfect shape will go for a good price.

Ergon SC Core Prime Men’s saddle
In my own quest for butt comfort I tried the Ergon SM E-Mountain Pro Men's saddle. I found it to be geometrically almost identical to the Tero X's stock Specialized Bridge Sport, but the Bridge Sport had nicer padding and a nicer surface. I'd say anyone considering an Ergon saddle should consider the Specialized line. Ergon didn't seem to have any special sauce.

Without turning this whole thread into a saddle comparison I'll say that I ended up on a SQlab saddle which has a shape I like but very little padding. The biggest difference in comfort with that is a good chamois attached to something that will keep it in the right place. If you've never tried padded shorts at all I would recommend going straight to the endgame: Bib shorts. You can get a cheap pair for $40. Ignoring fashion, if those don't make your butt more comfortable, a chamois might not be for you. If they do, you can try backing down to non-bib shorts, padded cycling underwear, mtb-style padded shorts, etc. Having tried bibs you'll know if they're really doing the job.

Specialized Bridge Sport
It may be hard to believe but I returned to exactly the same saddle, which came with my Vado SL. Even the expensive Specialized Phenom Pro is not that good. My contacts in the gravel cycling community think the Bridge Sport is the best value for money :)

That’s three of us using the Kinekt with great results.

@m@Robertson, interesting that you came to the same conclusion as me for the Kinekt.

The ST is for a more sporty position, whereas, the SC is for a more upright position.

DG…

That’s three of us using the Kinekt with great results.
Ya, but I use the Redshift ShockStop suspension post on my Vado SL with equally good outcome :) My choice of a specific suspension seat-post was dictated by the native Redshift post diameter of 27.2 mm (required by Vado SL) while I chose a Kinekt for my 30.9 mm Vado seat-tube.

I treat both systems as equal in the performance. Only the Kinekt requires selection of proper springs for the rider's weight, and the spring replacement in that seat-post makes me cry :) Once the proper spring set has been selected for the Kinekt, it is a pleasure to ride it but then you cannot share the e-bike with another person of very different weight. With the Redshift, you just remove the post from the seat-tube, dial the pre-load knob and it's done. Just saying.

The ST is for a more sporty position, whereas, the SC is for a more upright position.

Mine is an XL,2 which was a more heavily constructed version for heavier riders, with heavier construction overall and heavier springs; the latter of which you can't get from Kinekt anymore - at least not in their online catalog. Its minimum rider weight was supposed to be 250 lbs and it went up to I think 330. At the time I bought it I weighed 265. I'm now under the minimum rider weight and it still works just fine. Nowadays they have beefed up the construction of the thing so they can manufacture one model that works for every rider weight, and use springs to do all the ... heavy lifting ... for the full range of rider weights.

Waitasec... Now they are selling one for riders up to 180 lbs, and another for up to 320. They're called the LR and XR now. They say on the product page the XR is more heavily built.

Last edited:
I have had an eeSilk+ post on my Trek Allant+ 8S for about three months now. I absolutely love it. I can't feel it bouncing at all but find I can stay in the saddle over bumps that demanded I stand prior. I weigh 180lbs, so being smack dab in the center of the weight (150-210 lbs ) recommendation for the stock elastomer helps.

Waitasec... Now they are selling one for riders up to 180 lbs, and another for up to 320. They're called the LR and XR now. They say on the product page the XR is more heavily built.
Yes. I have the XR, which is also recommended for e-bikes.

DG…

This string has strayed a bit from the original post. So, just to add some addition Allant info ...

Having recently purchased another bike via the Trek employee purchase program for overstocked bikes (my brother is a Trek employee), I added an Allant 8s to my stable. Having >8,800 miles on my 7s, I determined several 8s modifications were necessary.

FYI, I continue to consider the 7s as my #1 ride vs the 8s. The 8s goes to my home in AZ as my winter bike.

I just got my 8s back from my local Trek store with these mods:

Added a handlebar riser extension. This is a no-brainer for Allants according to Trek.

Changed the ridiculous Bosch Cobi controller to the Bosch System 2 Kiox controller. This should have been an easy change-out, but my handle bar riser caused several problems which the Trek Techs admirably resolved. Cool, them! Cool new controller.

Added a Bosch Range Extender mounting unit to accommodate the 500w Range Extender battery to swap from my 7s. The install turned out to be a 2-day job for 2 Trek Techs to figure out including dropping the motor, etc. Again, kudos to the Techs. FYI, the Range Extender just fits into the Stagger frame.

Previously (and described in a separate EBR forum) I added a MIK mounting base strapped to the additionally ridiculous pannier mounting bars standard on the 8s. Now I can clip-in my myriad rear carriers with MIK adapters.

Purchased and added the ultimate rear mirror I have on all my and my wife's bikes: Sprintech's Compact mirror.

Swapped the suspension seat post (originally from my Trek Verve+3) and Fluid saddle from my 7s. This will be an easy swap back and forth until I spend another $100+ to replicate.

Given the 8s comes with Bontrager Hard-case tires I will likely run them until I experience flats, then change to my favorite Panaracer GravelKing tubeless tires. AZ desert trails can be prickly.

I should be now ready to roll on my new Trek Allant 8s. Don't I wish Trek had made better product selections when equipping this bike for retail sales.

Update;

Been using the Kinekt XR / Ergon SC Core Prime combination for a few weeks now and, as previously advised everything has settled / bedded in. The comfort is there from start to finish, absolutely no issues at all.

This has probably been the best single upgrade that I have made to the bike.

DG….

Back