I am in a lot of pain while riding......and getting worse.

I just dug out the stock bars for the Aventure, and I'm shocked, They're 24". I could have sworn they were narrower..

I balanced them about where they would have sat "stock" (albeit an inch higher). Gives you an idea how much it changed the grip.

stockBarsVs.jpg

Also surprised how scratched up they are for two weeks of riding, removal from the bike, and then sitting upright with some PVC pipe for 8 to 9 months.

But that's cheap ass single stage flat paint with no primer for you,

Last edited:
Jason
Thank you for the info, gives me an Idea, on those long handle bars, I can always cut a couple of inches off, after I get the new 130mm height and degree adjustable stem,
I'll do temp mount and see just where the ends land, I can also mount the adjustable stem either front or backwards which will provide several inches of more options, if needed etc.
Thanks,
Don

Jason
Thank you for the info, gives me an Idea, on those long handle bars, I can always cut a couple of inches off, after I get the new 130mm height and degree adjustable stem,
I'll do temp mount and see just where the ends land, I can also mount the adjustable stem either front or backwards which will provide several inches of more options, if needed etc.
Thanks,
Don
Be very carefull mounting the stem backwards as this can cause stability issues.
If done, test it out very cautiously.

On a side bar... Did you ever get the Ultra swapped out to an UART version?

Thanks GR
Can you give your thoughts on what would cause any stability issues with the adjustable stem mounted backwards -vs- forward?

I have the present adjustable stem mounted backwards, and so far I am not aware or found any issues, have close to 100 miles on the bike (90% off road) since changing from the OEM setup etc.

I have a new 130mm height and tilt angle adjustable stem coming that should be here any day, that I will use with the present HB etc.

Your thoughts or suggestions,
Thanks,
Don

Thanks GR
Can you give your thoughts on what would cause any stability issues with the adjustable stem mounted backwards -vs- forward?

I have the present adjustable stem mounted backwards, and so far I am not aware or found any issues, have close to 100 miles on the bike (90% off road) since changing from the OEM setup etc.

I have a new 130mm height and tilt angle adjustable stem coming that should be here any day, that I will use with the present HB etc.

Your thoughts or suggestions,
Thanks,
Don
No personal experience doing so.. But I have come across this discussion more than once leaving me with the impression that you're better off not doing so... And if you do, be careful.
Something about changing the geometry of how the bike was designed to be ridden, reducing your leverage to steer properly and not having enough weight over the front wheel for traction which all seems to make sense to me.
On the other hand... Perhaps it's just a wives tale told by manufacturers 🙃
In any case.. Just be careful.

Thanks GR
I have already changed the CG, I moved my equipment/parts bag and H2o containers to the front on the front head tube along with the weight of the basket somewhere around 20#'s, but how much was the CG changed upon moving the Hbars back and sitting more upright, is a SWAG on my part...........LoL

Maybe I should find the CG point on this bike in riding condition.....................??

I am still waiting for another part to arrive, before doing the change over.
Thanks,
Don

Last edited:
More updated info,
I just got the new adjustable 130mm/90* angle stem attached which raised the overall HB height about 2" higher than the old setup. I had to lower the adjustment of this stem at least 3/4" on the fork stem, ran out of extra slack in one of the cables while checking for turning radius of the HB's.

Took it for a 10+ mile ride on and off road and I really like the ride, and way the Hbars feel now, I can set up straighter and 99% of my pain is gone with this set up.
I still have a lot of adjustment that I can use, if I need to change anything, so I'll put a few more miles on, to make a final judgement.

I can say with, with the addition of the adjustable suspension seat, and the Cloud 9 seat and finally getting the HB in a good position for my riding style, believe that, from now on I am really going to enjoy riding (without pain)
John Wayne.....my ATC ......LOL
Tia,
Don

Like others in this thread, I've been working on improving riding comfort for several years and have thrown quite a bit of $$ at the problem. Everyone is a bit different when it comes to riding comfort but this is what works for me:

Jones H bars with a 2.5" rise.
Replaced the OEM front suspension with Rockshox Gold 30 forks.
Ergo style grips with palm rest.
4" stem riser.
Kinekt suspension seat post with split saddle.

In addition, I managed to get a surprising amount of additional hand & wrist relief by adding:
Redshift Shockstop suspension stem.
High quality gel padded riding gloves.

All totaled, I've probably spent more on add ons & replacements than I did for the ebike! Well worth it in the end though.

I hope this is the last equipment change I have to do, except for some minor adjustments etc. I have some scouting/trail riding coming up and that will tell me more information on this setup.
Thanks,
Don

Guys & Gals
I have to change my handlebar setup, (the pain in the wrists/shoulder joints is almost to much too bear,)
as close as I can tell my HB looks like a Salsa Salt in shape/design,
and is about 765mm across bar end to bar end, and with no rise up height.

See design here:
https://whatbars.com/ (look up the HB here),
You can leave a bar choice selected and then choose another design/shape and it will superimpose over the first HB shape, so you can see the angles etc.

I also have adjustable 0-90*degree HB stem in 75-80mm height. I have these handlebars raised to the max height by having the adjustable stem turned around for the max height. (Can be pivoted towards me).
I am still hunched/leaned over (seat lowered as much as possible) and have to reach forward approximately 12-13" from a comfortable slightly straight up riding position to reach the end of the bars.
I would like to have about a 10-12" reach back and have approximately a Velo Orange Granola swept back shape of 55-60*degrees and approx 650mm in width and 2-3" rise height.

I have found one, but it is the smaller standard bike 25.4mm size, not the 31.8mm size I need,
for the clamp ring.

Your thoughts and suggestions..........
Tia,
Don
I've been through this . For me it wasn't handlebar ht . It was reach . Which wasn't much. Also I adjusted things so I had no inverted or supinated wrists , in the riding position I was normally in . If you are using grips that have a spot where the pad rests . Make sure your wrists are flat. Like you were hanging on a bar . Other then that you may have herniated disks in your neck . When it the position you are in pinch off or put pressure on the nerves running across your shoulders and down your neck.

It's not always more upright . More often it's forward reach . Everyone tries to adjust height up and down . The width of your bars unless you are really a narrow shouldered short armed person . Should create the pain you are referring to. Wrist angles do . At least it was for me and for my wife as well . Once I straighten out our wrists my issues disappeared . If your wrists are bent from leaning forward and down that cuts off blood flow .

Last edited:
My strong recommendation is to find a bike fitter near you and spend the money on a bike fit.

You can expect that to cost from $100 to more than $300 depending on how fancy you want to get, plus parts if they need to change things up. This may seem like a lot of money but you in all probability have dropped far more than that on a bike, and if that bike is not comfortable for you you won't be riding it very much.

How to find bike fitters:
  • Google
  • Ask Your Local Bike Shop
  • Call the nearest REI to you. Some REI stores have bike fitters in-house.
  • Ask at a sports medicine or physical therapy office

Thanks Guys
With the 2+ 30+ mile rides, after adding the 90*/130mm adjustable height stem,
It feels perfect, I may have to slightly adjust for angles, need some more ride time.

This is the best it has ever felt, no pain from bending forward or with the lowered H bars. I am sitting almost straight up, and I can say with the change in H bars, adjustable seat stem/change of seat type, makes a LOT of differences..

Now, I have a minor stand over height issue to fix, changing the seat height gave me some more room.

If I could get someone to provide the MEASURED tire height of a 24" x 4.0 wide fat tire, (ground level to top of the tire), I may be able to get the little additional clearance I need or would like to have, for that safety margin.

Thanks all,
Don

As for weight distribution. High performance aggressive racers will want even loading between the tires. But the Dutch ride bikes every day as transportation and want comfort. They know about an upright position with high backswept handle bars and a ramrod straight back. Humor Disclaimer: The final photo is for entertainment value only. The first bike is electric.

Attachments

• DSCF7861.JPG
    DSCF7861.JPG
    982.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Dutch Cycle.jpg
    Dutch Cycle.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Dutch Tweed.JPG
    Dutch Tweed.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 167
  • excercisebike wheels.jpg
    excercisebike wheels.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 164
Humor Disclaimer: The final photo is for entertainment value only.
These birds get it:
1661787207199.png

Though it's comedy watching Mark Ronson get all red-faced and winded trying to keep up on a BMX.
1661787278326.png

I can't understand it, but I can't really stand 'em.
Girls love cars, cars cause harm to the planet.
Don't you wanna take a joyride on my tandem?
Hubby on a huffy, don't I look so handsome?
Bikes suffice, there so nice, they're priceless.
Working on my calves, the triceps, to biceps,
Bypass the gas, stop the traffic lights.
I get a round round, without a driver's license.

These birds get it:
View attachment 133639
Though it's comedy watching Mark Ronson get all red-faced and winded trying to keep up on a BMX.
View attachment 133640
I can't understand it, but I can't really stand 'em.
Girls love cars, cars cause harm to the planet.
Don't you wanna take a joyride on my tandem?
Hubby on a huffy, don't I look so handsome?
Bikes suffice, there so nice, they're priceless.
Working on my calves, the triceps, to biceps,
Bypass the gas, stop the traffic lights.
I get a round round, without a driver's license.
Good for you . It's healthier : What do you do if you want to play golf or go get a Bushell of Sweet Corn off a u pick farm ? Or get steaks somewhere . E Bikes are great -But automobiles in a modern world I don't see people giving that up. Besides Weather and Storms are getting worse . Their Climate Green control isn't working . But I don't think they believe what they preach anyway .

I just dug out the stock bars for the Aventure, and I'm shocked, They're 24". I could have sworn they were narrower..

I balanced them about where they would have sat "stock" (albeit an inch higher). Gives you an idea how much it changed the grip.

stockBarsVs.jpg

Also surprised how scratched up they are for two weeks of riding, removal from the bike, and then sitting upright with some PVC pipe for 8 to 9 months.

But that's cheap ass single stage flat paint with no primer for you,
If your bars don't work out I have 2 New Jones Bars I never used . One is the Riser Bar Steering tube riser would work as well .

Good for you . It's healthier : What do you do if you want to play golf or go get a Bushell of Sweet Corn off a u pick farm ? Or get steaks somewhere . E Bikes are great -But automobiles in a modern world I don't see people giving that up. Besides Weather and Storms are getting worse . Their Climate Green control isn't working . But I don't think they believe what they preach anyway .
You didn't get the joke, I was quoting Falconer's rap in the song. Humor, deadpan mode.

Back