Modifying My Vado 6.0 For A Sporty Riding Position

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
It all started in October 2019, when I ordered a MY 2017 Vado 5.0 ST (45 km/h) in size M. It was a real bargain as I could buy the New Old Stock e-bike with a huge discount, and that was a 45 km/h S-Pedelec, a rarity in Europe. As I was unaccustomed to riding modern bikes (and did not know very much about the technology or bike geometry at that time), I felt my riding position was too aggressive and did what many of you do on the purchase of your e-bike: I raised the stem with 75 mm, making my riding position really relaxed.

As I use the full power Vado for long and/or steep weekend or vacation rides, I was suffering while riding an upright e-bike. My butt was permanently sore, I suffered assorted aches (like the lower back, shoulder, neck pain) and hand numbness, and I felt dizzy on a long ride. The situation improved a little when I removed the stem raiser, which gave me a slightly more forward riding position. It was still far from anything "comfortable".

After 3 years of the ownership, my Vado 5.0 size was rebuilt into a Vado 6.0 size S, and further modified by the shop to almost retain the original geometry (the parameter called Reach was shortened with further 8 mm). My ass started suffering again.

I should have replaced the Vado stem a long time ago. The problem was the specialized stem with the integrated display mount. Additionally, the base of the TCD-w(speed) display got damaged, so the display got glued with the silicone adhesive to the mount. I was stuck with the original 80 mm, +14 deg stem! (necessary to mention Vado 6.0 can only work with an operable display).

Two days ago, I decided it could not stand the situation any longer. I gave Specialized Warsaw a phone call, and they recommended I brought my Vado to the store/shop to discuss available stems. I rode up the LBS yesterday.

The nice salesman turned out to be knowledgeable and helpful. He told me I could not use the Future Stem Comp as it was a specialized product only compatible with the Future Shock system (true!), then he took me to the Retül bike-fitting lab, where he opened a large drawer full of bike stems. According to my needs, he handed two Specialized Comp Multi stems of different length to me to give them a try. As the shop mechanic was working with an urgent assignment, I was only asking the guy to lend me some tools such as a Torx 10 wrench, a torque wrench, flat nose pliers, or strong tape. We did all the work ourselves together with my friend Jerzy who also rode up there to assist me.

My choice was a 120 mm long, A-HEAD compatible (28.6x31.8mm), 12 deg Comp Multi stem. It is an amazing product from Specialized as it allows installing the stem at any of these angles: -16, -14, -12, -10, -8, +8, +10, +12, +14, or +16 degrees (10 possible positions!) How is it done? The steerer clamp of the stem is of an oversized diameter. You place the stem at the desired orientation (pointing upwards, or "slammed", that is, pointing downwards) then you insert one of three provided "angle shims" in proper orientation. Any shim is 28.6 mm (1-1/8") internal diameter and is allowing to change the stem angle in 2° increments. It was no wonder that the stems were stored in the bike-fitter's drawer!

1685504559799.png

The Specialized Comp Multi Stem.

My choice was installing the stem slammed at -12° (using the 0° shim). We fastened the thing delicately (so I could remove the thing without damaging the bolt paint). Then I mounted the Vado with Jerzy supporting me. When I got off the e-bike, we had that talk:

-- 'What did I say about my impression, Jerzy? Did I say it was any good?'
-- 'You didn't say that'.
-- 'What did I say then?'
-- 'You said Stefan it was amazingly good!'
-- 'Oh. Let's try it again so I am completely sure!'
:D

After the second attempt, I rushed to the salesman merrily shouting: 'Take my money!' :D Then we completed the setup. Handling of the display was the most difficult thing. As the base of the unit missed the cover, and the mounting part was damaged, I protected the battery with a rubber spacer, and made up the remaining space with a 2 zloty coin (Jerzy laughed I made the part really expensive!) :D Then I wrapped the display with strong tape, installed a Garmin handlebar out-front mount, and eventually fastened the display to the mount with more tape. As a Wahoo ELEMNT Roam v2 is my primary e-bike display now, the TCD-w is only kept for the Vado functioning (like a dongle).

1685507831452.png

The final setup.

Riding impression: The modification allows me riding in the true "sporty" forward position now. My butt has been relieved, and I felt no pain or hand numbness after the return ride. Now, my Vado is riding against the headwind significantly faster! If I need even more speed, I support myself on the Ergon GP2 bar-ends, which puts me even more forward! When I want some relaxed riding position, I just grab the regular handlebar GP2 grips.

I presented my findings to a group of bike aware friends. An experienced friend's comment was: 'Such mods are the typical outcome of too small a frame size'. He gave me some thinking. The Reach gain in this specific case has been +32 mm. I compared the Reach difference between Vado 6.0 frame size L and S. Guess what the difference was? Exactly thirty-two friggin' millimetres! :D

@GuruUno: You could be interested!

Last edited:
It all started in October 2019, when I ordered a MY 2017 Vado 5.0 ST (45 km/h) in size M. It was a real bargain as I could buy the New Old Stock e-bike with a huge discount, and that was a 45 km/h S-Pedelec, a rarity in Europe. As I was unaccustomed to riding modern bikes (and did not know very much about the technology or bike geometry at that time), I felt my riding position was too aggressive and did what many of you do on the purchase of your e-bike: I raised the stem with 75 mm, making my riding position really relaxed.

As I use the full power Vado for long and/or steep weekend or vacation rides, I was suffering while riding an upright e-bike. My butt was permanently sore, I suffered assorted aches (like the lower back, shoulder, neck pain) and hand numbness, and I felt dizzy on a long ride. The situation improved a little when I removed the stem raiser, which gave me a slightly more forward riding position. It was still far from anything "comfortable".

After 3 years of the ownership, my Vado 5.0 size was rebuilt into a Vado 6.0 size S, and further modified by the shop to almost retain the original geometry (the parameter called Reach was shortened with further 8 mm). My ass started suffering again.

I should have replaced the Vado stem a long time ago. The problem was the specialized stem with the integrated display mount. Additionally, the base of the TCD-w(speed) display got damaged, so the display got glued with the silicone adhesive to the mount. I was stuck with the original 80 mm, +14 deg stem! (necessary to mention Vado 6.0 can only work with an operable display).

Two days ago, I decided it could not stand the situation any longer. I gave Specialized Warsaw a phone call, and they recommended I brought my Vado to the store/shop to discuss available stems. I rode up the LBS yesterday.

The nice salesman turned out to be knowledgeable and helpful. He told me I could not use the Future Stem Comp as it was a specialized product only compatible with the Future Shock system (true!), then he took me to the Retül bike-fitting lab, where he opened a large drawer full of bike stems. According to my needs, he handed two Specialized Comp Multi stems of different length to me to give them a try. As the shop mechanic was working with an urgent assignment, I was only asking the guy to lend me some tools such as a Torx 10 wrench, a torque wrench, flat nose pliers, or strong tape. We did all the work ourselves together with my friend Jerzy who also rode up there to assist me.

My choice was a 120 mm long, A-HEAD compatible (28.6x31.8mm), 12 deg Comp Multi stem. It is an amazing product from Specialized as it allows installing the stem at any of these angles: -16, -14, -12, -10, -8, +8, +10, +12, +14, or +16 degrees (10 possible positions!) How is it done? The steerer clamp of the stem is of an oversized diameter. You place the stem at the desired orientation (pointing upwards, or "slammed", that is, pointing downwards) then you insert one of three provided "angle shims" in proper orientation. Any shim is 28.6 mm (1-1/8") internal diameter and is allowing to change the stem angle in 2° increments. It was no wonder that the stems were stored in the bike-fitter's drawer!

View attachment 154838
The Specialized Comp Multi Stem.

My choice was installing the stem slammed at -12° (using the 0° shim). We fastened the thing delicately (so I could remove the thing without damaging the bolt paint). Then I mounted the Vado with Jerzy supporting me. When I got off the e-bike, we had that talk:

-- 'What did I say about my impression, Jerzy? Did I say it was any good?'
-- 'You didn't say that'.
-- 'What did I say then?'
-- 'You said Stefan it was amazingly good!'
-- 'Oh. Let's try it again so I am completely sure!'
:D

After the second attempt, I rushed to the salesman merrily shouting: 'Take my money!' :D Then we completed the setup. Handling of the display was the most difficult thing. As the base of the unit missed the cover, and the mounting part was damaged, I protected the battery with a rubber spacer, and made up the remaining space with a 2 zloty coin (Jerzy laughed I made the part really expensive!) :D Then I wrapped the display with strong tape, installed a Garmin handlebar out-front mount, and eventually fastened the display to the mount with more tape. As a Wahoo ELEMNT Roam v2 is my primary e-bike display now, the TCD-w is only kept for the Vado functioning (like a dongle).

View attachment 154839
The final setup.

Riding impression: The modification allows me riding in the true "sporty" forward position now. My butt has been relieved, and I felt no pain or hand numbness after the return ride. Now, my Vado is riding against the headwind significantly faster! If I need even more speed, I support myself on the Ergon GP2 bar-ends, which puts me even more forward! When I want some relaxed riding position, I just grab the regular handlebar GP2 grips.

I presented my findings to a group of bike aware friends. An experienced friend's comment was: 'Such mods are the typical outcome of too small a frame size'. He gave me some thinking. The Reach gain in this specific case has been +32 mm. I compared the Reach difference between Vado 6.0 frame size L and S. Guess what the difference was? Exactly thirty-two friggin' millimetres! :D

@GuruUno: You could be interested!
I will digest....

Hey Stefan, guess what? I ended buying a Vado 3.0 over the weekend. The first improvement I wanted make is to replace both the stem and the handlebar. Something flatter and with no to minimal rise is what I'm looking for.

What do you call that cap sitting between the bike and and the spacers? I see that you've replaced yours with a round one. Will any round cap do the job?

Also, how do you like those inner barends? They make reaching for the control a tad more difficult, it seems.

to replace both the stem
Be careful. I am not sure whether the stem is not yet another integrated thing (display mount!)

What do you call that cap sitting between the bike and and the spacers? I see that you've replaced yours with a round one. Will any round cap do the job?
A "stem cap?". All stem caps are round. Only this specific one is specialized as it performs a special function, allowing the stem be installed at one of many angles.

Also, how do you like those inner barends? They make reaching for the control a tad more difficult, it seems.
One of the best inventions! You do not actually hold them. You rest the thumb and index finger joint on them with the rear of the palm resting on the grip and fingers laid on the brake lever. The steering is very easy after getting used to them after a short ride. Actually, I always ride in Innerbarends in rough terrain as these are so similar to gravel bike handlebar hoods!

The controls are easily accessible (perhaps the shifter is not obvious here but I even do not notice that).

Last edited:
Be careful. I am not sure whether the stem is not yet another integrated thing (display mount!)

A "stem cap?". All stem caps are round. Only this specific one is specialized as it performs a special function, allowing the stem be installed at one of many angles.

One of the best inventions! You do not actually hold them. You rest the thumb and index finger joint on them with the rear of the palm resting on the grip and fingers laid on the brake lever. The steering is very easy after getting used to them after a short ride. Actually, I always ride in Innerbarends in rough terrain as these are so similar to gravel bike handlebar hoods!

The controls are easily accessible (perhaps the shifter is not obvious here but I even do not notice that).

Can you please elaborate on what you meant to say, please? The display mount looks similar to a bolt-on Garmin mount and is separate from the stem. Is yours built into the stem?

That thing is actually called a "Steerer Tube Conical Spacer" and Specialized calls it a "Headset Cone Top Cover" - a fancy name for a spacer. LOL Specialized told me that they don't sell this part, nor the Tero's stem separately but I can use any after-market stems and spacers.

Since I'm switching to a narrower flat bar I may not have the real estate for a pair of innerbarends. Would probably switch to a pair of Ergon GS1 grips but could not find the dimensions anywhere online. I think they're shorter than the Specialized grips but may have to see one in person.

Can you please elaborate on what you meant to say, please? The display mount looks similar to a bolt-on Garmin mount and is separate from the stem. Is yours built into the stem?
In the original Vado stem (for some generation of those e-bikes, at least), the 'Garmin' mount was not only bolted to the Specialized stem special display socket but there also was a hole in the stem, through which the thick display wires/cables were pulled. With a regular stem, there is no way to attach the Garmin mount directly to the stem. Therefore, I had to install a separate Garmin mount on the bars, with very little of the handlebar real estate left to do it.
but I can use any after-market stems and spacers.
Yes you can do it as long as you can relocate the display elsewhere.

Since I'm switching to a narrower flat bar I may not have the real estate for a pair of innerbarends.
The whole point of installing Innerbarends is to keep the handlebars at their original length because your arms are then kept far closer together. If you must replace the handlebars, the 680 mm is the minimum width that leaves you just enough of real estate for anything else. I agree you need short grips in this case. Why not to keep your original bars for awhile and try them with Innerbarends?

In the original Vado stem (for some generation of those e-bikes, at least), the 'Garmin' mount was not only bolted to the Specialized stem special display socket but there also was a hole in the stem, through which the thick display wires/cables were pulled. With a regular stem, there is no way to attach the Garmin mount directly to the stem. Therefore, I had to install a separate Garmin mount on the bars, with very little of the handlebar real estate left to do it.

Yes you can do it as long as you can relocate the display elsewhere.

The whole point of installing Innerbarends is to keep the handlebars at their original length because your arms are then kept far closer together. If you must replace the handlebars, the 680 mm is the minimum width that leaves you just enough of real estate for anything else. I agree you need short grips in this case. Why not to keep your original bars for awhile and try them with Innerbarends?
I just couldn't stand the rise and the sweepback on the original. ☹️

Back