Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Thanks tykoehn1.

No, I haven't "ruled out" a bike rack in the long run, it's just that my piggy bank will be empty when I get the bike!

I appreciate the suggestion upthread for the ultra-tow, and when I get a bike for my wife, I'll definitely need it. That won't be until her cancer goes into remission, which thankfully looks to be on track. I think it'll be a great way to build back her strength after chemo to be ready for her next battle (may it be many years before that happens). For now the ultra-tow is out of stock on Amazon which makes we wonder if other sites that show it in stock just haven't updated.
Thank god your wife’s cancer is going into remission buddy. Excuse my language but “ Phuk that cancer” I hope your wife whups it good and proper. Give her a hug and tell her “that’s from some Scottish guy who thinks you’re an awesome lady”, be real kind to each other too buddy. You both deserve it. It’s a great trip to be seeing the end off.
On the travelling, the front wheel is easy to fit on and off which may also be another idea for you. Really shortens the length of the bike.

No problem at all brother. I know the % meter isn’t properly accurate but I really roasted mine for 30 miles and it said I still had 20% left! I am 75 kg, even say 85kg all loaded up for a trip and I would be totally confident taking it 60 - 70+ miles using PAS and being sensible at say 20-25 mph. I don’t mean sensible as in nursing it, just not roasting it full thumb for the sake of roasting it. It’s all icy as hell here right now so can’t get out. It’s also freezing cold.
I have the opposite weather in the Mojave desert, mild winters and roasting summers. Runs 60F (15C) most winter days and only occasionally freezes at night. Wind is fierce enough for power generation, and I'm half way up a mountain so the climbs are brutal. Since moving here I resolve every year to get fit enough to handle them, but 10 years later and my longest attempt was 12 miles. That's why I'm swtching to ebike and why I'll actually prefer the 11-speed SRAM over Leili's IGH. Not sure if I can get your range, as I'll be 120kg with gear and hoping to carry my purchases uphill to get home, but it sounds promising. My plan is to do my share of the work - otherwise I'd just use a car - and to order a couple of spare batteries from Leili in the hope they arrive by the time I've built up to rides that need 'em. Also planning to get the innotrace controller, as it extends range a smidge but importantly for me makes the motor run cooler, as my summer temps will often be 120F (49C). I personally prefer hot to cold, but I've found that electronics don't agree with that perspective. -GEF

Thank god your wife’s cancer is going into remission buddy. Excuse my language but “ Phuk that cancer” I hope your wife whups it good and proper. Give her a hug and tell her “that’s from some Scottish guy who thinks you’re an awesome lady”, be real kind to each other too buddy. You both deserve it. It’s a great trip to be seeing the end off.
On the travelling, the front wheel is easy to fit on and off which may also be another idea for you. Really shortens the length of the bike.
Thanks for the well wish, I duly gave my wife the hug and credited it to "some Scottish guy". She amazes me every day with her strength of spirit. We've been blessed to be fairly insulated from pandemic side effects, combination of living rural and and working for a utility company.

That's really good info on the front wheel. I don't need to reduce length to fit in my SUV, but it'll reduce the distance out from my body at which I'll have to hold it.

Thank you.

Yes. I have a conventional bike with a frame so large that I'm having trouble giving it away. Still it's 10" shorter and only 34#. The trick is to put it in rear wheel first and hold it high enough that the pedals don't scrape, which means I'm not just holding it up, but doing so at arm's length. That's why I'm worried about the weight of this bike, but as I explain it, the thought occurs that I could rig some kind of slider, maybe just slick plastic or maybe a furniture dolly, and then I wouldn't have to bear the full weight.
I cannot imagine getting this bike inside any SUV. The hitch rack tykoehn1 linked is under $180 bucks delivered and appears to have the size and carrying capacity to work with the MD 1000.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine getting this bike inside any SUV. The hitch rack tykoehn1 linked is under $300 bucks and appears to have the size and carrying capacity to work with the MD 1000.

Thanks, RMK. I'm looking forward to your ride report. Pending that, I think I've decided on the beast anyway; I'll just budget the Ultra-tow rack after a payday passes and hope it comes back in stock soon.

First Impressions MD 1000

I took the bike for a shakedown cruise riding 30km on trails paved and dirt. I decided the first ride should be with the out of the box controller settings in ECO mode with the PAS set to 5 for the duration. The only modifications I did to the bike were the left side bar end mirror and the Suntour suspension seatpost.

It is a big bike but the standard seatpost was too short for me even at the max extension. The 400mm Suntour gave me the additional needed seat height and ideal riding position. The power and handling of the MD 1000 are amazing especially considering the frame size, weight and tire size. I was able to throw the bike around sharp corners and always felt in control. I ride this route regularly on my Specialized Creo and while they are VERY different bikes, the handling of the much bigger MD 1000 was different but very good.

The power of the Bagang Ultra is well documented. The MD benefits from the combination of Torque and Cadence sensors working in tandem to achieve a nice smooth application of power. I’ve read a number of critiques of the stock Bafang controller. Harsh and abrupt were descriptors prompting folks to pony up to $1000 for reworked controllers over the standard Ultra controller. My Creo is torque based (no throttle) and when using it’s optimal Turbo Mode the power application feels similar to the MD 1000. Granted this is based upon one ride, but my experience with the Creo torque based mid-drive gives me a reference point.

Top speed on flat paved ground was 46km/hr throttle only. Top speed spirited pedaling on a slight down hill was just over 50km/hr. I assume unlocking the controller will allow a bit more speed and I plan on doing that soon. As for the range, the 30km ride consumed nearly 40% of the fully charged batteries. It is a cold (for California) mid 40’s so that might be a factor. Even so, it should allow me to get a 50-60 mile range if I am careful. Extra range was one selling point on tweaking the controller settings so it is something I will address in the near future.

The IGH performed flawlessly. Very quiet and the 5 gears will address any conditions I will encounter.

So to sum up my first ride on my MD 1000, I’m glad I waited out the crazy delays and feel this bike is exactly what I wanted. Now if I can find a bike rack that fits the 50” wheelbase. I attached some photos below. The first one is the sensor magnet position on the rear wheel spoke. It seems a little off but it seemed to work fine. I was hoping @Terry777 could check his and see if it is in a different position?

Attachments

• -899205412_20210101_133039_6408879_resized.jpg
    -899205412_20210101_133039_6408879_resized.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 295
  • -900128933_20210101_114825_10927703_resized.jpg
    -900128933_20210101_114825_10927703_resized.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 309
  • -901052454_20210101_114816_11636514_resized.jpg
    -901052454_20210101_114816_11636514_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 306
  • -901975975_20210101_094827_8573873_resized.jpg
    -901975975_20210101_094827_8573873_resized.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 292
  • -902899496_20210101_094752_8045379_resized.jpg
    -902899496_20210101_094752_8045379_resized.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Cool, RMK. Glad it's what you wanted after all that hassle. I'm convinced, will order the Juggernaut Ultra Beast from Biktrix on Monday. -GF

Cool, RMK. Glad it's what you wanted after all that hassle. I'm convinced, will order the Juggernaut Ultra Beast from Biktrix on Monday. -GF
That was my plan B. I'm happy it worked out the way it did and I'm sure you will be happy with your choice.

First Impressions MD 1000

I took the bike for a shakedown cruise riding 30km on trails paved and dirt. I decided the first ride should be with the out of the box controller settings in ECO mode with the PAS set to 5 for the duration. The only modifications I did to the bike were the left side bar end mirror and the Suntour suspension seatpost.

It is a big bike but the standard seatpost was too short for me even at the max extension. The 400mm Suntour gave me the additional needed seat height and ideal riding position. The power and handling of the MD 1000 are amazing especially considering the frame size, weight and tire size. I was able to throw the bike around sharp corners and always felt in control. I ride this route regularly on my Specialized Creo and while they are VERY different bikes, the handling of the much bigger MD 1000 was different but very good.

The power of the Bagang Ultra is well documented. The MD benefits from the combination of Torque and Cadence sensors working in tandem to achieve a nice smooth application of power. I’ve read a number of critiques of the stock Bafang controller. Harsh and abrupt were descriptors prompting folks to pony up to $1000 for reworked controllers over the standard Ultra controller. My Creo is torque based (no throttle) and when using it’s optimal Turbo Mode the power application feels similar to the MD 1000. Granted this is based upon one ride, but my experience with the Creo torque based mid-drive gives me a reference point.

Top speed on flat paved ground was 46km/hr throttle only. Top speed spirited pedaling on a slight down hill was just over 50km/hr. I assume unlocking the controller will allow a bit more speed and I plan on doing that soon. As for the range, the 30km ride consumed nearly 40% of the fully charged batteries. It is a cold (for California) mid 40’s so that might be a factor. Even so, it should allow me to get a 50-60 mile range if I am careful. Extra range was one selling point on tweaking the controller settings so it is something I will address in the near future.

The IGH performed flawlessly. Very quiet and the 5 gears will address any conditions I will encounter.

So to sum up my first ride on my MD 1000, I’m glad I waited out the crazy delays and feel this bike is exactly what I wanted. Now if I can find a bike rack that fits the 50” wheelbase. I attached some photos below. The first one is the sensor magnet position on the rear wheel spoke. It seems a little off but it seemed to work fine. I was hoping @Terry777 could check his and see if it is in a different position?
Ideal you’ve finally got it brother! 👍
The magnet does sit a bit “off” I checked that out and it’s supposed to be like that. It sits more in line with the horizontal leg than the round potted end. Try sport mode too, you’ll enjoy the extra boost. You must have some length of inside leg, I have mine just a couple of inches above the top of the post tube. I’m only 5”10 Unlocking it does improve the top speed. I have a feeling you will get itchy fingers and tinker a bit like myself. Lol I’ll attach a couple pics of the magnet on mine to.

Attachments

• 662BDD6C-65EF-4AC7-8DE8-28F15E73BF61.jpeg
    662BDD6C-65EF-4AC7-8DE8-28F15E73BF61.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 1016B341-3DDB-42BD-B1A1-B23C0BD8EBBC.jpeg
    1016B341-3DDB-42BD-B1A1-B23C0BD8EBBC.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 244
The magnet does sit a bit “off” I checked that out and it’s supposed to be like that. It sits more in line with the horizontal leg than the round potted end. Try sport mode too, you’ll enjoy the extra boost. You must have some length of inside leg, I have mine just a couple of inches above the top of the post tube. I’m only 5”10 Unlocking it does improve the top speed. I have a feeling you will get itchy fingers and tinker a bit like myself. Lol I’ll attach a couple pics of the magnet on mine to.
Another thing you’ll notice is more range as you put a few charges through the batteries. Nothing mega but defo more.

Thanks Terry, as usual good information from the most experienced MD 1000 owner :cool:. My 37" inseam (same sleeve length) does present fitting problems for many things including bikes. My Specialized bike is a XXL model and that size is the only reason I was able to buy one during the pandemic (plus I have a good friend who works for Specialized). The stock seatpost was a good 3-4" inches short of what I need and the 400mm Suntour added another 4" plus so I'm now at maximum extension with a comfortable riding position.

The saddle is okay but I like to ride for 2 hours or so and a more comfy seat might be on the upgrade list. I know most like to customize their bikes but I'm kind of a minimalist in that regard and like the clean stock stealth look. My local bike trail along the American River (see photo above) has been getting more traffic these days and I am always one of the fastest riders. Some kind of bell or horn would be nice. A little bike bell seems inappropriate for the MD 1000. A train air horn would be about right ... :)

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, as usual good information from the most experienced MD 1000 owner :cool:. My 37" inseam (same sleeve length) does present fitting problems for many things including bikes. My Specialized bike is a XXL model and that size is the only reason I was able to buy one during the pandemic (plus I have a good friend who works for Specialized). The stock seatpost was a good 3-4" inches short of what I need and the 400mm Suntour added another 4" plus so I'm not at maximum extension with a comfortable riding position.

The saddle is okay but I like to ride for 2 hours or so and a more comfy seat might be on the upgrade list. I know most like to customize their bikes but I'm kind of a minimalist in that regard and like the clean stock stealth look. My local bike trail along the American River (see photo above) has been getting more traffic these days and I am always one of the fastest riders. Some kind of bell or horn would be nice. A little bike bell seems inappropriate for the MD 1000. A train air horn would be about right ... :)
Yup, you defo need the proper leg extension if you’re going to be comfortable on long rides. I’m using one of those gel socks that goes over the original seat but I’m thinking the same as you. A new seat as there seems to be loads of nice upgrades out there to choose from. I also use a pair of cycling shorts with the gel liners, they are good too. I have a skinny ar5e! Defo built for speed, not comfort! Lol
I was out today for an hour. Slippery as hell, but the MAXXIS down to 10 psi really surprised me with their grip on pure ice!

Yeah, I've got several of the gel pad shorts and will try using them today on a longer 30 mile ride. The Creo has a wicked narrow seat so the gel padded pants/shorts are a necessity. The controller default tire size is 29". The Maxis tires are huge so that is probably the correct setting. As to the good grip on ice, I hope to never have to test that "feature".
I was also successful in getting the MD 1000 on my current Thule bike rack. It was a bit fiddly but the previously unused folding ramp came in handy with the MD 1000. I removed the batteries and it was easy loading it myself.

Nice one on getting it loaded up on your wheels. I think that may be a problem for some as it’s so big and heavy. I have mine set at 29” too and I have a speed trap thing near me that shows your speed as you pass and tells you to “SLOW DOWN” if your speeding. I’ve tested it at numerous speeds now up to 38mph and it’s dead on every time. Like dead on the money! I’d say the speedometer on the bike is good. GPS agrees too.

Yesterday I got caught out in a drizzly rain and cut the ride short to 25 miles. I tried Sport mode, unlocked the controller speed limit and there was a noticeable jump in power but it was always smooth in it's application. The bike continues to impress with it's handling and in particular the IGH. I am very careful to stop pedaling when shifting and very seldom use throttle so it has been smooth and solid shifting every time. The 5 gears are more than enough with 1st and 2nd able to handle the steepest grades with little pedal effort and it certainly gets a lot of looks and comments as I ride (all positive so far). The one oddity is the IGH adjustment marks. There are clear red and yellow lines on the IGH with the closest alignment in high (5th) gear. They get farther apart as I shift down so I have no idea which is the index gear. Since it is operating great now, I'm not too worried about it but the cable will stretch and it would be nice to know the index gear and mark the ideal position as was demonstrated in the Biktrix SA IGH adjustment video. Honestly, I would prefer the twist shifter used in the Biktrix video vs the supplied trigger shifter. That is something I will consider as an upgrade in the future. Here is a photo of the IGH marks as described.
5th Gear IGH.jpg

Yesterday I got caught out in a drizzly rain and cut the ride short to 25 miles. I tried Sport mode, unlocked the controller speed limit and there was a noticeable jump in power but it was always smooth in it's application. The bike continues to impress with it's handling and in particular the IGH. I am very careful to stop pedaling when shifting and very seldom use throttle so it has been smooth and solid shifting every time. The 5 gears are more than enough with 1st and 2nd able to handle the steepest grades with little pedal effort and it certainly gets a lot of looks and comments as I ride (all positive so far). The one oddity is the IGH adjustment marks. There are clear red and yellow lines on the IGH with the closest alignment in high (5th) gear. They get farther apart as I shift down so I have no idea which is the index gear. Since it is operating great now, I'm not too worried about it but the cable will stretch and it would be nice to know the index gear and mark the ideal position as was demonstrated in the Biktrix SA IGH adjustment video. Honestly, I would prefer the twist shifter used in the Biktrix video vs the supplied trigger shifter. That is something I will consider as an upgrade in the future. Here is a photo of the IGH marks as described.
View attachment 75878
I found a video on YouTube months ago and I think they said that those marks should align in the second gear. I will try to find the video and confirm that!

View attachment 75878
Here is another video I just found. It is not the 5 speed hub but it should give you some understanding how that works.
I will still look for the one with the same hub as on MD1000

View attachment 75878
I think it needs to be aligned in 2nd gear. I attached a manual from SA website.

Attachments

• MANUAL - 5 SPEED ROTARY HUBS.pdf
    496 KB · Views: 308
Awesome news buddy! My front shock was a bit limp so I got a shock pump and set it up properly and it’s perfect now. If your only going to be on pavements and light trails you should be fine. I like to make mine work a little so needed more life in it. It’s a personal thing but I can recommend the rockshock shock pump, it’s not very expensive and decent quality. I can also recommend the rhinowalk panniers too. They are decent for the price. Anything I get gets “well tested” too so if your going easy on it you’ll be fine. I’d also recommend the mirrors that screw into the end of your handlebars as opposed to the ones the bolt onto your bars inside the grips. The later lasted 3 days on my bike and were pretty useless anyways. The greallthy bell is decent too, again it was my second as the first went in the bin as it was crap! All these are available on Amazon so if you want links just shout. Save you guys having fo buy two of things as I did. Hopefully this helps some of you guys. Canny wait till you all start taking delivery guys. It’ll be awesome 🙂👍
@Terry77 Just curious as to the shock pressure you set. I saw 180 recommended for my weight. It is currently at 150 ...

Last edited:
Back