Test ride on a Bikonit MD1000 (Mid-Drive) and HD 750 (Hub-Drive)

Note that the frame for a belt drive must also allow for the belt to be tensioned properly. The axle will need to mount in a horizontal slot vs. the more typical short vertical slot.
As you can see in the attached photo, the belt adjustment is allotted for despite a vertical axel slot.
Thank you for creating a central thread for Ultra programming discussion. I'm going to live with the manufacturers settings for a bit to determine the need for changes. Unfortunately, I am one of the aforementioned "aggressive riders" so I might find that I like the stock settings at the expense of range and IGH longevity.

Attachments

• Bikonit-MD-1000-Electirc-Bicycle-Details-17_480x480.jpg
    Bikonit-MD-1000-Electirc-Bicycle-Details-17_480x480.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Just got a notice from my contact on Alibaba that there is a delay on the bikes. Was suppose to ship out on Nov 7th, now they are saying end of November or early December.
So it goes in the global pandemic ebike market. If it makes you feel any better, most bike shops do not have new bike inventory due to numerous supply chain issues. Even large companies like Specialized have most of their models listed as out of stock on their website. I would not have the bike I'm riding now but for the freakishly large frame (XXL) I need. Not much demand for super-sized bikes.

As you can see in the attached photo, the belt adjustment is allotted for despite a vertical axel slot.
Thank you for creating a central thread for Ultra programming discussion. I'm going to live with the manufacturers settings for a bit to determine the need for changes. Unfortunately, I am one of the aforementioned "aggressive riders" so I might find that I like the stock settings at the expense of range and IGH longevity.
The point remains. That block in your photo, that's carrying the axle, is able to move forward and backward horizontally. Not typical for a chain driven bike. Moot point really, unless your plan is to convert from chain to belt. I doubt many will be up for that challenge!

That whole triangle area on the bike should have a pre-ride check on the connection points, any come loose or slightly shift over time, tension changes on the belt (need to tune) and the fun begins, not to mention the torque from the motor🤔
Also I remember reading on one the forums, that's a problematic area for IGH/belt drive, not having the right locking washer/spacer can cause the nut to loosen/drift......
wishful thinking here, the nuts/bolts on the bike should have mfg. torque specs in the manual in English😂

Just as derailleurs and chains require regular inspection and maintenance, there is a certain amount necessary for the IGH. My guess is that it will be much less frequent than my current cog set/derailleur equipped ebikes. The more important issues are related to riding style. This IGH should be treated much like an automotive transmission e.g. no up or down shifting from 1st to 4th or 5th gear at speed, too much power applied at lower gears, proper adjustments and maintenance etc. Common sense really and these rules apply generally to all IGH equipped ebikes.

If you like to travel with your ebike(s) the Thule EasyFold XL is a pretty good option. Just look for deals as they are a little pricey. The EasyFold was designed for Ebikes and has a weight limit of 130lbs (2 65lb bikes) I had to buy 4 additional XXL straps as the standard straps will not work with fat tires. Folds into a nice small package for storage. It's only 45lbs but has wheels to make moving it around easier. Very fast setup and take down. The included ramp can be useful and does allow loading without lifting but is a bit shaky with large heavy fat tire ebikes.

Attachments

• Thule EasyFold XL.jpg
    Thule EasyFold XL.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Grabbed these pics from the manufacturers video. Mine is coming with "racks and fender" The black one dressed out like that is going to be one fine looking ebike. :cool:

MD 1000 with Racks-Fender.png
MD 1000 hte black one.png

The short 40 second video can be seen here and shows these bikes in more detail. The video also shows a very stout looking mounting system for the front and rear racks and, a frame opening change in the SA equipped production MD 1000's. The production bikes appear to have 4 bolts at the frame opening vs the 2 bolts shown on preproduction bikes.

Last edited:
@RMK! Please let us know when you get your bike and give some details on it. Cons and Pros.
I am like a kid waiting for Xmas with this ebike. I will definitely post my impressions and comments with photos. I may even attempt to do an unboxing/initial setup video. I'm told my bike has the racks and fenders pre installed so that will be interesting. The bike should arrive Thanksgiving week so the timing might be bad for a video but I will try and get some info here ASAP.

Milo anyone? Came across this little communication device when looking for bike to bike communication. When riding with my wife I'm tired of yelling "what did you say?". Pretty cool tech and worth the Kickstarter intro price. It has very good wind noise cancelling tech and also has a mute button just in case you want to break the real time link. Off topic yes but it is a complimentary accessory item that thought some might find interesting.

Last edited:
I thought I would throw in my story. I ordered 5 MD1000 back in May. After numerous delays they finish my bikes mid October. I've been chatting with WhitzATL since September about the progress. My bike was put on the boat soon after I paid the remaining balance. The bike still hasnt left the port in China due to Covid Delays. I was told a couple days ago they are hoping the boat leaves next week. Maybe I will get them around New Years...I'm in Maryland

I thought I would throw in my story. I ordered 5 MD1000 back in May. After numerous delays they finish my bikes mid October. I've been chatting with WhitzATL since September about the progress. My bike was put on the boat soon after I paid the remaining balance. The bike still hasnt left the port in China due to Covid Delays. I was told a couple days ago they are hoping the boat leaves next week. Maybe I will get them around New Years...I'm in Maryland
5 MD 1000's? Large family of large people? Alibaba provides the transit time estimates including the container ship name/number. The Pacific Transit trip only takes 16-18 days (Shanghai to Long Beach). Customs clearance and shipping across country adds +/- 2 weeks so I bet you will get them before Xmas. Hope you have a very large tree and lots of wrapping paper.

5 MD 1000's? Large family of large people? Alibaba provides the transit time estimates including the container ship name/number. The Pacific Transit trip only takes 16-18 days (Shanghai to Long Beach). Customs clearance and shipping across country adds +/- 2 weeks so I bet you will get them before Xmas. Hope you have a very large tree and lots of wrapping paper.
Haha we are a dirt bike family so we like a little power. But there are 6 guys in the family that will be using them plus friends. Ahh I see the shipping updated. They told me on October 20th the bikes were on the boat waiting to leave port.

Attachments

• PXL_20201111_194657954.jpg
    PXL_20201111_194657954.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
You have a big family and are one cool dad! (assuming you are the dad). :)
Once the ship is loaded and leaves you will see the departure date, ship name/number and ETA in the Alibaba tracking app. Pretty cool and I'm liking Alibaba.

Last edited:
Did you order the bikes with the SA IGH or the Sram X5?

You have a big family and are one cool dad! (assuming you are the dad). :)
Once the ship is loaded and leaves you will see the departure date, ship name/number and ETA in the Alibaba tracking app. Pretty cool and I'm liking Alibaba.
View attachment 71189
It's wierd they told me the bike was on the boat on October 20th but Alibaba says they just put it on the boat. Seems like Flora is lying to me. I reached out last week and she said she would check the shipping for me. After not hearing from her awhile she got back to me and said the boat is about to leave. Almost like they forgot to ship my bike. My bike was in the same batch as yours

It's wierd they told me the bike was on the boat on October 20th but Alibaba says they just put it on the boat. Seems like Flora is lying to me. I reached out last week and she said she would check the shipping for me. After not hearing from her awhile she got back to me and said the boat is about to leave. Almost like they forgot to ship my bike. My bike was in the same batch as yours
Yeah, I have found the Chinese do not like to give bad news, especially to Americans. It really is a cultural thing. I was sort of hounding Frank and I think he may have slipped my 1 bike order into the large Bikonit shipment. I found Alibaba to be very good and since they refunded my May order, I have no problems with Leili or Alibaba. Now if the bike doesn't show in the next week or two, I may be singing a different song.

If you like to travel with your ebike(s) the Thule EasyFold XL is a pretty good option. Just look for deals as they are a little pricey. The EasyFold was designed for Ebikes and has a weight limit of 130lbs (2 65lb bikes) I had to buy 4 additional XXL straps as the standard straps will not work with fat tires. Folds into a nice small package for storage. It's only 45lbs but has wheels to make moving it around easier. Very fast setup and take down. The included ramp can be useful and does allow loading without lifting but is a bit shaky with large heavy fat tire ebikes.

I got a bike rack from northern tool, 200 lb capacity

Yeah, I have found the Chinese do not like to give bad news, especially to Americans. It really is a cultural thing. I was sort of hounding Frank and I think he may have slipped my 1 bike order into the large Bikonit shipment. I found Alibaba to be very good and since they refunded my May order, I have no problems with Leili or Alibaba. Now if the bike doesn't show in the next week or two, I may be singing a different song.
Very true, I knew something was up when I wasn't getting updates on Alibaba that my order shipped

Last edited:
Back