First ride in legit heat

FrankR

Region
USA
City
Milky Way Galaxy
Spring here has been up and down, and even when it is mild, it has been 60's ish in the evening - sometimes cooler.

Today was my first ride in real heat. It is currently 85 here, with a heat advisory for it going higher later.
Zero cool in the air. Feeling very hot out.

Was a glorious ride. Short for all of you. But, for me, significantly overweight and just returning to any form of exercise, it was a legit ride.
Ahhh.

Attachments

• TripA.png
    TripA.png
    485.5 KB · Views: 134
85 is legit heat? Maybe you need to move to a more northern galaxy. When the real heat gets here, I usually start my ride just as the sun sets and get home when it's just getting dark. That's because I shattered my alarm clock when I retired, and don't wake up early.

85 is legit heat? Maybe you need to move to a more northern galaxy. When the real heat gets here, I usually start my ride just as the sun sets and get home when it's just getting dark. That's because I shattered my alarm clock when I retired, and don't wake up early.
No - I realize in peak summer that is a mild day.
But just relatively speaking, this is the first legit hot feeling day in my region.

We get into 90s and 100s here.

As much as I dislike heat, with the breeze of riding, 85 is really not to bad. We are getting ready for RAGBRAI the end of July; entirely probable it will be in the 90s with upper 60s dew point. If it crosses 70 dew point we probably won't ride.

Since we are camping, therefor no AC, swimming pools/streams will be key to cooling down core. Yeh I know, total idiot!

Today I rode my bike. There was heat, then it rained. I got wet.
When I was wet the temperature cooled. Then it got hot again.
there was a humidex. I should post a topic every time I ride my bike.

it’s definitely that time of year! yesterday i went on a long ride and for a moment, mid-ride up a hill (acoustic bike!) it was probably 85 in the sun.

i was not sure i was going to make it !

… but then the hill peaked and forest shade paired with higher speeds cooled me off fast.

Last edited:
I wish it was that time of here. here in portland it is still below 50 in the morning and only the last couple of days have gotten above 60.

I work 2nd shift. I leave around noon and come home at night. Basic hours are 12:45 to 9:15pm. So in the summer I'm leaving at the peak of the heat and at night its pretty comfy. In the winter I go in during tolerable cold and freeze at night. Its starting to get hot here now, mid-90s with high humidity. I'm getting ready to test my zip-off leg pants. You can dress for the cold but you can't ride naked in the heat, or can we?

30 miles south of Seattle, I believe today is our first day over 70F this year, and we haven’t been over 60F much . Thankfully, it’s finally stopped raining the past few days as well, and it looks like we’ll get a few more dry days. I heard a meteorologist say recently it’s our coolest Spring in over 50 years (though maybe he was just exaggerating and whining like the rest of us). IMO, rain sucks for bike riding, so we’re taking advantage of the good weather while it’s here! I’ll be on the Foothils trail with my wife and grandson in about an hour.

I rode in the humid 90s soup of yesterday…okay then but later exhausted…temperature extremes are more taxing now that I’m over 70

Biking in AZ gives us many cool and hot days. My wife’s and my preferred biking time is during the dry-hot 90-100 degree times of day. The breeze while riding is quite enjoyable. Sure beats sitting in front of the TV with the A/C on. Cooler times of day are for pickleball.

Biking in AZ gives us many cool and hot days. My wife’s and my preferred biking time is during the dry-hot 90-100 degree times of day. The breeze while riding is quite enjoyable. Sure beats sitting in front of the TV with the A/C on. Cooler times of day are for pickleball.
Yep, I’m sure that’s very nice. Not so great if you’re trying to get a workout though, IMO. Besides, we Washingtonians melt at those temps!🫠

Back