Searching for the perfect ebike

I've looked at Specialized, Trek and Giant ebikes (amongst others), focusing on their road and gravel bikes, most of which come with carbon fiber frames. And therein begins the set of the problems I encounter when trying to choose an ebike; I have zero experience with carbon fiber frames. Casting about the web I see that carbon frames can last anywhere from a few years to a lifetime, depending on care, maintenance, luck etc etc.

When I discuss fit with any bike shop these days, they don't offer much in the way of reassurance that I'll be comfortable for all day rides. About the only fit adjustment points available are some minor stem tweeks and moving the seat for and aft. Even the stem tweeks are limited due to wire and cable routing. None of the major manufacturers supply their bikes with an uncut steerer tube that can be adjusted for fit.
Late to the thread.

We are talking e-bikes. You need to find a LBS that will take the full responsibility for the e-bike diagnosis, repairs and warranty. E-bikes are a way more complicated because of their electronics. I could read many threads on these Fora where a user of a brand well known in road cycling was electronically braking because the brand could have been excellent at the traditional racing bikes but was not especially good with electronics selection and handling. Regarding the "hard to fit" matter you need to be aware the cycling technology has greatly changed over the last 22 years. If the LBS I am talking about could also have a bike-fitting studio that would check all the boxes.

I live in another continent and a country fairly east in Europe yet I have found Specialized with their store just 30 km away the brand I went with and it will not change.
1. Fit is most important to me
A good Specialized LBS should have a Retul bike-fitting studio and yes they know their business.
2. Carbon fiber frame durability and delicacy
There are many good e-bikes with an aluminium frame.
3. Motor controller sophistication.
Nothing beats Specialized in this respect
4. Pricing
You are looking for a perfect e-bike, aren't you :) As I said there is no need to go carbon fibre is you do not feel comfortable with it. Note: Specialized offer the best warranty in the world (ask me how I know...)

I would rather ask you how you would like to use your e-bike. I gather you are into road or gravel cycling. Specialized Creo 1 (road) and Creo 2 (gravel) might be what you are looking for. You might decide you wanted a more comfortable lightweight e-bike and here's where a Vado SL comes to one's mind. However, all SL e-bikes are equipped with lightweight low power mid-drive motors and small battery. Would that be good enough for your big hills? I do not know! Perhaps you need a "full power" e-bike, which is heavier but perfect for the big hills?

If your LBS offers a demo rides or short time rental, nothing can beat a good demo ride. Here's what I could do in my area

1708407911455.png

Demo riding a Specialized Creo 1. (It was not for me!)

1708407979944.png

Demo riding a Specialized Vado SL (I bought a Vado SL a week post that ride).

1708408083437.png

Demo riding a Specialized Tero X.

1708408154555.png

Demo riding a Specialized Tero.

1708408248666.png

Demo riding a Specialized Levo SL.

I could demo ride more Specialized bikes including non e-bikes. It gave me understanding what I well a given e-bike/bike type would fit my interests and it was also important to understand the comfort level to be expected from a given e-bike.

I used to own as many as four e-bikes. Now, I am down to a full power Vado and the lighweight Vado SL. I managed to fit them to my body myself. I also think of a Specialized Creo 2 but why would I need yet another e-bike? :)

Last edited:
I remember now why Specialized didn't make my short list ... :)

View attachment 171542
It is not Specialized. It is S-Works... :) And it is not USD but AUD :D (Oh yes, the OP operates in CAD...)

1708409308288.png

1708409398112.png

'Wouldn't you like a Creo 2, sir? It is in your size!' -- 'Well... Why would I need yet another e-bike?' :)

1708409866606.png

My Vado SL had the handlebars on the same level as the seat. I replaced the stem with a longer one and made it really low to fit my body and needs.

1708410012816.png

My needs :)

Last edited:
IMHO, you're very lucky if you can find a bike on the showroom floor that is the "perfect" bike with everything you want.

In my case, I shopped for my first e-bike for over 2 years before buying. I selected a model with most of what I wanted, and modified it to suit my riding style. Fortunately, I'm a DIY'er and through trial & error, created my own perfect bike. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do my own work though, and not everyone is that lucky.

Some mods, like handlebars, stem height, tires and saddle & suspension components are easy to do with little skill involved. Any quality LBS can also swap these components for you at a reasonable price.

Just something to keep in mind when bike shopping.

Reactions: PSm
IMHO, you're very lucky if you can find a bike on the showroom floor that is the "perfect" bike with everything you want.

In my case, I shopped for my first e-bike for over 2 years before buying. I selected a model with most of what I wanted, and modified it to suit my riding style. Fortunately, I'm a DIY'er and through trial & error, created my own perfect bike. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do my own work though, and not everyone is that lucky.

Some mods, like handlebars, stem height, tires and saddle & suspension components are easy to do with little skill involved. Any quality LBS can also swap these components for you at a reasonable price.

Just something to keep in mind when bike shopping.
For me, I was fine with checking each of the specific dimensions of the online bikes I was looking at to verify approximate fit, and then using a tape measure to adjust settings to same as existing bikes after getting the new bikes.

In my case, the Ride1UP bikes had great pricing, good reliability, and enough adjustment (seat and stem range) for me. I was also able to add an aftermarket EggRider display, that allowed me to adjust watt output at each assist level.

For your stated needs, unless you are flexible and adaptable, your choice of LBS might be more important than the bike brand?

Yeah, the Trek Domane SLR or Specialized Creo may be the one. Which stem did you put on to get +7 degree?
Trek offers a number of + and - stems for this bike, check their webpage spec sheet. The stems can not "flip' for the opposite orientation with this model. Shorter stem, adjustment to brake lever location gives more upright positioning. Wow, these threads go all over the place.

Still working on this...went to a couple of LBS today, will visit more in the coming days. I've made a diagram of my favorite ride with critical dimensions to bring with me. With the diagram I'll be able to measure various models at the LBS to check if one gets close to what I need.

Still working on this...went to a couple of LBS today, will visit more in the coming days. I've made a diagram of my favorite ride with critical dimensions to bring with me. With the diagram I'll be able to measure various models at the LBS to check if one gets close to what I need.
right on spend big bucks and ignore a cheap solution( works everytime-not!)

@MCWeber, another steel-frame ebike would be Jones: https://www.jonesbikes.com/e-bikes/

They use a Bafang mid-drive motor which, I suspect, is less refined than say Bosch or Yamaha, but more powerful. Their steel frames should be very good. I use their H-Bars on both my ebikes.

I wish they would offer their titatnium space frame and fork in an electric version, but apparently its eccentric bottom bracket prevents the conversion (to a mid-drive).

right on spend big bucks and ignore a cheap solution( works everytime-not!)
Not interested in Rubee system. Pedaluma appears to only convert existing bikes to ebike, they are local to California. I'm across the continent in Montreal. Hilltopper ebikes are really cheap, but I think that their motor controller will leave a lot to be desired. Their controller is the basic 4 position one; I want one where I can fine tune assist in each level. I've contacted Pedaluma for more info, maybe that will help your attitude?

Their controller is the basic 4 position one; I want one where I can fine tune assist in each level. I've contacted Pedaluma for more info, maybe that will help your attitude?
The other approach: Many assist levels. My ebike has an option for 9 non-zero levels. Tried it and have never looked back.

Can't reprogram the levels, but they're nicely spaced, running through them on the fly is quick and easy enough, and I can always find a good one for the job at hand.

The other approach: Many assist levels. My ebike has an option for 9 non-zero levels. Tried it and have never looked back.
Did you try this:
"I want to ride for 50 miles with a predicted elevation gain of 3,000 ft and return with 5% battery left. I have no idea what the wind or terrain quality will be"?
Or, "I want to ride with 30% of initial assistance and initial 30% of the max motor power cap, and I don't want my HR ever exceed 120 so please e-bike help me control my HR"?

That's the difference between premium electronics and multiple assist levels, among others. The latter cannot do the trick, especially as you do not know what is ahead of you on the trail and want the electronics to regulate the assistance so you can achieve your goal.

That was what made me want Specialized in the first place after I had my experience with a classic hub-motor e-bike (5 assist levels) and a Giant e-MTB (5 assist levels, programmable assist but no Smart Control).

Last edited:
@MCWeber, another steel-frame ebike would be Jones: https://www.jonesbikes.com/e-bikes/

They use a Bafang mid-drive motor which, I suspect, is less refined than say Bosch or Yamaha, but more powerful. Their steel frames should be very good. I use their H-Bars on both my ebikes.

I wish they would offer their titatnium space frame and fork in an electric version, but apparently its eccentric bottom bracket prevents the conversion (to a mid-drive).
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call.

I love my H-Bar on my Salsa Mukluk ... well designed and made.

Have you considered the Orbea Gain? Beautiful bikes. https://velo.outsideonline.com/ebike/2023-orbea-gain-e-road-bike-first-ride-review/

Or Scott Addict e-ride?

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call.
@MCWeber: I could not fail noticing you think a steel e-bike would be a perfect choice for you, However, the technology has changed greatly over last 20 years. Companies to offer steel-frame bikes usually know very little about e-bike technology and put rather unsophisticated e-bike components into something what is still considered a traditional pedal bike.

It takes years of R&D to make an excellent e-bike that is meant to be an e-bike from the day 1. That's why either aluminium or carbon fibre are used for e-bike frames. These frames have to be beefier than ones used for pedal bikes to support more of the structural weight and higher loads resulting from use of a strong motor and a battery. Also, components such as brakes must be better than ones used for "just a bike".

Finally, only purchase at a good LBS nearby you will ensure your e-bike future is trouble free.

The market is paved with e-bikes that will become troublesome: a) Almost instantly b) After a year or two c) In a longer run. Whatever you choose, avoid online purchase or DIY.

How often I do read: 'Hi, I am a proud owner of a Brand/Model. My e-bike has stopped working. Still, I'm loving my Brand/Model!' in these Fora...

Back