Evelo Omega and Priority Current compared

Doggyman1202

In the fall of 2019, I purchased my first e-bike (Avention Pace 500) and then went through a learning curve of sorts, buying, selling and testing about a dozen models until I happily settled on the Priority Current. The Current met all of my criteria (mid drive belt, IGH, etc.) but early this year I was seduced by the allure of an automatic transmission coupled with generous discounts offered by Evelo, so I pulled the trigger on the Omega.

I'm still very bullish on both machines, and unlike my earlier acquisitions, both the Current and Omega are keepers. I have the Shimano version of the Current. The Omega comes with the Enviolo automatic transmission, but a few users have chosen to ride it as a manual. (The Omega is very customizable by way of the Enviolo app).

I'm not an engineer or mechanic, so this is mainly a non-technical, totally subjective comparison.

Cockpit) I'll give this round to the Evelo. The monochrome display on the Current is no-nonsense and tells you what you need to know clearly. It's not sexy in any way like the slicker, full color display on the Omega. The Omega also shows you battery percentage. That's helpful, especially when you're budgeting range. My main gripe with the Current cockpit though is the location of the front light. It's on the handlebar and has a tendency to move around or flop forward. My friend suffers the same problem with her Current, probably because we spend a lot of time riding on dirt and gravel. It's not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance. The front light on the Omega, on the other hand, is fixed to the frame and stays put. The back light on the respective Current and Omega fender is equally fine. I have not measured headlight lumens on either bike and since we never ride before dawn or after dark, absolute brightness is not a factor for us.

Frame Comparison) The Current is a mid-step. The Omega is a step-thru. While the step-thru Omega is slightly easier to mount or dismount (especially dismount after a long ride, when my legs feel like rubber) I still prefer the lighter and easier to manuever Current frame. (The Current is eight to ten pounds lighter depending on frame size. There is only one frame size for the Omega). More importantly than weight, the Current is easier to grab n' go by virtue of the crossover bar. The pure V frame of the Omega requires both hands if you need to lift it off the ground. It also requires an adapter bar for many (but not all) vehicle bike racks. For reasons I won't dwell on right now, I'm not a fan of the adapter bar for rack mounting. I have no choice though, unless I upgrade my Hollywood Sport rack.

By sheer serendipity, I've experienced all three frame sizes of the Current. I purchased the medium, but my friend bought the small frame for herself. I'm 5'11" and she's 5'4". This past Spring an old college buddy bought the large frame Current (he's also 5'11"). I can ride the small frame without an issue, but I'm a bit too stretched out for complete comfort. I think my college friend made the bullseye choice going with the large frame. That's the size I would go with if I were to buy the Current again, and the frame I'd recommend to someone my size or taller. It's not a huge difference, but I prefer having the saddle sit closer to the frame while still enjoying full leg extension, which is possible with the largest size Current.

Comfort) I'll go with the conventional wisdom here which is guided by my own experience. Both bikes are very comfortable to ride, but I'll give the nod to the slightly more upright seating posture on the Omega. In many respects, my purchase of the Omega was a roll of the dice. My biggest concern was the cruiser style swept back handlebars. I had rented a beach cruiser e-bike last December in Florida and didn't care for it. The wide handlebar felt a bit vague to steer (maybe it just takes some getting used to). In any case, my fear was unfounded. The Omega handles fine, especially considering the wide (but not fat) 2.8-inch tires.

Neither bike has a front suspension fork. I'm somewhere between agnostic and simply not interested in that feature. I've been on a few bikes with suspension forks, and I'd likely lock it out most of the time. I prefer not to have the added weight, maintenance, and wasted energy dedicated to a softer ride. Everyone has a different comfort tolerance though, so I understand why it is important to many potential buyers.

I did change the stock seat on the Omega early on (I'm satisfied with the stock Selle Royale on the Current) and I feel like I can sit on the Omega indefinitely. It's the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. The Current is plenty comfortable too, but with a less cushy ride due to somewhat narrower tires (2"), slightly sportier riding posture, and a bit more requisite pedal-effort (typical of torque sensor). I feel more exercised after a long ride on the Current, which is not altogether a bad thing.

As for handling, the Current is a little nimbler, but the Omega feels a little more stable.

Performance) This is the trickiest set of variables to quantify but I'll give it a go.

Braking: The Current's braking is sharper, no question. For some reason though, the Current's brakes are more prone to noise, although I find that easy to rectify with regular cleaning.

Power: I wasted no time setting both bikes to Class 3. The 750-watt Dapu motor on the Omega is quieter than the Current's Truckrun motor, but then again, I'm not bothered much by the more noticeable whir on the Current. I have yet to encounter a hill here in the Green Mountains that the Current couldn't conquer, but the Omega is a monster on hills. I have not measured which bike is quicker off the line, but both bikes have enough giddyap for my style, and I suspect most riders as well. Paradoxically, while the Omega would win a speed race uphill, I have not been able to get it much past 24 MPH. I have reached the 28 mph limit (give or take) on the Current without much effort on a flat paved surface. I mention this mainly for those that care. I don't, since I rarely feel the need to pedal that fast.

Speaking of pedaling, the Current lacks a throttle. That's "a feature, not a bug" to me, but I know I'm part of a minority on that score. (However, if you are in the habit of riding a throttle more often than not, you can buy a nice comfortable bike for much less money than either one of these two. A lot of variables won't matter very much if you're not pedaling).

The single greatest pleasure of the Current is the pedal feel. I'm not sure I understand why the Current feels more responsive or natural than the Omega, but it might have to do with the cadence/torque sensor hybrid on the Omega vs. the pure torque sensor on the Current. There is also a slight cadence lag on the Omega off the line, but it's much less noticeable than other bikes I've experienced, and I'm used to the delay, (quarter of a rotation at most) so it no longer bothers me. (I'm told it can be further reduced in the app, but I'm a little shy about unintended consequences). There is no such lag on the Current. It's simply smoother off the line.

Transmissions: The Enviolo Automatiq is pretty damn amazing. I have not and likely will not change the default settings, and I'm more than impressed by how smartly the CVT adapts. Since shifting the Shimano IGH on the Current has largely become a matter of muscle memory, I can't argue that I actually needed the automatic transmission. Still, it's a nice luxury not to shift, and there have not been many occasions when I second guessed the Enviolo's "brain". Many purchasers of the Omega seem to think it's a prerequisite to upload the Enviolo app and customize the cadence settings. I strongly disagree, but that's a rant for another post.

Range: On paper, the Omega appears to have much better range than the Current (720-watt hours vs. 500-watt hours on the Current). As a practical matter, I have not found the range difference that significant, but I only did one casual, not very scientific comparison. On a flat paved bike trail, I managed around 60 miles on the Omega and close to 50 on the Current. However, both companies offer battery extenders which should double the respective range. The Evelo extender, as of this writing, is more affordable. It's better integrated too and easier to install. The Omega extender works in parallel with the main battery, regularly alternating back and forth. The Current extender waits for the main battery to drain (3 out of 10 bars I found) before kicking in. In summary, if ultimate range is a meaningful consideration, the winning hand goes to the Omega.

Customer Service) Not much to say here. While nothing in this world is perfect, both Evelo and Priority have been outstanding to deal with. Both rate a 5 out of 5 in my book.

Value) Not long ago, the Priority Current was hard to top as a value proposition, offering high end performance at a mid-tier price. As most of you probably know, the crowded e-bike space has become a lot more competitive lately. While I'd rate both bikes an excellent value now, the Evelo Omega is a great "sleeper" bargain in the marketplace at the moment, given its roster of high end features.

Conclusion) I don't have a fixed riding pattern, but I find myself riding the Current and Omega about equally. On the one hand, the Omega is a little more comfortable and more refined. To quote my friend, it's also a little "zoomier". On the other hand, the Current is sportier and more engaging to ride. It's an easier bike to recommend to someone that is on the fence about switching from analog to electric since in many ways it feels like the absolute best of both worlds. However, as I learned in the course of the past riding season, I can hand the Omega over to a friend or family member and there is absolutely no learning curve. Just get on n' go!

Interestingly, my friend who owns the Current could have written most of the above. Without any prompting, she has voiced most of the same opinions about both bikes. Consequently, we wind up sharing n' switching when we go on extended rides.

I'm happy to answer any question if I can and would love to hear the opinions of others that might have experienced one or both of these bikes.

Last edited:
Great review! My only hesitation about buying the Omega is the lack of suspension (same as the Current). How does it feel off-trail over rocks & some bumpy dirt (think tree roots, etc)?

Great review! My only hesitation about buying the Omega is the lack of suspension (same as the Current). How does it feel off-trail over rocks & some bumpy dirt (think tree roots, etc)?
It does not have mountain bike capability, but front suspension does not guarantee a great ride over roots n' rocks either. More often than not, I ride on dirt and/or gravel roads but not much off road. However, there is one particular trail section I ride that meets your description. It's less than 2 miles. It's manageable, and the Omega is better than the Current on that stretch, but it does not feel like a Cadillac Escalade either, that's for sure. Then again, I've been riding bikes for half a century and front suspension forks are a relatively new-fangled invention (or at least newly popular). I'm used to having my ass kicked a bit on a bicycle.

Two summers ago I met a young couple riding analog Cannondale bikes with front suspension forks on a very popular limestone-surface bike path here in Vermont. I can't get it out of my head how uncomfortable the 20 something young lady looked bouncing up and down, and hanging on to the handlebars for dear life. While that has little to do directly with your question it created a bias in my mind against wanting anything to do with suspension forks.

With that said, I watched a guy on Youtube demo the Ride1Up Prodigy V2 on a mountain bike trail with decent results (although I don't know how well the bike withstood the punishment). That bike might hit the sweet spot for you, inasmuch as it doesn't have a throttle ( I still maintain that a torque sensor, sweet pedaling mid drive mitigates the need for a throttle. A bike like that is a delight to pedal).

With that said, I watched a guy on Youtube demo the Ride1Up Prodigy V2 on a mountain bike trail with decent results (although I don't know how well the bike withstood the punishment). That bike might hit the sweet spot for you, inasmuch as it doesn't have a throttle ( I still maintain that a torque sensor, sweet pedaling mid drive mitigates the need for a throttle. A bike like that is a delight to pedal).
I was considering that one, but, when I do go off-trail, I have this awful habit of crashing, bloody-ing (is that a word?) myself up and, occasionally, unable to pedal after that (yikes, I know). I'd be on that Prodigy V2 w/ CVT like white on rice, but, without that ability to throttle, I can't do it. I'm an accident waiting to happen, but having fun doing it, too. ;)

Back