External vs Integrated battery packs - which do you prefer and why?

I also have a bike with an external Yamaha battery, and was wondering if I have a fall off the bike, if I need to get the battery inspected that it is safe to continue riding? I have read that any damage to the battery creates unsafe use and charging. I would assume that an integrated battery is better protected in the event of a spill off the bike.

I don't see why an external battery would be more susceptible to damage from a spill as long as it is secured to the bike frame properly. Carrying a spare battery in a pannier or tail bag is another story however.

I met a fellow rider in a trail parking lot last year who had damaged his battery while riding between two pipe stanchions. The space between the pipes wasn't wide enough for his bike with the panniers. The one carrying the battery struck the pipe and cracked the plastic battery case. A simple spill could possibly cause similar damage.

Since I carry my spare batteries in panniers, I now use a protective case:

In addition, I put the above padded case in one of these hard shell plastic cases:

I was able to find a size that closely matches my battery dimensions.

Yes, the case adds bulk but still fits in my panniers. IMO, the added protection is well worth the loss of a bit of carrying capacity.

This idea also works well for protecting batteries during vehicle transport. The case handle makes carrying the battery easier and less likely to slip out of your hands.

I don't see why an external battery would be more susceptible to damage from a spill as long as it is secured to the bike frame properly. Carrying a spare battery in a pannier or tail bag is another story however.

I met a fellow rider in a trail parking lot last year who had damaged his battery while riding between two pipe stanchions. The space between the pipes wasn't wide enough for his bike with the panniers. The one carrying the battery struck the pipe and cracked the plastic battery case. A simple spill could possibly cause similar damage.

Since I carry my spare batteries in panniers, I now use a protective case:
[...]

Good suggestion for using a case when carrying a battery in a pannier. When carrying a spare battery I typically use both panniers (on the side of the rack) and a trunk bag (on top of the rack). Taking advantage of the small size of semi-integrated battery packs, I put it in the trunk bag on top, as the ground is likely to hit the seat and/or the pannier rather than the trunk bag.

Good suggestion for using a case when carrying a battery in a pannier. When carrying a spare battery I typically use both panniers (on the side of the rack) and a trunk bag (on top of the rack). Taking advantage of the small size of semi-integrated battery packs, I put it in the trunk bag on top, as the ground is likely to hit the seat and/or the pannier rather than the trunk bag.

Yours is definitely the best approach but unfortunately, my battery is too large to fit in my favorite trunk bag. I also like having frequently used items like tools, snacks, camera etc. at my fingertips and not have to dig through a pannier to get at them.

now that the internal battery systems been out for awhile have any of you changed your thoughts on them?

now that the internal battery systems been out for awhile have any of you changed your thoughts on them?
Given the choice of external vs. internal, I would go the internal/Reention case route for the cleaner look. What I would avoid, as in it would be a deal breaker, would be ANY bike with a proprietary battery.

Why? Proprietary batteries are ALWAYS expensive. They give the bike manf. a license to steal.

Given the choice of external vs. internal, I would go the internal/Reention case route for the cleaner look. What I would avoid, as in it would be a deal breaker, would be ANY bike with a proprietary battery.

Why? Proprietary batteries are ALWAYS expensive. They give the bike manf. a license to steal.
Many people here, as smart as you have come to a different conclusion.

Actually some of the more expensive proprietary batteries are made with higher standards of approval for the cells used, have superior records of reliability, actually last longer, have guarantees of replacement stock to be available for a minimum of 10 years after product introduction and come with better and longer warranties. For some cost is the only consideration. For others quality and long term company reputation is something worth paying extra for.

Just because you don't recognize the added value does not mean that it is not there or that the higher price is theft.

As to long and skinny internal versus short and chubby internal; the internal ones weight more and are much more difficult to carry along an extra for a long ride. They do make for a prettier bike. The external power packs are much easier to put in a trunk bag, a way safer place to carry a lithium ion battery than a backpack.

While they can be a bit pricey I don't know about always it's kinda like your car dealer sometimes you can find good deals on factor parts hopefully they'll come down over time. while I know for the most part there over price just like a good car battery there not going to be cheap

A person ready to spend $$$ on Creo can certainly afford a heated garage.
That's not always the case. The last thought on my mind when I purchased the Creo was to spend more money on heating the garage which is why I keep it stored in the basement during the entire winter season. The Trance, on the other hand, with its removable battery gets left in the garage which is where it will remain. Plus, it’s much more convenient to wheel it out on winter rides. :)

Many people here, as smart as you have come to a different conclusion.

Actually some of the more expensive proprietary batteries are made with higher standards of approval for the cells used, have superior records of reliability, actually last longer, have guarantees of replacement stock to be available for a minimum of 10 years after product introduction and come with better and longer warranties. For some cost is the only consideration. For others quality and long term company reputation is something worth paying extra for.

Just because you don't recognize the added value does not mean that it is not there or that the higher price is theft.

As to long and skinny internal versus short and chubby internal; the internal ones weight more and are much more difficult to carry along an extra for a long ride. They do make for a prettier bike. The external power packs are much easier to put in a trunk bag, a way safer place to carry a lithium ion battery than a backpack.
I stated my 'druthers, that will not likely change. Apologies if they don't match yours. -Al

I spent enough to get an integrated battery for a variety of reasons. Aesthetics, security, potential future Range Boost, room for water bottles, improved aero. I’m of the opinion that any system you intend to own for a long time should be bought with the best you can afford and in the case of my Allant+7, an extra integrated battery was always in my plan. I may also buy the Range Boost as I get older and don’t care about aesthetics as much.
3E51E6D6-3869-4B0B-8A05-E18ACBCDE93C.jpeg

i only buy bikes with time tested readily available external packs, one of the first things on my check list!, i do not want to be left high and dry because a company changes a design or goes belly up, another factor for me is capacity, internal packs currently just dont have the capacity i need, i would end up having to run an additional piggyback pack and that would ruin the look and totally defeat the purpose of buying an integrated frame.

EDIT: i stand corrected i watched the review of one of the new Sonders Ultra powered bikes and it had an integrated 48v 21ah pack! i hope this becomes a trend, an integrated battery this big is tempting.

Last edited:
That's not always the case. The last thought on my mind when I purchased the Creo was to spend more money on heating the garage which is why I keep it stored in the basement during the entire winter season. The Trance, on the other hand, with its removable battery gets left in the garage which is where it will remain. Plus, it’s much more convenient to wheel it out on winter rides. :)
My Red Head sleeps in the spare bedroom but... I wouldn't call it stored I am usually up and riding her by 3 something in the morning and her battery can be removed just as easily as a external.

I prefer external packs, my ebike is homemade kit, I just have a tool box on the back to put my battery in. It works fine.Plus I am able to experiment with different packs as I wish, I am waiting on a 28,000mah Smallden pack of Aliexpress, should be good for 15 miles or so. My current packs only get me about 5 km but hey, they get me into town and back to Tesco, and to the park to fly my drone, so it OK really.
Rob

Usually, an integrated batter looks much better, but looks are no better than 5th on my priority list.

They are stealthier. That's not even on my priority list.

Winner: generic batteries

I stated my 'druthers, that will not likely change. Apologies if they don't match yours. -Al
It was not that your druthers don't match mine. It was that you implied my druthers granted a "license to steal". I and others who make the same choices are not so stupid as to allow companies to steal from us.

I am not advocating you change your "druthers". Your reason is plain and rational. Lower cost is always a very important consideration. I was pointing out that it is not the only thing to consider, IF one can afford something better.

Last edited:
I hope that in the future there will be standard external batteries that you can change at some special locations or even gas stations. just like hydrogen cars

It was not that your druthers don't match mine. It was that you implied my druthers granted a "license to steal". I and others who make the same choices are not so stupid as to allow companies to steal from us.

I am not advocating you change your "druthers". Your reason is plain and rational. Lower cost is always a very important consideration. I was pointing out that it is not the only thing to consider, IF you can afford something better.
And here, you're implying that I can't afford anything but an inexpensive bike, no? I can assure you that I can afford any bike I want (pretty easily). The issue is justifying that expense. I've had some really nice cars in my younger years, but any more, I'm really happy with a Honda. You prefer expensive cars? Go for it!

The "license to steal" is a situation I use to describe where a manf, being the only place you can go to for a replacement part, can charge anything he wants to for it - regardless of quality. I consider that situation a "license to steal" as they have no competition You buy the part you need from them or scrap your bike. You can go off trying to explain it off as "quality control" or something, but I see it as a situation to avoid. No rocket science involved.....

The "license to steal" is a situation I use to describe where a manf, being the only place you can go to for a replacement part, can charge anything he wants to for it - regardless of quality. I consider that situation a "license to steal" as they have no competition You buy the part you need from them or scrap your bike. You can go off trying to explain it off as "quality control" or something, but I see it as a situation to avoid. No rocket science involved.....
How is this different from your Honda? Can you easily replace your engine, alternator, or engine control module (ECM) with one from Toyota?

Back