Evelo, Gazelle, or Priority

I purchased a Priority Current. No issues. I enjoy DTC companies, their more innovative, and provide great value for price point. I use the LBS for service if they will service. If not I use Mobile bicycle Service. I like Yamaha Mid-Drives as Yamaha has been building e-bikes since the 1990s. Yamaha seems to have a better service model too on their Yamaha branded ebikes. I know that Yamaha powersports and instruments have a great reputation for reliability. Great dealership support.

I purchased a Priority Current. No issues. I enjoy DTC companies, their more innovative, and provide great value for price point. I use the LBS for service if they will service. If not I use Mobile bicycle Service. I like Yamaha Mid-Drives as Yamaha has been building e-bikes since the 1990s. Yamaha seems to have a better service model too on their Yamaha branded ebikes. I know that Yamaha powersports and instruments have a great reputation for reliability. Great dealership support.
Alloo, I hope you get lots of fun miles on your Priority Current - no doubt it is a great bike. Thanks for the input! In my research I was unable to discover which motor Priority uses, but I agree on MidDrive motors and Yamaha does have a good reputation. DTC brands cover a wide range in the ebike market and I believe Priority is doing a good job and deliver quality products. The price through Costco Next makes their bikes a good value too.

The 40% assistance on my Vado 5.0 is the standard I use for most of my rides. I go down to 35 or 30% when I want to ensure a long battery range.
In my quest to understand how assistance is actually implemented in real bikes, have to ask: These percentages could refer to many things. What do they mean in your bike?

For example, X% could mean that the mechanical power delivered to your crank in that assist mode can be no more than X% of the motor's maximum. How much of that X% you actually get at any given moment would then be determined by the controller based on sensor readings at the time.

In my quest to understand how assistance is actually implemented in real bikes, have to ask: These percentages could refer to many things. What do they mean in your bike?

For example, X% could mean that the mechanical power delivered to your crank in that assist mode can be no more than X% of the motor's maximum. How much of that X% you actually get at any given moment would then be determined by the controller based on sensor readings at the time.
I'm talking about the Specialized convention.

It is 40% of the maximum amplification factor of the rider's legs. The maximum for my specific Vado is 3.2x so 40% gives 1.28x. When I input 100 W the motor will assist with 128 W of mechanical power.

Specialized e-bikes also have another parameter, which is the Max Motor Power. My specific Vado has the peak mechanical power of 520 W. If I set the Max Motor Power to 40%, the motor will never assist with more than 208 W (mechanical).

I'm talking about the Specialized convention.

It is 40% of the maximum amplification factor of the rider's legs. The maximum for my specific Vado is 3.2x so 40% gives 1.28x. When I input 100 W the motor will assist with 128 W of mechanical power.

Specialized e-bikes also have another parameter, which is the Max Motor Power. My specific Vado has the peak mechanical power of 520 W. If I set the Max Motor Power to 40%, the motor will never assist with more than 208 W (mechanical).
Thanks — very clear.

After a great deal of research, lots of input from folks on the EBR forums, and visiting to a number of bike shops - from 20 to 140 miles away - I have finally made a decision and ordered an electric bike.

I bought a Zen Samurai custom configuration, a high quality custom electric bike built in North America and shipped to my door.
My customization includes these upgrades:
1) Kiox display- I wanted battery percentage instead of a graph. It's also small but easy to read. It has the Bosch Smart System to pair with my phone and lots of features. It displays the battery percentage and my phone battery percentage at the same time. How cool! If you opt for the second battery it shows the charge of each, maybe the phone too 🤷‍♂️.
2) Magura MT5 brakes - good stopping power.
3) Supernova lights - with multiple front light settings, including a couple flashing modes and a brake light- it's nice and bright.

The other optional components I ordered are part of the base package; Enviolo Super Duty Gear Hub with CVP stepless shifting, Manitou front suspension fork, Zen suspension seat post, and Super Moto-X tires. I chose a Chilli Red medium size frame which fits me well - (I'm 5"8" - and not 135 lb, for reference). The Zen Samurai fits my main requirements: mid drive, internal gear hub, belt drive, and class 3. The rest is like icing on some very good cake - (for reference, maybe why I'm not 135 lb). ;)

An important feature I wanted is UL Certification. Zen uses the Bosch system which is UL listed for the batteries, chargers, and motors. I'm thrilled to support a new company, a small business with some great people, big plans and what looks like a bright future. Plus, the bike is designed and built in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. How great is that?
IMG_2701.jpeg

For service, I've checked with the owner (David) of a bike shop I've purchased a bike from in the past. He is Bosch certified and has agreed to service my new bike. He's a great guy and was happy to talk e-bikes with me before I made my decision. He fully understands (at least I hope) that he doesn't carry what I want in a bike.

Right now, I still have over 2 feet of snow in my yard, an ice covered driveway and it's still cold - 12F to be exact. Since the bike arrived there have been a couple days when it got above 32F, and the road in front of my house was dry, so I did a couple test rides to get a feel for the Enviolo gearing. I really, really wanted to get a bike without a chain and especially without a derailleur and I'm very happy with this belt drive and Enviolo gear hub with the stepless shifter. The motor power is smooth and quiet, changing assist level is easy, and the Zen Samurai is an exhilarating ride.

The ordering process went very well, however, the shipping didn't go so well, and the bike arrived damaged. This was not the fault of Zen or the way they packaged the bike. Somehow, one entire end of the box went missing and the bike must have fallen out. There was an extreme snowstorm in Chicago when my bike was on route, and this probably had a play in the box/bike getting damaged.

Zen was clear from the beginning that they would make it right. Already, they have built another bike for me. I've chosen to have it shipped to a shop (David's) and when it is assembled I will make an exchange. This way I don't have to repackage the damaged bike. Nice!
Zen has been super supportive and responded to all my calls, texts, and emails promptly. I wouldn't hesitate to place another order - but maybe not during the winter.

I'm excited to get my new Zen Samurai, and look forward to the bike trails, which are currently snowmobile trails, becoming bike trails again. I'll update when I have some ride time behind me.

IMG_0958.jpeg

My replacement Zen Samurai has arrived at the bike shop and will be ready this afternoon. David, the bike shop owner, said it's a beautiful bike.
I'm about to go pick it up and have the first bike loaded on my 1Up USA rack ready to go. It isn't as secure on the rack as my current analog bike because of the fenders, and probably the weight so I have used hook and loop straps to add stability. I think I can make some adjustments that will help in the future, but for now I'm sure it will be fine.

IMG_1434.jpeg

Picked up the replacement Samurai - can't wait for the trails to be free of snow. The Kiox is so cool! It shows the charge level of both batteries and my phone at the same time.
The Samurai in white reflective material (see 2nd photo below) on the top tube is new. It wasn't on the first bike. It looks nice.

The front fender doesn't fit well (it rubs) and it's difficult to adjust. This was a problem with the first bike as well. I'm going remove it - not a big deal to me. Eventually I'll find one that works. Not sure what the deal is. Even the LBS guy couldn't get it right. He suggested it might help to trim it so I can consider that at another point. The back fender is great but the brackets are too wide for my bike rack arm to move past them (visible in the photo above). I used a couple velcro straps to compensate and it works fine.

I removed the batteries for the trip - 63 miles each way - because I thought I read that was a good idea. LBS owner gave me a small cover made to fit the connection for the Bosch Power Pack so it is protected with the battery removed - otherwise it's kind of exposed. The rubber cover fits snuggly and works well. I'll keep it on carabiner clip with the keys.

The Power Pack placement prevents use of a bottle cage where the braze-ons are located but I think they could be used for one of those folding locks. Not sure what I'll do for a bottle.
There are braze-ons on both sides of the head tube, I think for a front rack. They're right where the wires go into the down tube so not a great spot for a bottle cage. I wouldn't mind having a front rack if I find what ever is supposed to fit with those braze-ons. I'm excited to have an electric bike and look forward to getting out on it when the weather improves. Soon!

IMG_4301.jpeg
70261115824__D75FB456-DE17-4777-866D-674E38C6073A.jpeg

Last edited:
The snow is mostly gone and it's starting to get a bit warmer - all the way up to 43F. I've taken a couple short rides on the bike trail not far from my house bringing my dog along in her new trailer. It's slow going because I let her trot alongside part of the way, about half a mile at a time, she's old with arthritis. The rides with the trailer have only been about 14 and 16 miles +/- 1.5 hours. This set up is going to work out well. I chose this trailer - doggyride novel dog bike trailer - because it was big enough- just barley -and for the center tow arm.

Last edited:
Got in another ride today on a different part of the 55 mile trail in my area - this time it was about 26 miles rt so eventually I'll get to see the whole trail.
I tried a couple different bottle holders but the only one that works is a handle bar mounted cage I got on Amazon. It looks obnoxious but it holds a bottle and is easy to reach.
Also added a Spurcycle bell.

Today, after a 27 mile round trip, and almost back to my car, my dog decided to jump out of the trailer when we passed a couple walking a dog. Luckily I was going slow and saw what was happening in the rear view mirror but I was unable to prevent falling over. The landing was softened by leaves and moist soil, NO DAMAGE to anyone or anything. My mistake for not securing her into the trailer.

Back