Evelo, Gazelle, or Priority

That's more or less what the Evelo Atlas designer says in a review by Court at EBR. They, as the manufacturer can make changes but not the end user.
The Current ships as a class 1 -20mph max but the owner can easily change that with the controller to class 3. I never paid attention whether or not it could be set back to class 1?

If by 'the owner' you mean the company selling the bike, yes...but M600s can not be 'end user' switched without a CANBUS programmer or the BESST tool, at least without an almost-nonexistent-except-for-Luna-LudiV2-controller/custom controller on the motor (not the display, actual controller inside the motor). They're meant to be set only by the 'dealer' without jumping through hoops (e.g. buying the BESST tool and a Bafang login (or a hack to scripts, but not 'typical user friendly.')

I am the OP and I have not quite made a final decision. However, I have just returned from looking, again, at the Gazelle C380+ and a bunch of other bikes at the LBS (the other bikes were used to demonstrate various differences) and I learned a great deal. Those bikes with full suspension - geeze!!! And I had thought the camo painted hunting bikes with 2 hub motors were odd.

Yeah lol, there are some interesting bikes out there, although a large number of them are near-clones minus some component selection changes as well (smaller brands re-branding fairly standard components including e.g. frames, etc.).

Full suspension is great, IMO, but not needed for flat riding, and light trails, etc.
I'm sure the dual hub powered bikes would be interesting to ride, but not for me. YMMV.

@TrevorB said Consider adding dropper post to whatever bike you buy. I now know exactly what it is and how it works.

Surprising how time flies while talking with (actually, mostly listening, which might surprise anyone who has read my long posts) 🤣 the very enthusiastic salesman/buyer, Logan. He filled me in on a bunch of things, including all sorts of inside scoop kind of info. He said he has ordered and they "should" have a new model Gazelle with belt drive, IGH, class 3 in stock in by the middle of February.
I have already forgotten the name 🙄 but I got the impression it will be a new model of the Ultimate C380+ with the next gen (4?) Bosch "stuff".
That's one downside - seeing updates for US market bikes (i.e. moving the speed limit upwards) is somewhat slow and longer cycle time than some other changes, but it's good to see more and more brands doing it, even if in most cases it's the same motor and bike, just with the restriction removed/increased values.

Last edited:
I get the idea Priority is a bit mum on the motor they use for the Current. However, some owners, in the past, had figured out which motor was used in their Current (I can't remember what it was called). One guy was able to contact the motor manufacturer and order the cable he needed to add a throttle. Made a detailed YT video. Subsequently, I read that Priority claims they do not use "said" motor. I've read elsewhere that people think the Current motor is Bafang due to the high torque - 140Nm.
Interesting - there are only so many choices of motors out there. The comment about adding throttle makes it sound even more likely it's an M600... even if they 'claim it's our own special sauce,' very few bike sellers are real manufacturers, etc...mostly component assembly, especially on the motors. Even Luna, who I believe has a fairly large $$ cushion, thought about doing their own motor and backed out of that idea. Biktrix, another seemingly large and well-funded dealer was working with someone on a motor, but it wasn't an in-house solo-developed motor AFAIK.

PersonalIy, I think the Bafang M600, with all the other parts in the Atlas, are probably very good and would more than satisfy my needs. So would the C380+ and the Priority with what ever motor!
Priority has a lot of videos explaining all aspects of their bikes and components. They clearly state the Current ships Class 1 but the end user can set it to Class 3. The guy shows how in the video on the Current page. He also shows a lot of other features in the controller that the Gazelle C380+ lacks. In fact, Gazelle ships the most expensive belt drive ebike they offer with the lowest level Bosch controller...spend $5000 on a great bike and then $250 or is it $350 to get a decent controller.
Huh. Will have to look at their videos. Some dealers/'manufacturers' play a bit loose with their claimed specs - there is no other Bafang motor that fits, while it's generally specced as 120Nm.
There are some clever 'canbus hack boxes' that are simple, and could be turned into a 'user settable speed limit' or even a binary switch (e.g. 20mph or 28mph limit), but seems surprising. Will see if can find the mentioned video.

Class 1 / Class 3 setting on the Priority Current.

To clear up some of the confusion on the speed setting on the Current. It is not done at the factory and does not require a special tool.

This is a completely user selectable parameter in the control panel. You can actually set the speed limit down (below the 20 mph default) or up in 1mph increments to a max of 28 mph. See attached photos from my bike.
1732EEC8-3F01-46D9-B2CF-CCE75E3041CF.jpeg
5A24A84F-3D43-4A6A-9776-26FBEE586472.jpeg

Class 1 / Class 3 setting on the Priority Current.

To clear up some of the confusion on the speed setting on the Current. It is not done at the factory and does not require a special tool.

This is a completely user selectable parameter in the control panel. You can actually set the speed limit down (below the 20 mph default) or up in 1mph increments to a max of 28 mph. See attached photos from my bike.View attachment 145918View attachment 145919

Thanks for clearing that up! Appreciate it. The controller on the Current is one reason I like this bike a lot. Also; IGH, belt mid drive, the torque, and the price at Costco Next!

Last day of the Evelo sale. Save money. Good idea. Atlas is a great choice, as are the other Evelo bikes ( and the others on my list). Not sure why I can't make up my mind?

I'm actually in the process of re-reading this entire thread. There were a lot of helpful comments (thank you all 👍) and I want to refresh memory. Might help prevent buyers remorse.

I came across this, a pretty good Current thread, when trying to sort WTH motor is being used. Thanks for whomever posted the vid, but yeah, seems to be a no-name-brand motor from someone, can't sort whom at this point.

One post in here seems to indicate only ~22MPH on flat ground, which would be a consideration for some commuters.

Interestingly, after reading this thread again, I didn't come away with the idea that the highest number of comments were against the Evelo Atlas.
And there was more comments than I remembered about the Priority Current.
Maybe I shouldn't have spent so much time searching all around the rabbit hole and just paid more attention to this thread I started.

One thing I do know and admit about myself, is that I find that I'm easily
influenced by ads and this probably translates to sale people, like the enthusiastic guy at the LBS selling the C380+
although he has not been pushy and didn't try to steer me away from what I went in to see (of course it was already the highest priced model in my category).

I do see the value of having local support, an easy to diagnose system like Bosch, and wide network of dealers across the country and Gazelle is good quality. I just wish they used a bit higher level componentry for the price.

And, for what it's worth, another point I hadn't thought of before, is that I would have more engagement from the start just by putting together a D2C bike, which might encourage me learn more about taking care of maintenance.

I came across this, a pretty good Current thread, when trying to sort WTH motor is being used. Thanks for whomever posted the vid, but yeah, seems to be a no-name-brand motor from someone, can't sort whom at this point.

One post in here seems to indicate only ~22MPH on flat ground, which would be a consideration for some commuters.
Thanks for the links to the Current threads info. I'm starting to read them now. I used to live just a few blocks from where this picture was taken:) @Achterba copied from the review. I miss SF!

Achterba

20210118_103932.jpg

Achterbahn

Last edited:
The Evelo Resolution Sale has ended. Gone is the $800 savings. I decided I didn't want to deal with a bike in the middle of winter. I do not have a garage, my house is small and there is not enough room in my shed to build a bike, besides, no heat in there.

If things go as planned, spring will be here eventually!

Believe or not but I keep my Vado SL in my room (I live in a small communal flat post fire of my home). My bigger e-bike resides inside my station wagon.
I participate in this thread as I would like to encourage you @kneebenderbiker to buy an e-bike you could be really proud of :)

Thanks @Stefan Mikes I appreciate your participation. Eventually I will have an e-bike I can be proud of.
Right now, I have a bike on a trainer in my bathroom/laundry room - which works fine - being upright!

Very sorry to hear about the house fire in your home 😲

Evelo frequently runs sales. If you have signed up for their mailing list, you will be notified when they have another sale.

To broaden my horizon, I've been looking at the ZEN Samurai. They look like great bikes and I'd love to support a new company with a product made in Canada. The option to customize the Samurai is very attractive to me. The Kindernay VII option looks like an improvement over the Enviolo CVT, which I haven't yet tried. Maybe later this month if my LBS follows through with the plan to partner with a local school to use the gym for an E-Bike Information Day. Another advantage to the Samurai, like the Gazelle C380+, it uses Bosch, so local support is more likely than the Atlas Bafang M600.

What I don't like about ZEN is the limited information on their website. Don't bother to click the links at the bottom of the page: FAQ, Return a product, Owners manual. The links don't work.
I did email the company to ask about their warranty. Hopefully they reply. It just seems so odd and ominous that they have neglected their website.

To broaden my horizon, I've been looking at the ZEN Samurai. They look like great bikes and I'd love to support a new company with a product made in Canada. The option to customize the Samurai is very attractive to me. The Kindernay VII option looks like an improvement over the Enviolo CVT, which I haven't yet tried. Maybe later this month if my LBS follows through with the plan to partner with a local school to use the gym for an E-Bike Information Day. Another advantage to the Samurai, like the Gazelle C380+, it uses Bosch, so local support is more likely than the Atlas Bafang M600.

What I don't like about ZEN is the limited information on their website. Don't bother to click the links at the bottom of the page: FAQ, Return a product, Owners manual. The links don't work.
I did email the company to ask about their warranty. Hopefully they reply. It just seems so odd and ominous that they have neglected their website.
Kind of wished I would have looked closer at the DŌST Kope CVT and the ZEN Samurai.

The sales guy/buyer at LBS told me he has already scheduled a meeting with the DŌST reps at the upcoming Dealers Bike Show. as well as Evelo, and Vaast. It crossed my mind to suggest he talk to ZEN too.

Back