Evelo, Gazelle, or Priority

Yes, it's only money. It's easy for me to spend money but I don't always feel like I'm getting the best value when I spend more.
I believe there are some nuances to "you get what you pay for".
You get what you decide is best for you and your pocketbook.
I’ve built kitted bikes for $800 and up to $3500 in parts costs. Every build had a value to someone along the cost scale. My favorite kitted rides would cost about what a Vado level bike would with components of equal quality, but no components are proprietary.

I love tech stuff and appreciate all of it in my wife’s cage but I care less about cataloging my rides anx amassing data of zero value to me.

So yeah you get whatcha pay for but if I pay to much I get junk I don’t need anx a level of complexity that makes it not a bike FOR ME anymore.

I used tho be really much more critical of those OEM direct bikes. And there are still those bad values out there. But at the same time some of them may well be more sustainable than the big fellas and their lock into expensive service.

Zen keeps coming up on my radar as a potential market changer and incredible value. I’d be on the ZEN door long before Trek, Specialized, and their ilk.

You get what you decide is best for you and your pocketbook.
I’ve built kitted bikes for $800 and up to $3500 in parts costs. Every build had a value to someone along the cost scale. My favorite kitted rides would cost about what a Vado level bike would with components of equal quality, but no components are proprietary.

I love tech stuff and appreciate all of it in my wife’s cage but I care less about cataloging my rides anx amassing data of zero value to me.

So yeah you get whatcha pay for but if I pay to much I get junk I don’t need anx a level of complexity that makes it not a bike FOR ME anymore.

I used tho be really much more critical of those OEM direct bikes. And there are still those bad values out there. But at the same time some of them may well be more sustainable than the big fellas and their lock into expensive service.

Zen keeps coming up on my radar as a potential market changer and incredible value. I’d be on the ZEN door long before Trek, Specialized, and their ilk.
There is no way I would build a bike and probably no way I would buy a home built one either, although it seems to work for you.
My sister told me to hold off on getting an ebike because one of her friends was ordering a container full to sell. I asked no questions and made no response. Not for me period.

Last edited:
Went to two more bike shops today, almost 200 miles rt. I saw lots of bikes, even 3 ebikes with IGH/belt. Salesperson at the first place told me they work on any bikes people bring in. However, for ebike motors and electronics they only work on Bosch systems since that's what they're trained in. This store also only recently started carrying Gazelle due to the Trek shortage, same as the LBS closer to me. An independent retailer with lots of brands and some I had never heard of, but only 2 belt drive ebikes - both 3 speed Gazelle I think.

The second place, fairly big chain of stores, also had a lot of bikes, including 1 IGH belt drive- a 2022 Specialized Como 5.0 IGH for $5749.99 same weird handlebars as the lesser models. That was the only belt drive bike I found in the whole plce. After 20 minutes or so the only person I spoke with was another customer. He and his wife had just made a downpayment on two ebikes (Aventon) which he said he was going to go home and research so I told him about EBR forums 👍. The store person was busy with a bunch of guys and snowboards or something.

I also spoke with one of my neighbors who used to work on bikes, now he refurbishes fishing boats and motors. He said, more or less what all of the smart gentleman here have said, LBS support is a good idea. He admitted he knew nothing about ebikes but did make that point.

So I've checked out Velofix per @AHicks - there is one that happens to be near the flagship REI. It states;
Yes we are equipped to service all brands of Electric bikes! Our technicians can perform any mechanical or bicycle-related work on electric bikes, but they cannot diagnose electrical problems or install motor kit conversions. Too bad for the last part of that sentence but still a great option.
It also show prices for building a D2C bike. Cool service.

So I've checked out Velofix per @AHicks - there is one that happens to be near the flagship REI. It states;
Yes we are equipped to service all brands of Electric bikes! Our technicians can perform any mechanical or bicycle-related work on electric bikes, but they cannot diagnose electrical problems or install motor kit conversions. Too bad for the last part of that sentence but still a great option.
It also show prices for building a D2C bike. Cool service.

On the bold, that's what good factory support is about. In practice, there's generally not much trouble going on with the electrical other than the occasional bad connection that can be a headache - and pretty sure REI or Velofix techs have seen them before.....

Then there's also the practical standpoint where that electrical cop out is there to cover their butt when working with issues that are likely going to cost more than the bike cost new (thinking 599. Walmart special). -Al

Given your knee I'd consider bike with throttle but nonthrottle ebike with clipons and Turbo your good leg should be able to get you home. I'd consider old school toe clips and straps for your good foot, only tighten fit strap if you are down to one leg.

Given your knee I'd consider bike with throttle but nonthrottle ebike with clipons and Turbo your good leg should be able to get you home. I'd consider old school toe clips and straps for your good foot, only tighten fit strap if you are down to one leg.
Good tips- thanks TrevorB - yeah a throttle is on my list of hope to get and one reason Atlas is fighting for top place over the C380+. I might have to check out Class 2 bikes.

I hadn’t thought of straps or clips but they might help. When I used to commute I had clipless and they seemed to help with efficiency.

There is no way I would build a bike and probably no way I would buy a home built one either, although it seems to work for you.
My sister told me to hold off on getting an ebike because one of her friends was ordering a container full to sell. I asked no questions and made no response. Not for
And I hope you don’t. The point is price is relative.

Made it to REI today and the bicycle technician helped me understand a great deal more about working on D2C bikes. They will work on any bikes as long as the manufacturer can support and offer parts. There are 3 different REI stores all within 2-3 hours of me so I feel like I'm covered. Not ideal but not too bad since my new bike is going to work perfectly and never need attention 🤪 👍Can't hurt to hope.

I also checked out fit - tried straddling a few bikes, as I did at most of the stores I've visited. Unfortunately, I still can't step through a step through from either side. Very odd, but I can get my R "bad" leg up and over the saddle from the kickstand side so good to go so long as I don't have to raise the saddle too much. Otherwise, leaning the bike down towards me also works.

A few days ago I contacted Evelo about parts: My question in bold - Evelo response follows;
Also, beings that the Atlas is a newer model, and a few models have been discontinued already, how will people be able to get parts for their bikes if the model goes out of production?
We still have parts for bikes we were selling in 2012 - we want to make sure all of our customers can continue to repair and enjoy their bikes even after design changes. There are also 3rd party services that can rebuild batteries, and most components are available 3rd party as well.

So that's good news and puts one more concern out of the way. Evelo Atlas, Gazelle Ultimate C380+ and Priority Current are still on the radar! I have continued to check out other bikes but keep coming back to these 3.

Last edited:
I started a new thread because I didn't know where else to post this;
Atlas throttle option suggestions; on & off the handlebars.
Hello Atlas owners and anyone with suggestions. I would like ideas about how one might be able to have an Atlas and throttle but be able to attach and detach the throttle easily.

I don't (yet) have an Atlas but seriously considering it. I also want a throttle and while OH SO MANY hate the throttle, pay no attention to local regulations concerning the throttle or don't give a ****about anything...
I would like to have one and still be able to comply with the local regulations which mean no class 3 w/throttle on state trails. Apparently they're legal on the roads where I live, for now (no matter what Evelo says) and I plan to use the throttle on the roads getting to the trails. So I thought to attach when I'm going out and remove it once I get to the trail. It has an easy plug 🤷‍♂️ right?.

Simple. Except I emailed Evelo and got this response; The throttle is intended to be installed and left installed. You will wear it out prematurely by taking it on and off regularly. When the throttle is installed its not a street legal bike because the throttle will be capable of 28 mph, which is illegal even for a class 3 bike. For this reason we sell it separately.

The Evelo Atlas doesn't have the capability for the owner to change the speed settings in the controller to class 2, (which are allowed on state trails, for now) like the Priority Current does - maybe others too IDK?

It seems to me that a handy, clever person (definitely not me) could fashion some sort of device that would make it as simple as say, detaching a controller screen, for instance, and unplugging the cord. Or something like a quick release on a seat or wheel. Or a buckle like my dogs collar, even hook and loop. There must be some way?

Or should I just forget the throttle? since I'm such a law abiding, civilized person who takes everyone into consideration and do not want to increase the dislike of e-bikers. What do you think?

Changing the Class is illegal (whatever else you are told). Class means Class.

I personally think a good mid-drive would do even with your bad knee but if you want to go cheap and be ridden instead of riding then perhaps you could consider buying a motorcycle? Fast, street legal, effortless.

What is your goal? Get some workout or not?

Made it to REI today and the bicycle technician helped me understand a great deal more about working on D2C bikes. They will work on any bikes as long as the manufacturer can support and offer parts. There are 3 different REI stores all within 2-3 hours of me so I feel like I'm covered. Not ideal but not too bad since my new bike is going to work perfectly and never need attention 🤪 👍Can't hurt to hope.

I also checked out fit - tried straddling a few bikes, as I did at most of the stores I've visited. Unfortunately, I still can't step through a step through from either side. Very odd, but I can get my R "bad" leg up and over the saddle from the kickstand side so good to go so long as I don't have to raise the saddle too much. Otherwise, leaning the bike down towards me also works.

A few days ago I contacted Evelo about parts: My question in bold - Evelo response follows;
Also, beings that the Atlas is a newer model, and a few models have been discontinued already, how will people be able to get parts for their bikes if the model goes out of production?
We still have parts for bikes we were selling in 2012 - we want to make sure all of our customers can continue to repair and enjoy their bikes even after design changes. There are also 3rd party services that can rebuild batteries, and most components are available 3rd party as well.

So that's good news and puts one more concern out of the way. Evelo Atlas, Gazelle Ultimate C380+ and Priority Current are still on the radar! I have continued to check out other bikes but keep coming back to these 3.
Consider adding dropper post to whatever bike you buy. There are even some with built in suspension, may take bit researching to find.

Hey Stefan - Changing the Class is illegal- that's news to me. I just know that Priority offers that option. They sell the Current as Class 1 -20mph with the option to increase the speed to 28mph.

I have had a few motorcycles over the years. I often toured/camped all over the Sierra Nevada mountains on a motorcycle during many summers (18) when I lived in San Francisco. And I took it on my truck when I visited my parents in AZ to tour and camp down there. I don't want another motorcycle or a scooter. Well, maybe if I also had a motorhome one would come in handy. But I don't.

My goal IS to get some exercise, to explore, get out and about. And like I've said before, I plan to take the bike when I travel to explore. I find myself in the mountains a lot, camping and exploring. Riding forest service roads would be fun and a throttle would helpful. I realize they are controversial and that I don't really need one but as long as it's available, why not?

The truth is, I'll probably forgo a throttle because I do want to use the bike paths and trails available near me (trails are about 8 or 12 miles away - others are like 20+) I can load the bike on the carrier and drive it to the trails avoiding the dangerous county roads I would have to take to get there (which was the impetus for the throttle).

I can't, realistically, ride in the winter. I'm not getting a fat tire bike, or studded tires. Ever since I had to stop skiing I've disliked winters. So I will only ride in the summer unless I take a trip somewhere, like AZ. My parents are no longer there so I don't find much reason to go. I just use my current bike on my trainer in the winter.

Last edited:
Consider adding dropper post to whatever bike you buy. There are even some with built in suspension, may take bit researching to find.
thanks for the suggestion TrevorB - I looked up dropper post but will have to look into further - is it to make the seat raise and lower easier?

I am a first-time e-bike owner and for my bike, I went with the Priority Current. After about three weeks of ownership, I will say that I am delighted with my purchase. The bike was shipping via FedEx and arrived in perfect condition. Assembly consisted of attaching the front wheel, front fender, the handlebar to the head (4 5mm Allen bolts), the pedals (wrench included), and tightening the 4 mm bolts on the already in place rear fender.

I called Priority twice during the process with some minor questions and the phone was answered quickly by humans who were very helpful and answered my questions right away. I also called them a few days later for guidance on raising the handlebar angle for a more upright seating position and once again got help immediately. I also emailed them once when the water bottle cage that I also purchased from them fell apart. They replied quickly offering to either refund the cost or replace it with a better (more expensive) model at no additional charge (I chose the latter).

I ridden the bike several times, but as I write this I only have bit over 100 miles on the odometer so far. My initial reaction is that this is an excellent bike for my needs. Everything seems to be functioning well.

I am 72 and I live in Florida (so no major hills). The longest single trip that I’ve done so far is 20 miles. My typical usage (other that to experiment with the bike’s capabilities) is to run the bike from 0-2. As a result, my battery usage is light (I’ve actually only charged the battery once thus far).

Before buying this, I rode a friend’s Gazelle as well as a couple of less expensive chain driven rear hub powered bikes. I found a huge difference in the experience of torque sensor vs. cadence sensor bikes. I also greatly preferred the belt driven bikes. Unlike the Gazelle, the Priority lacks a suspension, but for my use case that wasn’t a must have, and the price differential especially with the Costco discount was just too great.

In my area there are a number of local bike shops and although I haven’t reached out in person, a few of them advertise e-bike assembly services among other repairs so I am hopeful that working with Priority, repairs wii not be a problem. I am planning on contacting an LBS for a100 mile safety check mostly just to establish a relationship.

Great news! @Jdmass Congratulations on your new Priority Current. Thanks for sharing your experience and Welcome to EBR - I’m finding it helpful and entertaining.

I appreciate your compliments on Priority’s customer service as I hadn’t read much about that, although they did answer my emails promptly with answers to all my questions.

They do a good job with their website and I love all the videos. The discount at Costco Next makes those products a terrific bargain and I’m very tempted. I do wish the Current had front fork suspension but many people seem to like it fine without.

Let us all know how it goes after you get more riding. Enjoy.

Hey Stefan - Changing the Class is illegal- that's news to me. I just know that Priority offers that option. They sell the Current as Class 1 -20mph with the option to increase the speed to 28mph.
It can only happen in the United States :) So many companies do everything to earn their green dollar... but it is still illegal. Many people think it is just slapping a "Class 1" label on their e-bike frame to change the Class...
See Canada: they only allow 32 km/h e-bikes. Anything beyond is illegal. If for example Trek or Specialized dealer there tried to change a 20 mph e-bike to 28 mph by software, they would soon lose their dealership. In Europe, we only have 25 km/h bikes or 45 km/h mopeds (both electrically assisted). Change anything to that and you technically have committed a criminal offence (people here know it and still do it but it is illegal).

My goal IS to get some exercise
That's why I was shocked to learn you wanted a Class 2 e-bike.
1675069292164.png

In my area there are a number of local bike shops and although I haven’t reached out in person, a few of them advertise e-bike assembly services among other repairs so I am hopeful that working with Priority, repairs wii not be a problem.
There are LBS that will work on any e-bike but only on the bicycle part. If anything wrong happens to the electrical part of the Priority who will do the repair? How does the Priority warranty looks like? Let me give you an example:

My nearest LBS is a Cannondale, Shimano etc. dealer. The owner will do everything for me as long it is the bicycle matter. For example, I can safely ask him for trueing the wheel. If it comes to anything related to e-bike, he will only handle Cannondale and nothing else (and he would be the most happy if I bought a Cannondale e-bike from him). The good thing about Bosch E-Bike systems is many LBS handle the Bosch e-bikes (e.g. Trek), and any Bosch E-Bike rep can also handle the electricals of an e-bike such as a Gazelle. So, what if the Priority motor or controller or display or wiring fails? Who handles a cracked frame for the Priority if that happens?

Thanks, Stefan, for your helpful insight. I appreciate it and will definitely take another look at Specialized. Hopefully I'll be inspired to ride even half of your milage 👍 I defiantly need the exercise.
I don't really know how far or how often I will ride? but more battery the better. IMHO

Of the 3 bikes I have been focused on, the Evelo Atlas seems to have a bit more powerful motor, more battery capacity and the easy to add extra battery. The throttle is a good option, too, plus it seems to be a bit more suited to off road use and has a much longer warranty. I don't doubt their commitment to customer service but what distance do I travel for shop service?

The Priority Current has the most torque, it also has the capability to be set as a Class 1 or 3 by the owner using the controller, which may be helpful if I find places Class 3 are not allowed.
Speaking of allowed - I did see somewhere about people adding a throttle to the Current. After watching a YT video - it looked like even I could do that - although getting the proper cable isn't easy. Plus I subsequently saw where Priority claims they use a different motor now. 🤷‍♂️

I did notice the battery for the Gazelle C380+ isn't the biggest. None of the bikes would have enough battery (without the extra) for me to ride to the LBSs and back home without recharging, about 42 miles. Maybe close on eco mode. I'm hoping it's not going to be a frequent destination anyway.

I'm realizing a big advantage for the getting a C380+ is the LBS sells it, has it in stock and eventually I could test ride it- as you point out: it is vital to have a brand LBS behind your back; and a good warranty. Gazelle does have a long history, I'm likely to find a shop with Gazelle (and Specialized) in most cities when I travel. They may not have top of the line components as standard - think Purion - but I'm sure all parts work as intended. The controllers on Atlas and Current seem much better but I can only go by reviews. Being an upgradable part just means more money!

The other LBS carries Specialized - maybe only Specialized - fairly small shop. He did have some Como models and I listened to him telling some other shoppers about them. He didn't have much time for me 😮 after I mentioned that I thought Specialized didn't have removable batteries. My bad - too much research and fading memory- I had only looked online at the Turbo Como SL.
I'll stop in there again and see what he has.
My wife has a gazelle t10 Medeo which has been problem-free for a year+ now.
Note there is a pretty big difference in battery/power consumption between the Bosch vs e.g. Bafang. Being used to Bafang behavior, initially I was never sure my wife's battery meter was even remotely working, as I would burn 50% or more battery on the BBHSD, and she'd be sitting at basically full (granted, her display only has 4-5 bars). I'd look for real-world numbers on the Bosch, also noting the environment (flat vs steep hills) and assist levels can have a large impact on battery life.

Note that Stefan is an unabashed Specialized lover, and the only 'hammer' he has to solve problems. Nothing (much) wrong with Specialized, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from a Gazelle, depending on the purpose and bike.

It can only happen in the United States :) So many companies do everything to earn their green dollar... but it is still illegal. Many people think it is just slapping a "Class 1" label on their e-bike frame to change the Class...
See Canada: they only allow 32 km/h e-bikes. Anything beyond is illegal. If for example Trek or Specialized dealer there tried to change a 20 mph e-bike to 28 mph by software, they would soon lose their dealership. In Europe, we only have 25 km/h bikes or 45 km/h mopeds (both electrically assisted). Change anything to that and you technically have committed a criminal offence (people here know it and still do it but it is illegal).

That's why I was shocked to learn you wanted a Class 2 e-bike.
View attachment 145852

There are LBS that will work on any e-bike but only on the bicycle part. If anything wrong happens to the electrical part of the Priority who will do the repair? How does the Priority warranty looks like? Let me give you an example:

My nearest LBS is a Cannondale, Shimano etc. dealer. The owner will do everything for me as long it is the bicycle matter. For example, I can safely ask him for trueing the wheel. If it comes to anything related to e-bike, he will only handle Cannondale and nothing else (and he would be the most happy if I bought a Cannondale e-bike from him). The good thing about Bosch E-Bike systems is many LBS handle the Bosch e-bikes (e.g. Trek), and any Bosch E-Bike rep can also handle the electricals of an e-bike such as a Gazelle. So, what if the Priority motor or controller or display or wiring fails? Who handles a cracked frame for the Priority if that happens?

Good points for sure. I do think-after extensive research- that for higher quality ebikes, with a good warranty, owners will be able to find parts and service, even on the motor and electrical system with the support of the company that made the bikes. I'm taking Zen, Vvolt, Evelo and Priority since those are companies I've research. That doesn't mean necessarily at the closest LBS.

After all my research on the two D2C bikes non my list, I've only seen one comment about trouble getting the service/parts/help or whatever. It was an unanswered email but that person wasn't too concerned about since every other interaction had been super smooth and quick.

In most parts of the US the rules around bike class and where they are allowed are very confusing and not just for ebike owners. I'm sure that will change in most states before too long.
Where I live it doesn't seem to matter and many locals wouldn't follow the rules anyway. At one hiking/xc ski trail I visit with my dog in all seasons has signs at each trailhead that state NO BIKES but I consistently find fat tire tracks. In the snow the tire tracks can make it hard to walk if they rode when it was warmer and then it gets colder.

Many people think it is just slapping a "Class 1" label on their e-bike frame to change the Class...
No doubt. I saw a YT video, may have been an EBR review, where there were stickers in the box with the charger; Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3. Take your pick.

Back