Evelo, Gazelle, or Priority

Thanks again, Stefan, good to know. One difference for me would be the less efficient IGH and belt drive. No more chains and derailleur for me. But having the ability to make adjustments like that would be helpful, however, TBH, I'm kind of lazy. I don't know how often I would make adjustments. Maybe something I would work into with miles on the bike. Even on expensive, high quality bikes (analog) with top of the line components, I didn't change gears much - but then I could stand up to pedal if needed. There were some hills on my commutes which necessitated shifting but I usually tried to avoid it. An Enviolo CVT will be much different so controls/options to change settings might come in handy.

Thanks again, Stefan, good to know. One difference for me would be the less efficient IGH and belt drive. No more chains and derailleur for me. But having the ability to make adjustments like that would be helpful, however, TBH, I'm kind of lazy. I don't know how often I would make adjustments. Maybe something I would work into with miles on the bike. Even on expensive, high quality bikes (analog) with top of the line components, I didn't change gears much - but then I could stand up to pedal if needed. There were some hills on my commutes which necessitated shifting but I usually tried to avoid it. An Enviolo CVT will be much different so controls/options to change settings might come in handy.

Take range conversations with a grain of salt, LOTS of variables to consider, FYI. The Bosch motor is the most efficient motor on the market too. Though the battery is smaller the motor uses less juice. The $1k price for the second battery is if you want it mounted on the bike and integrated into the system (which is pretty slick) but only available on the high step bike. A spare Bosch Powertube 500wh is $797.50, currently we have ours on sale at 15% off too, so if you just wanted to carry a 2nd batt it's a bit less than mentioned.

Also the brands Yuba and Diamondback do have a D2C model but they also have a dealer network (we sell them among our other brands) so it's a bit of a hybrid model.

All food for thought! Sounds like you're close, lemme know what size and frame style you're after, we ship all over the country! ;)😁

Many variables affect range besides the battery capacity ... wind, assist level, elevation changes, road/trail surface. I can get 65 to 80 miles on my Gazelle Arroyo with the 500 battery using Eco mode on a relatively flat paved trail and mild or no wind.

3 thoughts, do as you like.

The Atlas wheels/spokes came through perfectly on my bike, and at about 750 miles of combination light off road and on road/hard pack, with this 300 lb butt in place the whole time, they have remained true without spoke tension issues. I'm an amateur wheel builder, so I'm picky about such things.

Second, you might see if you could work out a deal where you paid your local shop to assemble and go over the bike for you? This may provide both of you a certain level of security. Bonus here would be they could likely set the bike up for your preferred riding position - which can be a big deal in itself.

Last, and certainly the most controversial, I would not even consider a bike without a throttle. A hard deal breaker here, but to be absolutely fair, clearly that may have something to do with my age, and degree of physical fitness. From a safety standpoint, in the 7 years I've been riding e-bikes, there have been 3 occasions where that throttle has allowed me to ride home after various accidents. Uncomfortable certainly, but still mobile. Then there's the convenience of using the throttle to get the bike moving from a stop (those first few feet where you are collecting your balance), and having an ace in the hole if you find yourself over extended (for any reason). This is like an auto trans in a car, or power steering. Sure, you can get away without either feature in a car, but would you buy a car without either/both? The throttle is there if/when you need it, and even if you NEVER used it, there is little downside to having it available.
3 thoughts I much appreciate, thank you AHicks.

I'm very happy to hear your wheels and spokes arrived in working order. I'm guessing the delivery service is a major factor in how the bikes arrive. From my experience I have more confidence with UPS than FedEx and I think Evelo uses UPS. Nothing personal against FedEx, but for my area it's not the best, has a different driver for every delivery (high turnover?) often in their own car/van and the hub is miles and miles away. UPS hub is around 25 miles away and I usually have the same driver. I even asked him about delivering a bike and he said he's delivered a few and that they're heavy. No doubt!

I researched spoke adjustment and would skip having a bike if I had to do that myself. Not even sure what wheel truing is? Oh, I looked- they are the same thing.
I admire your wheel, spoke enthusiasm.

I did visit the 2 closest bike shops and they showed zero interest in helping with a D2C bike. Well, I didn't actually bring it up with one guy but it was obvious. I'm not even sure how helpful he would be if I bought a bike from him directly. The other owner told me straight up NO and then added; liability, parts, no knowledge about bikes he doesn't sell. Fine, I understand, he's busy enough and doesn't need/want D2C business.

The bike shop where I bought my current bike might help out with assemble, set up/adjustments. He was listed as an option to have a Priority bike delivered to his shop for set up and adjustment through their affiliate; Beeline Connect maybe? I did stop in recently and spent about an hour (he wasn't doing anything but drinking coffee).
After looking me up on his computer, he was able to remember how I wanted a belt drive and IGH which he didn't have in early 2020 so I bought a Giant Cypress from him. He again offered me a Townie and said it's his most popular selling model. No thank you.

He said he did agree to sign up with Beeline Connect and had heard of Priority, but hadn't heard much or gotten any bikes to assemble. Had not heard of Evelo.
He said there were some "outfits" offering to sell him the opportunity to be listed as a place to take delivery and set up D2C bikes. He declined.

He said he was intrigued with Vvolt ebikes (I had already decided they are not for me - lower powered motor, lesser battery and designed for street riding).
His interest was because Vvolt was started by the people that started a bicycle rain gear or clothing company 🤷‍♂️ that he was really impressed with.

He also brought up the issue of ebike battery fires and his (legitimate) fear with that. Next, stating that he would fix a flat or something like that as long as it meant he didn't have to have the battery in his shop or near his person. So, after all that, who knows? I may drive the 95 miles or so and speak to him once again about the Evelo Atlas.

There is one more bike shop I visited (the 4th) that is a possibility (1 1/2 hour drive freeway) I got different responses from different people but I could check again.
.....have I already said all this before somewhere? Sorry if that's the case.

As far as the throttle goes, I do see it as a positive. Each time I brought it up in the shops I visited I got different responses. The 2nd visit to the local-ish bike shop, Gazelle vender, the owner told me that he and his sales person, both of whom I spent time with, said that after I left they discussed throttle options for me. He said they didn't come up with anything. Basically, what he was saying is that none of the brands they sell have a throttle option. Throttles are not allowed on trails or bike paths here and there's a grey area as far as street legal. Enforcement is a whole 'nother topic!

Shops here will do a bike adjustment. But nothing with eBike components and do not want a battery in their shop. Unless it’s one of their Trek/Electra eBikes and batteries. Works well for me. IME the electrics are the easy part. If I’m stuck I can ask here.

Take range conversations with a grain of salt, LOTS of variables to consider, FYI. The Bosch motor is the most efficient motor on the market too. Though the battery is smaller the motor uses less juice. The $1k price for the second battery is if you want it mounted on the bike and integrated into the system (which is pretty slick) but only available on the high step bike. A spare Bosch Powertube 500wh is $797.50, currently we have ours on sale at 15% off too, so if you just wanted to carry a 2nd batt it's a bit less than mentioned.

Also the brands Yuba and Diamondback do have a D2C model but they also have a dealer network (we sell them among our other brands) so it's a bit of a hybrid model.

All food for thought! Sounds like you're close, lemme know what size and frame style you're after, we ship all over the country! ;)😁

Haven't looked at Diamondback or Yuba. My biggest consideration is IGH with a belt drive, Class 3 and I want it to fit on my current hitch carrier.
Interesting that manufacturers sells D2C and to retailers. I'm seeing that for a few brands.

Thanks for clearing up about the Gazelle extra battery. I knew the high step offered a separate extra battery pack option which doesn't work on the mid/low step models.
I pretty much need a low step but can manage a midstep - so carrying a 2nd downtube battery would work but that means panniers or something. However, I did just now realized that having one when I'm camping would provide a usable bike for a longer period. Just keep it in the truck until needed.

Many variables affect range besides the battery capacity ... wind, assist level, elevation changes, road/trail surface. I can get 65 to 80 miles on my Gazelle Arroyo with the 500 battery using Eco mode on a relatively flat paved trail and mild or no wind.
Good to know. My riding will mostly be casual exploring without time constraints or necessary accomplishments like grocery shopping, so I just have to keep an eye on the battery, trip better or whatever and be sure to turn back in time. Obviously some control panels offer more info than others and like you said "Many variables affect range besides the battery capacity ... wind, assist level, elevation changes, road/trail surface". A learning process - hopefully I'll learn in good time - and not the hard way.

It's likely I'll take the bike on my hitch carrier (heavy lifting) to trails. There are a number of parks fairly close that have bike trails. About 12 miles away is a very long rails to trails paved bike path. This area is not all that hilly. My 6th grade science teacher said it was important not to say hilly but gently rolling plains. No further comment.

Just for you to know @kneebenderbiker: Specialized e-bikes have a feature called Smart Control. You set the distance to be ridden, predicted elevation gain, and % of the battery left post ride (it could be 5 or 10% for instance). The system takes care to control the assistance so you could achieve your ride goal.

I have never be fond very much of SC but I admit it saved my important rides on several occasions where I had to start a longer ride with a partially discharged battery.

Just for you to know @kneebenderbiker: Specialized e-bikes have a feature called Smart Control. You set the distance to be ridden, predicted elevation gain, and % of the battery left post ride (it could be 5 or 10% for instance). The system takes care to control the assistance so you could achieve your ride goal.

I have never be fond very much of SC but I admit it saved my important rides on several occasions where I had to start a longer ride with a partially discharged battery.
thanks, I'll look into Smart Control - not something I was aware of.

My diamondback MTB was garbage. Wheels were too small for the tires. Tires kept falling off the rim or blowing tubes out the crack between the tire & the rim. Cables always stretching & requiring adjustment. Rear axle broke under my enormous 180 lb. I don't jump curbs or picnic tables. Shimano **** line axle for kiddies. Front wheel snapped sideways & threw me on my chin twice. After replacing the axle, I gave it away.
The shimano 8 speed axle in my yuba bodaboda has 10000 miles on it, no trouble. It's carried 160 lb me + 20 lb tools water & rain gear + 80 lb groceries or ag supplies in the rear panniers. Yubas are stretched, they are not made to put on a carrier on car, SUV, or bus.

Last edited:
Big thanks to everyone who has helped me with ideas, suggestions, comments and everything.
Time is running out for the current Evelo Resolution Sale; $400 off and 1/2 price extra battery set up if purchased together = $400 ends 1/31/23.
Still trying to decide but I think I want to order and try the Evelo Atlas. Not sure but I doubt they have sales in April or May when the weather might be better.
$800 savings could maybe purchase all the accessories I may want. 🤷‍♂️
This, even after all the encouragement/suggestions/recommendations/positive feedback on the Gazelle Ultimate C380+ HMB (even from a Gazelle naysayer).
It's interesting I haven't gotten much input about the Priority Current. Plus, not in hurry for the other bikes since there isn't a sale price ending.
I figure it can't hurt to at least try it. Of course, this isn't an ideal time weather wise, there was a snowy blizzard last night, temps this week as low as -19F, high looks like 7F. This won't change much by the time the bike arrives even if the shipping ends up very slow. But I would be able to see how I manage assembling the bike, try it for size, ride it a bit on a snow cover road, get a feeling for it. With the return shipping included in the price (I know they say "free" but we all know better) I'm very tempted.
Not aware of sales on Gazelle or Specialized but Priority is available 20% off at Costco Next (big reason it's on my list). Huge compared to Evelo's 8.5% off.
Maybe I'll check some bike shops in the other direction tomorrow - 1.5, 2 and 2.5 hour drive, mostly interstate.
Lift some bikes to check, again, to see how much weight I might manage to get a bike on my hitch rack. Ask about servicing D2C, get a feel for them in general.
I guess it can't hurt.

I would not like to spend my money on an e-bike from a company that is isolated from the customer and has no LBS base.
I do not like the way the second battery is mounted on the Evelo; decidedly old-school.
And I would not let a friend buy a Bafang :)
Not my money though.

The story of my full-power Vado 5.0:
  • A 2017 unsold model bought in 2019 with an excellent discount
  • 7 months later: obsolete electronics replaced by warranty with the 2020 system, free of charge
  • Autumn 2022, the motor gave up one year post warranty (3 years since purchase, over 8,000 miles ridden), the frame cracked (lifelong warranty)
  • January 2023, the e-bike rebuilt as the current Vado 6.0, no cost on the frame, new parts or labour. I had to pay for a new motor.
Meanwhile, no single issue with my Vado SL.

The name of the company is Specialized. I wonder what Evelo would do for you. Or, how you would repair your Atlas.

Last edited:
I would not like to spend my money on an e-bike from a company that is isolated from the customer and has no LBS base.
I do not like the way the second battery is mounted on the Evelo; decidedly old-school.
And I would not let a friend buy a Bafang :)
Not my money though.

The story of my full-power Vado 5.0:
  • A 2017 unsold model bought in 2019 with an excellent discount
  • 7 months later: obsolete electronics replaced by warranty with the 2020 system, free of charge
  • Autumn 2022, the motor gave up one year post warranty (3 years since purchase, over 8,000 miles ridden), the frame cracked (lifelong warranty)
  • January 2023, the e-bike rebuilt as the current Vado 6.0, no cost on the frame, new parts or labour. I had to pay for a new motor.
Meanwhile, no single issue with my Vado SL.

The name of the company is Specialized. I wonder what Evelo would do for you. Or, how you would repair your Atlas.
Why wonder? Read the warranty yourself, starting with the fact it's a 4 year.....

Stefan, thanks for you input.. You make very good points, one being LBS support which has been a point frequently mentioned by many, and I do believe it is very valuable. The part about LBS that hasn't been mentioned, is that not every LBS is necessarily going to be as helpful as the next. I have only 2 choices within 20 some miles, one (I didn't ask Mr Specialized) admitted they would not work on any D2C bikes What does that say about their customer service in general?

The next closest is over 90 miles. That guy did tell me he would help with some issues. Then there are lots of shops 2-3 hours drive from me with most of the major brands represented - exceptions I know of are Stromer and Ries & Muller - both more than I care to spent.

Of the two nearest, one sells Specialized which I know you really like. I don't have a good feeling about the owner of that shop, but I do intend to stop in again and see how it goes. Both Turbo Como IGH 4 and 5 would suit my needs. The SL do not have removable batteries so they are out.
The other LBS is where I've checked out the Gazelle Ultimate C380+, which I like except no throttle option and the battery upgrade options. The owner and sales guy I met were nice enough - beings they are salesman! They are helpful and friendly but only recently started carrying Gazelle due to lack of Trek availability. I was surprised they had a huge amount of bikes in their workroom (showroom too) - maybe Treks waiting for parts? Some, I was told, due to parts availability but the number surprised me. Guess I shouldn't read to much into that. Also, remember I can't test ride for at least a couple months.

Evelo, from everything I've read, has excellent customer service and will work with "LBS" to get anything taken care of. Admittedly, this isn't the same as buying local.
Another point, (in favor of your argument) that I thought of last night; most all of the posts on these forums praising their Atlas seemed to be from people who have more mechanical knowledge/experience that I do. Now this is where the 21 day free trial comes in - along with the long warranty. Knowing things can/will go wrong after 21 days, at least they have an excellent warranty. Twice as long as anything else I'm aware of. You can see first hand the value of a good warranty. Additionally, they've been in business selling D2C for over 10 years which would indicate, at least to me, that they can't be selling junk. IMHO Evelo is not a fly by night, here today gone tomorrow business. I like the way they have focused on a few different models instead of being all over the place. It's obvious that they have evolved instead of being stuck without improving and knowing they have a huge amount of competition they seem to be holding their own. Or maybe they're way over their heads under enormous debt and just can't quit. I don't know.

As far as Bafang, it is the largest ebike motor manufacturer, and the current M600 is apparently and evolution of previous iterations which Evelo somehow tweaks.(?)
I haven't seen many complaints about it and I doubt Evelo chose it randomly. Now, I am not huge so perhaps I don't need the potential power but from my readings it seems to be working just fine for the people with an Atlas that post about it. I have read about people having issues with Bosch as well as Brose so basically it's taking a chance anyway one looks at it.

At any rate, I'm committed to setting down my laptop today and traveling to a couple different bike shops to keep exploring my options. There are still a few days left for the Evelo sale so I still have time. These EBR forums have been tremendously helpful to me and I'm grateful for all the input.

For me, it was in my best interest to read it. Seems quite good to me.
As I think I mentioned, I'm not going to advise somebody to buy direct if they have no interest in being involved with the proper servicing of a bike. That's a disappointment looking for a place to happen. Properly motivated, with a few tools and a place to work, you might be surprised at the availability of GOOD instruction on about any part of any e-bike is to come by via YouTube and places like this one! A lot of people are learning/have learned to do thier own service work!

So there's that, and I believe a lot of Atlas purchasers are experienced e-bikes, having owned an e-bike or 2 previous, making them pretty educated buyers.

Point being, I can certainly understand the hesitancy on your part.

Do you have an REI outlet near you? They sell e-bikes and generally agree to work on bikes they didn't sell. -Al

What about Velofix? They're a national mobile bike repair franchise that will allow drop shipping to their location for assembly, deliver it to you, then service the bike whenever you like. They're also certified for warranty work by many different manfs. Not available in all areas, but might be an option for you.

As I think I mentioned, I'm not going to advise somebody to buy direct if they have no interest in being involved with the proper servicing of a bike. That's a disappointment looking for a place to happen. Properly motivated, with a few tools and a place to work, you might be surprised at the availability of GOOD instruction on about any part of any e-bike is to come by via YouTube and places like this one! A lot of people are learning/have learned to do thier own service work!

So there's that, and I believe a lot of Atlas purchasers are experienced e-bikes, having owned an e-bike or 2 previous, making them pretty educated buyers.

Point being, I can certainly understand the hesitancy on your part.

Do you have an REI outlet near you? They sell e-bikes and generally agree to work on bikes they didn't sell. -Al

What about Velofix? They're a national mobile bike repair franchise that will allow drop shipping to their location for assembly, deliver it to you, then service the bike whenever you like. They're also certified for warranty work by many different manfs. Not available in all areas, but might be an option for you.
Al, again, very good points. Appreciate it. I'd love to learn more about bike maintenance - since I was a kid I loved to take things apart and fiddle with them. I've since learned the importance of being able to re-assemble what I've taken apart.

Luckily, other than cleaning/lubing the chains on my bikes, changing the position of handlebars/seats, etc. I haven't needed to do anything. That may not be the case with an ebike.
I had relatively short commutes when I was working and didn't go far - except the one time I crossed the Golden Gate bridge and attempted to ride the Marin Headlands. After that, every visit to the headlands was on my BMW motorcycle - which I also never worked on.

Hadn't heard of Velofix. I'll look into it. There is a mobile bike service I do know of but I'm out of their range. I could travel the 1 hour to get in range. REI is about 2.5 hour drive. I'd get a bike at REI in a hot minute if they had what I want. I did call and ask about work on D2C bikes but after being passed around to 3 people I decide I'd have to go in. I plan to visit some more shops today to "inquire". Thanks again.

Back