Color Configurator Hydra - Draft - Please provide feedback

When well done it looks great

I had asked Pushkar if the molding was clean enough to look good clear coated and he said yes.
It would be nice to see one done though :)

I had asked Pushkar if the molding was clean enough to look good clear coated and he said yes.
It would be nice to see one done though :)
I thought he had said that the kind of CF he's using doesn't have those nice CF weaves that'll look good clear coated. I would be happy to hear that I've remembered incorrectly. And, yes, please have one sample to help us decide. 🙏

I think the confusion is what CF we are using.
Ours is UD Matte fiber - (https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/the-3k-12k-ud-carbon-fiber-weave-for-rim-and-frame.html) versus the 3k or 12k weave. Even though anecdotally UD Matte is considered stronger, IMO the difference is not materially large.

If you want the 3k matte finish, we have 2 options
1. We can make a custom order with that weave. There is a longer lead time for the raw materials but can be done. I have to check if wholesale prices are similar - more an issue of time and MOQ than anything else tbh.
2. We can hydro paint it (I believe it is called hydro dip) - that makes it easier to put pretty much anything on it. Most motorcycle parts with fancy graphics are done with this hydro dipping thing as a reference. This will be the cost of the paint as well - so i can get a number if that is needed.

Oh apologies for the confusion
1. We cannot clear coat the raw UD Matte frame - since it has too many imperfections.
2. However we can clear coat on top of a base color ( to hide the imperfections). Hence clear coat becomes a 2 color option. The 3K weave is much better though. but the raw material pricing increase will probably offset the savings from painting

Oh.. as an aside - we finally have the painted frame on Helios.
IMG_0380.png
IMG_0377.png

However we can clear coat on top of a base color ( to hide the imperfections). Hence clear coat becomes a 2 color option.
Would you provide in the founders subforum the cost of the 2-color option (w/o decals) for founders? Thanks, Pushkar.

BTW, the painted Helios looks sick! 🥰

I am glad we cleared that up then.
No clear coat for carbon fiber look, only opaque coverage :)

May I suggest that one of the wattwagons letterings be changed to read helios instead?

1. We cannot clear coat the raw UD Matte frame - since it has too many imperfections.
2. However we can clear coat on top of a base color ( to hide the imperfections). Hence clear coat becomes a 2 color option. The 3K weave is much better though. but the raw material pricing increase will probably offset the savings from painting

View attachment 78203View attachment 78204
W O W !

This one is paint (just to show how paint can look). I am negotiating a price if we do clear coat on all our bikes.

Seems to be a popular option, and it also keeps the color intact for longer.

View attachment 78203View attachment 78204
Geeez that's a nice paint job. But if it was my bike I'd have to name it Pumpkin. 🤣

This one is paint (just to show how paint can look). I am negotiating a price if we do clear coat on all our bikes.

Seems to be a popular option, and it also keeps the color intact for longer.
Can the Cerakote be clear coated?

@pushkar, I find the Cerakote finishes lack the glossy or shinny look that I prefer.
My question is would clear coating the Cerakote finish give it that glossy look similar to the painted frame you just posted?
I really like the look of your painted frame (paint and clear coat?). Can you tell me how much it would cost (with just one color) to replicate?

Back