Color Configurator Hydra - Draft - Please provide feedback

Go to Cerakote's site https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating
Pick a color on the color chart shown on the left side of the page (i.e. yellow)
Note that at the bottom of each shown yellow color is an "order free swatch" click on it.
It will show up in your cart as a $0 charge. There is a shipping fee. I below you are able to order 5 or 6 free samples.

We can do Prismatic. The red fade to black is prismatic colors. However the cost is around $150 or so more for equivalent stuff. Cerakote can take slightly rougher surface - it adds to the looks. With paint, that frame has to be sanded down 2 times (atleast) before it will show well on paint.

Still working on the sanding part. We are trying to get a color room on our side - that appears to be a better way tto deal with this.. just sand down everythign in bulk and paint or cerakote as needed.

We can do Prismatic. The red fade to black is prismatic colors. However the cost is around $150 or so more for equivalent stuff. Cerakote can take slightly rougher surface - it adds to the looks. With paint, that frame has to be sanded down 2 times (atleast) before it will show well on paint.

Still working on the sanding part. We are trying to get a color room on our side - that appears to be a better way tto deal with this.. just sand down everythign in bulk and paint or cerakote as needed.
I’ll stick with my Midnight Bronze but its cool that there are so many colors to choose from. With a combination of the two you could come up with some pretty wild and unique paint schemes.

I received some more swatches from Cerakote this morning. I decided to explore the reds and some other warm colors.

Reds.jpg

Left to right:
Stoplight Red C-143
USMC Red H-167
Ruby Red H-306
Firehouse Red H-216
Habanero Red H-318
Crimson H-221

Stoplight and USMC are very red - the photo shows some lightening from glare. The Firehouse and Habanero are almost identical.

Warm-Colors.jpg

Hunter Orange H-128
Hi-Vis Orange H-346
Corvette Yellow H-144
Sunflower H-317
Tequila Sunrise H-309
Copper Suede H-310
Copper H-347

Here, the Hunter Orange and the Hi-Vis Orange actually look very alike - the glare lightens the first one. The Hi-Vis is just slightly darker, but as you can see it really stands out because of its slightly different sheen. The Sunflower has a fair amount of green. And Tequila Sunrise looks far better in person than either of the two copper colors.

I'm now thinking Stoplight Red or Tequila Sunrise.

I think the configurator should also include the classics like black (mat and gloss), white...
I only see colors so far.
A black outside with deep red (or yellow) inside would look nice

Is a gloss finish even possible with Cerakote application?
Edit: So far the only coating I've come across that has a gloss finish is the black.

Cerakote sells a clear gloss that can be applied over other colors. This photo, for example, is the Crimson (actually a darker red) with the gloss over it.

cerakoted-candy-red-tactical-rifle-in-mc-160-and-h-221.jpg

Note that the different coatings series have different characteristics. Most of the colors I posted are H series. This is an oven cure formulation and Cerakote ranks its properties (on a 1-5 scale) thusly:

Corrosion resistance 5
Durability/hardness 5
UV stability 3
Chemical resistance 5
Thermal stability 5

The C series, such as Stoplight Red, is rated:

Corrosion resistance 3
Durability/hardness 4
UV stability 5
Chemical resistance 5
Thermal stability 5

So... slightly less hard but with better UV resistance (so, the red won't fade as quickly). The H series needs an oven, while the C series is plain air-cure.

For the clear coat, you want the MC-160 High Gloss Ceramic Clear, not the H-300 High Gloss Armor Clear, which is not recommended for long-term outdoor use, or the MC-156 High Gloss Ceramic Clear, which is designed for very thin-film application where clearance is an issue.

Has anyone thought of just clear over the Carbon. I wonder how clean the Carbon layup is? Otherwise I was thinking just white or Tequila Sunrise for visibility on the road or satin black and hi vis orange inside to look cool.
gary

I know that different carbon layups have a different color, but just as an example of a carbon frame with just a clear coat (one of my road bikes that I sold last year).
It's hard to tell from this photo, but up close the carbon weave was easy to see.

bkXE58s.jpg

I received some more swatches from Cerakote this morning. I decided to explore the reds and some other warm colors.

Reds.jpg

Left to right:
Stoplight Red C-143
USMC Red H-167
Ruby Red H-306
Firehouse Red H-216
Habanero Red H-318
Crimson H-221

Stoplight and USMC are very red - the photo shows some lightening from glare. The Firehouse and Habanero are almost identical.

Warm-Colors.jpg

Hunter Orange H-128
Hi-Vis Orange H-346
Corvette Yellow H-144
Sunflower H-317
Tequila Sunrise H-309
Copper Suede H-310
Copper H-347

Here, the Hunter Orange and the Hi-Vis Orange actually look very alike - the glare lightens the first one. The Hi-Vis is just slightly darker, but as you can see it really stands out because of its slightly different sheen. The Sunflower has a fair amount of green. And Tequila Sunrise looks far better in person than either of the two copper colors.

I'm now thinking Stoplight Red or Tequila Sunrise.

Originally, I really liked the Stop Light Red, but was put off by the non-glossy finish. I would still like to go with that color, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money on the clear coat to give the coating that glossy look.

Has anyone thought of just clear over the Carbon. I wonder how clean the Carbon layup is? Otherwise I was thinking just white or Tequila Sunrise for visibility on the road or satin black and hi vis orange inside to look cool.
gary
I brought that up a while back and Pushkar confirm it was possible but did ask to order with two color option as the clear coats require a two step process.
I do think that will be a great option, Carbon fiber makes for a great texture, and you can find color vinyl with the same texture to make decals.

Laying up carbon for fully clear coating is one thing. Laying up carbon to be painted is another. It ain't like all those little bends and shapes can be made to look like a larger part with mostly just one curve or larger semi spherical shapes. Think about laying up carbon at the intersection of tubular parts.

Back