Body Float Suspension Seat Post Thoughts

The small elastomer probably prevents hard bottoming out. Do not try and tighten the top side screw, mine was held in place with some silicone, now some electrical tape does that job. -S

The small red elastomers in the top spring guide are there for softening the bottom-out...but can actually be removed to increase travel range. I prefer to ride with no bottom out elastomers. If you are bottoming out the system often you can do a few things:
1 - remove the elastomers to increase travel range. This will give a more 'bottomless' feel, but will be firmer when you do bottom out.
2 - add pre-load which increases spring tension and reduces travel range. This will provide a firmer feel with less travel both above and below your neutral.
3 - Go with the next firmer spring combo - this will increase your travel at the cost of sensitivity.
4 - Remember that the BodyFloat is designed as a high-frequency isolator, NOT a suspension system to be running over everything on. If you feel the bottom, you probably should have adjusted your weight and come out of the saddle and used your legs a bit more.

Something to keep in mind: The BodyFloat is, in essence, the first true bike motor mount. It attaches a variable output motor (you) to a variable chassis (your bike). We are all different motors, and our bikes vary greatly. BodyFloat provides the proper stable connection for you to build upon (this is the foundation that you build under any house, crappy foundation = crappy house) and then lets you activate the bodies amazing damping capacity to create any feel you desire.

The small elastomer probably prevents hard bottoming out. Do not try and tighten the top side screw, mine was held in place with some silicone, now some electrical tape does that job. -S
Did you strip one of the screws? Let's see if we can get that fixed. If it's the top links, a single bolt will hold it together, but we do, of course, recommend both. The side bolts only need about 3nm of torque.

Did you strip one of the screws? Let's see if we can get that fixed. If it's the top links, a single bolt will hold it together, but we do, of course, recommend both. The side bolts only need about 3nm of torque.
It seems to be fine, I was just checking for loose parts after a few hundred miles of use and it felt loose at the time, so I backed it out and noticed the silicone, never really felt it thread into the opposite side but 3nm is not much to 'feel'. Thanks for your concern. -S

Seems a "little" overpriced. :)
I bet there are lower cost solutions that work as well.
Steve,
There are plenty of lower priced Suspension Seatposts out there, and there always will be, but none will work as well due to the simple physics that we are tapping into. BodyFloat Isolation Seatpost isolates and connects the masses of both the bike and rider in a way unlike anything on the market, and is proving to be vastly more effective, tunable and comfortable than any other option or product. It is akin to a motor-mount that attaches a variable motor (you) to a variable chassis (your bike). Is it worth the price? That's a subjective answer. Your saddle-to-butt connection point is, arguably, the most important connection point on the bike. We want you to find the right saddle that fits your unique anatomy and then stay connected to the bike so you can use your hands, feet and body more effectively and improve your riding experience. BodyFloat may look like other systems, but like your bed mattress upon which you spend a great deal of your life...looks can be deceiving and is usually worth the cost difference to get a good mattress. We welcome you to compare BodyFloat with anything else out there. I'd recommend trying the Thud buster or Suntour or CRG or Ergon. Even on top of a full suspension bike, or Fat Tire, or a svelte Road bike, BodyFloat will enhance whatever frame it resides upon and provide improvements to whatever motor it sits under. Thanks for the interest.

Steve,
There are plenty of lower priced Suspension Seatposts out there, and there always will be, but none will work as well due to the simple physics that we are tapping into. BodyFloat Isolation Seatpost isolates and connects the masses of both the bike and rider in a way unlike anything on the market, and is proving to be vastly more effective, tunable and comfortable than any other option or product. It is akin to a motor-mount that attaches a variable motor (you) to a variable chassis (your bike). Is it worth the price? That's a subjective answer. Your saddle-to-butt connection point is, arguably, the most important connection point on the bike. We want you to find the right saddle that fits your unique anatomy and then stay connected to the bike so you can use your hands, feet and body more effectively and improve your riding experience. BodyFloat may look like other systems, but like your bed mattress upon which you spend a great deal of your life...looks can be deceiving and is usually worth the cost difference to get a good mattress. We welcome you to compare BodyFloat with anything else out there. I'd recommend trying the Thud buster or Suntour or CRG or Ergon. Even on top of a full suspension bike, or Fat Tire, or a svelte Road bike, BodyFloat will enhance whatever frame it resides upon and provide improvements to whatever motor it sits under. Thanks for the interest.

I didn't read your whole sales pitch there, but you are welcome for my interest!

I didn't read your whole sales pitch...
I did and I already own one! Your postulations (here and elsewhere) make it seem as if you suspect everyone is trying to sell you something or that they have ulterior motives. Did you work in auto sales in another life? BTW - The BodyFloat is something most people have to experience to understand, it's so much more than a seatpost spring. -S

Funny that you mention auto sales, others have mentioned how it's a wild west atmosphere in the e-bike world right now. Sometimes it does feel a bit like a used car lot. Some ambitious salesman are out here pushing their products... their right, of course.

Someone told me just the other day, on this board, that people tend to defend what they've already bought. No need to defend it, I just detected a sales pitch and pointed it out.

I also mute TV commercials during those rare times that I watch.

In fact, that's the analogy I'm looking for, this thread feels like an infomercial! :)

Just consider my pointing it out to be a public service!

Shea, Steve and others...we're excited to share with you all what we've learned, and continue to learn, through developing this product. We've heard the negative banter of the car salesman, selling snake oil, etc...we do hear you and also have thick skins as we are passionate about sharing what we're experiencing. We want to help make people aware that unique options are out there (especially in the expanding e-bike 'wild west' market) and the BodyFloat is just one of those options. Ask me some pointed questions of why this thing works differently and I'd be happy to oblige with sharing what I'm learning every day by using, testing and hearing feedback about this thing. Take it or leave it...it might make you wiser as you make your decisions. Not trying for a sales pitch here...but a couple of hundred thousand miles under my butt on two wheels has taught me a few things about the physiology, and psychology, of riding...and this process has strengthened my mission to continue helping people of all abilities enjoy cycling, and life, a lot more. Cheers.

Patrick
I just installed by new Body Float on my Raleigh Trace EXC, 2 orange springs for a big guy, 260lb. First I added my old somewhat padded saddle and took a short ride. The BF was not yet dialed in and was set at almost 0 compression but I felt like I was bottoming out in the padding on the saddle and it was little bouncy. I switched to the much firmer stock bike saddle , and adjusted the compression bolt until the BF no longer lifted when I raised my self off the seat (or conversely did not lower when I sat on the seat) to about a 4 setting. That seemed a little too firm so as per the directions (who reads directions anymore, lol) I dialed the compression bolt back about 2 turns and it feels pretty good after a very short ride even with the firm saddle. Will take a long ride tomorrow and try to dial it in. Any further suggestions on adjustments or what I should be looking for in the feel of the BF would be appreciated. At this point I have not had that "oh wow" moment but maybe I was expecting it too much and the post it doing what it is supposed to. I placed my old saddle on the original post and once I get the BF set correctly I can switch back and forth and compare the feel. I do mostly light off road packed and paved trail riding, so maybe this is not challenging enough for the BF to feel a huge difference in the ride characteristics.
P.S. I have not tested the Thudbuster or Suntour suspension post so I have nothing to compare the BF to except my old style in line suspension post which was actually OK for my needs.

Patrick
I just installed by new Body Float on my Raleigh Trace EXC, 2 orange springs for a big guy, 260lb. First I added my old somewhat padded saddle and took a short ride. The BF was not yet dialed in and was set at almost 0 compression but I felt like I was bottoming out in the padding on the saddle and it was little bouncy. I switched to the much firmer stock bike saddle , and adjusted the compression bolt until the BF no longer lifted when I raised my self off the seat (or conversely did not lower when I sat on the seat) to about a 4 setting. That seemed a little too firm so as per the directions (who reads directions anymore, lol) I dialed the compression bolt back about 2 turns and it feels pretty good after a very short ride even with the firm saddle. Will take a long ride tomorrow and try to dial it in. Any further suggestions on adjustments or what I should be looking for in the feel of the BF would be appreciated. At this point I have not had that "oh wow" moment but maybe I was expecting it too much and the post it doing what it is supposed to. I placed my old saddle on the original post and once I get the BF set correctly I can switch back and forth and compare the feel. I do mostly light off road packed and paved trail riding, so maybe this is not challenging enough for the BF to feel a huge difference in the ride characteristics.
P.S. I have not tested the Thudbuster or Suntour suspension post so I have nothing to compare the BF to except my old style in line suspension post which was actually OK for my needs.

---

Mike,
What you've described is expected. With no-preload, full movement of your mass will cause the system to bottom out at 260 lbs. Think of it this way, once a mass is in motion, it tends to stay in motion so as you dialed the pre-load down, you got less movement and travel of your mass. So we want to control that movement. with both the BodyFloat AND via your riding style. At 260, you are near the top of our recommended weight scale. The Orange/Orange springs will provide you with an 'A' feel as per our chart. Regarding getting your post set to neutral, compressing a O/O to 4 will provide very little, if no, active range but should stabilize your mass. Backing off those 2 turns into 'Cadillac' mode should give you some reprieve but I think you can get more with some tricks.

It sounds like you're a relatively upright rider and therefor riding with more percentage of mass in the saddle. I'd recommend removing one of the upper elastomers. this will give you a bit more free travel, the trade off is that that bottom out will be more pronounced when you hit bigger features. The goal here is to find the right combo of travel and still support your weight. The bounce you mentioned should be eliminated by removing the elastomers and working on smoothing your pedal stroke. Again, with a higher mass, the system is going to react to your mass more. Couple of comps for you: we have a local boy who's 265 and rides an Orange over Black on a road bike. His stroke is smooth and has plenty of travel for his riding style and desire on his road bike, pre-load is about a 2. An industry Gravel-Grinder reviewer is 240 and rides a Orange over Black and swears by it. I've also put a 350 lb guy on board and he naturally bottomed out the system (Orange/Orange) when just sitting, but as he engaged the pedals he felt the system offering him plenty of support...and suspension. So generally, the lighter the spring rate the better the isolation and control you'll achieve. Be conscience of both your pedal stroke and adjusting slightly as you roll over features that need attention (like speed bumps or holes in the road), but you should be able to maintain your output through a much more broader range of terrain surface features. When climbing you should really be able to take advantage of the system and use your mass to your advantage.

So remove those upper elastomers (with the post on your bike, and saddle on, remove all pre-load, remove both lower side links by taking out the small side bolts and gently prying off the links, the system will cantilever forward and carefully remove the upper spring guide, remove the elastomers and put it all back in place. Those side bolts only get 3nm of torque). When you set your neutral, practice doing this while riding and using the feel rather than just sitting on saddle stationary. Fine tune the pre-load to achieve a firm feel at your regular output and position. Goal here is to build a solid foundation. Then dial in your saddle height. From there back off the pre-load to your desired feel. It's important to build the proper foundation for your mass and riding style, then create the feel you desire.

Regarding your saddle selection, most riders have gravitated towards firmer saddles with better results on the BodyFloat. You shouldn't need a cushy saddle that often makes matters worse by increasing surface tissue contact. Another option that is to use a Brooks or other leather saddle. The flex of the leather provides a nice compliment to the system. Hope this helps...call us directly and I'm happy to assist more.

What city are you located in ? just in case it is near by or on a trip, I would love to get mine tweaked to perfection! i think at 210 my black ovrer orange may be too tight?

What city are you located in ? just in case it is near by or on a trip, I would love to get mine tweaked to perfection! i think at 210 my black ovrer orange may be too tight?

We are in Bellingham, WA...between Seattle and Vancouver BC. Please stop by for a visit. We also have reps in No and So California. Where are you located? and we have a few other people out and about that have some good tuning skills and we're looking for more.

Regarding your tune...check out the tech card and go through the Advanced Tuning process to get better dialed. Again, the key is building the right foundation under you to support the type of rider that you are. From there, you can play with the feel. If you have nice pedal stroke you could go with a Black/Black spring and achieve an even more subtle feel.

I am in N VA on the east coast..bad pedal stroke but vastly improved w/new post and able to get correct angle. Need to think about the Brooks saddle, it is not intuitive to me that it would be more comfy but also not ignoring almost everybody. I have a Stromer ST1 w/suspension fork and new soft seat and like to ride 50-75 miles at a time on paved path/roads. I am 60 w/no butt just bone even being 210.

Hope this info is on your website , lost instructrions

I have a Body Float on my Evo Jet and I love it. The bike is much more comfortable to ride. For whatever reason (I don't understand), the bike also handles better - I take turns with more confidence. I carried the allen wrench with me and made adjustments on the road (when I was stopped) until I got it where I wanted it.

Thanks Patrick
I just ordered a Brooks B17 S Aged saddle (God help me) and can't wait to try out the combination with your extensive recommendations. So far I have no problems with the included Diamondback saddle but I know the Brooks saddle will last for ever and only get more comfortable with time. Once I find my perfect setting on the BF I know that I will have years of enjoyable riding. Thanks again.
Mike from Towson, Md

Last edited:
Back