Electrek & Micah Toll - Can They Be Trusted?

What do I think?
... I hope you don't forget the free ebike accessories that you and Micah promised me for bumping your thread. 🙃
That and that I'd need to suffer an aneurism and have my pecker permanently drop before I'd be bored enough to consider your content interesting.
Oh, man! I haven't heard a solid joke like that since I got out of the military :p hahaha I appreciate your input though! I honestly appreciate the feedback as this is the first one of these types of videos I have done. Do you have any suggestions to make them more interesting? I normally stick to the reviews and helping people out in the comments, but thought I'd try my hand at something a bit more "produced". My niche is Ebikes, and has been since I started a few years ago, so not sure I can turn this tide around at this point but would love to improve in any case.

Also, being a fan of yours for years, it's fun to have a convo!

EBR and Electrek are the only 2 ebike sites I follow. If I want exploring abandoned places, Proper People. Electric kick scooter info, ESG. When not catching up I'm out riding, exploring my neighborhood and surrounding areas. There are so many online sites to follow that it makes me miss old school magazines. Come to think about it, I subscribe to Decibel for my music and Electric Bike Action.
Hey sc00ter! I might have missed out on the magazine phase, so I don't have much experience there, but am a big fan of analog in general! Is Electric Bike Action a magazine? I'd love to check that out sometime if that's the case.

Current issue. I pass them on to a coworker when done reading them.

Attachments

• 20220914_163935.jpg
    20220914_163935.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 141
Current issue. I pass them on to a coworker when done reading them.
Seriel 1 mountain bike???? Get outta here! I hadn't seen that. I wonder how good it really is...I always liked the look of their other Ebikes. A bit expensive for what you get, imo, but the aesthetic was always on point.

Good ole Mikey! Glad he's staying busy with the Electrek folks :) What is the product that Micah sells? his e-books? And Kyle is an interesing creator in the space. I've always thought he has walked the line pretty well between business owner, and content producer. Learned alot from watching his technical videos for sure.
Micah is like the rest He sells His opinion and there is something else going on, you do not travel between the states and Isreal for free, People have to understand thats how Kyle makes money, have noticed a few things that will probably trip Him up in the future, He is not your chum,Propel bikes a hard sell for products a lot of us cannot afford, the camera face is a bit different than the true personality in a lot of these folks, just saying,. do not expect many personal replies. in the end these are plain Folks trying to make a go of it.

No problem with Micah.... Though some of his early battery build videos would be better off deleted
But this clown comes off as a niche seeking wannabe.
I'm sorry but just because you post a lot and have a following of internet simpletons doesn't make you relevant to me. e.g. Kardashian
Yup.

Step1 - start making youtube videos about something random
Step2 - start talking about the people that make good videos about the random thing you talk about
Step3 - hope you get enough views so that the person that you are talking about notices you
Step4 - hope that person talks about you in their videos, giving you some youtube cred
Step5 - repeat step2-4 ad nauseum until ad revenues something something profit?

Micah is like the rest He sells His opinion and there is something else going on, you do not travel between the states and Isreal for free, People have to understand thats how Kyle makes money, have noticed a few things that will probably trip Him up in the future, He is not your chum,Propel bikes a hard sell for products a lot of us cannot afford, the camera face is a bit different than the true personality in a lot of these folks, just saying,. do not expect many personal replies. in the end these are plain Folks trying to make a go of it.
As to the personal replies, I've seen that with some of the channels like Electric Bike Report (the new one, not Pete's version of it). I've seen some comments on my video where people have said they don't answer too many comments (which I investigated, and I've seen some responses, but definitely not every comment). I'd much rather have conversations with people about something I like, and hopefully, point them in the right direction to get a bike that fits their budget, and needs, and has a team that can support them. But obviously that is not most reviewers intentions :p

Yup.

Step1 - start making youtube videos about something random
Step2 - start talking about the people that make good videos about the random thing you talk about
Step3 - hope you get enough views so that the person that you are talking about notices you
Step4 - hope that person talks about you in their videos, giving you some youtube cred
Step5 - repeat step2-4 ad nauseum until ad revenues something something profit?
I don't know if this applies to me specifically, but I do see that with a lot of creators. It would be nice to get some more genuine folks on the ole YouTube, but seems like a lot of it isn't that. I like to watch camera gear reviews, and such, so I'm a big fan of Gerald Undone if anyone is familiar. He's super honest and calls out companies on where they fall short. That's something I really appreciate when it comes to the gear I want to buy, so I totally see how there's not a lot of that in the Ebike Review game.

Just to reiterate as to why I think this doesn't apply to me: I've been in this space for 5 years, worked at EBR (this site) for 3 of those years, and have been putting out Ebike-related content for 3 of those years as well. So, random? no. just starting out? no. I don't claim to be an expert, just a dude who has some experience in the space and likes making videos about bikes. I'm blessed that brands want to pay me to do it, but the value that I provide with a review is third-party verification. If viewers suspected me of not being authentic and bipartisan, then the value I provide to brands is gone, so no more fun videos for me. Now this particular video is different, as I said, it's the first one I did in this format, and it is much more "youtubey" with the thumbnail, title, etc, I get it. But the content is just me exploring the details that I could find out about Electrek and Micah at Electrek (Micah at Ebikeschool.com would be a different video) and how they run their review business.

And if I wanted to talk to Micah, I'd just give him a call lol

I don't know if this applies to me specifically, but I do see that with a lot of creators. It would be nice to get some more genuine folks on the ole YouTube, but seems like a lot of it isn't that. I like to watch camera gear reviews, and such, so I'm a big fan of Gerald Undone if anyone is familiar. He's super honest and calls out companies on where they fall short. That's something I really appreciate when it comes to the gear I want to buy, so I totally see how there's not a lot of that in the Ebike Review game.

Just to reiterate as to why I think this doesn't apply to me: I've been in this space for 5 years, worked at EBR (this site) for 3 of those years, and have been putting out Ebike-related content for 3 of those years as well. So, random? no. just starting out? no. I don't claim to be an expert, just a dude who has some experience in the space and likes making videos about bikes. I'm blessed that brands want to pay me to do it, but the value that I provide with a review is third-party verification. If viewers suspected me of not being authentic and bipartisan, then the value I provide to brands is gone, so no more fun videos for me. Now this particular video is different, as I said, it's the first one I did in this format, and it is much more "youtubey" with the thumbnail, title, etc, I get it. But the content is just me exploring the details that I could find out about Electrek and Micah at Electrek (Micah at Ebikeschool.com would be a different video) and how they run their review business.

And if I wanted to talk to Micah, I'd just give him a c
I see,actually, I have had a reply or two from some of the greats( Kyle for instance) glad this site is not like Quora" used to be a nice site until- the robot or whatever will spit sincere good queries back at you and allow such garbage as" I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, when will I get hooked?" inane things like that.

I see,actually, I have had a reply or two from some of the greats( Kyle for instance) glad this site is not like Quora" used to be a nice site until- the robot or whatever will spit sincere good queries back at you and allow such garbage as" I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, when will I get hooked?" inane things like that.
That's how I feel when I get a response from Court :p I also totally get what you mean about Quora! I used to find out tons of cool things through some of the threads I followed over there. Now all I get is things like "My husband is leaving me for our step-daughter. Do I get to keep the house?" weird things like that!

That's how I feel when I get a response from Court :p I also totally get what you mean about Quora! I used to find out tons of cool things through some of the threads I followed over there. Now all I get is things like "My husband is leaving me for our step-daughter. Do I get to keep the house?" weird things like that!
I hope this forum never degenerates into something like that, "Plan B" "Car Talk" a lot of the others become "owned" by Trolls and lonely People and some the specific sites go down hill after a while, this is the only site I frequent daily as a rule, sometimes I cannot stand to let some of the snarky, know it all posts by some trolls with an agenda, the facts and a thoughtful answer usually quiets them down.I try to be respectful to "Trolls" and snarky People, but sometimes have to meet the challenge, the worst part is when trolls start recycling unadulterated BS( A recycled lie is still a lie) thanks for your indugence.

I hope this forum never degenerates into something like that, "Plan B" "Car Talk" a lot of the others become "owned" by Trolls and lonely People and some the specific sites go down hill after a while, this is the only site I frequent daily as a rule, sometimes I cannot stand to let some of the snarky, know it all posts by some trolls with an agenda, the facts and a thoughtful answer usually quiets them down.I try to be respectful to "Trolls" and snarky People, but sometimes have to meet the challenge, the worst part is when trolls start recycling unadulterated BS( A recycled lie is still a lie) thanks for your indugence.
Well, I appreciate you keeping an eye on this place :) Let's keep it less agenda, more Ebike stuff

Back