Electrek & Micah Toll - Can They Be Trusted?

Ennovation

Region
USA
I think Micah Toll CAN be trusted, and let me tell you why.

Originally, I was just going to post the video but ended up having so many notes and additional things to discuss that I decided it had its place here in the forums as well. I was also shooting for a four-minute video...and well you see how that turned out. Below is the outline for the episode and some additional tidbits I didn't necessarily discuss in the review.

MICAH TOLL
Micah Toll is a name we've all heard in the Ebike space and he has seen pretty much every Ebike that has been produced. He is an accomplished author, engineer, and Youtube personality that isn't afraid to say when something is not up to par with industry standards. The short format of his Electrek reviews can lend itself to coming across as a bit promotional, but at the end of the day, Micah does a great job of letting us know when things are his own preference or opinion. This video series is not meant to poke holes in anyone's review game, in-fact as I watch footage from Micah and other reviewers I find that the Ebike space is full of honest, good-meaning people who love electric bikes and probably feel grateful that they get to do this as a living, or in most cases as a side job. If you'd like to see more on Micah, he will be back again shortly when we cover https://www.ebikeschool.com/

WHO ARE THEY?
Micah Toll - Electrek (he also creates content for EbikeSchool.com, but that needs to be its own video, as there are a ton of differences between the two) The Electrek network is a large group of channels/blogs/websites that are comprised of 9to5Mac, 9to5Google, and 9to5Toys, Electrek, DroneDJ, and SpaceExplored. Electrek covers EV-related items, like Tesla, Solar power, but we're going to focus on the Ebike section, which is Micah's Department. He is also a published author and mechanical engineer, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Ebikes.

WHAT STYLE?
Talking head intro, Broll for most of the video with voiceover, and a talking head outro.

WHAT TYPE OF REVIEW?
More promotional, due to the somewhat sensationalized language. Not an Ad, by any means, but not always cold hard facts. The reviews are also shorter, so there isn't necessarily enough time to take a deep dive. They have/had about 170K subscribers on YouTube, so a decent base for companies considering getting some 3rd party reviews. They also have website traffic, which adds to the number of eyeballs these reviews can get.

HOW DO THEY MAKE MONEY?
It's unclear if they get paid by the brands to do the reviews, and since there are other methods for them to make money, they don't really have to. They do make money from YouTube Ads, and according to some online calculators, they probably make anywhere from $2,500 - $4,000 on ad revenue alone. They also utilize affiliate links (link to their page about that here) They go through Amazon for the most part, but also have a few affiliate links on the bikes they review, so they can receive a kickback from any sales that come through the review. This doesn't mean that their opinion is necessarily affected, tons of YouTubers use this to support their channel, and in most cases, they get to offer their community a discount if they use their code or links.

HOW MUCH OPINION?
6-7ish - Mostly due to the actual opinions (which are usually stated before or after) and sometimes the sensationalist language can lead to an opinion pretty easily.

DO THEY HAVE A TEAM?
Do they have a team...that's a hard question to answer without talking to Micah about their exact process. My guess is he does all of the filming and voice-over himself. Does he have an editor? Maybe. He also creates content for EbikeSchool.com, so it would appear he's capable of doing his own editing. So, is he a one-man band? Probably!

WHAT EQUIPMENT?
He has his exact list of equipment in all of his videos. So a gear list can be found in the description of any review. He uses GoPro, 360cams, and a DSLR.

WHAT OTHER ASSOCIATIONS?
9to5Mac, 9to5Google, and 9to5Toys, Electrek, DroneDJ, and SpaceExplored.

MY PERSONAL OPINION
Micah knows what he's talking about. He has seen pretty much every electric bike under the sun and has experienced everything the EV industry has to offer. His perspective may be diluted due to the nature of the reviews, short time, and exciting verbiage, but at the end of the day I think he makes some catchy videos and gives people a taste of the new Ebikes/scooters/EVs on the market, and that's pretty dope! Would I suggest Electrek videos to customers who are trying to find more info on an Ebike purchase? Probably not. Would I send them to EbikeSchool.com to get some general Ebike knowledge to help them make a decision on a purchase? Well, you'll have to wait till we cover that in another video.

What a crock of s*it.
Like I (we) need the opinion of another youtube wannabe.
"Wannabe"? I don't know if I fall into that category, since I've been doing this for several years, but I do appreciate you stopping by and adding to this thread, my friend :)

I was thinking about doing Electrified Reviews next, what do you think about them?

Micah is a personal friend. A good heart and supporter of all things eBike. Doing youtube videos and helping eBikers before you pissy grumps new what an eBike was. Jeebus.
I've always loved his stuff! I'm hoping to connect with him and maybe do a podcast where we can chat about Ebike stuff :) Seems like the kind of friend that would drop what he's doing to help you move without asking :p

Micah is like , Mikey G- they both have a product to sell( a bit like Kyle C)
Good ole Mikey! Glad he's staying busy with the Electrek folks :) What is the product that Micah sells? his e-books? And Kyle is an interesing creator in the space. I've always thought he has walked the line pretty well between business owner, and content producer. Learned alot from watching his technical videos for sure.

As with any review or reviewer, if any sort of compensation or kickback is involved the review the review can't be trusted. I have seen a few "reviews" on electrek where it appeared some form of compensation (direct or indirect) prevented the reviewer (whether it was mikey, micah, or someone else) from just telling it like it is. I would like to see more transparency in this regard from electrek.

From all YouTubers!
Spot on. This bike channel got all these ebikes free. The guy doesn't like many ebikes, especially the low end ones and he's up front and honest about it. Still people send him ebikes for free. They can turnaround and sell them for profit. All the free stuff sent to these channels is rarely known by the viewer.

As with any review or reviewer, if any sort of compensation or kickback is involved the review the review can't be trusted. I have seen a few "reviews" on electrek where it appeared some form of compensation (direct or indirect) prevented the reviewer (whether it was mikey, micah, or someone else) from just telling it like it is. I would like to see more transparency in this regard from electrek.
Hey Tom! I totally agree with the need for more transparency. That's one of the reasons I thought it would be interesting to investigate Electrek, since they're so big. I guess I am conflicted about saying no to any compensation for reviews, mainly because people pay me (usually) to review their products, and I know plenty of up-and-coming YouTubers who are trying to do this full-time and need to get compensated to live their lives, as we all don't have giant channels to just live off of the YouTube ad revenue. I think getting paid to perform the work or produce the video is fine, but being upfront about it is the key to being transparent and getting paid, while also giving your honest feedback and opinion on a product, like some of the old EBR intros where the reviewer states (whether that was Mikey, Tyson or Court) that they got paid to do the review, but they are going to be giving their honest feedback anyway. For me, if they offer me a discount code, I like to pass that along to the people who stop by and watch the review, but I don't think I've participated in more than 1 or 2 direct affiliate programs with brands, for the obvious reasons you outlined. The line seems to get pretty thin and can make it seem like I WANT to sell bikes, as opposed to REVIEW bikes, and that's not the case ;)

Spot on. This bike channel got all these ebikes free. The guy doesn't like many ebikes, especially the low end ones and he's up front and honest about it. Still people send him ebikes for free. They can turnaround and sell them for profit. All the free stuff sent to these channels is rarely known by the viewer.

I just watched this video a few days ago!! Love it :) And yeah, he's getting $1,500 a bike all day every day in Facebook marketplace. I think he mentioned something about donating everything to charity as well, super cool move and a great video!

EBR and Electrek are the only 2 ebike sites I follow. If I want exploring abandoned places, Proper People. Electric kick scooter info, ESG. When not catching up I'm out riding, exploring my neighborhood and surrounding areas. There are so many online sites to follow that it makes me miss old school magazines. Come to think about it, I subscribe to Decibel for my music and Electric Bike Action.

"Wannabe"? I don't know if I fall into that category, since I've been doing this for several years, but I do appreciate you stopping by and adding to this thread, my friend :)

I was thinking about doing Electrified Reviews next, what do you think about them?
What do I think?
... I hope you don't forget the free ebike accessories that you and Micah promised me for bumping your thread. 🙃
That and that I'd need to suffer an aneurism and have my pecker permanently drop before I'd be bored enough to consider your content interesting.

Last edited:
Micah is a personal friend. A good heart and supporter of all things eBike. Doing youtube videos and helping eBikers before you pissy grumps knew what an eBike was. Jeebus.
No problem with Micah.... Though some of his early battery build videos would be better off deleted
But this clown comes off as a niche seeking wannabe.
I'm sorry but just because you post a lot and have a following of internet simpletons doesn't make you relevant to me. e.g. Kardashian

Micah is a personal friend. A good heart and supporter of all things eBike. Doing youtube videos and helping eBikers before you pissy grumps knew what an eBike was. Jeebus.
No problem with Micah.... Though some of his early battery build videos would be better off deleted
But this clown comes off as a niche seeking wannabe.
I'm sorry but just because you post a lot and have a following of internet simpletons doesn't make you relevant to me. e.g. Kardashian

Back