Body Float Suspension Seat Post Thoughts

The thompson 36.4 (O.D. of seat tube) worked great (pics a page back), a little spendy. I also like the Loaded Precision stuff, especially if you are doing a color thing, made right here in San Diego. I'm thinking of getting their skewers, don't care for the cheapo stock ones, even cut myself on the crudely made lever. -S

Here is what I found out today while swapping tires:

Shea_Dash_Skewers_COMP_small_6640.jpg

And it's not just the quality of the finish, the stock skewers don't exactly have that nice cam lock feeling. LP has lots of other customization bits too. -S

I installed a Crudluster the other day and used the proflastimer for really fat people. Can't feel the seat move and it takes the edge of the bumps. I am very happy for $130.00. The bodybloat would have to be exponentially better to justify the spend. I was apprehensive about a squishy tushy but that just does not happen.

I installed a Crudluster the other day and used the proflastimer for really fat people. Can't feel the seat move and it takes the edge of the bumps. I am very happy for $130.00. The bodybloat would have to be exponentially better to justify the spend. I was apprehensive about a squishy tushy but that just does not happen.
Thanks for the input. I suppose that we'll have to see what Len starts offering with his bikes absent any further input from the BF factory rep. here. $130 vs $250? As Brian alluded to earlier...either give us a shootout or a side-by-side darn good sales pitch to spend that (significant) extra money or recommend the product to others here.

Last edited:
Yesterday was my birthday...thank you ..I received a new Float, just what I picked ..I meant what I wanted. As soon as this late winter weather breaks I hope to use it. Any last minute words of advice? it is replacing a Thudbuster(just rebuilt) I hope to tell a difference :). I am also in need of a new seat, mine is ripped and goo coming out I cant seem to make up my mind on a seat. I think I will start w/my old seat anyway so I only change 1 variable at a time.

One thing i noticed when I opened it that i didn't think about is the length of the shaft much less than a Thudbuster. May make a difference when i use my wife's medium step through compared to my large leg over. I find myself comfortable on both bikes at 6' but short legs compared to body.

Have to wonder why people need this.. ARe the roads really that bad where your ride? Maybe i'm just spoiled living in FL.

Joe, everybody is is different. After 2-5 hours in my seat, my butt hurts. I have dealt w/most everything else, still get leg cramps too though. I am not in FL yet :( 4-5 years till retirement, think Melbourne area...

BTW I am 95% bike path, mostly asphalt, I would think you have a smoother road then i have path.

Also maybe you don't "need" one but would it be an improvement ? Have you tried any of these improved seat posts? The Thudbuster, BodyFloat or the Suntour similar to the Thudbuster?

Last edited:
Have to wonder why people need this.. ARe the roads really that bad where your ride? Maybe i'm just spoiled living in FL.
The winter does a number on the roads in Chicago. There are sections of road that when I roll over it its enough to throw my chain and make my panniers fall off. These roads have bumps that go right through the bike, into your spine, and into your teeth. Its really, really bad.

I need to move to FL ASAP.

In San Diego they have hired a company to survey the roads for all the problem areas, nothing like Chicago I'm sure but as usual infrastructure maintenance is way behind. Plenty of folks seem proud of the toughness of their backside, even riding brooks saddles, I say whatever. Comfort is king for me, especially above 40 miles - congratulations on your new parallelogram. Weasle riding a woodpecker, WTF! -S

Been a while since I've chimed in on this thread. We are diligently plugging away and continuing to grow a very loyal, and impressed, base of users for BodyFloat. So I'd like to start share what we're learning through this product. Please ask questions of why BodyFloat is so different...though it may look similar to others...it is very different. For those wanting the 'shootout', here is a great blog post by the owner of Rodriguez Bicycles ( http://www.rodbikes.com/blog/ ). As in the most recent comments here in addressing butt pain...a good pair of shorts is always recommended. The better the shorts.,the better your butt will feel. But, think of this...it's not just about the terrain your riding on. Let's take surface smoothness, or roughness, out of the equation (yes...it matters but maybe a lot less than you may think). If you've spent any time on a stationary trainer or spinning bike, you will undoubtedly remember how rigid the bike feels under you (something also akin to an Electric bike with a 60 lb bike vs a 20 lb bike). The 'pain in your rear' comes from the a combination of resonance of your pedal stroke and a saddle that doesn't fit your body parts. Your pedaling resonance, that chimes in at around 180 bounces per minute (thats 2 bounces per cadence for a 90 rpm rider). This creates a significant impact on the saddle coming from your bodies motion. BodyFloat, unlike any other parallelogram or telescoping system, is able to BOTH isolate you from the terrain AND from your inherent body bounce, creating a stable foundation that connects you to your bike and improves all the performance and comfort metrics, creating a happy butt and rider.

So 3 things:
3 - Get a good pair of shorts
2 - Find that saddle that fits YOUR anatomy
1 - Isolate from energy of both terrain and body then connect your body to your bike...and everything will get better.

Yesterday was my birthday...thank you ..I received a new Float, just what I picked ..I meant what I wanted. As soon as this late winter weather breaks I hope to use it. Any last minute words of advice? it is replacing a Thudbuster(just rebuilt) I hope to tell a difference :). I am also in need of a new seat, mine is ripped and goo coming out I cant seem to make up my mind on a seat. I think I will start w/my old seat anyway so I only change 1 variable at a time.

One thing i noticed when I opened it that i didn't think about is the length of the shaft much less than a Thudbuster. May make a difference when i use my wife's medium step through compared to my large leg over. I find myself comfortable on both bikes at 6' but short legs compared to body.

I know you'll feel a significant difference between your Thudbuster and the BodyFloat. We recommend following the basic tuning instruction. If desired, please contact us directly and we will forward you our Advanced Tech Card that goes into much more tuning detail. Once you get BodyFloat on board, take some time to find the saddle that fits your body. I'd even recommend a Brooks or Anatomica. You won't need to get a saddle with excessive padding, but rather find a saddle with a bit firmer feel that works for you and your body. You are now isolated from the terrain features and able to sit through much more terrain and maintain your contact with the saddle without gels or cushy padding.

Regarding post length...we do offer a longer 420mm Ti and a 420mm AL 31.6 post if you need some extension. Also keep in mind that once pre-loaded the BodyFloat you will sit about 2cm lower than with no pre-load under your weight.

Yes, where it freezes and thaws tears the roads up. Water gets trapped, freezes, expands, boom, broken pavement. Now you've got more water that can sit and be trapped and freeze again, boom, more damage. Roads can look like a bomb went off on the them after enough freeze/thaw cycles.

I know you'll feel a significant difference between your Thudbuster and the BodyFloat. We recommend following the basic tuning instruction. If desired, please contact us directly and we will forward you our Advanced Tech Card that goes into much more tuning detail. Once you get BodyFloat on board, take some time to find the saddle that fits your body. I'd even recommend a Brooks or Anatomica. You won't need to get a saddle with excessive padding, but rather find a saddle with a bit firmer feel that works for you and your body. You are now isolated from the terrain features and able to sit through much more terrain and maintain your contact with the saddle without gels or cushy padding.

Regarding post length...we do offer a longer 420mm Ti and a 420mm AL 31.6 post if you need some extension. Also keep in mind that once pre-loaded the BodyFloat you will sit about 2cm lower than with no pre-load under your weight.

What size BodyFloat do you recommend for the ST2? I ordered one the other day for an ST1 (31.6) but looking at them Im not sure they are the same?

What size BodyFloat do you recommend for the ST2? I ordered one the other day for an ST1 (31.6) but looking at them Im not sure they are the same?
Unless things have changed BodyFloat only comes in one size diameter seatpost AFAIK, you will need a spacer with an outside diameter of 31.6 and the inside diameter of 27.2, I think (from memory). The spacers are pretty common at bike shops or you can order one online, including from the BF folks. -S

Back