Body Float Suspension Seat Post Thoughts

Late to the party.

Many of our customers would LOVE something more sophisticated like a Body Float.
We will place a bulk order if someone can enlighten the differences between this and other suspension seastposts like Thudbuster ST/LT.

Thank you

I have a locking collar on the way, and for my Dash 2014 it was the 27.2 to 31.6mm seatpost sleeve that was required to install.

Fantastic(!) and thanks for the review.
Could you give me some kind of idea what locking collar I need? Our 2014 Dash has probably the same thumbscrew/lever type mechanism holding the post in place as yours...and our Peak looks like a simple 'one screw' machined aluminum clamp. Is there some product out there that is the definitive method/material/design for locking these seat posts down when shims are used? (I wasn't necessarily thrilled with shimming it in the first place).

Late to the party.
Many of our customers would LOVE something more sophisticated like a Body Float.
We will place a bulk order if someone can enlighten the differences between this and other suspension seastposts like Thudbuster ST/LT.
Thank you

I tell you what, Len...if you have a smaller seat post bike or have a 31.6 shim (my order isn't shipping supposedly until Tuesday)...I'll send you one of mine to try out when they arrive here.

Late to the party.

Thank you
Hey Lenny
The crazy thing to do would be to order a Tbuster, a Bfloat, and a Suntour and try all three. A lot of us feel like the sweet spot is the Suntour when we get it for under $100.
I love mine and it does an excellent job.

I would have ordered the Suntour Ncx and did (long story)...yet I couldn't find an American distributor who could quote delivery shorter than 4 months (out to 6). They (Americans) wanted significantly more than under a hundy to boot. I had no problems dealing with the foreign distributor initially (tires, tubes, etc.) then nothing but ridiculousness from both them and shortly afterwards Suntour (they value the slow boat from China/no inventory I assume).

Last edited:
Thank you Brian and Dash.
I will ask my boys to test the Suntour NCX , Thudbuster and Body Float side by side.
If BFloat trumps all others in terms of performance, we will include this FREE of cost to our customers.

DashRip, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I ordered this $30 piece of bike jewelry, I used a digital caliper with a dead battery & just measured the linear gap of the caliper. 36.4 seems like a good size, (after much fumbling), and this design bulletproof. I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday if you want to hold off until I confirm the proper install.

As far as the shim goes, mine looks aluminum which is good in terms of bi-metal issues. It is nicely machined for a $10 part, has a little lip at the top. Pretty sure the weak factory quick release is the real concern here, mine was 'tight' before I flipped it locked. Not wild about the wheel skewers either BTW, missing that cam-lock feel and rusting inside 3 months.

As far as comparing the various products, I think it's GAME OVER - this is why you hear the word magic, this BodyFloat thing is an over achiever. Every few years something comes along,.. well all but one cliche aside, this technology is the new paradigm in seatpost suspension. And no I'm not compensated, this is just my independent review. Get one.

Shea_Dash_BodyFloat_small_6528.jpg

-Shea

Last edited:
Thank you Brian and Dash.
I will ask my boys to test the Suntour NCX , Thudbuster and Body Float side by side.
If BFloat trumps all others in terms of performance, we will include this FREE of cost to our customers.

...yet another reason why I like you, Len..."let's just do this!"... :)

DashRip, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I ordered this $30 piece of bike jewelry, I used a digital caliper with a dead battery & just measured the linear gap of the caliper. 36.4 seems like a good size, (after much fumbling), and this design bulletproof. I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday if you want to hold off until I confirm the proper install.
-Shea

Yep...that matches my Peak clamp design. I'll hold off and thanks...especially for easing any anxiety I previously had over the $570 we just spent. Many kudos to James as well for doing all the heavy lifting here and taking the time to film those videos/soften the ground for everyone.

That's a terrific offer, Lenny.
With my next ebike, I'm getting a Body Float seatpost :)

Dash,
I use something like this to make the seatpost secure.
I did look at the Thomson seatpost clamp but went with this one. (out of stock right now!)

Now, you're all set for hardcore mountain biking (E3 Peak+ Body Float = awesomeness) :)

I just sent Charlie (from Cirrus Cycles) a message suggesting he chime in here to update everyone on where his company is heading. Once my BodyFloat shows up (Soon??) I'll have some closing thoughts on it as well. I know the demo I used was a game changer for my commute as well I use a Stromer ST1 mainly on my commute which consists of a 80km daily ride on pavement (some smooth, lots not!!)
I miss it a lot for sure. If Lenny's going to include one on every bike he sells, that's incredible!

Dash,
I use something like this to make the seatpost secure.
I did look at the Thomson seatpost clamp but went with this one. (out of stock right now!)

Now, you're all set for hardcore mountain biking (E3 Peak+ Body Float = awesomeness) :)

Ordered it (thanks again, Ravi)...never considered a more secure clamp to save $300 or so (w/seat) walking away with but a few simple tools. I became a little weary looking at seats and finally eeny-meeny-miney-moe picked these two up to start somewhere (should've did it at the LBS). I'm hoping that they're reasonably well suited for two older 'newbs' just starting to ride again.
Planet Bike 5020 Men's ARS Standard Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel
Planet Bike 5021 Women's ARS Standard Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel
As for the hardcore mtbing...gosh that would be nice to get myself in the shape needed to even attempt same and thanks be to the Lord/all you guys..it's definitely a possibility.

Just finished up a night ride (with my new toy's toy). My light actually died right at the front gate, spooky, the Dash, one last bar. Yes I'm doing 2 batt cycles a day on the weekends.. Back on topic; here is another benefit of the BodyFloat, it actually seems easier on the hub motor (rear hard-tail in my case), think of it as up suspension, since your dead weight is now in suspension the initial shock and unsprung weight return is also attenuated reducing the shock on the motor.

For Dash owners, perhaps others, there is kind of a built in shock meter, it is the kickstand. Hit a hard-ish bump and she'll put out a little audible vibration as the retention spring of the kickstand does it's job. Tonight I heard less of those tones, and I was steering into stuff to feel the float.

I'd sure like a lightweight front shock with this technology, did see a carbon leaf based design in the wilds, but I'd love to see a Cirrus Cycles version, a port of this design to a MTN/Cross fork. That's right I'm wishing my front shock was a smooth as my saddle is now.

I'm wishing my front shock was as smooth as my saddle is now.

I'd really like to see the options layed out someday to determine whether the price was prohibitive or not and exactly what you receive 'technology-wise' for the money spent on (basic) ebike suspension products as you step up the scale.
On second thought, if the above resembles anything else I've been exposed to in regards to suspension products (off road)..perhaps I don't want to know.:eek:

Back on topic; here is another benefit of the BodyFloat, it actually seems easier on the hub motor (rear hard-tail in my case), think of it as up suspension, since your dead weight is now in suspension the initial shock and unsprung weight return is also attenuated reducing the shock on the motor.

I'd sure like a lightweight front shock with this technology, did see a carbon leaf based design in the wilds, but I'd love to see a Cirrus Cycles version, a port of this design to a MTN/Cross fork. That's right I'm wishing my front shock was a smooth as my saddle is now.

I'd really like to see the options layed out someday to determine whether the price was prohibitive or not and exactly what you receive 'technology-wise' for the money spent on (basic) ebike suspension products as you step up the scale.
On second thought, if the above resembles anything else I've been exposed to in regards to suspension products (off road)..perhaps I don't want to know.:eek:

Electronically controlled dynamic damping systems are already available in the market.
In fact, Magura has ELECT line of suspension and Haibike just introduced a fancy electronic suspension system.

Check out the details on our blog: http://www.crazylennysebikes.com/blog

I am usually of the mindset, "why pay less when you can pay more." However, the difference in consumer cost between a thudbuster and a body float is so large that the value proposition would need to be extreme in order to justify the cost. So...I too am anxious to understand the marginal benefits of one vs the other. The Cirrus Bodyfloat would have to be significantly better to justify considering its purchase. I do understand that this is a tiny little business with no volume production or offshore manufacturing so the cost to produce is way out of whack with industry standards. I also tend to look at the financial health of a company to gauge its longevity for providing continuing innovation and support.

I just sent Charlie (from Cirrus Cycles) a message suggesting he chime in here to update everyone on where his company is heading. Once my BodyFloat shows up (Soon??) I'll have some closing thoughts on it as well. I know the demo I used was a game changer for my commute as well I use a Stromer ST1 mainly on my commute which consists of a 80km daily ride on pavement (some smooth, lots not!!)
I miss it a lot for sure. If Lenny's going to include one on every bike he sells, that's incredible!

James,

Would you please have Charlie contact Len here or over the phone (Len Mattioli: 608-575-8711) directly?
If we are convinced that it is going to transform E-bike experience for our customers,we will stock couple dozen of them right away.

I have to agree with 86, I want to make sure they are around for a while and support their products.

I am usually of the mindset, "why pay less when you can pay more." However, the difference in consumer cost between a thudbuster and a body float is so large that the value proposition would need to be extreme in order to justify the cost. So...I too am anxious to understand the marginal benefits of one vs the other. The Cirrus Bodyfloat would have to be significantly better to justify considering its purchase. I do understand that this is a tiny little business with no volume production or offshore manufacturing so the cost to produce is way out of whack with industry standards. I also tend to look at the financial health of a company to gauge its longevity for providing continuing innovation and support.

...according to BrianJ there is even a more significant difference in price for the (overseas) Suntour NCX that he had me convinced to pick up and which he believes is more than adequate. Let's hope that all three get their due in any shootout...which he has been advocating from the beginning of this thread.

James,

Would you please have Charlie contact Len here or over the phone (Len Mattioli: 608-575-8711) directly?
If we are convinced that it is going to transform E-bike experience for our customers,we will stock couple dozen of them right away.

I have to agree with 86, I want to make sure they are around for a while and support their products.

Done!

Back