Is a Bolton Ebike, now Area 13, Right for You?

AccuPro

Region
USA
So some background on me - I'm a 72 year old man, 5' 11", about 210 lbs. I have 50+ years on motorcycles and bicycles and am now retired and restore vintage Honda motorcycles for a hobby. I rode mountain bikes for about 20 years and got into Ebikes about 4 years ago. I'm rather anal and did over a years worth of research on Ebikes before pulling the pin on a 26" Bolton Blackbird in Nov. 2020, which I received in Sep. 2021.

I joined the Bolton Repair & Maintenance Facebook group and ended up being a paid subscriber to Bolton's "technician" YouTube channel to get advanced info etc. I participated in both of these groups while waiting for my Blackbird!

I was originally looking at RAD bikes and saw one of Kyle's (Bolton owner) videos comparing RAD against others and was impressed with Kyle's videos and then I started looking at his bikes. He does offer allot of bike for the money. I did find you could go on Alibaba and order the same bike for less money BUT you would have to take a risk with an unknown supplier, do all the QC yourself, etc.

The rub for me came as a result of my impression that Area 13 (aka Bolton) was unboxing and going over these bikes coming in from China prior to shipping them out to customers. He had his "special" Bolton tool, 3D printed logo's etc., etc., etc. Well the reality is, this does not happen and there does not appear to be a quality program in place to get systemic problems created during manufacturing fixed or addressed. Over time on the forum there were these reoccurring problems that kept coming up over and over and while Kyle and his team were always right there to send out replacement parts, or whatever the customer wanted, there did not seem to be any effort on Kyle's part to address these issues with the factory?? Most of the issues that come up are in essence manufacturing defects that were NOT caught at some kind of final production step OR in the case of Area 13, done by there technicians during setup! The ongoing consistent problems are loose everything from bottom brackets to spokes and everything in between. Motors that are intermittent and eventually go back to loose connectors, derailleurs significantly out of adjustment, and the big one for me was loose crank arms.

Many people have complained about the bottom bracket clicking or knocking while pedaling. The fix is to properly secure the crankarm onto the spindle. The spindle has a square tapered shaft that the square hole in the crankarm gets torqued onto, typically 50 to 60 foot pounds. The crankarm usually goes 1/2" to 3/4" or more onto this tapered shaft. Its nearly impossible to do this yourself as you are applying a significan force to a bolt on the end of the rotating spindle/cassette. This would typically be done in a factory jig during manufacturing as this is not something a customer would do or even have the tools to do.

So my Blackbird arrived and I fully inspected it and documented everything with pictures. For me I was willing to wait for Kyle's bike and maybe pay a little more then taking the risk of ordering from China directly. In fact at my age I wanted to rely on the "Bike Shop" to take care of everything for me, realizing in the case of mail order your basically only able to rely on them to unbox the unit and ensure everything was tight and properly adjusted before sending it out.

So its obvious the bike was not removed from the factory box as its tie rapped in place throughout with no evidence that any of this had been removed and redone. The box had been opened at the top on one end only and re-taped. I started tightening everything that was loose but have not trued the wheels yet due to loose spokes. The crankarms on mine did click/clunk like others had said so I did get it up on a stand and started looking at the crankarms, spindle, cassette, etc., that's when I found the right drive crankarm just fell off in my hand when I removed the loose screw. In my case the crankarms had never been torqued onto the spindle.

So I like Kyle and as his YouTube technician attempted to point these things out to him over time but never received a response or saw any actions as a result of my thoughts and opinions. So the reason for my dialog was to let others know that if your somewhat reluctant to order from one of these American based online sellers, but decided to bite the bullet and do it anyway, AND are older like me and are assuming the online seller is going to be going over your bike before you get it - I would pass on Area 13 (aka Bolton).

Area 13 is the last place I would buy a ebike from, I bought a Blackbird and it's the worst bike I have owned and I have had three ebikes.

Holy smokes ! Glad I saw this post I wanted a Luna but there sold out so i contacted A51 & he's getting new bikes in about 2 weeks I was going to preorder glad I didn't ! Can't believe a guy can stay in business operating like that.

I have a Bolton Blackbird after 100 miles the controller burned up. The people at Bolton said that they have learned that if the c-5 (power to the controller) is set on 10 the controllers are burning up to soon. so, their solution is to turn c-5 down to 6 which is a noticeable loss in performance. Bolton said they have no plans to change the controller in the Blackbirds. I think it is pretty sad they know about a problem and instead of fixing it to utilize the full potential of a 52-volt system they have you turn it down. i have requested that Kyle call me back multiple times, but he will not. their phone jockey said they have no plans to upgrade the controllers. That says a lot about a Companies loyalty to their customers.

I have Blackbird (bb). I bought it in May of 2022. I have had it for about 4 months and ridden almost 500 miles. I’ve had issues/problems but they’ve been fixed quickly. I’ve bought accessories, added upgrades and made changes.

It’s a great bike. It flys. I’m 6’4” and 275. I did two years of research (lime just about everyone here) and I’m glad I bought this bike. It’s a blast!

Holy smokes ! Glad I saw this post I wanted a Luna but there sold out so i contacted A51 & he's getting new bikes in about 2 weeks I was going to preorder glad I didn't ! Can't believe a guy can stay in business operating like that.
Sure by now you know most if these Ebike companies do exactly the same thing as Area13/Bolton. Just because the long winded poster had a bad experience doesn't mean most everyone will.
If want a real company bike expect to pay alot more for one.
I've ordered one and supposed to be here in mid October. I've had plenty of time to cancel after reading up on numerous reviews and such of all brands in the 2500 to 3500 range..
Hope you found a good ebike for you.....

Sure by now you know most if these Ebike companies do exactly the same thing as Area13/Bolton. Just because the long winded poster had a bad experience doesn't mean most everyone will.
If want a real company bike expect to pay alot more for one.
I've ordered one and supposed to be here in mid October. I've had plenty of time to cancel after reading up on numerous reviews and such of all brands in the 2500 to 3500 range..
Hope you found a good ebike for you.....
Well yeah, you get what you pay for I ended up spending 6.5K on a Mondraker Crafty R & glad I did !

Time will tell. My 1st ebike. Way to many brands out there. Wife and two friends bought Treks at local store, about 3k each. Really nice road bikes but for me I wanted more options. Will look up your bike. Never heard of that brand... Thanks

Time will tell. My 1st ebike. Way to many brands out there. Wife and two friends bought Treks at local store, about 3k each. Really nice road bikes but for me I wanted more options. Will look up your bike. Never heard of that brand... Thanks
Good morning,
What bike are you getting?

Hello,
The Foxbat.
Cool. I’m pretty jealous. I rode the FB. It was fast and comfortable and I wish I could have purchased it but it was only 19”. I wanted the 1000 watts and the cadence sensor and mid drive but I needed a bigger frame. I have some unsolicited advice if you are interested.

Enjoy!

Sure. I am open. Not sure what the 19" comment is.

Little background, on me 60yr old, 6'3" 230lbs. 1st bike since i was in my 20's. Need to start getting my body moving more. Live in Boulder City NV. Lots of riding areas here including off pavement trails. About 2 years ago noticed more "older" people out riding bikes which I thought was awesome then I found out why, electric bikes... So this past January we along with two friends chatted about getting some, EXCEPT they were supposed to be $1500 range and foldable for traveling. One week end the wife and friends go bike "Looking" locally. I get a call "I am going to buy a $3K bike, okay?" ... and that pretty much sums up where I am at. Love them Lectric bikes with two batteries. Almost cancelled my Foxbat but then the notice of bikes on their way a slow boat from China. So I am excited again....

Sure. I am open. Not sure what the 19" comment is.

Little background, on me 60yr old, 6'3" 230lbs. 1st bike since i was in my 20's. Need to start getting my body moving more. Live in Boulder City NV. Lots of riding areas here including off pavement trails. About 2 years ago noticed more "older" people out riding bikes which I thought was awesome then I found out why, electric bikes... So this past January we along with two friends chatted about getting some, EXCEPT they were supposed to be $1500 range and foldable for traveling. One week end the wife and friends go bike "Looking" locally. I get a call "I am going to buy a $3K bike, okay?" ... and that pretty much sums up where I am at. Love them Lectric bikes with two batteries. Almost cancelled my Foxbat but then the notice of bikes on their way a slow boat from China. So I am excited again....
19” is the frame size. Both bikes, the Blackbird and the Foxbat have pros and cons for each of us. One of the pros for the Blackbird for me was a bigger frame. In fact, the frame size of the foxbat was a deal breaker. I am 6’4”, 280.

So my advice to you is, when you get the bike, tighten down every single bolt. Many bolts on my Blackbird loosened up after 15 or so miles. Invest in a set of bike tools with leverage. Use flat-out as well as tuffy liners. I have about 30 thorns between both tires and haven’t gotten 1 single flat tire/tube.

About area 13… For all intents and purposes, they are local. They respond to their customers. I have had good and great experiences with their customer service.

Enjoy your bike,
Jim

I'm new to this forum, new to Ebikes, and new to my Bolton blackbird which was right at 2K new, to my door. So far so good but I dont have much comparison. A buddy has a couple rad rovers he's upgraded and they spec out close to stock blackbird.

Hi,
So as someone posted I checked every nut n bolt on bike that was already set. There are just fine. Had a few MFRs putting together but all in all just like putting a gas grill together....Love the Foxbat. Compared to the Treks the wife and friends purchased my bike is more responsive in every manner (cadence, torque...whatever)
. The Trek has its pluses but it's not for me. LOVE the Foxbat.

This seems to be the case, not just with the ebike either. I have a Ride1Up. It’s a great bike. My wife has an RadRunnerPlus. After seeing the Area13 rad upgrade, I wondered “what is it, really?”. It’s a controller and display replacement. A kit that gives you more options, which is why I went with the 700 Series. Its display has many “open” settings for the user to configure. The 700 Series is a great bike, for me. Over time, I wanted more and wondered more. I couldn’t help myself. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new controller and display for my bike. I did a bunch of research. I looked at the size of the controller, to be sure it would still fit in my frame. I looked at the wiring and connectors, to be sure I got the same JST ones. The kit I ordered even had the same LCD8H display as the “Rad upgrade” kit. I was sure to buy the controller and display as a kit from the same aliexpress seller. All works great. I even gained cruise control, which I tried and decided that I don’t like it. :) The kit was $80 USD, so it was a nice upgrade that wasn’t too expensive. I had to make some corrections in the wiring, but all went well. I’ve worked with wire for the last 25 years and LOVE taking things apart (and back together). I also love troubleshooting and finding out not just where the problem is, but finding out why. When I bought my bike, I knew I was going to be the mechanic and electrician.

I'm new to this forum, new to Ebikes, and new to my Bolton blackbird which was right at 2K new, to my door. So far so good but I dont have much comparison. A buddy has a couple rad rovers he's upgraded and they spec out close to stock blackbird.
Congrats on getting A blackbird. It’s super fun. After about 500 miles I replaced the entire group set. I wanted more speed on The flats and still wanted to be able to climb. There are many videos on YouTube that help explain choosing parts and achieving your goals. This thing is almost like a boat. It’s easy to spend money on it.

Enjoy!
Jim

Reactions: J D
I have bought 6 ebikes and none of them were opened by the seller and checked out before shipping them out .The seller orders from china and sends to the buyer.I will say the 1st ebike (wtva) from amazon is a great bike with not 1 problem after 2 years along with communication with the seller.the engwe was crap.#3 was the 3score 3 wheeler ,the battery would not come out from it's cradle, your feet hit the front tire when peddling and at 10mph it shook so bad.#4 slrmo ,2 wheel drive ,100% crap. Non working are gear selector, rear motor,front motor worked 30% of the time,screen was locked when I got the bike ,had to remove the rear basket to remove the battery .#5 Rad mini GREAT BIKE AND WORKED RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX .#6 Ariel rider grizzly also a great bike and very comfortable to ride .Not 1 of these bikes was opened by the seller and checked out .Bike sellers are just the middle man and most do not want to be bothered with the bike problems because the know less that the buyers , that why they have to get back to you (after contacting the manufacturer)

Back