Bike frame broke. Can anything be done for this?

SDB

Bought a DJ Fat tire e-bike late July of last year. Used it for 2 months. Used it again this year. All in all I have only put 3,400 km on it with simple riding. Am 5'4 at 140 pounds so not heavy for the bike.
Today while riding, the seat tube of the frame itself snapped at the seat.

The seat broke and immediately caught itself in the spokes of the back wheel and I slid onto the muddy grass to a stop. Fortunately not hurting myself further.

Is there any way of fixing this so it is still useable?

62515989574__C81700E0-0849-49B5-ABFE-910237AE6DB1.jpeg

62515989574__C81700E0-0849-49B5-ABFE-910237AE6DB1.jpeg
IMG_3721.jpg

Wow, sorry to here that DJB, and glad you are okay. I would send/copy this post to the seller. They say they have a 1 year warranty, but I would think in a case like this, they would/should be willing to replace your bike. Let us know what happens.

Reactions: SDB
Bought a DJ Fat tire e-bike late July of last year. Used it for 2 months. Used it again this year. All in all I have only put 3,400 km on it with simple riding. Am 5'4 at 140 pounds so not heavy for the bike.

The seat broke and immediately caught itself in the spokes of the back wheel and I slid onto the muddy grass to a stop. Fortunately not hurting myself further.

View attachment 69521

View attachment 69521View attachment 69522
If you can't get any satisfaction from the seller call around to local welding/machine shops. Ask about TIG welding an aluminum bike frame. Most should be able to do the job. It's not a big job and shouldn't be that expensive.

Could be a warning about the future life of that frame. When the break is just off the weld, it usually means their was too much heat and brittleness in the welding process of the aluminum. The safest way to fix just that break is to add another smaller diameter piece inside the tube to spread the load across that seam, then have it all welded up. Start doing a weekly inspection around all the weld joints and really study that thing for cracks. You used up one life on that failure, no need using up more by ignoring the issue.

Thanks for all of the input. I am female, older and not a serious rider. If I were, or used the bike on hard trails I could partly understand the damage but I am slow and careful so surprised this happened. I have emailed the company and will update should I get a response. Shame, I did enjoy that bike.

Thanks for all of the input. I am female, older and not a serious rider. If I were, or used the bike on hard trails I could partly understand the damage but I am slow and careful so surprised this happened.
How much seat post was inside the frame? If it was beyond the extension mark, or the bottom of the post was at the junction of the two tubes, the seatpost would act like a long lever and break the frame just like how it appears.

Thanks for all of the input. I am female, older and not a serious rider. If I were, or used the bike on hard trails I could partly understand the damage but I am slow and careful so surprised this happened. I have emailed the company and will update should I get a response. Shame, I did enjoy that bike.
All the more reason it should have lasted far longer. Fortunately, you did not become a seriously INJURED rider! Keep us informed as a refusal to replace that frame should serve as a major warning to everyone here to stay away from DJ Fat tire e-bikes!

Last edited:
How much seat post was inside the frame? If it was beyond the extension mark, or the bottom of the post was at the junction of the two tubes, the seatpost would act like a long lever and break the frame just like how it appears.

I threw out the seat earlier but if I understand your question, the seat was not high up as I am only 5"4, perhaps even 1/2 inch shorter so I had to ride with the seat low.

View attachment 69521

View attachment 69521View attachment 69522

You say you bought it July of last year- 19 or 20? If it's last year, July of 19 you are probably out of warranty assuming they have a 1yr, but I agree with posters above, take pics and send it to the company where you purchased it and ask their advice. Glad you are not hurt. Taylor

You say you bought it July of last year- 19 or 20? If it's last year, July of 19 you are probably out of warranty assuming they have a 1yr, but I agree with posters above, take pics and send it to the company where you purchased it and ask their advice. Glad you are not hurt. Taylor
God, I should hope they'd warrant their frames for more than a year! Trek warrants their bike frames for as long as the original owner has the bike.

God, I should hope they'd warrant their frames for more than a year! Trek warrants their bike frames for as long as the original owner has the bike.

DJ Bikes is a family owned business established in Canada and run by owners Daniel & Jolin. The pair bring 15-years of international consulting and technical experience between North America and Asia. They have a stated goal of building eco-friendly, high-quality, and economic products to market. Every single product is fully tested by the team to meet great quality standards in North America. Their stated commitment includes offering competitive prices, selling directly, only using high-quality components from well-known brands, and free shipping to the US and Canada. They offer a 14-day return policy and one year warranty on all components and part

DJ Bikes is a family owned business established in Canada and run by owners Daniel & Jolin. The pair bring 15-years of international consulting and technical experience between North America and Asia. They have a stated goal of building eco-friendly, high-quality, and economic products to market. Every single product is fully tested by the team to meet great quality standards in North America. Their stated commitment includes offering competitive prices, selling directly, only using high-quality components from well-known brands, and free shipping to the US and Canada. They offer a 14-day return policy and one year warranty on all components and part
Why the advertisement?

I read what Taylor posted ... almost word for word copy from the sellers website. Not sure what Taylor had in mind by posting here.

Last edited:
I read what Taylor posted ... almost word for word on the sellers website. Not sure what Taylor had in mind by posting here.
Excuse me but I have never posted on DJ website and only heard of them for the first time tonight. I was merely Copying and Pasting from their website, info about their company in case the OP did not have it. Sorry if I acted out of school as they say...

Excuse me but I have never posted on DJ website and only heard of them for the first time tonight. I was merely Copying and Pasting from their website, info about their company in case the OP did not have it. Sorry if I acted out of school as they say...
Hopefully she gets a positive response to her email.

I don't feel you need to apologize. You acted in the best interests of the OP, IMO.

DJ Bikes is a family owned business established in Canada and run by owners Daniel & Jolin. The pair bring 15-years of international consulting and technical experience between North America and Asia. They have a stated goal of building eco-friendly, high-quality, and economic products to market. Every single product is fully tested by the team to meet great quality standards in North America. Their stated commitment includes offering competitive prices, selling directly, only using high-quality components from well-known brands, and free shipping to the US and Canada. They offer a 14-day return policy and one year warranty on all components and parts
A few more things to consider... the frame warranty is not mentioned so the OP may be in luck.
The usual warranty period for components and parts is shorter and does not include the frame.

Back