Bike frame broke. Can anything be done for this?

SDB...did you tell them about all the damage done because of the frame breaking? I would contact them again with that info highlighted and set a new bike as your expectation. But then that’s just me.🤔

Am I the only one who thinks it almost looks like acid ate away at the seat post and weakened it? Or were those deep gouges a result of the post breaking off?

Based on the OPs description of the accident... I think that is collateral damage from the seat post going into the rear spokes!

1603753454845.png

On the basis that’s the base of the seat at the top of the photo above, where‘S the actual seat post tube? Surely there should be 12” of tube running from the seat base down and , in the case of a low seat position, into the frame. I can’t see how, if the seat was set low with plenty of seat tube in the frame, how the seat/post came out and lodged in the rear wheel.

either way if DJ are offering a new frame perhaps they should just send a complete bike, minus battery and charger, and you just return the failed Bike. If nothing else they could reuse certain parts as spares for their own/demo bikes.

Just for the record, its now November 4th and I have not heard any more from DJEbike.

Turns out that they did try to call me on October 26th but I missed that message until earlier this week. The message stated was that they wanted to discuss the bike and if I recall correctly, the forum posting. It was sent the same day I received an email telling me they would ship a bike. Not sure if the call or email was sent first but since then, not a word nor a response to an email sent 24 hours ago.

So, we shall see.

Still waiting upon the frame. He said on Oct 26th that he will let me know when it ships.

I took in the bike today to an e-bike store and they quoted me a price of between $360-$400 plus 13% tax according to the hours needed to fix it. The rear wheel is not structurally sound due to the seat post flying backwards into the spokes. A half dozen spokes on that side are bent and moving around while they are still sound on the other side.

On top of that it will need a new seat as that too was ruined.

This offer of a replacement frame is no where near acceptable when looking at all of the costs above.

Still waiting upon the frame. He said on Oct 26th that he will let me know when it ships.

I took in the bike today to an e-bike store and they quoted me a price of between $360-$400 plus 13% tax according to the hours needed to fix it. The rear wheel is not structurally sound due to the seat post flying backwards into the spokes. A half dozen spokes on that side are bent and moving around while they are still sound on the other side.

On top of that it will need a new seat as that too was ruined.

This offer of a replacement frame is no where near acceptable when looking at all of the costs above.
I agree and would offer to send the entire bike back to them for a full replacement or refund.

Reactions: SDB
I agree and would offer to send the entire bike back to them for a full replacement or refund.

Just emailed them with that suggestion.

I ran into a Bike lawyer yesterday. Who knew there were lawyers specializing in bikes but he said it was unacceptable and only fortunate I did not suffer bodily damage myself. He gave me his card but I didn't bother to go into it further with him than I had done here but that was before I heard the costs required to fix it

Just emailed them with that suggestion.

I ran into a Bike lawyer yesterday. Who knew there were lawyers specializing in bikes but he said it was unacceptable and only fortunate I did not suffer bodily damage myself. He gave me his card but I didn't bother to go into it further with him than I had done here but that was before I heard the costs required to fix it
There's no way there is a SIC code for Bike Lawyer, I promise

There's no way there is a SIC code for Bike Lawyer, I promise

I chuckled when I saw his card but he does advertise himself as the Biking Lawyer although he appears to specialize in personal injuries. I was a legal assistant in immigration firms and I had never run across a Biking Lawyer before this. 😆

I chuckled when I saw his card but he does advertise himself as the Biking Lawyer although he appears to specialize in personal injuries. I was a legal assistant in immigration firms and I had never run across a Biking Lawyer before this. 😆
#chasetheambulance

How did you just “run into” a “Biking Lawyer”?🤔

A well written letter on the Biking Lawyers letterhead will probably solve your problem. See if you can get him to do it for $150-200.

A well written letter on the Biking Lawyers letterhead will probably solve your problem. See if you can get him to do it for $150-200.

Thanks. No though. I am at the point where i no longer want anything to do with this bike and regret the purchase. Don't want to throw good money after bad.

Thanks. No though. I am at the point where i no longer want anything to do with this bike and regret the purchase. Don't want to throw good money after bad.
You’re going to pay the import duty to get the frame though, right?

You’re going to pay the import duty to get the frame though, right?
That much I will do. What I will do with it once in my hands remains to be seen. I haven't had time to give it much thought but its possible that I will have it fixed and then sell it but if so, I would never touch another Chinese eBike again. If I were to consider another bike, next time I would pay more and stick with an North American company.

That much I will do. What I will do with it once in my hands remains to be seen. I haven't had time to give it much thought but its possible that I will have it fixed and then sell it but if so, I would never touch another Chinese eBike again. If I were to consider another bike, next time I would pay more and stick with an North American company.
Might be able to sell the parts as is to someone with far more mechanical knowledge. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with fixing it. Best of luck!

Might be able to sell the parts as is to someone with far more mechanical knowledge. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with fixing it. Best of luck!
Thank you. No, I would take it into a bike store and have them do it, then sell it. I will decide next week when the frame arrives. I might also just throw it all out depending on how busy or aggravated I am with it at that time.

Back