Bafang Forum - I just sent this message to Biktrix regarding the Unprogrammable Canbus

Ridetoglide

Region
USA
(Message to Bafang forum)

Hey Guys, how is it going up north?

I was just contacting you to find out if you have any updates regarding Bafang releasing updated firmware versions for the Canbus Ultra Motor.

If not, would it be possible for Biktrix to contact Bafang to see if they will provide any fireware updates for the Ultra motors with the new Canbus protocol. They may listen and try to help if the dealers and bike companies get involved and start requesting updates. I've read that Bafang does not like to deal with end users very much.

It is well known in the ebike community that the stock Bafang Ultra motor programming is rough at best but was able to be programmed smooth by the end user. Now with Canbus I have a rough performing ultra motor and no way to make it smoother.

I purchased my Juggernaut ultra Beast with the intention to program it only to find out that it is now unprogrammable. There are a few settings / performance characteristics I am not happy with and would like to have changed to make the bike operate more smoothly.

Right now there is a 250 to 500ms delay before the motor cuts out that I would like to have eliminated by changing "Time of Stop" to 0ms. I would like to throttle changed to "by displays command" so max throttle will be limited to the current assist level. During technical offroad riding the throttle is very difficult to use, it is very easy to input too much throttle lunging the bike forward. I would also like the "Limit Current %" settings changed to 0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,85 and 100% respectively for assist 0 - 9.

From what I understand I would need the Bafang BESST programing tool which I would be ok with purchasing to perform the updates. Luna Cycles sells the BESST tool that comes with 3 firmware options for the M600 motor, perhaps Biktrix can develop something like that for their M620s as well.

Ultimately if I am unable to get these performance issues resolved I will look to purchase a Uart Ultra motor ( if one is still available ) to replace the canbus version I currently have but I would rather not do that due to cost and loss of warranty. I am hoping some sort of updating procedure will be developed between bafang, dealers and bike owners.

I understand you guys are in the middle, it is not Biktrix's fault that bafang did this but we bike owners need your help getting this unprogammable issue resolved. Thanks again for your assistance.

Note: Message to Moderator - Please do not end this thread, it is technically not a duplicate thread, this subject is very import and needs to be disseminated. Thank you

I'm so glad I approach my bike like I did as a youngster. Just throw a leg over it and ride.

@Ridetoglide
You could also upgrade to the WattWagons Archon X1 controller (Innotrace in Europe).
That will replace the Canbus one, give you a much more efficient controller and programming access.

Ultra Beast Meister daydreams about keystroking while riding?
Or does the wicked beast deserve dis-use and neglect?

Juggernaut
Too powerful and too quick and disobedient for too long too much of the time.

I dunno, try riding up hill
maybe you can ride faster
pull a trailer, something challenging, please

1) there is a noticeable delay before the power cuts out
2) the lower assist levels are too powerful so the power engages then cuts out frequently because it accelerates too quickly
3) I cannot change the throttle to "by displays command", i dont want the throttle to be able to command full power in a lower assist level.

Ultra Beast Meister daydreams about keystroking while riding?
Or does the wicked beast deserve dis-use and neglect?

Juggernaut
Too powerful and too quick and disobedient for too long too much of the time.

I dunno, try riding up hill
maybe you can ride faster
pull a trailer, something challenging, please

1) there is a noticeable delay before the power cuts out
2) the lower assist levels are too powerful so the power engages then cuts out frequently because it accelerates too quickly
3) I cannot change the throttle to "by displays command", i dont want the throttle to be able to command full power in a lower assist level.
To each is own, if you are happy with the way your bike is stock then more power to you. When I pay $4000 for a bike with motor settings that are supposed to customizable only to find out the version i have is not then that is a problem and i am not going to just live with it.

@Ridetoglide
You could also upgrade to the WattWagons Archon X1 controller (Innotrace in Europe).
That will replace the Canbus one, give you a much more efficient controller and programming access.
Maybe not. There is some debate on whether a Bafang motor with the Canbus controller can be upgraded to the X1. Maybe they changed some plug or internal mounting, I don't think any one has said yet (at least not on this forum), but the company behind the controller has been saying it won't work. That might just mean it's not plug-n-play, as in theory there should be no reason it would not work from an electrical perspective.

Maybe not. There is some debate on whether a Bafang motor with the Canbus controller can be upgraded to the X1. Maybe they changed some plug or internal mounting, I don't think any one has said yet (at least not on this forum), but the company behind the controller has been saying it won't work. That might just mean it's not plug-n-play, as in theory there should be no reason it would not work from an electrical perspective.

I am hoping Watt Wagon will eventually make a canbus compatible X1 controller. I by next spring there is still no way to program the Canbus Ultra I will look to replace the motor with a Uart version

I am hoping Watt Wagon will eventually make a canbus compatible X1 controller. I by next spring there is still no way to program the Canbus Ultra I will look to replace the motor with a Uart version
As far as I know this is already done, there is a new version of the Archon X1/ Innotrace compatible with the new Bafang Canbus.

As far as I know this is already done, there is a new version of the Archon X1/ Innotrace compatible with the new Bafang Canbus.
Important - please read

• Upgrading the controller to Archon X1 will void your current Bafang Ultra warranty. You can always buy a manufacturer supported Bafang Ultra motor with the Archon controller and a 1 year warranty here.
  • Watt Wagons will not repair or fix broken motors. If we find that your motor has broken parts, missing hall sensors, etc, we will return the motor as-is and issue you a refund (minus return shipping).
  • The upgraded motor cannot be tuned using the old Bafang software or cabling. It has brand new custom firmware specifically developed for Watt Wagons.
  • As we upgrade the firmware and add features, we will make these upgrades available via a paid upgrade path.
  • If you purchased a new Bafang Ultra motor, or an ebike with the Bafang Ultra motor in 2020, please ensure you have the UART version of the motor.

According to the X1 controller listing it needs to a UART motor

You may want to re contact Innotrace and or WattWagons for an update on the status of supporting the new Bafang canbus

You may want to re contact Innotrace and or WattWagons for an update on the status of supporting the new Bafang canbus
Cool.... thanks.... i appreciate the info, the earliest i would make any changes would be next spring anyway so i'll wait and see what the companies come out with

Back