Any advice about Bafang M800 or Fazua Evation drive systems?

lcarc

Region
USA
Hi, I'm new to the EB Forum and am hoping to make my very first e-bike purchase. If this isn't the best subgroup forum, I can re-post to others which you might suggest.

Currently, I'm looking at gravel bikes which use either the 1) Bafang M800 motor w/ C260 controller/display and F05 200 wh battery like the Motobecane eMulekick or 2) Fazua Evation motor/battery combo unit found on some Trek Domane+ and Pivot E-vault bikes. I have yet to test ride one with the Bafang system while the Fazua appears to deliver adequate pedal assist while being lightweight, I'm ok with sacrificing some battery range in order to stay lightweight. Which system is more reliable? More user friendly? I didn't even think to try changing out the bike battery when doing test rides, but have learned that the Fazua system can be tricky to remove and must be removed to turn on the battery if left unactivated for 8 hrs. (maybe good to prevent accidental draining?), and by design is removed from the underside of the downtube. In contrast, the Bafang battery can be removed from the topside of the downtube which is more convenient but might be an issue for keeping out even light rain? Also can anyone recommend any dealers of Bafang products in case I might want to upgrade the battery someday to F09 430 wh? Some Bafang battery replacements can be hard to find on the internet. Thanks!

Hi, I'm new to the EB Forum and am hoping to make my very first e-bike purchase. If this isn't the best subgroup forum, I can re-post to others which you might suggest.

Currently, I'm looking at gravel bikes which use either the 1) Bafang M800 motor w/ C260 controller/display and F05 200 wh battery like the Motobecane eMulekick or 2) Fazua Evation motor/battery combo unit found on some Trek Domane+ and Pivot E-vault bikes. I have yet to test ride one with the Bafang system while the Fazua appears to deliver adequate pedal assist while being lightweight, I'm ok with sacrificing some battery range in order to stay lightweight. Which system is more reliable? More user friendly? I didn't even think to try changing out the bike battery when doing test rides, but have learned that the Fazua system can be tricky to remove and must be removed to turn on the battery if left unactivated for 8 hrs. (maybe good to prevent accidental draining?), and by design is removed from the underside of the downtube. In contrast, the Bafang battery can be removed from the topside of the downtube which is more convenient but might be an issue for keeping out even light rain? Also can anyone recommend any dealers of Bafang products in case I might want to upgrade the battery someday to F09 430 wh? Some Bafang battery replacements can be hard to find on the internet. Thanks!
Hi, I got Motobecane eMulekick in 2020 and enjoy the bike. Did many upgrades including better wheels but was not really necessary. I did just have the torque sensor fail in the motor after 3k miles and waiting for a replacement part from Bafang. Other then that I'm happy with the level of assist and range. Still getting about 35 to 40 miles of range, 47 original when new. Thats with only using level 1 assist and cold temps. Its very quiet and smooth with the assist. There is definitely resistance when assist is off but not that bad. I originally got the bike to help recovering from destroyed ankle and 7 surgeries and now only use it when single track mountain bike trails are closed due to rain or muddy conditions. I normally ride mountain bikes. My tipical gravel/asphalt ride on this bike is 25 to 40 miles and with turning off the assist on some sections it still lasts with no issues.

As for battery upgrade, I was looking at that and I think you will be stock with the F05 due to dimensions difference. As for rain, I rode this bike in rain many times, and crossed water puddles at high speed, with no issues. When hosing off the bike I try to remove the battery but have left it in a few times.

Last edited:
Back