I just sent this message to Biktrix regarding the Unprogrammable Canbus Ultra motor

Ahh, sorry, I meant X2. I know it is the M600+VESC (not Ultra), but was considering it for the better tuning options in favor over the Ultra CANBUS.
I didn't know the Z1 was still UART, so that's good to know, though... but yeah, VESC+Ultra option would be amazing. I have used VESC in other applications and would love to see it get more traction w/ ebikes.

Innotrace controller did pique my interest (especially if I went DIY), but tbh, I didn't like how much more expensive WW was compared to Innotrace (double, AFAICT).
Yep - quite a few 'less than thrilled' with WW as sole US distributor.

I'm sure there is more to the price difference,
I'm not convinced there's any 'value add' by them, as have seen people who were able to order a motor/controller wait over a year and numerous waiting for Innotrace account activation, (unique to Innotrace) programming cable, etc. meanwhile, or EU friends seem to have a lot quicker and saner service ordering direct from Innotrace.
I am still trying to confirm, but I heard most of the Frey Bikes are still UART. I am waiting to hear from Biktrix with some simlar questions, but I don't suppose there is any place this is being tracked from vs. reaching out individually? I'm wondering if there are any other known manufacturers/bikes sticking with UART (at least in the near term). CANBUS is a hard dealbreaker for me currently, at least w/o some roadmap being communicated for enabling access.
Yeah, unfortunately it's down to direct confirmation, with the exception of the Luna Z1, as they (rightly IMO) call out specifically as part of the value the fact they ship with UART motors.
I know I had asked at initial Monte Capro announcement if it was UART or CANBUS and was told CANBUS only, and others since have asked. Guessing their entire line of Ultra bikes is now CANBUS, but always good to check/confirm with the vendor.

The weird bit is that meanwhile, the M500/510 firmware is reasonably decent IMO from Bafang. I think it's possible newer M600 firmware from them may have finally become at least reasonably good. The VESC and other more advanced controllers are certainly able to be more efficient (and configurable), yet they seem to continue to have an utter mess on default Ultra firmware. Don't care, don't have the skills - don't know, but it's not impressive. :(

I think Dengfu also announced they have a handful of UART Ultras available for purchase recently. Still can't tell 'for real' if UART motors are still being manufactured in reality or if it's now really down to NOS/New Old Stock or what.

Apparently there's also now an M610 out or coming...curious as to differences there (Weapon X claim, haven't seen details)... Right now I'm mostly feeling the M600 combination of efficiency and 'power enough' has just removed the 'need' for an Ultra powered bike. Might be convinced otherwise in the future, e.g. a lighter Ultra with improved controller (not marked up from WW) like a VESC, at a reasonable-ish price...maybe.

Last edited:
GBK has the UART style motors as a kit, bare bones or just the controller if thats all you need.
Here's the 52v, 30a, 1000w UART controller I just got from them earlier this week.
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg

Back