I just sent this message to Biktrix regarding the Unprogrammable Canbus Ultra motor

So buy a fast bike and complain it’s to fast???
For me, it's another perfect example of why you need custom programming available for a high performance motor like this. There is no chance in hell you are going to be able to release it with programming that's suitable for all. NO WAY! To their credit, they've found a program that doesn't work for anyone - perfect for a way leading to the quick death of the M620.

Last edited:
or just slow down. Jeez if you want a 20 mph max either gear it down or just use less assist. there's no such thing as the bike police in the USA. And when did WW ever allege a 20 mph limit? Sounds like a lack of due diligence coupled to a lack of awareness of the marketplace in general.

or just slow down. Jeez if you want a 20 mph max either gear it down or just use less assist. there's no such thing as the bike police in the USA. And when did WW ever allege a 20 mph limit? Sounds like a lack of due diligence coupled to a lack of awareness of the marketplace in general.
A lot of trail systems around have park rangers & trails are limited to a Class 1 E-bike 20mph max and No throttle .

A lot of trail systems around have park rangers & trails are limited to a Class 1 E-bike 20mph max and No throttle .
Unplug the throttle if so equipped (bike will work fine without it) and watch the speedo and I wouldn't expect any real issues. I'm not speed-limited on my Luna X2 (M600, not Ultra motor) and other than downhills or if messing with throttle, speeds on trails > 20mph is rare and quite intentional IMO.

Prior BBHSD bike could hit 35mph-ish if trying but again, I never had an issue keeping it below 20 on trails.
??

Common knowledge. Just slow down. Put the throttle in a handlebar bag if you're concerned about inspection. The chances a ranger will put your bike on a dyno to test top speed are zero.

It's NOT just about speed!!! Consider low speed handling for instance. Do you want to ride something like this with just an on/off switch for power? The Frey Smooth programming PROVES just what CAN be done with low speed handling. The difference from the OEM to Smooth has to be ridden to be believed! What about torque sensing?

This is not just about speed.

The issue is about the need for people to be able to set the bike up for thier purposes. Not much different than the reason for adjustable seat posts.....

I agree though, with the lack of awareness on the part of the marketplace. Everyone ASSUMES Bafang is doing a good job, when in reality, they aren't even close....

It's NOT just about speed!!! Consider low speed handling for instance. Do you want to ride something like this with just an on/off switch for power? The Frey Smooth programming PROVES just what CAN be done with low speed handling. The difference from the OEM to Smooth has to be ridden to be believed! What about torque sensing?

This is not just about speed.

The issue is about the need for people to be able to set the bike up for thier purposes. Not much different than the reason for adjustable seat posts.....

I agree though, with the lack of awareness on the part of the marketplace. Everyone ASSUMES Bafang is doing a good job, when in reality, they aren't even close....
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing :D

The guy I was 'talking to' was complaining about the max speed on his bike being north of 20 mph. We weren't talking about Bafang programming or canbus or any of that. In that context it was all about his unhappiness with the top speed.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing :D

The guy I was 'talking to' was complaining about the max speed on his bike being north of 20 mph. We weren't talking about Bafang programming or canbus or any of that. In that context it was all about his unhappiness with the top speed.
In my defense, I have 3 main issues, speed is the least of my worries.
The Jerky / pause after I stop pedaling (forward momentum keeps going a few seconds, around 10 yards) then (the Pause when you star pedaling ) on the M620 CANbus motor ?Very unpredictable !

In my defense, I have 3 main issues, speed is the least of my worries.
The Jerky / pause after I stop pedaling (forward momentum keeps going a few seconds, around 10 yards) then (the Pause when you star pedaling ) on the M620 CANbus motor ?Very unpredictable !
It's predictable when you get used to riding it. Just not a very desirable trait....

The besst tool now requires a login to Bafang. We couldn’t use the first files they provided from our hard drives. We all should know by now that Bafang is moving from allowing end user access hamstringing resellers. Heck Luna has never been able to tie serial numbers to motor changes. Bafang even messes with the arguably biggest reseller of BBSxx series motors. Consistent support seems a farce.
There is a way around this, let me know if you haven't bypassed the login yet and I can send you instructions.

There is a way around this, let me know if you haven't bypassed the login yet and I can send you instructions.
Thanks, I retired from support services and have zero interest in these motors. I'm happy with BBSxx series and am able to flash the firmware and do all repairs with that series. But, again, THANK YOU for the offer and for helping those interested!!

Thanks, I retired from support services and have zero interest in these motors. I'm happy with BBSxx series and am able to flash the firmware and do all repairs with that series. But, again, THANK YOU for the offer and for helping those interested!!
No problem! I feel like I'm finally making progress as I was able to successfully flash new CANBUS firmware to an m600 along with removing the speed limit last night using the BESST tool and cracked software. Now if we could just get a repository of all the m620 firmware files I'd be over the moon.

No problem! I feel like I'm finally making progress as I was able to successfully flash new CANBUS firmware to an m600 along with removing the speed limit last night using the BESST tool and cracked software. Now if we could just get a repository of all the m620 firmware files I'd be over the moon.
I just swapped out my canbus motor for a uart, although I am holding onto the canbus motor, if you get access to all the firmware files and it can be programmed like the uart version i will try it

I just swapped out my canbus motor for a uart, although I am holding onto the canbus motor, if you get access to all the firmware files and it can be programmed like the uart version i will try it
CANBUS motors can’t be programmed like UART.
BESST and the current hacks/workaround, clever as they are (and they are!), limit you pretty much to:
1. Change the speed limit (which is good)
2. Change wheel size
3. Ability to update firmware to different versions, some of which increase or decrease max current/power/watts, but can not be configured like UART motors.

If you’re not in the US, you can reach out to Innotrace for a replacement controller for the Ultra anyways, while being locked into WattWagons in the US.
Luna may at some point sell their VESC-based LudiV2 controller for the M600 but right now it’s on Luna X2 only, or I believe as an upgrade for Luna X1 owners. I remain hopeful that at some point there is a ‘we sell to anyone’ improved programmable controller available on the market for both M600 and Ultras, but we’re not there yet - this would put real competition into the market, and be good for the end customers IMO. Best I can tell, I haven’t seen any
updates’ of note to the Innotrace software, while WW has people waiting going on a year for just a (unique to Innotrace) programming cable. Have seen numerous updates to the LudiV2 VESC app, but would still like an ‘open market’ option out there to push them all forward.

We’re I in the market for an(other) M600 bike right now, it would be another X2 with LudiV2 controller (I run nowhere near max), although I believe more recent Bafang M600 firmware has improved over what it used to be - would still go Ludi/VESC controller. We’re I looking for an Ultra/M620, either UART or see if a friend outside of the US can pick up a motor sourced from Innotrace. Biktrix made a minor modified firmware available to Monte Capro (at the price, especially with CANBUS, I’d be looking at both Luna Z1 and WW Hydra long before giving them the $$ for a CANBUS Ultgra bike; YMMV), but seems like very minor changes and in no way is it comparable to a ‘tuned’ UART Ultra, Ultra with Innotrace Controller, M600 with LudiV2 etc.

Back