2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
News on the dual-battery Homage models which have been held up due to the battery covers not meeting spec.
Correctly fitting battery covers for the dual-battery models have now been received in quantity, and they are completing the initial batch of the bikes that have been waiting for that single part to arrive.

Mine is part of the batch which has been built but still needed the battery covers, so it will soon be on the way stateside.
For reference, I ordered my Homage GT Rohloff (low speed) on 4 September 2020.

R&M also has what is described as a "huge airfreight shipment" going out late next week.
So, with any luck mine and hopefully a few other forum members' bikes will be arriving soon.

The only downside for me is that I am currently away from home until sometime in late March or early April.
So I will not be able to take delivery until then.

Great news, hope to hear how you all like the bikes when they get to you. That gives me hope that the production late spring will go on as planed.

Our first Homage was Nancy's 2018 Rohloff HS with the old power pack external battery, Rohloff twist manual shifter and the Fox suspension upgrade offered that year. In 2019 I ordered another Homage Rohloff HS with the E-14 shifter and the internal power tube and a second power pack piggy back on the downtube. Starting in 2019 the Fox upgrade was no longer offered on a Homage. As Nancy only rode a day or so per week and I rode almost every day, I decided two swap out suspension parts between the two bikes, putting the Fox equipment on the newer Homage I was riding. After issue with the frame, the battery cover and the Rohloff, all fixed under warranty, I decided to sell the 2019 Homage without swapping back the Fox parts. We sold it on Craigslist in three days.

Recently Nancy's bike came up needing fork and shock service as the shock would not hold its air any more, not even for a couple of hours. Rather than spend money servicing lesser suspension parts, I decided to put Fox parts back on this bike...even better parts than those that were offered by R&M. For those who want the Fox upgrade, this is a great enhancement but be careful. Consult your R&M dealer and make sure that making this change will not adversely effect your Warranty. It may be that you will have to wait for this upgrade until after your warranty expires.

These are the parts on there was to us. Instead of Fox performance level I went with Fox Factory Float with the cashmina coatings and more sophisticated rebound controls. Here are the ones I have on the way. I hope she appreciates the difference. The combined cost is around $1,200 which is about $250 more than the cost of the Fox Performance level equipment that R&M offers.

https://www.bikebling.com/Fox-32-Float-SC-Factory-FIT4-3Pos-Adj-100mm-29-Ma-p/fox20-910-20-748.htm I did get the stealth decal kit to replace the bright orange decals with the black on black version.

Fox20-910-20-748-2.jpg
Fox20-Float-DPS-3pos-2.jpg

Thrilled to report that I rode my new Homage GX Rohloff home today. Rides like a dream. Everything I hoped for, except... I can’t seem to raise the handlebar stem. My dealer says that the handlebars on the Homage can only be swivel-adjusted, not raised. Is this true? Was this the case with previous Homages?

Attachments

• 622B3EE6-0455-4A06-8BAC-90E1FB4B01CC.jpeg
    622B3EE6-0455-4A06-8BAC-90E1FB4B01CC.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 364
Thrilled to report that I rode my new Homage GX Rohloff home today. Rides like a dream. Everything I hoped for, except... I can’t seem to raise the handlebar stem. My dealer says that the handlebars on the Homage can only be swivel-adjusted, not raised. Is this true? Was this the case with previous Homages?
Congratulations! Is that the single battery version?

Our first Homage was Nancy's 2018 Rohloff HS with the old power pack external battery, Rohloff twist manual shifter and the Fox suspension upgrade offered that year. In 2019 I ordered another Homage Rohloff HS with the E-14 shifter and the internal power tube and a second power pack piggy back on the downtube. Starting in 2019 the Fox upgrade was no longer offered on a Homage. As Nancy only rode a day or so per week and I rode almost every day, I decided two swap out suspension parts between the two bikes, putting the Fox equipment on the newer Homage I was riding. After issue with the frame, the battery cover and the Rohloff, all fixed under warranty, I decided to sell the 2019 Homage without swapping back the Fox parts. We sold it on Craigslist in three days.

Recently Nancy's bike came up needing fork and shock service as the shock would not hold its air any more, not even for a couple of hours. Rather than spend money servicing lesser suspension parts, I decided to put Fox parts back on this bike...even better parts than those that were offered by R&M. For those who want the Fox upgrade, this is a great enhancement but be careful. Consult your R&M dealer and make sure that making this change will not adversely effect your Warranty. It may be that you will have to wait for this upgrade until after your warranty expires.

These are the parts on there was to us. Instead of Fox performance level I went with Fox Factory Float with the cashmina coatings and more sophisticated rebound controls. Here are the ones I have on the way. I hope she appreciates the difference. The combined cost is around $1,200 which is about $250 more than the cost of the Fox Performance level equipment that R&M offers.

https://www.bikebling.com/Fox-32-Float-SC-Factory-FIT4-3Pos-Adj-100mm-29-Ma-p/fox20-910-20-748.htm I did get the stealth decal kit to replace the bright orange decals with the black on black version.

View attachment 78327View attachment 78328
Hi,
I'm sure you already know this but just in case you overlooked it (doubtful), Fox only recommends their 34 mm and larger forks for ebikes. I called them and had a lengthy discussion with one of their tech guys when I bought mine. Turns out their ebike specific 34 mm tubes have extra thick walls to handle the weight and speed of an ebike resulting in an ID the same as their 32 mm tubes. I wanted the high-zoot coating, etc like you ordered but they don't make one in the proper config for an ebike with that spec so I ended up with this one:

Performance Series 34 FLOAT 27.5 120 GRIP 3-Position Lever 110mm Axle 1.5 T Black Ano Matte Black E-Bike Chassis 44mm rake
Part# 910-20-964

I also found an inexpensive spacer kit so I could use the standard 100 mm wide wheel in the newer spec 110 mm Boost fork.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Marc

I can't say if it was true for previous Homages, but it is my understanding that this is correct if I understand your question correctly.

You can get a little height by changing the angle on the stem, which also brings the handlebars back a little. If looking for a more upright position, it should at least do the trick. It's better than the Intuvia cockpit in that regard.

Ok I am jumping in on the fixed handlebar. This makes me re-think the size I ordered for my wife. I was told I can make changes to the order till mid Feb. I have not been able to test the size as my dealer does not have one to try. If I can not raise the handlebar to adjust the fit should I be concerned? I ordered her the small 48 size frame. she is 5'7" and 32" inseam. I was told this would be a good size and I was also told that the Med could also work. Maybe overthinking this but if I am waiting till June for the bike not looking to make a mistake. anyone have experience with this and should I change the size?

Ok I am jumping in on the fixed handlebar. This makes me re-think the size I ordered for my wife. I was told I can make changes to the order till mid Feb. I have not been able to test the size as my dealer does not have one to try. If I can not raise the handlebar to adjust the fit should I be concerned? I ordered her the small 48 size frame. she is 5'7" and 32" inseam. I was told this would be a good size and I was also told that the Med could also work. Maybe overthinking this but if I am waiting till June for the bike not looking to make a mistake. anyone have experience with this and should I change the size?
The size will be fine.

John, I'm of similar size as your wife, and I would order the 48 size. There are always some ways to fit s smaller bike but there is no way to downsize too a large one...

You see, in any case you can fit a longer seatpost and raise the stem. My gf is as tall as me but has exceptionally long legs. It turned out my M size Vado was OK for her though. I was trying Como size S and M/L. Both were good for me. Don't worry.

Looks like the R&M Adjustable stem to me, in which case it can be adjusted up and down. However, the height it's at currently in the photo is pretty close to the maximum based on my experience as the cables and rear brake hose are often not long enough to raise the bars much/any higher.

My 2018 Homage came with a fixed Ergotek stem with a strength rating of 5.
ergotec-high-charisma-ahead-stem-l5-45-25.4mm-1-lowres.jpg

I replaced it with this Ergotec adjustable stem that has the highest strength rating of 6. I had to go to starbike.de to source this as I could not find it in the USA. It is available in 80, 100, 120 &140 mm lengths.

Caution - The language in the RIese & Muller warranty is similar to that of other bike makers in that the warranty could possibly be voided by replacing a component that is not original to the bike. Damage caused by wear, neglect (failure to maintain and care for the bike), crashes, excessive strain caused by excess loads, incorrect assembly and handling or any changes to the bike (attachment or conversion of additional components) is not covered by this warranty.

P1033115.jpg
s-l500 (3).jpg

P1033103 (1).jpg

this is the version I have on my Delite Mountain. It is only available in 100mm length but the cutaway version is very cool looking and does save some weight. It does cost more.
se.jpg

My 2018 Homage came with a fixed Ergotek stem with a strength rating of 5.
View attachment 79275
I replaced it with this Ergotec adjustable stem that has the highest strength rating of 6. I had to go to starbike.de to source this as I could not find it in the USA. It is available in 80, 100, 120 &140 mm lengths.

View attachment 79266View attachment 79277
View attachment 79268

this is the version I have on my Delite Mountain. It is only available in 100mm length but the cutaway version is very cool looking and does save some weight. It does cost more.
View attachment 79278
Ooooh! Alaskan for the win! That's the best looking/functioning adjustable stem I've ever seen. Goin in my bookmarks right now. Thank you.

View attachment 78327View attachment 78328
Do report back please @Alaskan on how your wife noticed/enjoyed the different ride. The 2021 Homage would be the perfect bike for my wife with Fox. She very much prefers her Homage to my bike, except she loves my Fox suspension.

Back