2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

High Country Rail Trail, Victoria, Australia …
hc_23_b.jpg

Rail trails provide such interesting windows on the past. These derelict freight wagons were abandoned at Huon forty years ago when the old Cudgewa Line ceased operating.

Tomorrow we'll ride down the High Country Rail Trail to take a look at the green and yellow passenger 'railmotor' which can be seen in the distance beyond the goods shed.

Last edited by a moderator:
New bike bag day: front to rear: Swift Industries Cascade Paloma Handlebar Bag, homemade frame bag (thanks Mom!), Swift Industries Cascade Bandito. Not shown: my Lezyne pump will now be mounted to the front rack.

jrs1kOYsQYu7aftEKutVmw.jpgr1A4Z344TJu5tajo5FYLBw.jpg

Minutes after these photos were taken I skidded the bike into the berm.

Abandoned Railmotors at Huon, Victoria, AU …
walker_railmotor.jpg

I came across these railmotors on the High Country Rail Trail, where like the freight wagons above, they had been abandoned as casualties to more efficient road transport.

In the early 1950s, when I had to make do with steam trains and double-decker buses, the Walkers provided a breathtaking glimpse of the future in rural Victoria. A central power unit contained two diesel motors and to it were attached the passenger coaches, first and second classes neatly separated. Drivers at each end communicated by tooting out coded signals on their horns!

Very cool. What a great place you live in Dave! That would be a homeless camp here in the US, complete with a bicycle chop shop out back.

Very cool. What a great place you live in Dave! That would be a homeless camp here in the US, complete with a bicycle chop shop out back.

Or, off grid survivalist cult. With the odd Hells Angel (now retired). We in UK had very similar 50-60's diesel trains (local shunters) even had the same chevron markings on the front.

I ride over this little bridge every morning and afternoon. It overlooks a small creek and pond that sometimes - but rarely - opens to the sea. I always stop and make a photograph. These are from the past 4 weeks.

IMG_2959 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2959 2.jpg
    IMG_2959 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 447
  • IMG_3234 2.jpg
    IMG_3234 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 415
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 435
Parched land and a dry creek …
Cooragook Trestle Bridge on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

• The Cooragook Trestle Bridge on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.
  • Almost no rain fell during spring or summer and the land is parched, the dry grass and eucalypts just waiting to be ignited into a wildfire by a spark from a passing steam locomotive (long gone!).
  • I'd ridden only 9.5 km and my ebike was so coated in dust that it had changed colour from black to brown!
Ride : 27 km / 2019 : 3068 km

Parched land and a dry creek …
View attachment 30689
  • The Cooragook Trestle Bridge on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.
  • Almost no rain fell during spring or summer and the land is parched, the dry grass and eucalypts just waiting to ignited into a wildfire by a spark from a passing steam locomotive (long gone!).
  • I'd ridden only 9.5 km and my ebike was so coated in dust that it had changed colour from black to brown!
Ride : 27 km / 2019 : 3068 km
Did you ride over that bridge? Looks a little nerve wracking.

Those are great, solid looking bikes. Please post a report on their performance and build quality. I have a buddy who is quite interested.
Only about a dozen rides so far but as a life long cyclist and someone who apreciates a well built bike, they seem to be a terrific bike for just about anything short of stump jumping. I want to try them on some old logging roads and see how they handle that. I can test my recently acquired Thudbuster seat post as well. The bikes aren't designed for off roading and the front shock is pretty minimal but the tires are nice and fat, and if I let a little air out, I should be good.

First big ride on my Giant Quick-E+. Followed the Murray to the Mountains rail trail - https://www.ridehighcountry.com.au/rail-trails/murray-to-mountains/

Started in Wangaratta and finished in picturesque Bright at the foot of the Victorian alpine area. Was quite a warm day, with temps hitting mid 30s during the trek.

Couple of snaps, need to work on my photography skills :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 2.34.47 pm.png IMG_2515.jpg IMG_2513.jpg IMG_2507.jpg

Really enjoyed the ride, stopped off in Myrtleford for lunch with my support crew (faithful wife).

Stayed in Beechworth over night and then hit the local MTB park on my Giant Trance-E 3 Pro for a few laps before heading home. An enjoyable long weekend!

First big ride on my Giant Quick-E+.
Matt …
That's a fine-looking rail trail! I'd love to breeze down there on those comfy G-One tyres! Your fabulous bike has some intriguing extras – Fidlock, Quad Lock, Cycliq – which I'm sure we'd all like to know about.
… David

Back