2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

The Pig's Curly Tail Cycle Bridge across the Gateway Motorway, Brisbane …
View attachment 31860
It's not as challenging as the gliders' bridge across the motorway (photo above)! Normally, I prefer to avoid cycleways alongside motorways, but it's good to had them in addition to the more scenic routes. Photo taken at 34 km (see map).

I'll post a photo of a pleasanter suburban greenway tomorrow.

Ride : 80 km / 2019 : 4473 km
I'm Jealous ! ??

The Curly-Wurly Pig's Tail Cycle Bridge across the Gateway Motorway, Brisbane …
View attachment 31860
It's not as challenging as the gliders' bridge across the motorway (photo above)! Normally, I prefer to avoid cycleways alongside motorways, but it's good to have them in addition to the more scenic routes. There is a general expectation that all motorways in urban areas should have associated cycleways. This is part of Australia's Highway One, the route with neither beginning nor end (It's a circuit).

Photo taken at 34 km (see map).

Like the M25 that circles London - Once on, there's no getting off!

Once on, there's no getting off!
To get an idea of scale: Brisbane to Sydney is approximately 1000 km.
In the spirit of inclusiveness, Tasmania's main road is also designated Highway One.
2019_04_05_highway_one.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Curly-Wurly Pig's Tail Cycle Bridge across the Gateway Motorway, Brisbane …
View attachment 31860
It's not as challenging as the gliders' bridge across the motorway (photo above)! Normally, I prefer to avoid cycleways alongside motorways, but it's good to have them in addition to the more scenic routes. There is a general expectation that all motorways in urban areas should have associated cycleways. This is part of Australia's Highway One, the route with neither beginning nor end (It's a circuit).

Photo taken at 34 km (see map).

Like the M25 that circles London - Once on, there's no getting off!
To get an idea of scale: Brisbane to Sydney is approximately 1000 km.
In the spirit of inclusiveness, Tasmania's main road is also designated Highway One.
View attachment 31863

I love Tassie Dave, have a house outside Hobart (Fort Lauderdale) Soooo much like Scotland.

Kedron Brook Greenway, Brisbane …
2019_04_05_28_a.jpg

• Narrower path for pedestrians; wider path for ebikers and the unconverted.
  • This is the bikeway on which I punctured a Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyre – the 'impossible' happens sometimes.
  • Map : photo at 62 km – the GPS track clearly shows where I walked up the slope, and then decided to move the bike a bit!

Shorncliffe Pier from Lovers Walk, Moreton Bay Cycleway, Brisbane …
2019_04_05_06_a.jpg

• This is from the same Friday ride as the last two photos (22 km on map – faffing around for a photo position is obvious; isn't GPS tracking astounding!).
  • I was so put off by the strong onshore wind – not pleasant on the exposed Ted Smout Viaduct (post #36 on page #2) – so I turned around and just took myself off to visit almost forgotten routes from road cycling days.
  • The clouds are over the warm East Australian Current – a continuation of the South Equatorial Current and the, slightly exaggerated, marine superhighway that Pixar employed to transport their clownfish hero Nemo to Sydney.

View from the Bicentennial Bikeway, Brisbane …

2019-04-09-kurilpa.jpg

• Today's ride brought me back through the central Brisbane – almost zero interaction with cars and trucks and all things that belch unpleasant pollutants thanks to a superb cycle network.
  • You can see the Bicentennial Bikeway (from which this photo was taken) just above river level on the left.
  • Its right bank complement (we are looking downstream) can be glimpsed as it slips under the extraordinary Kurilpa Bridge.
  • The building on the right is the Gallery of Modern Art. The World Turns (the elephant sculpture already featured) is amongst the trees beyond the bridge.
  • Photo taken at 83.2 km, looking SE.
Ride : 104 km / 2019 : 4579 km

View from Mount Coot-tha …
2019_04_09_mt_coot_tha.jpg

• Looking east from Mount Coot-tha towards Brisbane CBD. On the horizon are islands separating Moreton Bay from the Coral Sea (Pacific Ocean).
  • Photo was taken at 19.7 km into ride – switch to Satellite view on map (shows umbrella reveals my track for a very short distance in the wrong direction up a one-way route).
  • Brisbane River (visible centre right) flows towards our left before looping around 'behind' the CBD before heading for Moreton Bay 'above' (and far beyond) the umbrella.

Lake Cootharaba, Noosa River, Queensland …
2017_05_27_kalkhoff_aa.jpg

Camac …
I notice Noosa marked on your Australia map (just north of Brisbane), so I'll use that as an excuse to include this photo from two years ago when my first ebike was new. (I'm limited to one new ebike per year.)
… David

Ride : 43 km / 2017 : 6071 km

Country Pub, Rosewood, Queensland …
2019_04_12_rising_sun.jpg

As it was 10:40 am and I was only 19 km into the ride, it seemed a trifle early to join the locals for a schooner or three at the Rising Sun Hotel.

Ride : 77 km / 2019 : 4895 km

View from Evans Hill to the Great Dividing Range (Southeast Queensland) …
2019_04_17_great_divide.jpg

• Photo taken at 24 km – close to Tallegalla Cemetery but looking south rather than north.
  • Compare with post 278 on page 14 which was taken in August (four months later) from farmland down on the plain.

Ride : 63 km / 2019 : 5103 km

Back