2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

Deception Bay (part of Moreton Bay) …
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
I previously mentioned the Moreton Bay Cycleway (here it is!) and the public facilities beside it (here they are!).

Photo is at the turnaround point for this ride – 49.9 km if you wish to find it on the map. Bribie Island is on the horizon; the entrance to Moreton Bay is further east (our right).

It was midday when I stopped here, so the shadows were cast directly south.

STOP IT David. It's throwing down here.

A long day out: 1 short ride & 2 long drives …
2019_05_10_43_aaa.jpg

Two-thirds of my rides are on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail – it's just two minutes from home! If I turn right from where I join, it's just 7 km to its start; turn left and it's 154 km to its terminus. Today I turned left.

The trail is long and the upper section is a two-hour drive from home. I drove six times as far as I rode!

Photo: Among the grass trees & eucalypts near trail's end at Yarraman.

Ride : 51 km (car : 306 km) / 2019 : 6011 km

Last edited by a moderator:
Nukku Dairy Farm: Childhood Home of a Sporting Legend …
2019_05_10_emmo_a.jpg

One of the world’s sporting greats hails from Blackbutt near the end of the BVRT. Like many small country towns, Blackbutt has a local hero – Roy Emerson, winner of 28 tennis Majors (12 singles and 16 doubles).

In the 1930s the Emerson family were dairy farmers in Nukku (population: negligible) and their young son, Roy, was put to work milking cows – good strengthening exercise for the wrists and forearms, apparently.

The Emersons had a tennis court on their farm and the young Roy was soon Blackbutt’s junior tennis champion… his career had begun! Years later, reality hit home as he was bundled out of the Australian tennis championships in the first round; but, of course, he didn’t give up.

Photo taken about 10 minutes after previous photo.

Blackbutt, QLD : Roy Emerson Statue & Nukku Station …
2019_05_10_emmo_blackbutt.jpg

The local hero commemorated alongside the rail trail. The steel enclosure beyond the statue is a holding pen for horses that share our trail.

Roy Emerson's Career Grand Slam (12 singles titles covering all Majors):
  • Australian: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967
  • French: 1963, 1967
  • Wimbledon: 1964, 1965
  • US: 1961, 1964
Emmo’s Career Grand Slam tally was eventually surpassed by Pete Sampras in 2000.

Roy Emerson is also the only male player – alongside five women – to hold a Career Grand Slam in both singles and doubles. (He had even greater success in men's doubles!)

And it all started on a farm tennis court alongside the old rail line which is has been transformed from rails to trail. Ah, the things one stumbles across on an ebike ride!

Roy Emerson, now 82, lives in Newport Beach, California.

A Ride with Rob …
2019_05_21_woody_point.jpg

Today was special: a day out on ebikes with my brother, Rob!

On our trip along the Moreton Bay Cycleway, we paused – for much-needed sustenance – at Woody Point on Bramble Bay.
Photo at 32 km (see map).

Ride : 82 km / 2019 : 6448 km

David, This is such a fantastic thread. Your photography is outstanding. It makes me want to visit Brisbane. You should partner with the local visitor and tourist bureau to publish a photo book with your ride photos and commentary. A better ambassador to the world for cycling in Brisbane could not be dreamed up by the best advert man.

Bucolic Countryside & Washboard Roads …
2019_05_26_m_2.jpg

2019-05-26-washboard-ebr.jpg

Despite the Trek's wide tyres and Thudbuster seat post to soften the corrugations, this country road would surely have been the place to pay homage to Riese & Müller's inimitable Control Technology suspension system. Next week, perhaps.

Ride : 44 km / 2019 : 6582 km

Thank you for posting wonderful photos and commentary. Is there a reason you choose one bike over the other when planning a ride?

Early morning (left at 5.30 am) ride around Essex. Road and Gravel on the CCS.

Very tempted to get a CCX as the CCS in eco mode is too powerful on narrow paths.

Attachments

• DC21061C-46A5-44FA-B8F2-E9715DB3CEAD.jpeg
    DC21061C-46A5-44FA-B8F2-E9715DB3CEAD.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 432
  • C3C6311F-5EB6-4D80-BC33-D3672909A13C.jpeg
    C3C6311F-5EB6-4D80-BC33-D3672909A13C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 418
  • 1353FD2A-8AEE-41D4-9597-129E68069659.jpeg
    1353FD2A-8AEE-41D4-9597-129E68069659.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 408
Is there a reason you choose one bike over the other when planning a ride?
David …
I enjoy riding both ebikes. With twice the battery capacity, the Homage is the obvious choice for longer rides but I try to keep the total distances ridden about equal (around 5000 km each for now).
Early morning (left at 5.30 am) ride around Essex.
Rexel …
Your first photo is beautifully evocative rural places in southern England – lush green vegetation right to the water's edge and a path for walkers and, I trust, cyclists right alongside. Memories from times long past.

A rare sight… falling autumn leaves in Brisbane.
2019_06_07_rsp_01_a.jpg

Roma Street Parkland, Brisbane, Queensland. More concerning the name 'Roma' to follow.

Ride : 102 km / 2019 : 7008 km

Nepalese Peace Pagoda, South Bank Parklands, Brisbane …
2019_06_07_np_01_aa.jpg

The Peace Pagoda, modelled on the temple beside Kathmandu's sacred Bagmati River (below), is all that remains of the scores of international exhibits that made up World Expo 88 which was held in Brisbane three decades ago.

Other scenes from my third (probably final) trip to Nepal:
  • puncture repair shop,
  • a tricycle taxi beside a not-too-safe building,
  • dozens and dozens of fresh eggs being delivered (ebike = egg-bike?).
kathmandu_collage.jpg

Reduced for quick sale?
2019_06_09_lowood_house_01aa.jpg

It's been sitting there for so long that I expect to see it on 'Satellite View' soon.

The first house that Jen and I owned (1975) was a removal house of this vintage – and not too far from where this photo was taken. Our house, from an old area of Brisbane that was being redeveloped, had been sawn in half before transport. I think we might have noticed if the side verandah had been mislaid at a holding site en route!

Ride : 68 km / 2019 : 7076 km

Almost there …
2019_06_11_sundowner_a.jpg

All roads lead to Roma?

Well, not really; Queensland’s Roma has a Greek rather than an Italian heritage, and takes its name from the beloved Contessa Diamantina di Roma – from the United States of the Ionian Islands (of all places!) – who was married to the man who became Queensland’s first colonial governor.

And Darwin?

It was named by the great scientist’s shipboard friend, John Wickham, who really should have been the colony’s first governor (he lacked nobility) rather than Diamantina’s husband Sir George Bowen (who obviously had it).

Ride : 81 km / 2019 : 7158 km

Heavy rain forecast until Friday, with risk of flooding (stuck under none moving low coming across North Sea from Scandinavia) so my next few days rides, will be around the snooker table. Preparing for the new season, that starts late September. Just off too? Break Off

Attachments

• 20190217_125802-1-1-1-1_resized.jpg
    20190217_125802-1-1-1-1_resized.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 394
Almost there …
View attachment 34127
All roads lead to Roma?

Well, not really; Queensland’s Roma has a Greek rather than an Italian heritage, and takes its name from the beloved Contessa Diamantina di Roma – from the United States of the Ionian Islands (of all places!) – who was married to the man who became Queensland’s first colonial governor.

And Darwin?

It was named by the great scientist’s shipboard friend, John Wickham, who really should have been the colony’s first governor (he lacked nobility) rather than Diamantina’s husband Sir George Bowen (who obviously had it).

Ride : 81 km / 2019 : 7158 km

Dave Barry, Great photos. How to you get your photos to show enlarged after posting them? Mine tend to display in a smaller size.

Back