2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

You appear to be on track to reach 16,000 km (10,000 miles) this year. I am curious as to what camera you are using.
Richard, I wondered whether anyone would do the conversion of my end-of-June total!

Actually, the second day of July is the mid-point of the year (182 days before and 182 days after). We'll have to see what the second half of 2019 brings. I'm now taking Jen to spend three days per week at the dementia respite cottage (she's cared for so gently) and that gives me an opportunity to go ride somewhere other than from home.

Almost all photos are taken on my old iPhone 6 (2014 is prehistoric on Planet Apple?).
David

Last edited by a moderator:
A railtrail waiting to happen?
2019_07_05_rt_tree.jpg

Ride : 77 km / 2019 : 8352 km

Mud Down Under …
2019_07_08_mud_a.jpg

Why I need to fit mudflaps! Clearly, the culprit is the front wheel; hardly a speck on the pedals (not so after I got back on after taking the photo!).

Ride : 91 km / 2019 : 8443 km

In from the sea …
2019_07_12_newstead_a.jpg

Clearly, it's laundry day on the schooner which has just pulled in from the Pacific. Upstream from it is a CityCat ferry travelling at high speed but producing almost no wash.

Beyond the furthest yacht on the right is a area of parkland (grounds of Newstead House – info later). If you look carefully, you'll see a sandstone pillar to the left of the last yacht's mast (a war memorial to US involvement in the Coral Sea battles of WW2) and, to the right, a very large plaque next to the cycle path naming this riverside area 'Lyndon B Johnson Place' (LBJ served in Queensland in 1942 and revisited, as president, in 1966).

Photo at 51 km (Cameron Rocks)
Ride : 109 km / 2019 : 8729 km

The Old Woolstore, Teneriffe …
2019_07_12_woolshed_aaa.jpg

In the whimsical sculpture remembering the wool trade of a century ago, Gloria the ewe urges 'the hubby' (her term) to report the arrival of a steamer to take their fleece to the UK.

Beyond them is an old wool press and behind that one of the warehouses which were requisitioned by the navy during WW2 to be used as barracks and HQ for Allied submariners. See earlier post.

During the last twenty years the area has become a riverside residential area. The cargo and submarine wharves have been replaced by broad walking and cycling paths. Location: distant left of previous photo taken on the same ride – at 56 km on map.

Rab, don't you have summer school holidays going on at the moment? Autumn for you very shortly then? And yet!!! Recall being in Bridge of Aaron one late October, Only place in UK having an Indian Summer.
Yes indeed, almost 3 weeks into the "summer" holidays here but it doesn't feel like summer! Its hard to define seasons here but hopefully summer will come back...I don't recall many warm October days so I guess you got lucky :D

Usually the highest spot in town …
2019_07_20_tv9_500_a.jpg

• Channel 9 TV Tower, Mount Coot-tha, Brisbsne.
  • Trivia: Mount Coot-tha is not only a mountain (sorta, anyway) but a suburb of Brisbane with an official (2016 Census) population of zero. Beat that!
  • To take the photo, I held my iPhone against the ground and clicked without really knowing what would be included. On the fifth attempt the tower was properly framed – but only just!

Back