2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

A special bridge for the university …

Jaxx
Evocative photos! I miss the old buildings of England (left in 1969 and still not returned!). Strangely, the oldest building in Australia, Cooks' Cottage, was built in Yorkshire in the mid-1750s – young James was away at sea by then – and 180 years later disassembled and shipped to Melbourne where it stands to this day.
David[/QUOTE

DB. Was in Whitby last week. Only just over an hour from where I live. Apart from been famous as home of Cook and Dracula, it has best "fish n chips" restaurant in UK - Magpies. They queue outside for awhile to get a seat.

Riding has been sparse in Peoria this winter, but was in a good location today.

Attachments

• ruffian castle.JPG
    ruffian castle.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 468
Holden FJ Club …
2019_02_17_02_holden_a.jpg

Today I met up with these restored beauties from the mid-1950s on my Sunday ride to Lake Manchester. They rumbled past me earlier but by chance we chose to stop for a morning tea break at the same place (Kholo Gardens, 53 km on map). The FJ is the iconic mass-produced all-Australian car and enjoys a place in the hearts of Australians in much the same way as the Model T from an earlier motoring era did in the US.

Trip : 68 km / 2019 : 1958 km

Looking forward to getting out again on the bike today. Unfortunately, feeling effects of very hilly first ride of year yesterday (none ebike) so decided to pursue my other love and, get some practice in for upcoming tournament.

Attachments

• 20190217_125802-1-1-1-1_resized.jpg
    20190217_125802-1-1-1-1_resized.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 411
Redcliffe Peninsula, Moreton Bay Cycleway, Queensland …
2019-02-18-scarborough.jpg

Scarborough Boat Harbour

2019-02-18-tree-tunnel.jpg

There has been a terrible drought in Queensland which is why old tunnel tree is no longer green and about to collapse. The tree featured in post #23 page 2 of this thread has collapsed and the Moreton Bay figs are all drought-ravaged.
Ride : 95 km / 2019 : 2052 km

Last edited by a moderator:
Leo Hielscher Bridges, Brisbane River …
2019_02_15_33_aaaa.jpg

This is the final river crossing before the Brisbane River enters Moreton Bay. Each bridge carries six lanes of traffic and the newer northbound (closer) bridge has a dedicated cycle and pedestrian path with pleasant rest and viewing areas.

Container vessels berth at the Port of Brisbane which is downstream (direction of tugboat) but cruise liners dock upstream in the city – with passengers gawking at the arches almost close enough to touch. The bridges were designed to provide barely sufficient clearance for all liners (at least 55 m below the main arch) without intruding on airspace surrounding Brisbane Airport (highest light pole no more than 80 m) – a very tight squeeze for the designers!

The most spectacular 'craft' to have been guided beneath the bridges by the tugboats was not the Queen Mary 2 (last year) or even the world's fleet of tall-masted full-rigged sailing ships (1988 Australian Bicentenary) but hundreds of metres of concrete – the Riverwalk floating cycleway washed downstream after being lifted off its securing pylons in the January 2011 floods.

Trip : 102 km / 2019 : 2182 km

Old-Style Queensland Homes – #4 of 4 …
2019-02-23_qlder.jpg

Most of my rides take me through the semi-rural suburbs of greater Brisbane. Many Australians’ dream home is set on 'acreage' in 'the bush' and, in subtropical Queensland, a favourite style of home is a modern version of the classic Queenslander – a house built on stumps to keep it well clear of the ground and surrounded by wide verandas on several sides. A white picket fence separating a pristine green lawn from the 'gum trees' beyond is favoured.

Photo at 43.2 km; Blackwall Road / Aura Crescent, Chuwar. Use Satellite or Street View to get an idea of the roads that I often ride.

Ride : 64 km / 2019 : 2246 km

Had a great early morning ride today out into Essex.
39 miles on the CCS, all on eco mode, legs aching but was lovely out

Attachments

• 301D384E-AE43-44BD-8466-B848A0F7E188.jpeg
    301D384E-AE43-44BD-8466-B848A0F7E188.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 465
  • 3987EE2F-35F3-474F-8911-EF4E4A2AF3C3.jpeg
    3987EE2F-35F3-474F-8911-EF4E4A2AF3C3.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 430
Ride : 64 km / 2019 : 2246 km Wow Dave you certainly have been racking up the riding distance so far this year. You must be loving your new ride. You do live in a nearly ideal climate for biking. I am only at 1542 km thus far but we had snow and/or ice on the roads for about half the days this month.

Ride : 64 km / 2019 : 2246 km Wow Dave you certainly have been racking up the riding distance so far this year. You must be loving your new ride. You do live in a nearly ideal climate for biking. I am only at 1542 km thus far but we had snow and/or ice on the roads for about half the days this month.

Still good going though Alaskan, giving your location.

Hairy and Scary …
2019_02_26_05_c.jpg

I came across this line of processionary caterpillars 20 km into my morning ride today. Nose-to-tail, they followed a communal silken thread that was about twenty metres long – a total of four or five hundred individuals, not that individuality is considered a particularly commendable trait among Ochrogaster lunifer (click for Wikipedia info).

These beasties pack a venom which deters predators and will cause severe skin irritation among humans, especially children who cannot resist the temptation of coaxing them into a circle to see them march to nowhere – an enterprise usually accompanied by shrieks and howls of agony. Hairy caterpillars are best left alone.

Ride : 73 km / 2019 : 2420 km

A tangle of four bridges, Indooroopilly, QLD, AU …
indooroopilly_bridges.jpg

1. Jack Pesch Bridge (1998) – pedestrian & cycle cable-stayed bridge – foreground
  2. Albert Bridge (1895) – steel truss rail bridge – hogsback arches
  3. Indooroopilly Railway Bridge (1957) – steel truss rail bridge – horizontal top
  4. Walter Taylor Bridge (1937) – suspension road bridge – dipping suspension cables
Trip : 102 km / 2019 : 2744 km

Old-Style Queensland Homes – #4 of 4 …
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
Most of my rides take me through the semi-rural suburbs of greater Brisbane. Many Australians’ dream home is set on 'acreage' in 'the bush' and, in subtropical Queensland, a favourite style of home is a modern version of the classic Queenslander – a house built on stumps to keep it well clear of the ground and surrounded by wide verandas on several sides. A white picket fence separating a pristine green lawn from the 'gum trees' beyond is favoured.

Photo at 43.2 km; Blackwall Road / Aura Crescent, Chuwar. Use Satellite or Street View to get an idea of the roads that I often ride.

Ride : 64 km / 2019 : 2246 km
I dare say you are probably one of the better advertisements for your country. Wonderful photos and great rides.

Hairy and Scary …
View attachment 30267
I came across this line of processionary caterpillars 20 km into my morning ride today. Nose-to-tail, they followed a communal silken thread that was about twenty metres long – a total of four or five hundred individuals, not that individuality is considered a particularly commendable trait among Ochrogaster lunifer (click for Wikipedia info).

These beasties pack a venom which deters predators and will cause severe skin irritation among humans, especially children who cannot resist the temptation of coaxing them into a circle to see them march to nowhere – an enterprise usually accompanied by shrieks and howls of agony. Hairy caterpillars are best left alone.

Ride : 73 km / 2019 : 2420 km
Hairy and scary............that is phrase usually used in reference to moi.....

Brisbane River and the Go Between Bridge …
2019-03-05-gbb.jpg

Brisbane is a city dominated by its river. Fortunately for cyclists there are twin trails along its city banks and these are linked by eight bridges with dedicated cycle/pedestrian paths fully separated from motor vehicles.

The Go Between Bridge (named after a 1980s Brisbane indie rock group) has a 3.6 metre wide cycle path on one side and a similar pedestrian path on the other. Cyclists and pedestrians are kept well apart not only to separate us from texting dog-walkers but to ease the pedestrians' gradient (equity requirements) by including zig-zags at either end of the bridge.

Trip : 59 km / 2019 : 2849 km

Back