2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

Old-style Queensland homes – #2 of 4 …
2019_01_16_11_c.jpg
Clarendon, SE Queensland – near the Lockyer Creek trestle bridge already featured.
Trip : 64 km (Photo at 32 km; choose 'Satellite' to see house and cars.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Old-style Queensland homes – #3 of 4 …
2019_01_13_02_b.jpg

This is a classic 'Queenslander' built in 1914. All Queenslanders – even modern versions (next photo in series) – are set on 'stumps' with a large open area below the house to aid cooling. This example is on a steep slope overlooking the Brisbane River so the stumps and open area are out of sight. Queenslanders are always surrounded by wide covered verandas (cooling again) and have a steeply pitched roof over the main part of the house to shed torrential rain and to provide further insulation above the ceiling.

Restored Queenslanders like this one in Riverside Drive, Ipswich, are often opened as B&Bs that are invariably described by their owners as 'lovingly restored to their former glory'. Cliches and the accessibility ramp aside, I must admit to being captivated by this home's classic charm.

What is missing in the perfect return to its 1914 state is all evidence of what occurred during the century since then. Gone are the 1930s light fittings together with all evidence of that 1950s renovation. As many layers of paint as the house has seen decades have been stripped away. The concrete stumps from the 1970s have been replaced with 'authentic' timber stumps treated with twenty-first century chemicals. And so on… in short, Queenslanders in pristine condition are isolated in a moment of history, robbed of their palimpsest of the toil of generations.

Photo location : 51 km on map (Satellite view shows house).

Trip : 51 km / 2019 : 1537 km

Charming indeed. Lots of exterior doors. Are there no interior doors? On the left side is just one window. Not terribly light inside, I would guess better to keep cool.

ON another note, does your new bike with e14 have the same width grips on both sides of the handlebar rather than the right hand on narrower to accommodate the manual, rotary shifter? Do you find yourself always riding with two batteries or do you leave one home when you know you are going on a shorter ride?

Charming indeed. Lots of exterior doors. Are there no interior doors? On the left side is just one window. Not terribly light inside, I would guess better to keep cool.
Interiors were simple – a central passageway with, perhaps, two rooms on either side. A separate storage room with kitchen was often outside but connected to the veranda.

This is what the houses would have looked like in the late 1800s or early 1900s…
queenslander_c.jpg

Sharing the road to Mount Glorious …
2019_02_11_comp.jpg

• Mount Nebo Road, Brisbane Forest Park.
  • Photos taken near midpoint of route (obscured Route 31 symbol); view looking NE towards Strathpine.
  • A very hilly ride – perfect ebike territory! Map.
2019_02_11_map_profile.jpg

Ride : 77 km / 2019 : 1672 km

McAfees Lookout, D'Aguilar Range, Queensland …
2019_02_11_10_mcafees.jpg

• On the way to Mount Glorious.
  • The previous wide view photo was taken from here, looking to our right.

@ David Berry It looks like you are having a great time on your adventures, love your pictures and I'm very jealous of your weather :p You sure are racking up the km :D

Sharing the road to Mount Glorious …

• Mount Nebo Road, Brisbane Forest Park.
  • Photos taken near midpoint of route (obscured Route 31 symbol); view looking NE towards Strathpine.
  • A very hilly ride – perfect ebike territory! Map.

Ride : 77 km / 2019 : 1672 km

Fantastic!
I spent 3 months at the University of Queensland back in 2012. I wish we had such great eBikes back then, would have made my stay lot more enjoyable.
David, through you, we get an opportunity to virtually experience the beauty of Queensland.

Still waiting on Obrea Gain. We have an early Spring here in UK (70f) today. So decided to grab one of my road bikes and go out for the first time this year. Wonderful fulfilling ride of 31 miles. Places of interest I rode by. Beverley Minister (East Yorkshire) looking magnificent and pastoral in the late Winter sun. The other church is on the Dalton Estate (South Dalton) Seven miles East of Beverley.

Attachments

• 20190216_123758_resized[17].jpg
    20190216_123758_resized[17].jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 434
  • 20190216_123551_resized[21].jpg
    20190216_123551_resized[21].jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 418
  • 20190216_133938_resized[15].jpg
    20190216_133938_resized[15].jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 20190216_133921_resized[16].jpg
    20190216_133921_resized[16].jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 432
A special bridge for the university …
Beverley Minister (East Yorkshire) looking magnificent and pastoral in the late Winter sun. The other church is on the Dalton Estate (South Dalton) Seven miles East of Beverley.
Jaxx
Evocative photos! I miss the old buildings of England (left in 1969 and still not returned!). Strangely, the oldest building in Australia, Cooks' Cottage, was built in Yorkshire in the mid-1750s – young James was away at sea by then – and 180 years later disassembled and shipped to Melbourne where it stands to this day.
David

David, You are talking about my childhood hero...actually he still is my idea of a hero and a leader. I read Alan Villiers' biography of James Cook as a lad and have spent much of my life, both at work and at play, on the water traversing waters explored by the Admiralty with places named by Cook, and Vancouver and some by Juan de Fuca, Alexander Baranof and people who did not have a written language. 12 years in the '70s and '80s commercial fishing from California to Alaska, then the past 25 years as owner/Captain of a charter yacht in Alaska, British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest.

That is the only downside of this new cycling obsession; it keeps me off the water...but it also keeps me far more fit.

Back