2015 Bionx D500 -- instantly engage?

briantd

Howdy -- I've got a Bionx S350 DX. One of the peculiarities of this motor is that I need to get up to 2-3mph before it'll engage. My wife's Ezee doesn't have this "feature", and is thus far better suited for starting uphill with 2 kids in tow.

Does the recently released D500 also have this limitation?

I don't have a Bionx but I understand why they have that feature, and it's a good one.. A low powered motor can easily be stalled from a dead start if there's a lot of load eg up hill or lots of weight.. By overcoming that initial intertia with human power, you are saving the controller fets from burnout, and extending the life of the batteries and the motor.

If you're struggling to start, have you tried standing on the pedals and pumping for just a few seconds? That's what I do.. It becomes second nature once you get used to it.

on intersection I 'try' to make it a habit that I shift into the easier gears so that my start from standstill is more fluid.

I Just had my new BionX 48V battery installed and the dealer tweaked a setting called "Miles ph to engage." The battery comes preset at a longer engage trigger - I think 2 mph. The dealer said he always tweaks this setting downward to engage at .5 mph, so you get more thrust sooner, and don't have to work so hard to get your bike moving from a dead stop. I test drove the bike set to engage at .5 mph, and it worked great.

Unfortunately, unlike some of the other settings on the BionX battery, there is not a code that you can use to program this setting on your own. So you'd have to take your battery and controller into a dealer and have them change this setting.

The other code I find really helpful to improve thrust is 0008 which sets the "Acceleration Gain", a setting that ranges from 1.0 to 4.0. This you can adjust on your own. If you are climbing big hills or pulling a heavy load, I highly recommend setting this to 3.0 or higher. It makes a huge difference.

Actually, try code 3776, which another post lists as "speed to engage." This might be the same setting as the one the dealer adjusted for me. Again, bring it down to .5 mph and see if that helps. See the post below with all the BionX codes.

Back