WattWagon Ultimate Commuter Pro (UCP) in depth review

Can you get readings using both methods to coincide with any consistency? I haven't had much success but our bikes aren't going to Mars so I guess close is good enough:)

I rely more on the tool than the app. Are you mentioned earlier, the plucking of the belt is an art. I am fairly close with both now, after having done a lot of these. However if there is an option, the physical tool is a lot more accurate.

This is because the oil in the hub has different viscosity. You need to change the oil proportion if you are leaving your bike in very cold condition.
Here is what Rohloff recommends:

Read more here: https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/faqs

View attachment 46880

View attachment 46881

Ok that note is from 2002 and it said the other would no longer be supplied, so shouldn't it now come with the all weather oil, and if it doesn't then that is something Watt Wagons needs to fix for the North American market for their fat bike which will be ridden in snow.

Ok that note is from 2002 and it said the other would no longer be supplied, so shouldn't it now come with the all weather oil, and if it doesn't then that is something Watt Wagons needs to fix for the North American market for their fat bike which will be ridden in snow.

The FAQ is current and this fact (oil ratio) is known for Rohloff users.

Reactions: Ayl
We have gone as low as 10F with the CrossTour with the all weather oil with no noticeable problems in shifting. If some moisture freezes overnight around the shifter, users may feel some shifter stiffness. The cables contract is noticeable going from 60F to 10F, and the overall shifting will be a tad stiffer / crisper. That is to be expected.

Rohloff provides us the hubs ready to go, including the oil in it. https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/maintenance. I will keep a look out if other issues come up.

Reactions: Ayl
Customers are riding with no problems in in montreal, colorado, vancouver BC, wisconsin, vermont, Idaho. One of those may be closer to North Dakota temp range.

I've used the W/W at -15 C without problems. I'm in Canada. The bike works fine it's me that has issues.

I should add that I'm still using the oil in the IGH that the bike was delivered with. I store the bike in a heated garage and the batteries in my house.

Last edited:
Customers are riding with no problems in in montreal, colorado, vancouver BC, wisconsin, vermont, Idaho. One of those may be closer to North Dakota temp range.
Hello!

I sent an email, perhaps you missed it? Crazy winter here, spring in March, unheard of. No snow or safe ice.

I have now mounted the new larger 60 tooth front sprocket and 125 tooth belt. Happily it has not significantly affected my ability to ride without electrical assist, even while towing if not up large hills.

I have been doing more casual riding and less commuting thanks to Covid19 and wanted to say I really love this bike at slow casual speeds with no assist. Its a fantastic bicycle! Very comfortable! I really like the Rohloff with no assist as well. Well done Pushkar!

Received my UC Pro this week with the Kindernay VII, gates belt, Magura MT-7 brakes, and Super Nova lights. Commuting is now a breeze, Kindernay is fantastic being able to shift down 3 gears at a time with only 7 gears. Gear 7 in eco mode put me at 37 mph with a moderate cadence. Sport mode drains the battery too fast, but eco mode is beyond amazing!

Received my UC Pro this week with the Kindernay VII, gates belt, Magura MT-7 brakes, and Super Nova lights. Commuting is now a breeze, Kindernay is fantastic being able to shift down 3 gears at a time with only 7 gears. Gear 7 in eco mode put me at 37 mph with a moderate cadence. Sport mode drains the battery too fast, but eco mode is beyond amazing!
The old classic from WW still pleases 👍

@Merlin, what size frame did you purchase?
I have the older style UC Pro frame (medium), with the fat bike wide rear hub. I have serious issues with chain skip in the 11t cog and the medium is too big for me (5'8").
When compared to other commuter ebikes my frame is actually a large.
Pushkar and I have worked out a deal were I will send the bike I have back when the new small-sized frames arrive.

I have the older style UC Pro frame (medium), with the fat bike wide rear hub. I have serious issues with chain skip in the 11t cog and the medium is too big for me (5'8").
Pushkar and I have worked out a deal were I will send the bike I have back when the new small-sized frames arrive.
Frames are in high demand with a limited supply, glad to hear you could obtain one. The large frame is a bit of a stretch with my 30 inch inseam, but it works for me. I am so happy to be commuting on a bike like this. The Magura 7mt brakes stop so fast that if i crank on them, the rear tire comes off the ground, lol. The Kindernay shifts at a stop, and I only have to down shift with one push doing three gears at a time. I seldom go to gear 7 which puts me well over 30 mph, and I am more comfortable at 28 mph or less. The Diamond DVO fork absorbs curb jumps like they don't exist. I have no negatives to report on the bike, which is rare for me, I seem to only give negative reviews most of the time on items I purchase.

IMO that frame works best with an IGH

I have an older frame, which is labelled a medium, but looking at the dimensions is, in reality, a large.
Pushkar had ordered some 'small' UC Pro frames, but when they arrived they were almost the same size as the mediums.
Pushkar ordered more resized frames and it looks like they are in.
I want a Kindernay Hub, that due to supply setbacks that may not be possible.
In the end I just want a drive line system that doesn't skip and a frame that fits me.

We took our motorhome down to Victoria, which is located at the bottom of Vancouver Island. This provincial capital city is very bike friendly and even though the weather wasn't all that good I did get in a couple of good rides.
This time I brought along the UC Pro and I'm glad I did. I usually do this scenic route around the downtown area of Victoria, which has a fair amount of hills, but they were no match for the Ultra motor.
During my ride I came across a statue of a past Victoria major and I had to stop for a photo.

IMG_2737.jpeg

Two days ago (Tuesday) I rode my UC Pro from my home to a town up island (I live on Vancouver Island, located off the coast of British Columbia, Canada. Total distance was 109km.
I met my wife at the 70km point and stopped for a short rest and a battery swap.
For 90% of the ride I kept the power in the first level, using level two only on the few hills on the ride. At the 70km point I still have 41% battery left.
Since I had another 37km to go I decided to switch to a fresh battery.
For the last 17km I kept the power on level two and cruised at 40-43kph. This bike flies!

For me, this is an odd bike, size-wise. I find the bike very tall, but the pedal-seat-handlebar ratio is just about perfect for me. Unfortunately, standover height is a bit of a nut-crusher (if I'm not careful).
This is, by far, the most comfortable bike I've every ridden. It's an absolute joy to ride.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 3.24.11 PM.png

Two days ago (Tuesday) I rode my UC Pro from my home to a town up island (I live on Vancouver Island, located off the coast of British Columbia, Canada. Total distance was 109km.
I met my wife at the 70km point and stopped for a short rest and a battery swap.
For 90% of the ride I kept the power in the first level, using level two only on the few hills on the ride. At the 70km point I still have 41% battery left.
Since I had another 37km to go I decided to switch to a fresh battery.
For the last 17km I kept the power on level two and cruised at 40-43kph. This bike flies!

For me, this is an odd bike, size-wise. I find the bike very tall, but the pedal-seat-handlebar ratio is just about perfect for me. Unfortunately, standover height is a bit of a nut-crusher (if I'm not careful).
This is, by far, the most comfortable bike I've every ridden. It's an absolute joy to ride.
How many Amp hour is your battery?

Back