WattWagon Ultimate Commuter Pro (UCP) in depth review

This does not make sense!?
My Ultimate Commuter has a quick release seat post, as well as pedals that have a quick release feature. When my ebike is secured with the ABUS Bordo, and lacks a seat and pedals it's a bit more of a deterrent than an ebike only secured with a lock. Granted, if my ebike has been singled out for thievery and a thief has made needed provisions then all bets are off. Let me know if you need more detail @webcurl.

My Ultimate Commuter has a quick release seat post, as well as pedals that have a quick release feature. When my ebike is secured with the ABUS Bordo, and lacks a seat and pedals it's a bit more of a deterrent than an ebike only secured with a lock. Granted, if my ebike has been singled out for thievery and a thief has made needed provisions then all bets are off. Let me know if you need more detail @webcurl.
OK, sorry, you take them off with the quick release, it all makes sense now. Yes, not a bad strategy at all, no seat, no pedals for quick get away, i like it. Not for me though, but respect!

Reactions: Ayl
Something I have started to notice is that trouble I sometimes have shifting/indexing of the Rohloff happens more in cold weather (let’s say under ~31 F).

This is because the oil in the hub has different viscosity. You need to change the oil proportion if you are leaving your bike in very cold condition.
Here is what Rohloff recommends:

Read more here: https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/faqs

1583465139133.png

1583465293014.png

This is because the oil in the hub has different viscosity. You need to change the oil proportion if you are leaving your bike in very cold condition.
Here is what Rohloff recommends:

Read more here: https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/faqs

Interesting I had no idea. Although I do not store my bike outside, its in the house or in a relatively warm underground parking garage. Even so this sounds like a good explanation.

I am happy with the power, I have not tried it with 750 yet, but I imagine decreasing it will make hill climbing slower (currently with a lot of hard peddling I can maintain 22-25 on the biggest hills I tackle daily). My main concern is for the health of the Rohloff, I would be very very sad if it were to fail. I failed to account for the more catastrophic nature of IGH gear failure vs easy to replace chain/cassettes.

Because of the amount of power it puts out and the occasional weird mis-shifts I have been stressed about damage. The shifts have been getting better, whether due to wear in, more experience, belt tension or a combination I am not sure, but mis-shifts happen less often (for a while is was several times every ride) so I am less stressed. And I have just about completely eliminated gear slip/skip using gears 5-6 to start out as Pushkar advised. it will be interesting to see what the correct starting gear with a 60 tooth front socket will be, 4-5?

I don't guess when it comes to adjusting belt tension, I have two belt tensioning tools which are very inexpensive and I check the belt after every ride. I have never had a belt skip, jump, or break on any of my belt drive bikes and I've been riding them for ages. You also mentioned gears skipping/jumping, that shouldn't be happening I would have the hub looked at. I don't baby mine and do a wheelie when it's safe from most lights and of course when traversing logs or other obstacles off road or on trails. Nice review, thanks. One of the tensioning tools I use is an app I downloaded from Gates which enables you to use you're phone to set the tension. That's free and easy to use and the other tool I use is a little spring loaded device available from Gates or on eBay for about $12.

I don't guess when it comes to adjusting belt tension, I have two belt tensioning tools which are very inexpensive and I check the belt after every ride. I have never had a belt skip, jump, or break on any of my belt drive bikes and I've been riding them for ages. You also mentioned gears skipping/jumping, that shouldn't be happening I would have the hub looked at. I don't baby mine and do a wheelie when it's safe from most lights and of course when traversing logs or other obstacles off road or on trails. Nice review, thanks. One of the tensioning tools I use is an app I downloaded from Gates which enables you to use you're phone to set the tension. That's free and easy to use and the other tool I use is a little spring loaded device available from Gates or on eBay for about $12.
After every ride? How often do you have to adjust? And i can't see where you can get a tension gauge for $12?

i check the tension after every ride I didn't say I adjusted it. Have you seen the various gauges? There's nothing to them, sorry if you paid more.

@webcurl, there are inexpensive tensioners available, but I've only used the Gates Carbon Belt drive android app and it's always worked for me: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gates.carbondrivecalculator&hl=en_US

Hi, the Gates app is good, I was getting inconsistent readings using my phone so I picked up the other tool on eBay but it turned out it was more my plucking than the app that was causing the inconsistencies, I just worked on refining my plucking. In my experience readings with the app do vary quite a bit though.

i check the tension after every ride I didn't say I adjusted it. Have you seen the various gauges? There's nothing to them, sorry if you paid more.
I've only ever used the app and yes it requires a quiet environment and practice "plucking".
But i've only ever adjusted the tension every 1500km or so, the carbon fibres hold true otherwise.

Back