WattWagon Ultimate Commuter Pro (UCP) in depth review

Around 80 rpm is my usually cadence for the UC Pro.
On most bikes a smaller chainring would be fine, but the chain cross in the smallest cogs (11 & 13) is horrendous, so I'm trying to get my cruising speed (20mph) with the chain sitting in the 4th or 5th rear cog.
To do this I have to move to a much larger front chainring.

My new 56t chainring arrived today and it's massive. Here's a size comparison (42t, 48t & 56t)

IMG_3113.jpeg

I have a 52 waiting for 1 of my WW, currently 44, It is a longer frame cargo bike . I think the longer distance helps with the chain line .I am going to larger ring so I am not in the small gear for 28mph cruising and wear it out and start with the jumping . I get about 800-1200 before chain replacement and the smaller 2 gears. I do long distance on smooth trails

I also ordered a 3mm chainring spacer which should be arriving soon. As I mentioned in a previous post, my goal is to reduce the cross chaining as much as possible at my cruising speed, which is around 20mph.
Opimax, what chain are you using?
I've ordered KMC X11 EPT chains. They're not cheap, but hopefully they'll give me a longer chain life.

i rely on shops I deal with. I mention what little I know about things like chains and leave the conversation with “will it work when you are done“ and let them make the choice. On chains I know things like narrow/wide , harden steel or similar, lesser number of gears means more strength to a certain degree , KMC is mentioned most what I read.

they can do anything they want as long as it works including ignore me.

i do not work on my bikes…much

i tend to try expensive parts hoping the quality is there

i look forward to hearing your saga. Currently running on the original sized gear train until it wears out then off to shop with new front gear I already have and they can do whatever they want to make it fly smoothly

ps I would give up some gears if the chain wouldn’t skip and last . The thought being the chain line doesn’t have to move as far

56t chainring is installed, along with a 3mm spacer. Now I'm waiting for my new chain to arrive. Interestingly enough, the best price I could find is from a German online bike company.
It takes considerably longer for the chain to arrive, compared to driving down to my local bike store and buying one (if they have one in stock), but the savings is substantial.
Here's a photo of the spacer/56t chainring/longer chainring bolts installed:

IMG_3120.jpeg

For anyone wondering (is anyone still coming to this WW forum?) I still have a ton of frame clearance with this 56t ring. Using a fat bike spider helps. :cool:

IMG_3121.jpeg

I posted this elsewhere, My UC Pro now has the new 3x3 Nine IGH with a belt drive, and it is performing extremely well! The first three gears are so low that in power level one and a quick downstroke of the pedal, the front comes off the ground, and with a 42T front sprocket, it easily goes over 28mph with a 60 cadence. It shifts at a stop or under power, but I find it shifts better with a pause in pedaling when down shifting. It handles 250 nm of torque, and requires no annual maintenance. My Kindernay failed, and the chain option is not really an option, which leaves this the only road to follow.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    940.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 22
Did you have any problems lining up the front ring with the rear cog? I imagine if the 'chain line' isn't perfectly straight the belt will not stay centered.

Did you have any problems lining up the front ring with the rear cog? I imagine if the 'chain line' isn't perfectly straight the belt will not stay centered.
No problems at all. I had a local bike shop do the wheel build. All parts were supplied by VPL.bike in Colorado. I did make the mistake of ordering the wrong brake adapater, but VPL sent the right one out right away. Everything lined up perfectly. It has a new 32T rear cog and a 42T front sprocket which came with the bike from WW. I originally had a Kindernay which failed shortly after purchase, so I had the sprocket already.

I posted this elsewhere, My UC Pro now has the new 3x3 Nine IGH with a belt drive, and it is performing extremely well! The first three gears are so low that in power level one and a quick downstroke of the pedal, the front comes off the ground, and with a 42T front sprocket, it easily goes over 28mph with a 60 cadence. It shifts at a stop or under power, but I find it shifts better with a pause in pedaling when down shifting. It handles 250 nm of torque, and requires no annual maintenance. My Kindernay failed, and the chain option is not really an option, which leaves this the only road to follow.
Looks great are you having any belt slippage, Where did you purchase the 3x3 hub?

2 bikes have belt slippage and belt pop off issues, something needs to change or they are paper weights. I have 1 watt wagon with a chain where the bike has no power and batteries are good , stopped in the middle of use. It is no a UC but a cargo bike

Back