Fulfilling a dream

JedidiahStolzfus

Region
USA
City
Lancaster, PA
My wife and I have been working towards starting our own food truck for about 15 years. Of course, this is a difficult thing to do considering kids, school, and all the other things that crop up in life that just get in the way of fulfilling your dreams.

We originally were looking at trucks, but it's tough finding them, that they'll work with our menu, and at an affordable price. Then I hit some horses and killed our Suburban. We had never thought of getting a trailer because I knew the suburban wasn't gonna wanna pull a heavy trailer. When we got the Sierra, suddenly getting a trailer was a possibility. Last tuesday, one came up that suited our needs and was well within our price range.

Like most things that I buy, it needs work, but it's completely outfitted already and originally cost $26,000. We bought it for $3000. It is a salvage because it was in a crash, but a minor one. It currently doesn't have an axle, and the compressor unit for the fridge is nearly ripped off. The skylight is broken and there's glass everywhere. All of that is easily fixed.

We didn't know anything about the damage though when we contacted the guy. Wednesday and thursday I was out so I left it up to my wife to contact the guy. She talked to him several times over those days, and apparently charmed the hell out of him. Original price was $3500, he sold it to us for $3000, which is what he paid for it. Helluva a nice guy. I called him on thursday evening to ask him some questions that she didn't. First thing he said was that my wife was so nice and sweet and that I'm lucky to have her. I thanked him and told him I know. I asked him if we came down tomorrow could I leave him with $500 cash to hold it until we could get the rest of the money. He said he couldn't do that because he had two other guys coming on friday afternoon to potentially buy it. That got me down because I knew we didn't have $3000 cash laying around anymore due to some other things we had to pay for recently.

Got home and told my wife, that he wouldn't take a partial payment to hold it. Then she surprises me, she's been squirreling away money just in case something like this came up. We called him back and said we'd be down on friday morning to take a look.

Friday morning we get up bright and early, go to the bank and get the money and then head down to Aberdeen, MD. We sat down with him for a while and made small talk, just to get to know each other, he's a man of morals and conviction and runs a salvage yard. Very nice and friendly, but I could tell he's also not someone to mess with, he's gotta be tough being in the tow and salvage business. We go out back and there it is, sitting up on cinderblocks.

We spend about 45 minutes going through it, taking pictures and talking about things we could do and what we'd need to do to fix it, and how do we get it home with it having no axle. We decide that we'll work it out, we have enough friends that we'll figure out how to get it home. Head back inside to talk to the guy and tell him we're buying it. He's happy because the one guy that was coming in this afternoon was a real asshole and he's happy it's going to us.

While he's doing the paper work, I'm already on the phone with a friend to get him working on how we get it home. Initial idea was to drag it onto a flat bed trailer, but then the problem of getting it off came up. We'd have to drag it off onto blocks or stands, something we couldn't really do with the layout of our driveway. Nevertheless we knew we'd come up with something. Money and title are exchanged and we own it. He's ok with us keeping it down there until we can figure out how to get it home. Super nice guy, told him we'd invite him and his employees up for the grand opening.

We head off, wife is giddy, and I'm excitofied (combo of excited and terrified). Meanwhile, we have to get back home, and get packed for our weekend in woods for my birthday. We spend the hour drive home braining storming ideas. This dream went from on tuesday night being "how are we going to get this done" to "it's happening RFN" We had a couple months worth of work to get it ready. We do already have suppliers lined up for our menu. Our focus is on local suppliers, nothing will come from Sysco.

The kids are all on board, #1 and #2 will work with me in the kitchen taking turns from day to day. #3 is marketing and scheduling. She's very good at that. She'll also work the front taking orders and money. #4 will also be working front, but also running his own venture at the same time, selling fresh popcorn.

Pictures of the outside
DW3t0l.jpg

NEWrRx.jpg

nsQxsa.jpg

Z7OCBS.jpg

Other than the axle missing, this is the only real damage on it. The corner where the fridge compressor sits got ripped off. The compressor is still attached by the copper lines. My question is, if I cut those lines so that this compressor can be removed and the trailer hauled home, can they be reattached somehow? Can the compressor be recharged with coolant? I know I'd need a professional HVAC guy to do the job, but can it be done?

BRO6LL.jpg

Our cabin in the woods was a lot of fun, and you couldn't really find a more secluded spot.
DiaHmD.jpg

hafLNb.jpg

7Ony46.jpg

After we backed the truck 1/2 mile down the trail, I had to back it up the trail after getting down there and finding there was no way to turn around.
RsOLm2.jpg

Earlier this week we had pulled the trailer hitch off the truck because it was rusted through, I had actually pushed my finger through it. When we got home today, #2 helped me install a new one in about 20 minutes.
lhTomQ.jpg

I have a brake controller on the way to install because eventually I'd like to put an axle with brakes on.

That's it, we've been working on this for years, and we're very excited.

15 years is a long time for a dream. Some people sadly never reach their dream. So glad you stuck it out.
Having your family involved is a great experience for them. It will be something they will always remember. Good things... of course. :)
Wish you all the success in your new venture.

15 years is a long time for a dream. Some people sadly never reach their dream. So glad you stuck it out.
Having your family involved is a great experience for them. It will be something they will always remember. Good things... of course. :)
Wish you all the success in your new venture.
Thanks, we've been working on menu items throughout all of this. I grow my own hot peppers and bottle my own buffalo sauce. I've been practicing with other dishes all this time, I can make standard american comfort foods, italian and asian, plus a "fusion" of those.

Congrats on fulfilling your dream and having family involved makes it even more special.

I spent a good part of my life in the restaurant business and admit that it had it’s ups and downs. We had our own truck and off site catering was one aspect of the business that I actually enjoyed.

Location, location, location has generally been the mantra of most restauranteurs but, in your case, that won't apply. Kudos! 👍

Thanks, we've been working on menu items throughout all of this. I grow my own hot peppers and bottle my own buffalo sauce. I've been practicing with other dishes all this time, I can make standard american comfort foods, italian and asian, plus a "fusion" of those.
Maybe a “prune smoothie” would be a good choice for your “regular” customers!! 😉

here in Portland we have food pods where a few or a bunch of food truck/trailers are all together. they are all over the place anymore so a ton of competition. every kind of food you can imagine. they get rated too. too bad few of them I can eat at.

Waffle and white chicken breast tender are my go to for breakfast.
When you pedal your ass out here, I'll make sure I have that available.
here in Portland we have food pods where a few or a bunch of food truck/trailers are all together. they are all over the place anymore so a ton of competition. every kind of food you can imagine. they get rated too. too bad few of them I can eat at.
There are trucks around, but none with our menu, and they generally won't be in the areas we'll be going to. I have #3, our marketing director, researching the trucks, their menus and where they go.

Congrats! That is soooo cool! I had a friend buy one of those pedal ice cream bikes as kinda a joke. He then got his vendors license and all that health department stuff and tried it out one summer. He made good money! Then he purchased another one and had his brother ride it, they did really good again. So what does he do now? Owns a small fleet of ice cream trucks, I think it was 5 last I spoke to him.

We want your full menu listed when you start! Make us find you at a event when we're in your neck of the woods!

Congrats! That is soooo cool! I had a friend buy one of those pedal ice cream bikes as kinda a joke. He then got his vendors license and all that health department stuff and tried it out one summer. He made good money! Then he purchased another one and had his brother ride it, they did really good again. So what does he do now? Owns a small fleet of ice cream trucks, I think it was 5 last I spoke to him.

We want your full menu listed when you start! Make us find you at a event when we're in your neck of the woods!
If I have it ready in time for the TP tunnels, expect to see it there. :) I was just going to bring a couple of camp stoves, but this would be so much more fun.

What a great story! Congrats Jedidiah and family! Here's to you on an upcoming episode of the Great Food Truck Race!

What a great story! Congrats Jedidiah and family! Here's to you on an upcoming episode of the Great Food Truck Race!
We used to watch that. First couple of seasons were ok. But like all of these "reality" shows, they're far from actual reality. They throw challenges to them that just aren't reasonable. Plus the manufactured drama is distracting. The fact that most of the time they just can park somewhere and setup without actually getting permission or required permits in many cities just isn't realistic. Out here, I can setup just about anywhere with just my business license and passed inspection from DoH. Unless I go into the city, then I need to pay for an additional license. Guess where we won't be setting up? :) We will be seeking permission before we setup though. That's also part of the job of our marketing manager, our 15yr old daughter.

Our plan is to spend a good part of our time in the plain community functions. So far, all of our suppliers we've talked to are part of that community. That's our focus. We have to get a roll supplier, but there's lots of bakeries of various sizes, so I'm sure we can find one.

Some of those functions are mud sales, estate auctions, horse auctions, fairs, and maybe family events. There's a large horse auction 3 times a year in another state. I've been there a few times, and every time there's only 2 or 3 other food trucks there and they're not serving anything like we are, mostly snack type food. These auctions run all day for the entire weekend starting on friday morning. There's thousands of plan folk that show up, Amish, Mennonite, Brethren and so forth. With those thousands of plain folk, there's hundreds of drivers that just drove them hundreds if not a thousand miles and they're looking for a hot meal.

The trailer is our starting point, we want to eventually expand into a truck so we can expand our menu. Used trucks are selling for $35K and up. I've done a lot of deals on Craigslist, this one is probably the largest spread between value and purchase price, even if we have to put a couple thousand into it to get it running.

This is awesome! With the truck, you can set up anywhere. Probably even run deliveries on an electric bike. ;)

Years ago, my wife and I enjoyed going to different food trucks. Many different trucks would gather at a large parking lot, on particular days, and we have a feast. Something from each truck. We would “follow”(on social media) trucks that we liked and meet them at their next location. They are so fun! Don’t ever judge a food truck, some of the best food I’ve had came off a food truck. It was a $8 corn on the cob! Little crispy bits of lamd, drizzle of yogurt, spices, mmmmm.

Cheers to you and your new adventure!

If you're ever going to be near Quakertown, I'll tell my daughter she must find your food truck.

This is awesome! With the truck, you can set up anywhere. Probably even run deliveries on an electric bike. ;)

Years ago, my wife and I enjoyed going to different food trucks. Many different trucks would gather at a large parking lot, on particular days, and we have a feast. Something from each truck. We would “follow”(on social media) trucks that we liked and meet them at their next location. They are so fun! Don’t ever judge a food truck, some of the best food I’ve had came off a food truck. It was a $8 corn on the cob! Little crispy bits of lamd, drizzle of yogurt, spices, mmmmm.

Cheers to you and your new adventure!
That actually isn't a bad idea. Only problem is, I'm the chief cook and bottle washer, so I can't readily be making deliveries, and I don't want my kids doing it.

$8 corn on the cob is highway robbery, even if it's coated in gold leaf. I can't wait for corn season to happen around here. Lancaster has the best sweet corn in the country. Last summer I was in the grocery store and I overheard a lady from NJ say "oh, all of this is white corn, they don't have any yellow" Yeah, lady, we eat the good corn, not the stuff that's fed to cows. There are times the tourists will steal corn from the fields. I wish I could see the look o their faces when the bite into the feed corn that's planted in most places. The sweet corn isn't normally accessible from the roadsides.

An ex-girlfriend started a BBQ food truck, I think it's called the Smoke House or Smoke Shack. The trailer is built like a little shed. I haven't spoken to her in ages, nothing bad between us, we just went separate ways. I wonder if she's still doing it? I'll say this about her, she was a do it yourself go getter! A mutual friend said he saw her at the last Pungo Strawberry Festival. We have a food truck rodeo at our local outlet mall but I work Monday to Friday and I think the event is on a Thursday night.

I was talking to the family that owns the horses today and told them about buying the trailer, since without me killing their horse, this probably would't have happened. They're very happy about it because it's just another good thing that came out of the bad.
I told him that our 11yr old is going to be running the side deal of making and selling fresh popcorn. Here's how it went:
Me: I know this farmer that happens to grow popcorn.
Him: Oh?
Me: Yeah, I hear he lives on <redacted> road.
Him: Oh? I don't think I ever met him <big smile>
Him: My wife probably met him though.
He played right along with me being coy. I think we have a source for fresh popcorn.

Back