Zen - 2023 updates from Halifax, Canada

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Apologies for not being able to respond to some of the messages here. The last few weeks have been super busy at Zen HQ in Halifax.
A couple of updates:
  1. Earlier this week, Zen E-bikes was selected into one of the prestigious accelerator programs in Atlantic Canada.
    This is opening up doors with other investors, resources, and Govt funding. We will share more pictures and details on our new website.

2. We are busy with testing materials to build a really high-quality battery system for our bikes. Our goal is to design a pack that will offer thousands of cycles of usage (50,000 kms or more of usable life)
    To be able to do that, we are testing the latest 21700 cells from LG, Panasonic, Sanyo etc. along with our own custom cells here.
    We will publish the benchmark results on our website.

3. We are in the process of moving to a dedicated warehouse and hiring experienced mechanics.

4. Website work was delayed as we switched the agency that was involved in development work but that is resolved now.

5. We are really fortunate to work with the very best scientists. We have access to a vast array of testing equipment. For example, we could cycle a min of 300 cells at a time. (upto 3000 cells at a time).
    The ultra-high precision coulometry offers deep insights into how long the cells may last at any desired temperature range. Here are some of the images of testing equipment we are using to build these higher quality battery packs.

1633132079532.png

Last edited:
@Ravi Kempaiah what's the link to your website. When I go to zenbikes.com I get a security/privacy notice (which I didn't get a few months ago). You allude above to the website being fixed, so I'd love to see your new content as I plan my next purchase.

@Ravi Kempaiah what's the link to your website. When I go to zenbikes.com I get a security/privacy notice (which I didn't get a few months ago). You allude above to the website being fixed, so I'd love to see your new content as I plan my next purchase.

Thanks for this note.
We are moving the entire website from a WordPress-based system to a more flexible system that is built from scratch. The older WordPress is not configured right and we did not bother to change it as it will be replaced soon.
The new page is not up yet. We are still waiting on payment gateway verification and a few final things. As we investing significant money into this, we wanted to ensure it works flawlessly before opening it up to the public.
We have lots of material/parts waiting with us but we have not taken customer's money and this is done consciously to ensure they have a seamless experience once they purchase our product.

Thanks for this note.
We are moving the entire website from a WordPress-based system to a more flexible system that is built from scratch. The older WordPress is not configured right and we did not bother to change it as it will be replaced soon.
The new page is not up yet. We are still waiting on payment gateway verification and a few final things. As we investing significant money into this, we wanted to ensure it works flawlessly before opening it up to the public.
We have lots of material/parts waiting with us but we have not taken customer's money and this is done consciously to ensure they have a seamless experience once they purchase our product.
A stark contrast in philosophy from my prior experience.

We think that what is happening in the E-mobility space is just not good for EV enthusiast consumers and it is not sustainable from technology or business point of view.
On one side, Tesla/VW are trying to bring the cost down to $100 / kWh and offer an 8+ yr warranty on the battery pack.
Here in the E-bike industry, companies are putting less than mediocre batteries costing $1000/ kWh or more with 1-2yr warranty.

So, we test all commercial cells and design the BMS to maximize the lifespan. We are doing our homework to offer a min of 3yr warranty even on our base models that cost ~2K.
Our goal is to offer a min of 5yr warranty by 2023, bring the cost down cosniderably and build the best battery pack.

1637620911670.png

We have amazing investors and advisors and they have been kind enough to connect us with amazing resources.
As Tesla is growing in size, their small R+D center in Canada is moving to a larger space. We will be occupying their space sometime this Spring.
Just one side of the small R+D center is shown in this picture and the adjacent portion will be our warehouse. All our assembly, service/storage would happen in these two industrial spaces.
Really excited to build high-quality E-bikes right here in N. America.

1643216676925.png

Are you implying that you are supported by Tesla???

We are not directly supported by Tesla. Our advisor/investor is the Tesla Canada Chair and we have a lot of strong research contacts.
When Tesla Canada decided to move to a larger space, our investors were kind enough to offer that lease to us so we could begin our E-bike production in late April.

Today we had the pleasure of hosting Dr. Jeff Dahn, the key Advisor for Zen, and NSERC / Tesla Canada Chair.
Dr. Dahn has been instrumental in the growth of our company and shares his wealth of knowledge to support our mission of building the best electric bikes.
Watch out for this space for a deep-dive, hour-long interview with Dr. Dahn next month.

Zen_Jeff_1.jpg

Lots of things happening in the background. We are waiting on the customs and shipping agreement from UPS to come through so we can start shipping the bikes in about 10 days. I still need to reach out to a few key customers and I will do so. Not to interject my personal stuff but my father passed away and I am traveling to India for that reason. But, I am accessible via email or WhatsApp, or text. A couple of high-level updates.
  • A container of samurai frames is on the way to us (somewhere in the pacific ocean and should reach Vancouver)
  • We signed an agreement with UL to get our E-bikes UL-certified and that process has begun. It's a lengthy process costing more than $150,000
  • Our Shakti bikes are entering production (finally!)
  • We are excited to show you our 2023 models but first, we are eager to get the Samurai bikes out to our pre-order customers.
  • Pre-order folks, thanks for your patience! we are very close. Our team can fill you in on details.
    Please reach out at any time: [email protected]

Condolences Ravi
Lots of things happening in the background. We are waiting on the customs and shipping agreement from UPS to come through so we can start shipping the bikes in about 10 days. I still need to reach out to a few key customers and I will do so. Not to interject my personal stuff but my father passed away and I am traveling to India for that reason. But, I am accessible via email or WhatsApp, or text. A couple of high-level updates.
  • A container of samurai frames is on the way to us (somewhere in the pacific ocean and should reach Vancouver)
  • We signed an agreement with UL to get our E-bikes UL-certified and that process has begun. It's a lengthy process costing more than $150,000
  • We are excited to show you our 2023 models but first, we are eager to get the Samurai bikes out to our pre-order customers.
  • Pre-order folks, thanks for your patience! we are very close. Our team can fill you in on details.

My Condolences 💐 may your father rests in peace.

Back