Zen Photon - [1000Wh] battery, [500W/120Nm] Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle, USD 3799 [Pictures and Specifications]

Frame is nice.
gusset on seat post tube probably to handle tourqe to minimize Frame deflection.
Weld beads look solid. Similar to.my Bulls frame made in Vietnam.
It does feel solid and the suspension though simple is more than adequate for the trails I ride. Nothing technical but some do have a lot of rocks, roots and ditches. On a paved trail it's very smooth and it rides nicely through a grass field.
It is heavy weighing in at 77lbs but can easily be ridden with no motor on pavement and the M620 makes the weight negligible in all circumstances.

Last edited:
I am a fan of bafang motors as it is not a proprietary one and can be fixed easily by any one as parts are easily available if needed. I avoid custom motors as being developed by many bike manufacturers.

Zen Photon Pro is available for test ride and purchase from Chattanooga E-bikes in Tennessee, US.

1697226375179.png

The Zen Photon now has an available larger (3.5" diagonal) display. Zen is so totally into responding to customers. This larger display is a perfect example.

I love the current Photon display which is minimalist. The display itself has control buttons on it. I don't like these big separate display as I like clean cockpit.

I love the current Photon display which is minimalist. The display itself has control buttons on it. I don't like these big separate display as I like clean cockpit.
Each to their own.
On an ebike I like a big display, so it's easy to read at just a glance. This is not the case with the Photon's display on a sunny day.
I'll have to PM Ravi on the possibility of exchanging my wife's display.

Each to their own.
On an ebike I like a big display, so it's easy to read at just a glance. This is not the case with the Photon's display on a sunny day.
I'll have to PM Ravi on the possibility of exchanging my wife's display.
I concur... I sometimes tetter between minimalist and what works best and more often side with practicality.
Having a display that's centered, large and bright enough to be read at a quick glance in all lighting when navigating the terrain requires my full attention works best for me. Though many times it just give me something somewhat interesting and easy to look at in relation to what I'm doing.

Last edited:
We appreciate the input from the community here.
We have had diverse requests from people. I will share some insights from the Zen side:
  • Some folks want the longest-range battery possible, while others want a lighter bike with a smaller battery. We decided to go with the highest range battery because I have not had anyone complain about longer range but when you limit the battery to 650Whr, some people do complain about that. Many bikes come with dual batteries but that adds complexity as well. Except for Bosch, there are not many thought-out dual battery setups that exist. Both batteries need to be charged separately and this is not the most elegant solution. So, to simplify, we decided to offer the highest capacity battery, and we believe the Photon is not heavier than any fat-tired E-bike available. Many customers are used to these fat tire bikes and once you factor in heavy-duty-Enviolo IGH and a 1040Whr battery, the weight is quite reasonable.

• To maintain the cockpit clean of all the wires, we put in a more compact display but some people prefer a larger display. For us, what is more important is that the display shows accurate data, and it is very reliable. Customers may not care about the parts supply 3 years down the line but as a company, we need to think through and provide support for many years to come. This means vetting different display vendors and working with them to customize the display for the communication protocol used in our batteries.
    Right now, we are still testing the larger display and making sure the communication protocol with the battery works very well.

Last edited:
That's a very nice looking bike. I am starting to think about my next ebike, and that one certainly makes the list (Specialized also in the running). I do like the adjustable handlebar feature. My current bike (Ariel Rider C class) has that also, but it's frame is too big for me to make use of a dropper post. Does the Zen Photon come in a smallish frame?

Inasmuch as I would prefer to buy through an LBS, I'm wondering if you would be considering Earl's bike shop in Bellingham, WA? Currently, they carry Gazelle.

Last edited:
Wow, this bike looks fantastic. What is the weight limit for this bike? I'm 195lbs, do you think this bike can handle me and a 40lbs bag of dog food?

Wow, this bike looks fantastic. What is the weight limit for this bike? I'm 195lbs, do you think this bike can handle me and a 40lbs bag of dog food?
Yes, it will easily handle that. Every component on this bike is designed to handle heavy-duty usage. We have a few customers over 250 lbs and have no problem riding up steep hills.

That's a very nice looking bike. I am starting to think about my next ebike, and that one certainly makes the list (Specialized also in the running). I do like the adjustable handlebar feature. My current bike (Ariel Rider C class) has that also, but it's frame is too big for me to make use of a dropper post. Does the Zen Photon come in a smallish frame?

Inasmuch as I would prefer to buy through an LBS, I'm wondering if you would be considering Earl's bike shop in Bellingham, WA? Currently, they carry Gazelle.

We have both 17" and 19" frame sizes. For anyone under 5ft 10", a 17" frame is a much better option. We could also install a 15Ah battery instead of a 20Ah one to lower the weight.
We would be happy to work with Earl's bike shop in Bellingham and coordinate the assembly and service.

We have both 17" and 19" frame sizes. For anyone under 5ft 10", a 17" frame is a much better option. We could also install a 15Ah battery instead of a 20Ah one to lower the weight.
We would be happy to work with Earl's bike shop in Bellingham and coordinate the assembly and service.
Haha I'm
Yes, it will easily handle that. Every component on this bike is designed to handle heavy-duty usage. We have a few customers over 250 lbs and have no problem riding up steep hills.
Thanks for the quick reply, Ravi.
I am in the market for an ebike to replace my car. I was looking at a couple of cargo bikes (Dost Crate and Vvolt PIE). I wasn't sure if I needed an all out cargo bike.
I found your company through these forums. The Photon may just be the right bike for me; mid motor, belt drive, and some cargo capacity.

Back