Zen Photon - [1000Wh] battery, [500W/120Nm] Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle, USD 3799 [Pictures and Specifications]

Hi Ravi, any chance that you have a bike shop in the Saint John NB area interested in carrying your fine bikes? I would love to test ride Photon, but Halifax is a bit of a hike for me.

Hi Ravi, any chance that you have a bike shop in the Saint John NB area interested in carrying your fine bikes? I would love to test ride Photon, but Halifax is a bit of a hike for me.

If you have any suggestions for any store, we could contact them and bring some bikes for them and you to test ride.

The initial feedback from customers about this bike has been very positive.
An early pre-order customer testimony:

"Hi Ravi,
Today we picked-up the PHOTON E-bikes from the shop.
They look amazing, we really like them and are so much looking forward for having the first tour.
Thank you so much for giving us the chance to use your loaner bikes first, and now for having these perfect looking bikes air shipped to Canada, so that we can enjoy them
."

Someone asked about the charger.
The charger is a 4A UL-certified one and the box comes with tool kit.

1691196849974.png

Some local customers here in Canada, who had pre-ordered it, received the bike last week.
This gentleman had a few other brands, finally tired of dealing with chain/derailleur maitnenace on his bikes (Canada has a lot of road salt during the winter months), he was thrilled to be able to ride a belt-driven E-bike product.

1691264631091.png

Sure, we can make that happen if you are interested. We would test it first and make sure it works very well.
I know some other brands have had issues with the Automatiq shifter. Have you tested one and liked it?
I’d definitely be more interested in the Photon given an Enviolo Automatiq option. I’ve got bikes with their 380 Trekking hub and manual shift, but for a long about town bike, in our hilly region, auto shifting seems like a neat idea. As R&M offers the Automatiq setup now, on a number of models, there must be a trusted reliability in the new releases.

@etchlings , @srl1_sd ,
We will install the Enviolo Automatiq on the Photon by the end of this month.
A couple of comments:
We have tuned the motor such that its torque sensor is smooth and the initial engagement is relatively quick. Because the motor has much more power than Bosch, we wanted to be careful so the bike doesn't take off. After a year of testing, I think we have accomplished that. @Deacon Blues will be able to provide his feedback by the end of the month on this one.

Last edited:
If you do end up implementing the Automatiq, do you know if your motor provider would be able to integrate the controls like Bafang did?

And if they do, Offering the ability to set the drive in manual or Automatiq would be great and expand the target customer, as some may just want it for the Elektronic shifting.
I actually think they should have called it an electronic shifter with an AutomatiQ option :)

The only thing I think Enviolo missed is to provide a way to do that on their wireless shifter, so people would not have to go through the app for it. they have enough button on the shifter that they could have use to create such a mode change ...

Last edited:
If you do end up implementing the Automatiq, do you know if your motor provider would be able to integrate the controls like Bafang did?

Bafang's implementation is not entirely done yet. I don't think it is foolproof yet.

Some local Canadian customers having a great time on the new Photon E-bike on their maiden trip across the Atlantic Canadian coast.
If you have not been to Atlantic Canada, you should check out the Cabot Trail. It is one of the most beautiful places in east coast for bike touring.

1691433165572.png

1691433256192.png

Congrats on a beautiful bike! As a bike commuter, that definitely meets my needs and more! I would be happy to recommend that to friends, family, colleagues looking for a great bike under $4K! Love to see you offering a 2 year warranty. My bike came with a 1 year and for the price, a 2 year warranty would have offered great peace of mind. Didn't have any warranty issues in year 2 anyways.

Ravi, looking at the handlebar grips I can't see how a bar-end mirror can be mounted. Usually, the end of the grip can be taken off or cut out and the mirror mounting plug put through the hole and tighten on the inside of the handlebar, but with the grips on the Photon the tightening bolt for the grips is also on the end of the grip.
What mirror would I be able to mount with this grip?

@etchlings , @srl1_sd ,
We will install the Enviolo Automatiq on the Photon by the end of this month.
A couple of comments:
We have tuned the motor such that its torque sensor is smooth and the initial engagement is relatively quick. Because the motor has much more power than Bosch, we wanted to be careful so the bike doesn't take off. After a year of testing, I think we have accomplished that. @Deacon Blues will be able to provide his feedback by the end of the month on this one.
Very excited to hear how the Photon performs with Enviolo Automatiq option!

Special message to UPS.....Please don't drop my wife's bike/box off the back of your delivery truck (again). :rolleyes:

Ravi, looking at the handlebar grips I can't see how a bar-end mirror can be mounted. Usually, the end of the grip can be taken off or cut out and the mirror mounting plug put through the hole and tighten on the inside of the handlebar, but with the grips on the Photon the tightening bolt for the grips is also on the end of the grip.
What mirror would I be able to mount with this grip?

Something like this would work well. Hafny and other brands have such mirrors.

Back